Is there any section where I can get help with plot-making?

Started by Icelandic, October 04, 2018, 03:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icelandic

More or less what it says on the label, but I can definitely go into more detail.

Basically, I want to switch up my RP themes. I think I have pretty unique plots, but I want something truly special. Now I am a pretty damn good world-builder, and character creator, however turning these fully fleshed out worlds and characters into a cohesive plot is something that I am having a bit of difficulty with.

Is there any place here where I can share my ideas and brainstorm with others about making a plot? Not RPing with the other people of course, but just helping form an idea. The 'Literary Discussion' place seemed like the closest match, keeping in mind that I already am done with the world and character building aspect, but I just wanted to ask.

... And sorry for the new help request by the way. I feel like this is my fourth one. :c
Please, do stay a while, and warm up my icy heart~.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

My main request thread. (Always open!)

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Aug 14) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Icelandic

I have considered that, but I am looking for something where people can collaborate with me, plus I have the world building aspect all done. And even the characters.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Sain

I made a discussion thread there for worldbuilding yesterday :P I suppose you could talk about plots there too.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Lexandria

In the world building section you can ask for feedback from others (by making an 'open' thread), and if you set up the world you want to write in, you could do that in the first post and then mention you're wanting to collaborate plot ideas for the world you set up. I'm sure you'll get some feedback that way, and some folks to bounce ideas off of, as that's a good area to do that in. Literary Discussions is more about published works and critiques, which (I think?) isn't quite what you're looking for?

Also, the help section is for folks wanting help: you're looking for help, so I'm happy you posted here. There's no limit to how many help requests you can put in :D No need to apologize. I'm sure others will find this topic useful too, so asking for help here also ends up helping others, which is always a good thing.

Icelandic

Quote from: Lexandria on October 04, 2018, 04:58:28 AM
In the world building section you can ask for feedback from others (by making an 'open' thread), and if you set up the world you want to write in, you could do that in the first post and then mention you're wanting to collaborate plot ideas for the world you set up. I'm sure you'll get some feedback that way, and some folks to bounce ideas off of, as that's a good area to do that in. Literary Discussions is more about published works and critiques, which (I think?) isn't quite what you're looking for?

I suppose I could do that. I just noticed that not too many people pop in even when the 'open' sign is up. Maybe I should make it clear in the title that I am looking to collab a plot together?

Quote from: Lexandria on October 04, 2018, 04:58:28 AM
Also, the help section is for folks wanting help: you're looking for help, so I'm happy you posted here. There's no limit to how many help requests you can put in :D No need to apologize. I'm sure others will find this topic useful too, so asking for help here also ends up helping others, which is always a good thing.

Thank you! :)

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Lexandria

You're welcome!

You can also link in your signature, if you want, indicating you'd love feedback there, and/or in your search thread and/or on/off thread, too. That way folks who like your current ideas will know you're looking to collaborate on some others, too.

Icelandic

Quote from: Lexandria on October 04, 2018, 05:47:13 AM
You're welcome!

You can also link in your signature, if you want, indicating you'd love feedback there, and/or in your search thread and/or on/off thread, too. That way folks who like your current ideas will know you're looking to collaborate on some others, too.

Eh... I doubt that would catch any bites. I'll try the worldbuilding section. If that doesn't work, I dunno... Maybe the ladies section? That seems like a casual place to ask for help... Although I dunno if I should ask there either. Maybe the on topic section?

Also, side-question. Does me quoting people in my responses like, ping them to let them know that I responded?

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Lilias

Quote from: Icelandic on October 04, 2018, 05:55:22 AM
Also, side-question. Does me quoting people in my responses like, ping them to let them know that I responded?

Unfortunately, no. If they have the thread bookmarked, the orange button will show you posted, but there's no way of knowing who exactly you're replying to without opening the thread.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Aug 14) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Icelandic

Ah, fair enough. I was just wondering if I needed to be quoting other people in order to keep the conversation going. :)

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Lilias

Quoting is a good strategy anyway, especially if a thread picks up pace and there are several people participating.
~Wendell Berry

Annisthyrienne

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but in the Finders and Seekers section, I created a thread where I share story ideas with whoever wants them.  The link is in my signature.

But it sounds like you have the ideas, and just want help fleshing them out.  I'd be happy to help if I can.  My PM box is open.  When people run a spark of an idea by me, my mind just starts coming up with possibilities.  It's kind of a curse, really, because I get the feeling it comes across as 'Okay, you're idea was good, but here is one even better.'  That's not how I mean it of course.  I just get excited about possibilities and that's how my mind works.  it's why I have so many ideas for stories that I put them in a place where other people can help themselves to them.  I couldn't possibly write them all, even if I wanted to.