You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 20, 2019, 01:14:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

"The Proposition"
Congratulations Mr Quixotic & Holly Marlow for completing your RP!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Power supply comparisons?  (Read 840 times)

Online OniyaTopic starter

Power supply comparisons?
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
Does anyone know of a good site where I can punch in model numbers and get a comparison between two computer power supplies?

Little Oni's computer cut out last night - no warning, no error message.  Leaving it overnight didn't result in being able to start it up again, so overheating is not the primary cause.  I'm betting it's the power supply, since it doesn't even spin up the fan.  I happen to have another machine lying around that I could theoretically cannibalize - if I can determine it's safe to do so.  Both machines are Dells, but of somewhat different vintage (the newer one was a 580, the older one doesn't seem to have a model name/number on it.)

Offline HockeyGod

Re: Power supply comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
Do you want something like this?

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
No - I've opened up both cases, and have the model numbers of the existing power supplies.

1) HiPro HP-P3017F3
2) Dell NPS-250KB F

I want to know if I can take 2) out of the old machine, slot it into the new machine, and not have things go boom.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
Having a too powerful power supply is not a problem. To weak can be. nr1 is a 250 and nr 2 is 300. So unless the old one she had in was the 300 and that berely cut it you shouldn't have a problem.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:35 PM »
Got that switched around, Sara, 2) is 250W and 1) is 300W >_>

If the connectors are the same, you may by able to get away with it if you don't have excess peripherals.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 05:09:37 PM »
oopss :) need more coffee. thanks for the catch.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Got that switched around, Sara, 2) is 250W and 1) is 300W >_>

If the connectors are the same, you may by able to get away with it if you don't have excess peripherals.

Speakers, keyboard, monitor, and mouse - no printer on this one.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
graphics card?

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
Doesn't have a separate graphics card in the newer machine.  (Out of the box Dell, essentially.)

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
Then you will be fine. It will let you know if it is too weak (but going from a 250 to 300 that wont be a prob.. at least my tired brain seems to recall that is how you are changing them), and it wont damage the computer by putting in a too powerful one. Just make sure to connect everything properly, you cant connect anything wrong. The cables can only fit where they are supposed to fit. Changing power supplies is easy peasy. :) Just check where the cables go, where the screws are and you are golden.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:34:50 PM by Sara Nilsson »

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »
Small snag - turns out the old machine only has IDE4 cables, and the new machine only takes SATA.  Oh well.  At least power supplies aren't very expensive.