Beast: The Primordial, Chronicles of Darkness 2nd ed.

Started by Op3999, August 21, 2018, 11:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Op3999

Okay, to put it bluntly, I want to play a Beast Chronicle.  I have limited experience with Beast, but I am familiar with the rules.  I just want to create a monster and go through a journey that organically expands that character's Legend.

Right now, I just have the core Beast book, but am looking into getting the Player's Guide and Building the Legend as well.  Preferably, this would be a majority Beast game focused on the brood with maybe one or two non-Beasts mixed in (depending on what people, if there are any such people, would want to play in this game) with the exception of Mage.  I never understood that one, especially not in connection with the other creatures (and especially not as related to Beasts in lore with to the Dark Mother).

So, this thread is here because I really just want to play this game.  I don't know anyone IRL who's interested, but the concepts presented are fascinating to me.  I don't have enough experience to run a game, otherwise I'd be looking for players instead of Storytellers.

This is also a thread looking for other players as well unless said Storyteller is confident in their ability to run a game based on only one player.  I don't mind that idea, but doing a group does sound like more fun.

PixelatedPixie

TheKhan

Hmmm... I might be able to come up with something as a Storyteller if you are still interested. I'd definitely think we should try to pick up at least one more player as well. Any particular settings or supernatural elements you'd want?

Op3999

I mean, I'd still be up for it.

I did have an idea before about a Sin-Eater conspiracy embedded in the Catholic church of the city, headed by the Bishop there, but maybe not in all of the churches.  I also like the idea of Vampires playing a role with a building civil-war between the Invictus in power and the Carthians growing in number, looking to take it down.  The Sin-Eaters in this case would be more of a sidelines group most of the time, dealing with other supernaturals, but mostly keeping to themselves, but perhaps there's a growing movement within them that views Vampires as undead abominations that have to be dealt with.  In this scenario, the Beasts may just end up playing a bit of referee between their two cousins or maybe they end up joining a side for an all-out war.

I'm also fond of Changelings, but I never got the way the Courts are really supposed to work down.  I had an idea for them where the leaders are more Changeling Elders than monarchs.  The Winter King would be a psychologist who specializes in Changeling trauma.  The Autumn Queen led a commune outside of the city where vagrant Changelings could stay provided they helped out in the farm that sustained the place.  The Spring Queen ran a mostly legitimate strip club (perhaps called Bottoms Up) that favors Changelings in employment and pays more than just food and shelter.  Lastly, the Summer Queen was dead.  The victim of a fight against a Huntsman that went South and no one's been able to fill her shoes.

No idea how that'd interact with the other two, but I feel that those factions could operate in basically the same place with Beasts operating without such a structured community and instead forming their independent Broods filling the spaces in between.

Those are my ideas, anyways.

PixelatedPixie

I'm still interested, though I don't have anything in mind for setting or supernatural elements.  I need to review the book a bit to refresh myself if I am honest.

TheGlyphstone

I'd be tentatively interested in this as well, if there's a Storyteller available. Beast was/is a very neat game concept (though admittedly I liked Beast 1.0 better than the final release version), and a solid Beast-centric game would be nice to actually play.

TheKhan

Let me pull some ideas together. I think I may be able to get a plot sketched out in a couple of days. What characters would people like to play?

(Also, if anyone is interested in Changeling or Werewolf, I'm recruiting for that as well in GMs looking /shamelessplug)

Op3999

Quote from: TheKhan on October 02, 2018, 11:15:24 AM
Let me pull some ideas together. I think I may be able to get a plot sketched out in a couple of days. What characters would people like to play?

I have a few concepts handy, but which ones are available for this game and which would be scaled back a bit depend on whether or not material from the Player's Guide is allowed.  I did get that book (as well as the other, but I haven't gotten to it, yet) and I've read most of it, so if we can, I would like to include that stuff as additional options for us as well.

On that note, my three characters:

Madison: Makara Ravager - Character Concept: Southern girl from the Mississippi Basin whose Horror takes the form of a river leviathan, a whale-like catfish that brings floods.  Her intent is to teach people to fear the water again and her goal is incarnation.  She'd work best in a setting taking place in a city that has a dam placed nearby/within it for... potential plot reasons.

Michael: Eshmaki Collector (or Whisper) - Character Concept: Detached cyber terrorist.  Devoured as soon as he formed his earliest memories and was old enough to have nightmares, Michael hasn't known much of a life outside of being a Beast and that's colored his outlook on the world.  More than most, he sees his Horror and himself as one and the same and has no designs on Inheritance, intending to live his life according to his hungers collecting information and secrets.

Winston (placeholder name): Inguma (hunger undetermined) - Character Concept: Ecosystem poisoner.  His Horror takes the form of an alien tree spreading it's seeds throughout an otherwise normal forest, whose saplings choke other young trees and whose wood and fruit are useless and poisonous.  His horror represents the fear of nature turned away from humanity, impossible to use, to remind people how much they still rely on it.  He hasn't totally turned away from his human side, though, because after his Devouring, he did have children, two boys that he cherishes dearly.

Thoughts?

TheGlyphstone

Right now I'm feeling like a Sphinx (Ugallu Whisper or Ugallu Tyrant). Not sure where I want to take that, I'll have to think.

TheKhan

Definitely use the Player's Guide if you have it! Lots of fun stuff in there!

TheKhan

So, if people are okay with tossing Werewolves into the mix your Beasts have to deal with, I'd kinda like to run this in Ciudad Juarez (adding Changelings, Geists, and Vampires into the mix too).

PixelatedPixie

I lean towards an Eshmaki or Namtaru Nemeses.  Or maybe an Anakim of some variety.  Though I need to see if I can figure out what happened to my Player's Guide. 

PixelatedPixie

Or a Talassii Enabler.  So many options.  Hmm. 

TheKhan

And here we go...

History has been unfair to Ciudad Juárez. Crime, murder, and the drug trade have long poxed its neighbourhoods, while gangs fight to keep whatever power they can. Unfortunately, the street wars run much deeper than anyone suspects. The city supernatural underworld is dominated by werewolves, and signs are pointing to another conflict brewing on the horizon. Beneath them, vampires struggle with their own political divisions, changelings evade the watchful gaze of the Huntsmen, and sin-eaters attempt to bring peace to the city's many restless dead.

The Beasts watch everything and stick their noses in where they can.

Like so many night in Juárez, this one begins with murder. A Crone, Natalia Muerta, has been found deader than dead and her boss wants answers. She wasn't part of the brewing conflict between the Invictus and the Carthian, and he doesn't trust other Kindred to give him an answer. Instead, he turns to the Begotten.

He turns to your brood.

You.

Game Style: Episodic. I've tried to do massive plots via PbP before and it never reaches even the midway point, so this time I'm going to go a bit more self-contained (although themes may emerge over time)
Genre: Urban Fantasy-Horror
Setting: Cuidad Juarez
System: Beast: the Primordial
Beats:Since PbPs run slow, I'm going to as everyone to have four Aspirations (three short term, one long term) so we can advance a little quicker.
Character age: 20+ and please no characters that look younger than that for any reason.

Other details
Please don't try to screw each other over with inter-party conflict. Even if both players agree with it, it can result other players getting turned off of the game, which kill PbPs dead.

If you want to do something unique or funky, just let me know. Feel free to introduce strange horrors through backgrounds or kinship nightmares.

The type of players I'd like to work with
I do intend to update regularly, but for better or for worse, deadlines in RL could cause gaps between updates.  I'm looking for people who will be able do deal with that maturely and stay interested even if I go poof for a bit.

My role in all this
I try to be very descriptive and evocative as Storyteller. This means that I try to create action and movement in my posts by describing PC actions if the player doesn't describe them themselves and just rolls the dice or says "I stab them three times." I'm definitely not trying to take over your character, but describe how their actions play out since I am trying to make an exciting story for both the people actively engaged in the story, but also passerby who happens to read it. I know some people don't like it, but others don't mind, so if you fall in the former category, this is me trying to be polite and let you know ahead of time.

Adult Themes:
The big focus on this game for is to play the game. Beast is a gam with mature themes and E! gives us the chance to explore those themes if and when they are appropriate.

For sex, I'm more interested in seeing realistic (or realistic as possible) relationships develop, rather than "everyone gets laid." It can and will come up, but it won't just be with a random NPC unless you specifically go looking for that. In this regard, the game will be filed under Exotic - Bondage.

With that said, Beast is a horror game, and nasty stuff like body horror and gore are possible. Part of me is considering planting the game in the Extreme forum just to play it on the safe side to make sure no-one gets traumatized by accident. Even if we do though, please keep non-con out of this game, as it makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

Let me know your thoughts.

TheGlyphstone

I was originally considering a 'hacktivist' who ferrets out the secrets of corrupt politicians/leaders and exposes them, but am I correct in guessing that this sort of city is so hopelessly and openly corrupt that it wouldnt be a big deal?

TheKhan

I wouldn't say it would be completely pointless. I've done some reading on Juárez and the city has been making a push to clean itself up for the last half-decade, including arresting corrupt politicians with ties to the drug trade. Your character's work may be cut out for them, but they could make a difference.

PixelatedPixie

I was thinking a Talassii Enabler who, as a Professor or Grad Student, entices people to cheat and what not.  Admittedly I also had a bit of a non-con (enticing people to commit sexual assault, to try and kind of flip the Talassii bit) thought process going for as well, though I didn't expect it to come up much.  The horror I had in my head was a spider in a web type deal. 

Based on TheKhan's offs though I may need to rework that.  Maybe I will go with an Anakim Enabler, something with a demonic angle. 

Op3999

Based on that setting, I'd have to say that Michael, my Eshmaki Whisper would work best with that and tbh, Glyph's Hacktivist-type character could be an interesting foil to him.  Michael's supposed to be a little on the sociopathic side.  He wouldn't be much for releasing that information to the public (which strikes me as a bit of a Nemesis-type deal) so much as he'd just collect the information or use it to blackmail/ruin their lives as per Whisper protocol.

It could be interesting to see them perhaps work together, but take it in slightly different directions.

TheKhan

Interesting ideas. It will be neat to see how this shapes up.

As you are working on your characters, I'm working on setting and plot. One thing that would be helpful to me is knowing your character's four Aspirations. I don't need them right away, but the sooner I have them, the more setting I can design with them in mind.

I like to start PbPs in media res if possible so that everyone gets involved right away. I'm thinking this will be a smuggling run (humans and/or drugs) gone sour.

Also, do you think we should try to add one more person or is three Players, plus a Storyteller enough?

TheKhan

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 03, 2018, 02:02:44 PM
I was originally considering a 'hacktivist' who ferrets out the secrets of corrupt politicians/leaders and exposes them, but am I correct in guessing that this sort of city is so hopelessly and openly corrupt that it wouldnt be a big deal?
Also worth keeping in mind that Juárez and El Paso are basically one metropolitan are bisected by the Mexican-American boarder. You character could easily target politicians in Texas from Ciudad Juárez.

Marie Reynolds

Hello The Kahn Pointed me over here from his Werewolf Interest Check.  So I was wondering  if all the Players would mind a Changeling pc in the mix?

TheGlyphstone

Honestly, Id rather we stay all Beasts. A Beast with affinity for Changelings who associates with them is one thing, but not a full on Lost. Sorry.  :-(

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 04, 2018, 06:40:44 PM
Hello The Kahn Pointed me over here from his Werewolf Interest Check.  So I was wondering  if all the Players would mind a Changeling pc in the mix?

Honestly, I'm not super crazy sure I'd mind a Changeling, especially if TheKhan incorporated my idea about the Courts into the setting.  That way, they could be a plot hook into something to do with them.  However, if you were comfortable with making a Beast character to add to the group, that would be preferable.

Quote from: TheKhan on October 03, 2018, 08:08:03 PM
As you are working on your characters, I'm working on setting and plot. One thing that would be helpful to me is knowing your character's four Aspirations. I don't need them right away, but the sooner I have them, the more setting I can design with them in mind.

I like to start PbPs in media res if possible so that everyone gets involved right away. I'm thinking this will be a smuggling run (humans and/or drugs) gone sour.

Also, do you think we should try to add one more person or is three Players, plus a Storyteller enough?

Do you want the aspirations posted here or sent via PM?  Also, three players and a storyteller is fine because you can build the story around those character's strengths.  I absolutely don't mind more characters, though.

TheKhan

Quote from: Op3999 on October 04, 2018, 07:55:27 PM
...especially if TheKhan incorporated my idea about the Courts into the setting.
Oh, I am! I have a few rough drafts of Juárez's social dynamics, and they are in the thick of it.
Quote from: Op3999 on October 04, 2018, 07:55:27 PM
Do you want the aspirations posted here or sent via PM?  Also, three players and a storyteller is fine because you can build the story around those character's strengths.  I absolutely don't mind more characters, though.
I'd prefer them posted here, if you know them. I know that some people like to keep their sheets secret, but personally I prefer to have everything posted in an OOC thread since that makes it about a billion times easier for me to track, which is crucial for me posting regularly (which reminds me, I should post a character sheet template).

Marie Reynolds

Well if everyone prefers i run a beast I can  take a look at them and see what i can come up with.

Op3999

Quote from: TheKhan on October 04, 2018, 09:53:35 PM
I'd prefer them posted here, if you know them. I know that some people like to keep their sheets secret, but personally I prefer to have everything posted in an OOC thread since that makes it about a billion times easier for me to track, which is crucial for me posting regularly (which reminds me, I should post a character sheet template).

Okay, so I had three written for Michael, but since reading the Player's Guide (I initially made him before reading it), I do have a fourth idea.  Here they are:

Acquire a top-of-the-line computer (5-dot Personal Computer).
Acquire a Safe Space (2+ dots preferably).
Ruin a Hero's life (leaving them alive, but unable to hunt).
Commune with the Dark Mother (possibly being given a sort of mission or for her to help him in a time of need).

That work?

TheKhan

Quote from: Op3999 on October 04, 2018, 11:28:35 PM
Okay, so I had three written for Michael, but since reading the Player's Guide (I initially made him before reading it), I do have a fourth idea.  Here they are:

Acquire a top-of-the-line computer (5-dot Personal Computer).
Acquire a Safe Space (2+ dots preferably).
Ruin a Hero's life (leaving them alive, but unable to hunt).
Commune with the Dark Mother (possibly being given a sort of mission or for her to help him in a time of need).

That work?

Yeah! Those will work great! Thanks!

PixelatedPixie

I have no preference either way.

I ended up with a social heavy Inguma Ravager.  The sheet is partly done but I am struggling a bit with the details.  The idea I had in my head, admittedly half formed, is that she destroys organizations and similar from the inside, but I am having a hard time putting it into words.  :P

For aspirations I guess maybe: 

Acquire resources/support for her neighbourhood. 
Destroy a Drug Cartel, or other exploitative organization, from within.
Misdirect a Hero after the wrong person.
Learn more about the supernatural in the city.

eternaldarkness

If you're still looking for players, this is actually exactly what I logged onto Elliquiy looking for today :D I know Beast well and am always up to play it, and I have plenty of ideas.

TheKhan

Quote from: eternaldarkness on October 05, 2018, 04:37:40 PM
If you're still looking for players, this is actually exactly what I logged onto Elliquiy looking for today :D I know Beast well and am always up to play it, and I have plenty of ideas.
Good timing! I think you're probably good to join! I'd say we should cap things at five players and one ST, my experience is that things start to become bloated and slow down after that.

Marie Reynolds

Welcome aboard Eternal Darkness!  I am leaning towards a makara Beast! I hope the  lost are at least have an NPC presence!

TheKhan

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on October 05, 2018, 12:01:36 AM
I ended up with a social heavy Inguma Ravager.  The sheet is partly done but I am struggling a bit with the details.  The idea I had in my head, admittedly half formed, is that she destroys organizations and similar from the inside, but I am having a hard time putting it into words.  :P

Don't stress about it too much. The aspirations are a big help for me.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 05, 2018, 06:56:55 PM
Welcome aboard Eternal Darkness!  I am leaning towards a makara Beast! I hope the  lost are at least have an NPC presence!
Oh, they will. They've only got Spring, Autumn, and Winter courts at this point though. Another one (or more) may develop through play. First story is going to lean more into Kindred though. I'll try to give a quick rundown of the supernatural factions soon. Invictus and Carthians are the big two, the Crone are around, the Ordo is tiny, and the Lancea are practically non-existent.

Marie Reynolds

Cool, Well when i get to my Character history may  I pm you.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheKhan on October 05, 2018, 05:30:37 PM
Good timing! I think you're probably good to join! I'd say we should cap things at five players and one ST, my experience is that things start to become bloated and slow down after that.

Awesome! I'll have more coherent character concept shortly, after my tabletop game. I also love interacting with Changelings as a Beast character; the two go great together, so if you feature the Lost a lot you'll find two players enjoying it immensely.

TheKhan

How long does everyone think it will take them to pull character sheets together? Think we can aim for next Friday to be done?

TheGlyphstone

Op3999

Quote from: TheKhan on October 06, 2018, 10:21:03 AM
How long does everyone think it will take them to pull character sheets together? Think we can aim for next Friday to be done?

Michael's character sheet is already done, I just have to do some tweaking to it to get it ready for this particular RP.

PixelatedPixie

This is what I have so far, so mostly done pending some edits and decisions (plus getting the background to be a bit better). 

WIP Sheet
Family: Inguma
Hunger: Ravager
Legend: Unexpected
Life: Cautious
Kinship:
Birthright
Aspirations:
1. Acquire resources/support for her neighbourhood.
2. Destroy a Drug Cartel, or other exploitative organization, from within.
3. Misdirect a Hero after the wrong person.
4. Learn more about the supernatural in the city.

INT 2    STR 2    PRE 3
WIT 2    DEX 3    MAN 3
RES 3    STA 1    COM 2

Academics     1     Athletics 1          Animal Ken
Computer            Brawl                Empathy       2
Crafts              Drive                Expression    1
Investigation       Firearms  2          Intimidation 
Medicine      1     Larceny   2          Persuasion    2
Occult        2     Stealth   2*         Socialize     2
Politics      1     Survival             Streetwise    1***
Science             Weaponry             Subterfuge    3**

*In Plain Sight
**Misdirection
***Undercover

Nightmares (2)
You Must Obey
Run Away! Or (Family is Forever Vampire)

Atavism (2)
Enemy Within
Alien Allure?  From the Shadows?  Infestation?  Mimir's?

Lair (1)
Bad Angles
Disruption

Merits (10)
Language          * (English)
Striking Looks    ****
Barfly            **
Indomitable       **
Patient           *

Marie Reynolds

Honestly , I am really  struggling  with a  concept coming together for a  beast.  When i try and  build motivations or  develop a personality i just draw  blanks.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 06, 2018, 10:49:26 PM
Honestly , I am really  struggling  with a  concept coming together for a  beast.  When i try and  build motivations or  develop a personality i just draw  blanks.

When in doubt, pick some mythological creature you think is really cool, and use that for inspiration.

Marie Reynolds

I have that in my head  and dots  on a sheet but   I have  nothing coming together for a  personality , what the  beast society is  like and  how  the character would fit in that society. I don't think a Apex has been chosen which affects lairs if we are a  brood or  just  loners of the beasts  but that seems  contradictary  to there begaviors  but the society  is so loose . I just  don't know  what  place  the character has in it .

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 06, 2018, 11:00:47 PM
I have that in my head  and dots  on a sheet but   I have  nothing coming together for a  personality , what the  beast society is  like and  how  the character would fit in that society. I don't think a Apex has been chosen which affects lairs if we are a  brood or  just  loners of the beasts  but that seems  contradictary  to there begaviors  but the society  is so loose . I just  don't know  what  place  the character has in it .

Are you familiar with Sin-Eaters?  Where each group is more like a loose gang and there isn't so much an overall heirarchy as there is with Vampires?  Because that's kind of what Beasts are like.  They each operate on the philosophy that their Horror's hunger for fear is tied to teaching a particular lesson and in the same way Sin-Eater society is built around what to do with ghosts, so is Beast society built around how to instill that fear and ground humanity back to what they should really be afraid of.

If Changeling is more familiar to you, maybe think of Beasts as one group within a single Court.  The apex is the leader and they probably even have their own Brood that operates with some sort of semi-official capacity, but the big difference is that Beasts adhere more to other supernaturals as opposed to sticking to themselves.

Does that make any more sense?

Marie Reynolds

Yes but  the archetypes have  more guidelines  how they operate  and the Apex is  not even a beast its another supernatural. The Gangs are loose but the   different paths walked  by the sin eaters  give them a framework to operate in. The families have archetypes but  no clear method in to the approach of  hunting  or teaching  lessons  or  reasons outside of  hunger and  being  hunted by  heroes to maintain a balance   only to survive  and  not get lost  in appetite.  Its humanity serves as a mask and  nothing really else.

Also Satiety  does not seem  all that clear and  with it fading  over  time the efforts   of feeding  just  to be  easily driven to  hunger and being lose to appetite.

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 06, 2018, 11:30:14 PM
Yes but  the archetypes have  more guidelines  how they operate  and the Apex is  not even a beast its another supernatural. The Gangs are loose but the   different paths walked  by the sin eaters  give them a framework to operate in. The families have archetypes but  no clear method in to the approach of  hunting  or teaching  lessons  or  reasons outside of  hunger and  being  hunted by  heroes to maintain a balance   only to survive  and  not get lost  in appetite.  Its humanity serves as a mask and  nothing really else.

Also Satiety  does not seem  all that clear and  with it fading  over  time the efforts   of feeding  just  to be  easily driven to  hunger and being lose to appetite.

Okay, I see what you're getting at.  I think the main challenge is not that Beasts have no humanity (that's represented by their Life), but that rather, they don't have the same mechanical framework behind that humanity that humans, Vampires and Changelings do.  In Beast, more than others, it's player motivated rather than system oriented, so you decide whether your character is trying to retain a normalish, human life or have mostly abandoned that.

At the same time, it's not just a mask, though.  A Beast's humanity keys strongly into the subversion of the Hero's reality.  If that humanity really is just a mask, how are they any different than what the Hero makes them out to be?

Try this.  Take all the Beast stuff, Family and Hunger as well as motivations, and just put it aside for a moment.  Make a human character with human motivations and then add the Beast stuff as if it just happened to your character in the last session.  How are they reacting to it, are they coming to terms with it?  Work forward from there until you feel you're ready.

Beast doesn't hold your hand quite as much as other games do (not that that's a bad thing for those other games), so it really can be difficult to make a good character without those guidelines.  It really is meant to help fill the gaps between the other supernatural groups.

TheKhan

Quote from: Op3999 on October 06, 2018, 11:39:35 PM
Try this.  Take all the Beast stuff, Family and Hunger as well as motivations, and just put it aside for a moment.  Make a human character with human motivations and then add the Beast stuff as if it just happened to your character in the last session.  How are they reacting to it, are they coming to terms with it?  Work forward from there until you feel you're ready.
This is very solid advice.

Also, since the Apex was meantioned, it is worth nothing that a) the Apex in this setting is a werewolf, not a Beast, and B) the Apex doesn't have to be aware that they are the Apex. Don Alvarez knows he is the biggest, baddest motherfucker in Juárez; he does not know that this makes him especially important to the local Beasts, even though he is aware of a couple of broods.

On the character creation end, also don't forget about the five questions on pg 80. These determine your starting Satiety, but are also useful story hooks for me to build around. The five questions are:

- Who are your kin? (And you can get weird with this one if you like)
- Does your belly fill easily? (Read: small frequent feeding or sporadic large meals?)
- Are you a social predator?
- How frequently do you show your true self?
- How drawn to your layer are you?

eternaldarkness

David doesn't talk about his past, or where he came from, but what is known and what can be discerned is this: He arrived in Juarez one day with nothing but his beat-up pickup truck, an old military duffelbag in the back, drove into one of its worst neighborhoods and took up residence in an apartment building after forcibly and violently evicting or utterly cowing all undesirables. Since then he has mostly kept to himself, though he seems friendly enough and he can often be found playing soccer with the local children or helping someone in the neighborhood with some minor home repair for a few pesos, though just as often he doesn't charge people he knows can't afford. He is obviously American - his speech and mannerisms make that clear, but even though he lives alone people swear they've seen a young woman looking out of the window of his apartment every so often, and sometimes those passing by his door can hear him talking to someone even though he lives alone. They assume he probably has a girlfriend or maybe even a daughter, or maybe that he is not quite right in the head.

The other thing they know for sure is that their block became significantly safer after he arrived; the residents of his building are not often harassed by gangbangers and thugs, and those who bring trouble tend to disappear, only to be found dead by gruesome means some time later. Some people are beginning to suspect that he is involved - they wonder if he might be a hitman for one of the cartels - but nobody questions the polite, helpful man who seems to keep trouble away by his mere presence.

David is a Beast with a strong connection to the dead - even before his Devouring, he could see and hear the dead all around him, and afterward he easily bonded with restless shades and learned a great deal about them. His Horror is the Shape in the Dark, a vaguely humanoid monstrosity that delights in visceral violence. David feeds its hunger by hunting the local criminal element, but this is more a practical matter than some act of kindness - dead gangbangers can be looted for their cash and valuables and sometimes even drugs they are carrying, which he had developed an addiction to.

David Lucado, Namtaru Predator

David Lucado
Family: Namtaru
Hunger: Prey
Legend: Vicious
Life: Parental
Horror: The Shape in the Dark
Kinship: Ghost
Birthright: Namtaru are nothing if not revolting. To have the attention of a Gorgon is to feel discomfited, at best. Once a Namtaru establishes contact with a character during a scene, via touch, eye contact, or a moment of conversation, that character’s Composure is considered one lower for all purposes (acting as a resistance trait, calculating Initiative, as part of a Perception roll, etc.). This effect lasts for a scene, but can be reestablished in the same way. The Namtaru can choose not to affect a given character if she wishes.

Theme Song: JTMachinima - You Can Hang (Dead by Daylight Rap)

Aspirations:
1. Find Alejandra's Murderer
2. Make some (Living) friends
3. Kick his drug habit
4. Defeat a hero

INT 2    STR 2     PRE 2
WIT 3    DEX 3    MAN 2
RES 1    STA 3    COM 3

Academics 1       Athletics 1        Animal Ken
Computer           Brawl 2            Empathy 1
Crafts 1              Drive               Expression
Investigation 1   Firearms 1        Intimidation 2
Medicine 1         Larceny 1          Persuasion
Occult 1            Stealth 3           Socialize
Politics              Survival            Streetwise 1
Science             Weaponry 3      Subterfuge

Init: 6
Speed: 10
Defense: 4
Willpower: 4 [----]
Health: 8 [--------]
Satiety: 6 (Sated)
Conditions: Addicted (Various narcotics, both legal and illegal)

Specialties
Crafts: Carpentry
Intimidation: Thousand-Yard Stare
Occult: Ghosts

Nightmares (2)
  You Cannot Run
  You Deserve This 

Atavism (2)
  Shadowed Soul
  Unbreakable

Lair (1)
  Lair Traits: Sealed Exits. Poor Light.
  Chambers (2/3): Heart Chamber. Barrio. (Open Chamber Slot)

Heart Chamber Burrows: To Barrio

Merits (10)
  Allies 1 (Ghost - Alejandra Portillo)
  Killer Instinct 3
  Killer Instinct Adv. 2 
  Look Between Worlds 2
  Walk Lightly 2

Horror Stats
Power 3 Finesse 3 Resistance 4
Init 4 Speed 11
Size 5 Health 9 Defense 4

- Who are your kin? Ghosts. Satiety!
- Does your belly fill easily? Frequent, small meals. Satiety!
- Are you a social predator? Not very social, though not by choice. No satiety.
- How frequently do you show your true self? he plays it pretty careful and uses as much power as is needed to get the job done. Satiety!
- How drawn to your lair are you? He likes his Lair a good deal; it's a quiet place where he can think in peace and be free of his own mind for a while. Satiety!

Marie Reynolds

Thanks Oppa, Glyph and Kahn, I have a better idea of how to proceed.

TheKhan

Eternal, everyone starts with Satiety 2, so David's Satiety should be 6 (Sated). Otherwise, loooks great! I'm glad someone took Look Between Worlds!

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheKhan on October 07, 2018, 11:36:54 AM
Eternal, everyone starts with Satiety 2, so David's Satiety should be 6 (Sated). Otherwise, loooks great! I'm glad someone took Look Between Worlds!

I forgot about that. I'll add it now.

Op3999

On break from work atm, but I'll look at getting my character sheet transcribed here after (or at least within the next few days).

But I have a question in the meantime.  Do we need to buy the bilingual merit to be able to speak both Spanish and English in this setting or do our characters possess that naturally based on where they are.

eternaldarkness

Also, as a reminder: You also have Horror stats you use when merged with your Horror. Don't forget those; most people playing Beast for the first time do. How you calculate that can be found onpage 99 of the Beast corebook. Note that the Dream Form section has nothing to do with the Horror form and is something else entirely.

PixelatedPixie

Sheet
Family: Inguma
Hunger: Ravager
Legend: Unexpected (regain WP when reveals presence to someone who thinks nowhere near.  Regain all if startle whole room)
Life: Cautious (regain WP when prudent behaviour helps dodge a metaphorical bullet.  Regain all when do unto others before they do unto you)
Birthright: Gains exceptional success result on three successes (instead of five) on all rolls to disguise herself, infiltrate groups, or to bluff her way through tests designed to verify her bona fides.  Anyone actively seeking to police a group or root out traitors suffers her Lair dots as penalty to their dice rolls.
Aspirations:
1. Acquire resources/support for her neighbourhood.
2. Destroy a Drug Cartel, or other exploitative organization, from within.
3. Misdirect a Hero after the wrong person.
4. Learn more about the supernatural in the city.

Size:       5
Health:     6
Speed:     10
Initiative: 5
Defence:    3
Willpower:  5
Satiety:    5

INT 2    STR 2    PRE 3
WIT 2    DEX 3    MAN 3
RES 3    STA 1    COM 2

Academics     1     Athletics 1          Animal Ken
Computer            Brawl                Empathy       2
Crafts              Drive                Expression    1
Investigation       Firearms  2          Intimidation 
Medicine      1     Larceny   2          Persuasion    2
Occult        2     Stealth   2*         Socialize     2
Politics      1     Survival             Streetwise    1***
Science             Weaponry             Subterfuge    3**

*In Plain Sight
**Misdirection
***Undercover

Nightmares
You Must Obey
Run Away!

Atavism
Enemy Within
  Instant or Persistent
  Take appearance of victim that she previously met.  Close friends/family/suspicious people can roll to see through.
  Low: Gain instinctive awareness of unconscious cues/body language.  Can guess at what people know.  Suspicious people can roll.
  Expend: Beast becomes victim (fingerprints, DNA, other evidence).  Auto passes any physical test to very identity. Can replicate skills.
Shadow Stalker
  Instant or Reflexive
  Devour a person's shadow to become the shadow.  Immune to most damage, vulnerable to fire. 
  Can't use Atavisms but can use Nightmares on victim without eye contact.
  Low: Can use Atavisms.  Takes on aspects of horror when does so, observers Wits+Composure to notice.
  Expend: Can detach from victim for (Lair dots) turns.  Can transition between solid/shadow.  Only same init can strike her. 

Lair
Bad Angles
Poor Light

Chambers: Heart, Empty Bus Station, OPEN

Merits
Spoor             *
  Harder for heroes to track.
Striking Looks    ****
  Stunning/Attractive.  +2 on Social rolls influence by her looks.  Any rolls to notice/spot/remember gain same dice bonus.
  Gain rote quality action when looks apply.
Barfly            **
  Doesn't require a roll to blend into social functions where she doesn't belong.  Rolls to identify her as an outsider suffer Socialize as penalty.
Indomitable       **
  Any time supernatural power used to influence thoughts/emotions, add two dice to dice pool to contest.  If roll is resisted, subtract two dice from dice pool. 
Patient           *
  When taking extended action may make two additional rolls above what Attribute+Skill would allow.

Celestina Echeverria grew up in the slums on the edge of Ciudad Juarez.  Many of those who lived in the slums worked in agriculture, as maids and cleaners for the upper class, or just wherever they could get paid.  They were exploited, abused, and generally sneered at.

Celestina rose above the slums not because of intelligence or skill, but because of her appearance.  She was offered work as a model, it was only as she grew older that she realized that everyone but her and her own were gaining from the relationship.  The company, her agent, the myriad of others with their hand in the pie.  The payments were always tiny, the supposed royalties never appeared.  She was just as poor at twenty as she was when she first set foot in front of a camera.

The dreams were always with Celestina, strange cities with strange angles.  Empty at first, but ever more active and populated as she grew older. 

Out of the corner of a steady eye Celestina’s horror looks like a faceless, featureless, mannequin.  When the eye moves though it seems to shift, angles become wrong, features elongate, eyes, mouths, and worse appear and disappear.  When the eyes settle directly on Celestina’s horror it looks like an almost normal person, even vaguely familiar and welcoming.  When it moves though it doesn’t do so in a smooth way.  It stutters, like an old camera with a low frame rate. 

Celestina likes to destroy.  Not structures, not people, but organizations, communities, and reputations.  To breed suspicion, fear, and confusion.  The lesson she tries to teach is that you can never truly know what goes on the mind of those around you.  That everything can come tumbling down because of one whisper at the back of the mind.  So it is not enough to kill the rich owner of a ranch, she has to do so in such a way that everyone thinks his partner or daughter did it.  It is not enough to remove the cartel leader, it has to be done when he was alone to breed suspicion and paranoia.  It is not enough for the factory owner to hang himself, he must be found after he was seen walking from the building.

Who are your kin?  Celestina would consider the people of the slums her kin.  The exploited masses who she grew up among.  Note: I thought about doing Vampires, as I thought it would fit, but I don't recall enough about Vampire the Requiem at the moment.  So that may be something left for the future (hence one of her aspirations)

Does your belly fill easily?  Celestina prefers large acts of feeding. 

Are you a social predator?  Celestia prefers to hunt in a group, though it can be hard to find others willing to go to the same lengths.

How frequently do you show your true self? Celestia prefers to hide true self.  She prefers subtlety, and leaving it all a mystery.

How drawn to your lair are you?

TheKhan

Quote from: Op3999 on October 07, 2018, 12:16:04 PM
On break from work atm, but I'll look at getting my character sheet transcribed here after (or at least within the next few days).

But I have a question in the meantime.  Do we need to buy the bilingual merit to be able to speak both Spanish and English in this setting or do our characters possess that naturally based on where they are.
Hmm... that's a good question. Things like languages can slow down play in PbP, so I'll say everyone automatically speaks English and Spanish (which I think means David and Celestina gets an extra merit dot to spend).

eternaldarkness

TheGlyphstone

Estaban Sosa

Estaban likes to say that he's one of the few people who really know what it's like to be hunted. Born in Mexico, his parents paid to be smuggled across the border into Texas when he was barely old enough to walk. They entered the shadow economy of America's illegal immigrant community, but they never stayed in one place for long. The longest period Esteban ever had living in the same town was a little over a year; sometimes they left their home in the middle of the night, other times in broad daylight. When he got old enough to ask, his parents told him they were avoiding being caught by American police and sent back to Mexico; this was true, but not entirely so. When Estaban was a teenager, his father was gunned down in a drive-by shooting, and he finally convinced his mother to tell the truth. His father had once been a respected lieutenant in the Sinaloa Cartel, until he fell in love with the 'girlfriend'/concubine of his boss. When she became pregnant, they fled to America and spent years dodging the cartel hitmen chasing after them. Only a month later, his mother disappeared without a trace.

As an adult, he worked odd jobs off the books while putting himself through school at night. It wasn't until he nearly avoided being shot himself that he realized his parent's past would not let him go, and the contract of death was on his head as well. In despair, he Dreamed that night. It was time for being hunted to end; now he would be the hunter. Someone had betrayed his parents to the cartel, and someone had betrayed him. Far too many people lived two lives, wearing a face of respectability and honesty while their corrupt heart pumped underneath. No one else could see beneath the mask - but he could, and he could tear away that mask. When they were ruined, exposed to the judgement of their peers and stripped of any usefulness their masters might have desired, then he could move on.

Esteban wears his own mask, an intelligent, cheerfully quiet man who conducts server hosting and IT consultation work for a number of local businesses in Juarez. But his exceptional skills in computer work extend to hacking as well, and he makes a point of burrowing into the private lives and records of powerful and respected people. Politicians and religious leaders are his favored game, as they were most likely to be rotten underneath the surface, but anyone with secrets drew his attention. He knew them, judged them, and if he deemed it sufficient to deserve it, found a way to let everyone who looked up to them know the truth. Borders mean nothing when you soar above them, and he hunts with equal scrutiny in Juarez or El Paso and beyond. Nor do the laws of man matter under his gaze, and those who operate on both sides of the law are all potential victims.

Esteban Soros, Ugallu Nemesis

Family: Ugallu

Hunger: Punishment
Legend: Watchful
Life: Cautious
Horror: Sphinx
Kinship: Vampires
Birthright: The Ugallu can pierce façades with a glance, leaving their prey exposed or at the mercy of the world. With a moment of concentration, a Raptor can uncover something hidden; a lurking assassin, a cowering victim, a valuable object. This does not require a roll or an expenditure, but the Raptor must actively search for the hidden target. If the target is hidden with a supernatural effect, the player must expend a point of Satiety, and the effort may provoke a Clash of Wills (p. 222) at the Storyteller’s discretion.

Aspirations:
-Acquire a cutting-edge (Rating 5) computer
-Expose a police informant inside a drug gang
-Ensure a cartel-connected politician is arrested
-Learn the fate of his mother

INT 4    STR 2     PRE 2
WIT 2    DEX 3    MAN 2
RES 2    STA 2    COM 2

Academics 1        Athletics 1    Animal Ken
Computer 4        Brawl        Empathy   
Crafts            Drive        Expression   
Investigation 2        Firearms 2    Intimidation
Medicine        Larceny 1    Persuasion   
Occult    2        Stealth     1    Socialize     2
Politics     3        Survival    Streetwise   3
Science        Weaponry    Subterfuge  2 

Init: 5
Defense: 2
Willpower: 4 [----]
Health: 7 [-------]
Satiety:
Conditions:

Specialties
Computers: Hacking
Politics: Local Politics
Streetwise: Drug Cartels

Merits (10)
Contacts 1 (Hacker Collective)
Direction Sense 1
Advanced Direction Sense 2
Connected Lair 2
Resources 2
Direct Dial 1
Library (Computers) 1

Nightmares (2)
All Your Teeth Are Falling Out
We Know All Your Secrets

Atavisms (2)
Eye of Heaven
Wings of Heaven

Lair (1)
Lair Traits: Blazing Light, Engulfing
Chambers (2/3): Heart Chamber, Endless Desert, (Open Chamber Slot)

Horror Stats:
Power: 4
Finesse: 3
Resistance: 4

Satiety:
+Who are your kin? Vampires - they're not really monsters the way we are, but they understand better than anyone else the mindset of keeping your human mask balanced against your monstrous self.
-Does your belly fill easily? Only the big meals are really fulfilling - The world is full of hypocrites and liars, but the bigger they are the harder the fall and the more satisfying it is to watch them do it.
+Are you a social predator? Yes - it's always good to have someone around to clean up your leftovers.
+How frequently do you show your true self? - Rarely; there are so many non-supernatural ways to ferret out someone's secrets.
+How drawn to your lair are you? His lair has privacy, comfort, and infinite free Wi-Fi. What's not to love?

Marie Reynolds

So, i see  you can learn  other beasts  abilities  but can you take  other beasts abilities with creation points?

Also do beasts  feed  there satiety in dreams or  only in the real world?

TheKhan

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 10, 2018, 06:38:08 PM
So, i see  you can learn  other beasts  abilities  but can you take  other beasts abilities with creation points?
That could mean several different things. Could you be more specific?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheKhan on October 10, 2018, 07:31:31 PM
That could mean several different things. Could you be more specific?

I think i get what's being asked. You can take out of family atavisms at creation, but keep in mind that your two starting Atavisms are the Beast's strongest initial impressions of their horror, the traits that stand out most to the human part hosting the Horror, the tpowers and traits most core to your image of your horror.

TheKhan

Quote from: eternaldarkness on October 10, 2018, 07:36:38 PM
I think i get what's being asked. You can take out of family atavisms at creation, but keep in mind that your two starting Atavisms are the Beast's strongest initial impressions of their horror, the traits that stand out most to the human part hosting the Horror, the tpowers and traits most core to your image of your horror.

Ah, my brain went to Nightmares and Kinship Nightmares.

You can take a out-of-Family Atavism, but one of your stating two must be from your family.

TheKhan

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 10, 2018, 06:38:08 PM
Also do beasts  feed  there satiety in dreams or  only in the real world?

As to the other question, feeding generally happens in the real world, although there could be circumstances it happens in other places. Horrors that have gone too long without feeding can start to prowl and feed in the dreams of others.

Marie Reynolds

Cool, So I can take  one of the Eshmaki and take Alien Alure sweet!

Well the reason I am  looking for dreams mostly is the  influence of Kin and A true friend  Spring Court Oneriomancer, Those elements strongly influenced  how she  hunts.

Op3999

Michael Dreyer

Michael was devoured unusually early in his life.  At this stage, he has only the foggiest memories of nightmares predating his awakening and after that, dreamed only of his Horror, his true self.  In reality, nightmares visited Michael as soon as he was old enough to comprehend the dreams and the Horror's movement towards Devouring was swift.  After that, he found himself standing apart from other children, but thankfully, his Hunger was more easily sated without violence and the young boy who found it easy to be overlooked, found it easy to start overhearing things.  As a result of this experience, Michael is intimately familiar with what his Horror desires and considers that hunger his own, not just an aspect of the thing sitting where his soul used to be.  It also made it difficult for him to connect with his human Life and his focus on what he "really was" made him neglect it.

Hunger is a good drive, though, and for a young, growing boy, made a world of difference for someone who didn't want to devote time to playing games with friends.  It wasn't long before he discovered the usefulness of computers in discovering new secrets and immediately set off to learn as much as he could.  Now, this knowledge has had time to be honed to a razor's edge and assuming that Michael can get into the right place at the right time, he knows that there is no secret, no shred of information, safe from him.

Born and initially raised in Southern California, his father a middle class man and his mother an immigrant to America from the South, Michael did once have a loving home.  His behavior was an issue that his parents tried to correct, but there was no denying the hunger and so his work continued.  Leaving home wasn't a matter of wanting to get away from the people there.  He had nothing against his parents, but it was just necessary in order to keep himself safe from heroes and continue his journey.  From there, he found himself in the world of Vampires and took work using his skills to help protect the elders who didn't understand, nor could comprehend, the technology.

Time passed in that place and for a while, it seemed like Michael had found a home with people who really understood hunger, but war was coming and the young Beast was wrapped up in conflict between clans, kindred blood spilled in front of his eyes.  In the end, one of the few left standing was the youth whose abilities put him apart from what his employers and friends' enemies had expected and once again, it was time to move on, but further once again.

It's almost single-minded, but Michael is more complex than his hunger would imply.  Feeling as connected as he is to his Horror, he feels likewise connected to the Dark Mother.  His own biological, human, mother was a nice woman with few secrets of her own, but as soon as he was able, Michael left home and found his thoughts drifting to the mother of his Horror, his true self.  He hasn't had much luck finding ways to commune, but amidst his searches for information and how best to use it, Michael also searches for anything his kin may have found to help him on his own, personal journey of enlightenment.

Michael Dreyer, Eshmaki Whisper

Michael Dreyer
Family: Eshmaki
Hunger: Whisper
Legend: Elusive
Life: Reclusive
Horror: The Secret
Kinship: Vampires(?)
Birthright:

Aspirations:
1. Acquire a top-of-the-line computer (5-dot Personal Computer).
2. Acquire a Safe Space (2+ dots preferably).
3. Ruin a Hero's life (leaving them alive, but unable to hunt).
4. Commune with the Dark Mother (possibly being given a sort of mission or for her to help him in a time of need).

INT 2    STR 2     PRE 2
WIT 3    DEX 3    MAN 1
RES 3    STA 2    COM 3

Academics         Athletics 1        Animal Ken
Computer 4        Brawl 3            Empathy       
Crafts 1          Drive              Expression   
Investigation 2   Firearms           Intimidation 2 
Medicine 1        Larceny 1          Persuasion   
Occult 3          Stealth 2          Socialize     
Politics 1        Survival           Streetwise 2   
Science           Weaponry           Subterfuge   

Init: 6
Defense: 4
Willpower: 6 [------]
Health: 7 [-------]
Satiety: 6 (Sated)
Conditions: Sated

Specialties
Computers: Hacking
Occult: Family (or Vampires, if that's not specific enough)
Streetwise: Urban Navigation

Nightmares (2)
  Behold, My True Form!
  You Cannot Run 

Atavism (2)
  Limb From Limb
  From the Shadows

Lair (1)
  Lair Traits: Minions, Disruption.
  Chambers (2/3): Heart Chamber; Alley; (Open Chamber Slot)

Heart Chamber Burrows: To Alley

Merits (10)
  Anonymity 2
  Area of Expertise (Hacking) 1
  Killer Instinct 1
  Patient 1
  resources 3
  Spoor 2

Horror Stats
Power 3 Finesse 3 Resistance 3 (+1 to Power and +1 to Finesse)
Init 6(+1) Speed 11(+2)
Size 5 Health 8 Defense 4(+1)

- Who are your kin? Vampires +1
- Does your belly fill easily? Yes +1
- Are you a social predator? No +0
- How frequently do you show your true self? Infrequently +1
- How drawn to your lair are you? Not very, yet +1

Op3999

Sorry that it took me so long to get this done.  I'm also wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the pages that describe more Horror stats.  I couldn't find the stuff that calculated secondary, non-attribute stats.  Also couldn't find any pics that meshed with what I had in my head for the Horror and whatnot, sorry.

Marie Reynolds

Would anyone be able to help me  figure out   the amount of lair traits  i get  for 1 and 2 dot?

Mary's human form
Mary's Horror

Mary Sterling
Family: Eshmaki
Hunger: Collector
Legend: Seductive
Life: Loyal
Horror: Goblin Queen
Kinship: Changeling
Birthright:

Aspirations:

INT 2    STR 2     PRE 2
WIT 2    DEX 3    MAN 2
RES 2    STA 3    COM 3

Academics   1      Athletics 3        Animal Ken
Computer        Brawl 2            Empathy        2
Crafts 2          Drive              Expression        2
Investigation 2   Firearms           Intimidation 1 
Medicine         Larceny 3          Persuasion   
Occult 2          Stealth 2          Socialize        2
Politics         Survival     1      Streetwise   
Science           Weaponry           Subterfuge   

Init:
Speed:
Defense:
Willpower:  [------]
Health:  [-------]
Satiety:  (?)
Conditions: ?

Specialties
Athletics Contortion
Occult: Oniermancy
Larceny: Lock picking

Nightmares (2)
  you Can’t Wake Up
  You Cannot Run 

Atavism (2)
Alien Allure (Makara pg 124)
  From the Shadows(Eshmaki pg 125)
  Lair (?)

Merits (10)

Horror Stats
Power
Init (?) Speed (?)
Size ? Health ? Defense (?)

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Op3999 on October 11, 2018, 05:53:37 PM
Sorry that it took me so long to get this done.  I'm also wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the pages that describe more Horror stats.  I couldn't find the stuff that calculated secondary, non-attribute stats.  Also couldn't find any pics that meshed with what I had in my head for the Horror and whatnot, sorry.

Power, Finesse and Resistance in place of the regular Attributes, otherwise the calculations are exactly the same.

Power = Intelligence, Strength Presence
Finesse = Wits, Dexterity, Manipulation
Resistance = Resolve, Stamina, Composure

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 07:26:44 PM
Would anyone be able to help me  figure out   the amount of lair traits  i get  for 1 and 2 dot?
At Lair 1 you get 2 Lair Traits and can impose 1 per scene, at Lair 2 you get 3 Lair traits and can still only impose 1 per scene

Marie Reynolds

Hmm  oh so that  would  make the way I envisioned her feeding  rather difficult then. It would  use the  Maze and   Mirage traits simultaneously.

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 07:50:14 PM
Hmm  oh so that  would  make the way I envisioned her feeding  rather difficult then. It would  use the  Maze and   Mirage traits simultaneously.

To simulate the Hedge, right?

You could probably get away with that just by imposing the Maze trait.  The fact that a forest or an old hospital suddenly becomes labyrinthine is probably close enough to the strangeness of the Hedge to accurately simulate that effect.  For a starting character, anyways.

Marie Reynolds

Well the Mirage was to actually  induce an illusion of a different appearance  over her so she can appear to be a  fellow  victim trapped with in the maze.

Op3999

Oh, that's an interesting idea!  You might be able to work that better with the Inguma's Enemy Within Atavism which allows your Beast to disguise themselves as one of their previous victims.  It doesn't really state that you have to do this in order to fool acquaintances of the victim, so you might just be able to use it to turn your Beast into someone else for a scene (with Storyteller approval, I'm sure).

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 08:09:36 PM
Well the Mirage was to actually  induce an illusion of a different appearance  over her so she can appear to be a  fellow  victim trapped with in the maze.

Quote from: Op3999 on October 11, 2018, 07:58:20 PM
To simulate the Hedge, right?

You could probably get away with that just by imposing the Maze trait.  The fact that a forest or an old hospital suddenly becomes labyrinthine is probably close enough to the strangeness of the Hedge to accurately simulate that effect.  For a starting character, anyways.

This. Also keep in mind: You don't have to only feed by your preferred method, you just don't lose a die off of your feeding rolls when you do. A Predator who prefers to stalk people through labyrithine mazes and wound them a little can still eed in any way that makes some feel fear that you could (or have) hurt them. The idea is making someone feel like prey, and feel the shock and fear of it. Same goes for other hungers. And i second Op3999's idea and was about to suggest it myself. Enemy Within would be a good fit for you.

Marie Reynolds

Well its more then just her preferred  method  of  feeding  it also ties  in to  her being a  collector and the lessons she  teaches.

She collects the relationships she shares  in the dreams  she engages with them in. Her lessons are Hardships cannot be  overcome alone, So she poses as the other victim  to grow and share the  bond developed through over coming these hardships  together while in the maze.

She learned to develop this method of feeding indulging the beasts  hunger with help of her changeling true  friend also to essential hide in plain sight from heroes as coming off as a oneiromancer trying to better people.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 08:31:20 PM
Well its more then just her preferred  method  of  feeding  it also ties  in to  her being a  collector and the lessons she  teaches.

She collects the relationships she shares  in the dreams  she engages with them in. Her lessons are Hardships cannot be  overcome alone, So she poses as the other victim  to grow and share the  bond developed through over coming these hardships  together while in the maze.

She learned to develop this method of feeding indulging the beasts  hunger with help of her changeling true  friend also to essential hide in plain sight from heroes as coming off as a oneiromancer trying to better people.

I get that. What i'm saying is if that's the only way she feeds, she'll be hungry a lot. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can only do it one very specific way; Beast is a game where your Satiety will rise and fall constantly, and if you limit your hunting options you'll have a miserable time. Not saying you're doing it wrong, but don't close off options. Also, slight terminology correction: The human part is the Beast, the monster soul is the Horror. Another thing of note is that people focus a lot on lessons - that's a good thing, but not a thing every Beast necessarily cares about. The Horror certainly doesn't give a damn how it gets fed, so long as it does indeed get fed.

Horror Hierarchy of concerns goes like this:

1. Feeding and Survival
2. Everything else

Marie Reynolds

Hmm, I think I may have gotten in over my head with this, I am not sure if I can find the right balance between the person and the primordial walking ball of hunger.

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 09:27:30 PM
Hmm, I think I may have gotten in over my head with this, I am not sure if I can find the right balance between the person and the primordial walking ball of hunger.

Well that part actually does come in the lessons.  The Player's Guide details how the lessons are, in reality, more of a philosophical idea that Beasts have than something concrete/mechanical.  A Beast may hunger for the kind of fear people feel when they have to face a group obstacle alone, but it's the Beast, the human, that decides that there's an important lesson to be taught in that, how important those lessons are to the Beast.

The game mechanic that reflects this is Satiety and how desperate your character is.  If possible, we want to avoid attracting undue attention from Heroes and prevent the Horror the Beast can always feel from being an impossible to ignore, gnawing thing in the back of their mind, so when you're at low Satiety, the usual lesson may be simplified by luring someone into a bad neighborhood where they know there's a group of thugs just waiting for someone to walk alone through their territory.  It's less defined by the Lesson and more defined by the Hunger.  Then, later on at high Satiety, the desperation isn't there, but the lesson is still important, so the hunger narrows and the desires become more specific.  It becomes less about satisfying the base impulse and more about imparting that philosophical message again.

Does that help at all?

Marie Reynolds

It does, I just think I have realized I might not be able to roleplay out a beast for a long time, I will likely have the same struggles I did with playing vampire. Every Vampire I played the characters easily became stagnated and stopped having any growth or really contributing to stories. That is what  i am worried might happen here.

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 09:56:25 PM
It does, I just think I have realized I might not be able to roleplay out a beast for a long time, I will likely have the same struggles I did with playing vampire. Every Vampire I played the characters easily became stagnated and stopped having any growth or really contributing to stories. That is what  i am worried might happen here.

Well, we definitely don't want that and I do really like the idea of a Beast who's not only close to Changelings, but whose Horror is also a reflection of Fae-like themes.  Changelings are one of my favorite groups in WoD and putting that together with Beast creates some interesting possibilities, imo.

If you'd like, we could discuss character stuff via PM.  You bounce off ideas regarding your character in general and I could give you back some ideas that frame yours within the Beast/Changelings settings.  I am familiar with both, so maybe I could help you, there.

What do you think?

Marie Reynolds

Sure i can give  that a  try, though  right now i have  to go to sleep. Cause I have to wake  up and pretend to be an adult and work tomorrow.

Op3999

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 10:03:30 PM
Sure i can give  that a  try, though  right now i have  to go to sleep. Cause I have to wake  up and pretend to be an adult and work tomorrow.

Haha, same!  I can't promise an immediate reply when we do start chatting, but I will try and make sure to get you a response as soon as I can.

TheKhan

So it's pretty awesome that people are jumping in and helping out when I'm not around! Give me a good feeling about this game lasting in the long haul.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on October 11, 2018, 09:56:25 PM

Try this: Treat your Beast character as not two, but three different characters. The Beast, the Horror, and the Lair itself. The Lair is a reflection of you - your inner landscape composed of your mental state, life experiences and feelings as combined with your Horrors. The Lair is where human and monster meet, literally and figuratively, and merge. That struggle between Beast and Horror - the common ground and the differences between them - is a great way to give your character life. Give your Horror a personality all its own; Horrors can speak to others who are in their presence in the Lair, and they are as intelligent as or even more intelligent than the average person (their Power attribute is their Intelligence, so your Horror could potentially be smarter than you are).

For example, with David i'm making his Horror actually surprisingly social - he is somewhat of a loner, but his Horror actually pushes him to find family (Other Beasts and supernaturals) to observe and interact with, despite the fact that they typically find him unsettling at best.

TheKhan

It looks to me like everyone is pretty much good to go, so I have made us an OOC thread. If you are ready, please transfer your character sheet over there. We'll keep that chatter to this thread until all the sheets have been posted.

TheKhan

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, i missed the OOC thread and wondered why no one was talking.

TheKhan

TheGlyphstone

Though the typo in the OOC thread title is going to bug the crap out of me now.

TheKhan