You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 14, 2018, 12:42:47 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Is Discord screen reader accessible yet?  (Read 166 times)

Online BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Is Discord screen reader accessible yet?
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
I can't seem to find anything more recent than the middle of last year, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if Discord has finally broken down and fixed the window desktop issue with screen readers, or is it still unaccessible. I get a lot of request from potential partners to discuss story concepts on discord and few of them understand why I don't have discord; that when I last checked, it had no screen reader support. This really bothers me as I seem to lose more potentials over this, but what can I do? If the issue has been resolved, I would love to know about it.

Offline Nymphadora

• Tonks, if she were shy. The knitting Nymph.
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • You can't take the sky from me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Is Discord screen reader accessible yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
Sadly and ridiculously, I can't find anything that indicates Discord has done more towards making this a thing. I use Better Discord that has a lot of plugins and such but even they don't seem to have anything. I am just finding more requests for them to try a plugin of a screen reader.

No real timeline from Discord that I can find either. Maybe someone else with better Google-Fu will be able to see more details.

Online BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »
Sadly, my own google-fu is still in the gold belt area. If I look hard enough, I can usually stumble across what I need in a couple of hours, but... Just call me Grasshoppa

But if you tell me to take a pebble from your hand, lol

Anyway, thanks for trying and I guess that I'll stay with Skype for now, which isn't all that friendly toward screen readers either... which is why I rarely use it either.

Online Mirrah

• [Self-contained Kitsune] [Mischievous Brat] [Incorrigible Tease] [Monday]
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • You can't take the sky from me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »
I'm not sure about Discord being screen reader accessible, but the closest thing I can think of to that at the moment, is the "/tts" or "text-to-speech" command that can be activated. It will read what you've posted to everyone in the channel or chat room (if they have it activated). I'm not certain if the default setting has it turned on, but it is in the User Settings, under Text & Images, and is the option all the way at the bottom.

Also, if you turn on Text-To-Speech Notifications for all channels, if someone sends a message (that is text), the voice will also read everything they post to you and/or that channel you're in (this is under Notifications).

The only problem is that I think it may be a one time reading of the text that has been inputted, and am not certain if there's a way to get it to replay it.