Star Horizon [Sci-Fi Survival Horror Interest Check] LGBTQ+

Started by Dhampyress, May 25, 2018, 04:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhampyress

GMs: Blissy
Co GMs: Novembers Bleed
Please contact us for any further questions.

Concept
Star Horizon is a tentative survival horror role-play concept. The concept is inspired by a number of conventional elements spread through a variety of different science fiction horror . It's direction is to use a semi-sand box experience with a strong GM-driven interactive story. The setting would take place in an isolated, but rather vast Space Station; known as Star Horizon. The station would be located in the far reaches of deep space, while taking place in a futuristic set piece. The station served as an experimental science and technology facility for several years before going dark. Communications from the station have been down for several months.

The dangers of this setting would be divided into several different forms. There would be the  environmental concerns of the station staying habitable, as it's been slowly falling apart, following a devastating and mysterious power surge that originally led the station to go dark. Additionally the last transmissions received from the station came with strange disturbing sounds of several unknown origins. Something has gone terribly wrong at Star Horizon and whatever that is has only grown worse in the last several months. Non environmental dangers on the station would come in three forms; Parasitic, Biomechanic, and Occult.

Player Characters
The PC's (player characters) would play the protagonists in this concept. The protagonists would be crew members who were put into cryogenic sleep, several weeks before the devastation. These characters would be awoken from cyrogenic sleep with distorted memories, caused by the actions of a mysterious station android, that would be played by myself. These characters would be able to remember who they are, and what they did on the station, but they would know nothing about what has caused the current circumstances that would start the game. The ultimate goal for the player base is to survive, and unchart the mysterious of the Star Horizon. I'd encourage exploration and interaction not just with fellow players, but the world itself, which will be as expansive as players may desire it to be. The expansion of the space station will actually depend on the players desire to explore it, further opening up access to it's many levels and further secrets. Or the cast can simply try and escape. The protagonists would be put into a group of six to eight, depending on the final turn out number of interest. I'm only looking for a maximum number of eight other writers to fill up roles. Myself is not included in that number as I'd be playing a few characters meant to lightly guide the story forward, but would not consider these characters as true members of the cast.

There would be only one player group that may later be divided into two smaller groups, for story-telling purposes. Players would not be limited to these groups however, and may go and come as they please, among the station. The focus of the game would surround around the central cast of remaining crew members that would be the only known survivors left on the ship. Each crew member would fit an archetypal role, that's fitting of a space station, to bring something to the group. Each character would be different from the next. There will be no doubles of any one archetype, making each character unique in their skills and weaknesses. The goal of these survivors is to work together as each of them brings something vital to the group. The group would grow among one another and cooperate to overcome certain situations and would be encouraged to work as a team, rather than individually.

As it currently is; my list of roles for the cast would be as follows. I may be open to openning up one more role, that isn't already listed here. However, the role would need to stand out from the other characters tropes.

The Researcher (The Brain) - Reserved by: Re Z L
The Security Officer (The Brawns) - Reserved by: Heinakori
The Engineer (The Tech) - Reserved  by: Chreestafer
The Medic (The Doc) - Reserved by: November Bleeds
The Pilot (The Pilot) - Taken by: CurvyKitten
The Pathfinder (The Explorer) - Taken by: Iejir
The Scraper (The Scavenger) - Taken by: Kyrsa
The Citizen (Simply someone who had residence on the station prior to events) - Reserved by: Mayna
The Hacker (Likely a convict) - Reserved by: Lingo
The Personnel (Staff / Jack-of-all-trades) - Reserved by: El Maligno
Custodian (Janitor) - Reserved by: nastroma

Alongside character sheets I'd be implementing a very simplistic points sheet to help manage character strengths. These strengths and weaknesses of these characters, would factor into the experiences that befallen them in the current dangerous circumstances that have consumed the space station. I'd be expanding on this system after enough interest is shown for me to proceed forward.

What to expect from the game

• Survival horror / Isolation
  • Alien/Occult/Psychological forms of horror
  • Mystery
  • Story Driven
  • Science Fiction
  • Semi-sandbox
  • GM driven
  • Prompts and choices
  • Freeform choices
  • Dicerolls to assist with exploration and combat
  • Minimal character sheets using small numbers to assist with balancing strengths and weaknesses
  • Inventory / Item system; to regulate & track player inventories.

What we're searching for from players

• One paragraph minimum
  • One post a week minimum with exceptions
  • Willing to work together with other players
  • Appeal toward horror, adventure, with slight drama
  • Realism; to the spiritual sense of the game. This is a horror game.
  • Open to potential light archetypes that differ from one another

Where to from here?
As I stated above; this is a tentative interest check. If the concept appeals to you please let me know here. You may feel free to reserve character roles at any time. Once and if this thread picks up enough interest, I will expand briefly on some of the information provided here at that time. I have further ideas for a story and details to add to the stations creativity. I will post these once and if this interest check collects enough interest.

Dhampyress

Star Log Of Subsequent Days Upon The Star Horizon
(Everything you need to know leading up to the beginning of the role-play.. Written by: Korbin Thompson.. a now missing member of the crew)
Please read this for further insight into very elements that are in play aboard the station.
The Star Log (Recent)

Year:: 2758

-A Monday. Star Horizon received another large shipment of supplies from the earth resource team. Supplies included everything needed to keep the station running fit and well for the next five years. It's going to get crowded down in the cargo bay, if they don't organize those new supplies properly. I know we got a lot of newcomers coming in but, this is a lot of supplies.. I thought my group was going soon? Free to go? Maybe not. Ah well, I got to speak with the logistics in charge of this... End Log.

-A Tuesday. Star Horizon received a minor batch shipment of new recruits. Each of which were recently fit with their roles on the station. Training processes have been smooth and simplistic. Advanced training will presume sometime next week... Never did like the way things worked around here. Training is slow and the new recruits are always a handful. Noisy bunch these ones are. Whatever, they're suppose to be my replacements so who cares right? Bunch of underachievers I think, not like it matters.... End Log.

-A Wednesday. The “research” team up in Delta Lab received their first phenomenal breakthrough. I'm not sure if I should be thrilled or freaked the hell out? Those scientists were working on some weird stuff that kinda gave me the creeps. The contents of this report have been kept confidential until allowed to be released by central command of the research division. Just more stuff I need to log, but don't really care about.. This job sucks. Can't I go home soon? Jesus! ... End Log.

-A Thursday. The station seems lively, things are going well and the division responsible for technological development has apparently been experimenting with a form of new technology that they believe will bring a breakthrough within a short time. If you ask me, their just jealous of the folks in Delta. They want to make it seem like their on to something. Everybody knows about the beef Delta lab has with Alpha lab and frankly everyone’s getting tired of hearing about it. Be it what it is at least the folks around here still have high spirits, even despite the fact that a few of the crew went mysteriously missing below deck. Bunch of the engineers that more or less live below deck, are on their toes about it. They won't stop talking about it. They've been talking about weird sounds coming from near the core, but they get all hush hush about it when security comes through. Seems everyone around here has got secrets. Least I got a bud or two to gossip about it with. It's nice to have someone to spread rubbish with. Especially when you feel you've been left in the dark about mostly everything outside your field, on this metal hunk of space wonder.... End Log.

-A Friday. That damn A.I: CRONOS, that oversees the station, has been acting up again. To make matters worse; power to the station was lost for several hours, but quickly restored. Everyone was a little rattled up, but things are going well again, even if that A.I doesn't seem to be providing answers as to what the cause was. Engineers certainly don't know what it was. If you ask me I think there's something off about CRONOS. Never did like computers, never understood the ones that could think like that.. Weirds me out a whole lot.. But who cares, accidents happen right? At least the engineers got things back up and running. Everything seems normal even without a concrete explanation.... End Log.

-A Saturday. The exploration teams that go outside the ship have been talking about some amazing archaeological discovery on the second closest moon to the station, Typon XI. They've undisclosed what it is, and refuse to tell us what is going on out there.. I’m going to keep on trying to figure out what's so damn special about it. Between everything that's been happening more answers is certainly better than less.... End Log.

-A Sunday. I always knew there was something fishy about ATLAS technologies. Don't get me wrong. What's good for the Star Horizon is probably better for all of us, but ATLAS has released some faulty droids on more than one occasion. People seem to get so blind-slighted by the cosmetic appeal of the bots that fill up almost every aide side role on the station. Those damn TX bot's aren't nearly as dependable as they are pretty. A buddy of mine had a pretty close call with one of the service girls at the crew lounge. There was blood everywhere, he's lucky he didn't lose anything vital. The particular unit has been deactivated and scrapped, but there are just somethings you can't unsee.

-A Monday. Since that special discovery the other day, things have been getting a little weird around here. People that normally talk about things just started shutting up. I don't know what's got into everybody, but it's like were not allowed to be curious around here, and suddenly being social about anything other than duty, or protocol, is hard to come by. Whatever, I'll just try not to let it bother me.... End Log.

-A Tuesday. It's like people are disappearing around here... Those few missing members earlier on in the week we’re just scratching the surface. The halls are getting less crowded and people aren't all in each others way anymore. It's a bit weird. Everyone’s been hush hush about everything, so it's been tough to find a source of explanation. I swear the station was twice as populated just the other day. It's becoming eerie just how well I can hear myself think, but maybe it's the thinking that's really freaking me out.... End Log.

-A Wednesday. I have no idea what's going on.. This is insane. I was taking a stroll through R&R to relax over at the Cantina and I saw something ghastly come flying out of medical. Few minutes later there was a floor wide security breach and everyone was on lock-down. I tried to relocate with the folks in the Cantina but something abhorrent chased me to the Mess Hall! Just the other day things were quiet, but now.. I'm hiding in a damn vent that leads out of Mess Hall A, on the third floor. I don't want to go out there again.. I'm not going back out there again with whatever the hell I just saw trying to tear people apart. God knows what-.......! ... End Log.

-A Thursday. Maybe I was dreaming? I can't remember a damn thing... All of last week is blank. I checked my PDA to refer back to everything I logged and I don't remember writing any of this. My head feels heavy and my body weak, like I haven't slept in days.. I'm just going to curl up here and sleep for a bit.. I'll finish this log later..... End Log.

-A Friday...... The door is shut... ... End Log.

-End of logs..

Character & Stats Sheet

[float=left][img height=375 padding=8]Image 1 here[/img]
[img height=155 padding=10]Image 2 here (optional)[/img][img height=155 padding=10]Image 3 here (optional)[/img][/float]
[b]Face Claim[/b]:
[b]Character Name[/b]:
[b]Nicknames & Alias[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Sexuality[/b]:
[b]Ethnicity[/b]:
[b]Role/Job[/b]: (What does your character do at Star Horizon. Why are they here?)
[b]Starting Inventory[/b]: (Two max. Make them relevant to your character. These will be rp'd in within their first posts. These items will be found in front of your character upon awakening from cryogenic sleep)
[b]Personality Traits[/b]: [Three key traits minimum]
[b]Hobbies & Interest[/b]: [Help further define your character, what makes them who they are? Optional.]
[b]Pet peeves[/b]:
[b]Habits & Mannerisms[/b]: [Little things that define your character physically or mental. Ex: Biting your nails, negative thinking, quick to assumptions.]
[b]Distinguishing Figures[/b]: [Besides their photo, what else defines them?]
[b]Character Fears[/b]: [No less than two]
[b]Secrets[/b]: [Have fun with this. It can be anything from dark to dirty. Only your character knows this. These will only be known by the GM’s.]

Strengths & Weaknesses [Points system]
[b]20 Points Only! Spend wisely.[/b]

[b]Strength [/b]: [i](Hands on capability. Ability to carry weight or use physical force)[/i]
[b]Will / Tenacity[/b]: [i](Your characters ability to motivate themselves. To do things. To take pain or endure pain.)[/i]
[b]Dexterity[/b]: [i](Ability to perform at said role of expertise)[/i] :
[b]Agility / Stamina / Athleticism[/b]: [i](How nimble is your character? Can they pace themselves while on the move?)[/i] :
[b]Combat[/b] : (This reflects your characters hand to hand skills)
[b]Weaponry[/b]: [i](This reflects your characters ability with wielding a weapon)[/i]
[b]Intelligence / Knowledge[/b]: [i](This isn't common sense. Everyone has that to some extent. This is your characters ability to really think on intricate levels. Eg; Solve puzzles and apply logic in useful ways) [/i]

[b]Bio[/b]: (This should also include why they are aboard the Star Horizon.)

[b]!Disclaimer! By filling this character template out you are giving consent to take part in a role-play where your character will not always win. You accept this and the consequences that come with your characters actions and decision. No one character in this role-play is immune to death. Please provide your Elliquiy username at the end of your application with the words “Sincerely”.[/b]

Please PM any character sheets to myself and November Bleeds. Once they are reviewed we will give you the okay to post them publicly here on the interest check. A character archive will be made once we've started collecting a few character sheets.

20 points to spread out through the six categories below! As mentioned above, this system exists within your character profile to provide a sense of strength and weakness to them. This MUST be applied to the end of your characters profile upon posting your application on the interest check thread. If there is any confusion regarding this system, please do not hesitate to ask how this would work through PM or thread.

Small and important things for you to know while creating your character using the points system.
- You may only have a single “5” in one category only. This exists to keep your character balanced within their role on ship.
- Any “5's” will grant your character a hidden bonus to actions associated with that particular skill category.
-Each player with a “5” will be given a very moderate passive ability or perk effect. For example “The Medic does a better job tending to wounds then a self patch up would do. Or, the Scraper could spot worth in junk that others could not.” These categories will be more efficient in the higher the number they have in each category.
- Further explanation on rolls and the system will be shortly.

November Bleeds

Slides into thread

Co-GM / Medic here. :D Interested, of course. Curious to see where this group game is headed!

TheSecretsofMe

Lady Sakura

I love survival horror games! Planting a flag of interest here. Though I'll have to see if I can dedicate the time to it. I'll have a lot on my plate come June.

Dhampyress

Glad to see some interest.

Once we have more interest I'll see to releasing the character sheets! :-)

Blythe

Tentative interest! I'm most intrigued at the idea of playing as The Hacker~

Mayna

Well im looking forward to trying this one.  Very interested!

Kye

Tentative interest as well.  Would be most interested in The Scraper.

CurvyKitten

Go ahead and reserve the pilot for me.  :) please and thank you!

Dhampyress

Quote from: CurvyKitten on May 27, 2018, 01:47:09 PM
Go ahead and reserve the pilot for me.  :) please and thank you!

Will do. :-)

And I'm thrilled to see so much interest. I'll be working on the character sheet layout today.

Iejir

Also tentative interest and would be most interested in the Security Officer.

Re Z L

Been mulling over this for a bit, sounds like a cool idea...I'm getting a distinct Pandorum and Event Horizon vibe.

The Researcher position sounds like it'd be fun  ;D
A&A

Dhampyress

Oh seeing all this interest is absolutely wonderful! I've been working away to bring character sheets up, as well further information about the Star Horizons subsequent days into its, current, chaotic state, to all of you. With that said the Character Sheets, and Star Log, have both been added to the thread. Feel free to start putting character concepts together. Please PM any character sheets to myself and November Bleeds. Once they are reviewed we will give you the okay to post them publicly here on the interest check. A character archive will be made once we've started collecting a few character sheets. I've also updated the roles to reflect where interest stands currently. In the event you'd like to switch roles simply just ask.

I also wanted to announce that I'm opening two more roles up, with a third reservation. Both of these roles are open to player interest.

The first role will be The Pathfinder, who we've separated from the Pilot role. The Pathfinder role will be it's own individual role. We'll be treating the Pathfinder as someone who's been on world to some of the Star Horizon's surrounding planets and has some experience in excavation or exploring.

The second role is The Personnel, who is something of a jack of all trades. We'd like to approach this role as a sort of in training individual aboard the station, who has yet to be placed in an exact field of expertise. Think of them as a neophyte aboard the station.

The third is and reserved role is The Custodian. The Custodian is someone who tends to the stations general cleanliness and has knowledge of the ships corridors and secrets.

We'll be opening a F.A.Q.S section next and currently have our focus on system elements of the game!

Iejir

I love the new roles spinning up.

Please swap me to 'The Pathfinder'.

Dhampyress

Quote from: Iejir on May 28, 2018, 02:13:31 AM
I love the new roles spinning up.

Please swap me to 'The Pathfinder'.

I've readjusted the role reservation for you. :-)

Hamadryad

I'm interested in playing the security officer. Ill try and get a sheet in today.

Serana

I would be interested in playing the personnel! :D

I can get a character sheet together tomorrow, if that's alright? Have to get to bed early tonight but have time after work tomorrow :)

Lingo

Hiya, I wanted to show my interest here as well- sadly it looks like all roles are spoken for, but please let me know if here are any other roles that could open up!

Re Z L

Is there a specific research field that would be best?  Could probably wing it to be just about anything judging by the vague blurb in the little intro post.

I figure some form of biology would at least cross over neatly with the Medic and/or physics could potentially intersect with the engineer.
A&A

Dhampyress

Quote from: Hamadryad on May 29, 2018, 06:08:32 PM
I'm interested in playing the security officer. Ill try and get a sheet in today.

Looking forward to what you might come up with! :-)

Quote from: Serana on May 29, 2018, 08:08:46 PM
I would be interested in playing the personnel! :D

I can get a character sheet together tomorrow, if that's alright? Have to get to bed early tonight but have time after work tomorrow :)

That perfectly alright. I'll reserve the personnel for you in the meantime.

Quote from: Lingo on May 29, 2018, 08:56:51 PM
Hiya, I wanted to show my interest here as well- sadly it looks like all roles are spoken for, but please let me know if here are any other roles that could open up!

If a role opens up I'll certainly let you know! :-)

Quote from: Re Z L on May 29, 2018, 08:57:59 PM
Is there a specific research field that would be best?  Could probably wing it to be just about anything judging by the vague blurb in the little intro post.

I figure some form of biology would at least cross over neatly with the Medic and/or physics could potentially intersect with the engineer.

There is no specific standard of research you'd have to choose from. Feel free to do whatever is interesting for you and the character concept you might be working on.

Blythe

Heya, I will have to withdraw my interest! This looks like an absolutely amazing game, but a strong character idea just isn't coalescing in my mind for it, so I'd rather go ahead and bow out.

Happy gaming to everyone, though, and I hope the group is enjoyable! (If I get more free time I just might have to at least read along given the talented people showing interest; I bet it'll be a great read!) ^^

nastroma

Hello hello! Your friendly neighborhood custodian is present and ready.

CurvyKitten

I'm trying to work on this sheet, my muse is being evil. But I'm still trying.