You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 21, 2021, 09:34:40 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Witcher: Northern Winds Interest Check - Freeform Fantasy  (Read 4154 times)

Offline TolvoTopic starter

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2

Hello there everyone. I was curious if anyone would be interested in a freeform Witcher roleplay that takes place after the ending of the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I was thinking of having it take place in either the North or the South, in either Nilfgaard or the realms of Kovir and Poviss. With a focus on exploring places not seen before in the Witcher games or not explored as much in the books. I do not require extensive Witcher knowledge and can help out with what knowledge I have(Still need to finish the books). Now I had a couple of ideas for the stories we could go with.

A New Witcher School. Simply we'd create a new Witcher School, one that is either in the far North or South. Where a group of Mages and others have been tasked with creating a school. Players could be Witchers or anyone involved while the school is tested and put through trials, as well as those involved being tested and tried. Unlike other Witcher schools as well I wasn't going to make this one gender restricted. Nor race restricted.

Adventuring Party. This would focus more on an adventuring party tasked with a quest which we could work on together and brainstorm, this one I'd put a limit of one of each type of arch-typical character in the Witcher series. Like one Witcher and one Mage for instance. Since those are quite rare, especially the Witchers.

World Info

Witcher - A Witcher is a special type of mutant that is created via ingesting alchemy and magical experimentation. Witchers are not born they are created, each is infertile and has yellow/amber eyes with cat-like slits in them. A Witcher is faster, stronger, and more agile than normal people. They are trained to become monster slayers and are generally looked down upon by people as being mutants. Witchers carry two main weapons, one steel and one silver as most monsters are only harmed by silver weapons. Witchers can cast very basic magic in the form of signs that do very specific things.

Mage(Sorcerer, Sorceress, Druids, Priests, etc) - Mages in the world of The Witcher are often involved in politics and recently were heavily persecuted in the Northern Kingdoms. Mages can draw magic from the elements such as water, wind, earth, and fire. Fire being the most dangerous. Cast spells can have a variety of effects but the more powerful a spell if done instantaneous the more drained the mage will be. There were schools of magic but after groups of mages started wars and coups and betrayed their people, they are mostly disliked. It should be mentioned magic has a sort of radiation in this setting that can make people infertile or warp them.

Humans - Humans are the most widespread sapiants of the Witcher world. They can be found nearly everywhere. Foreign to the Continent, they arrived some time ago and conquered much of it sending the Elves and Dwarves to the fringes.

Elves - Elves have some main groups, there are the Aen Seidhe and the Aen Elle. Aen Elle live on another world entirely while Aen Seidhe live on the Continent. They are highly oppressed and rarely even have children, their numbers are dwindling. Much of them live up in the Blue Mountains in hiding or in their elven duchy of Dol Blathanna. Elves have pointed ears and speak their ancient language known as Elder Speech.

Dwarves - Short and stout, Dwarves are like Elves in that they lived on the Continent before humans arrived. They were beaten down though adapted better than Elves. Now Dwarves live in many cities in the north and have one of their own, Mahakam, where a great deal of ores are smelted and forged into weapons and more.

Monsters - There are many kinds of monsters in the Witcher. Some are intelligent some are not. Intelligent monsters are rare and can have their own desires and affiliations. Unintelligent ones are almost always hostile. Monsters arrived to the Continent during the Conjunction of Spheres, and are technically alien creatures. Most are weak to silver.

Northern Kingdoms - The Northern Kingdoms were made up mainly of Kaedwen, Temeria, Aedirn, and Redania. With the victory of Nilfgaard they have taken over almost all of the Northern Kingdoms and now rule over them.

Empire of Nilfgaard - The largest Empire in the known world on the Continent, led by Emhyr var Emreis, the Empire of Nilfgaard has won its war in the north and conquered most of the Northern Kingdoms. They are imperialists who are also eugenicists who believe in purity of their own kind and blood. Nilfgaardians are now replacing Nordlings in the north.

Kovir and Poviss - A neutral kingdom in the far north, Kovir and Poviss have stayed neutral in the wars between the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard. After the fall of the Northern Kingdoms Kovir and Poviss took in many of its refugees. Displaced Nordlings flocked in droves creating some animosity. Kovir and Poviss also mine and export the largest amounts of silver and gold in the world.

Continent - The name of the Continent in the Witcher series.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:04:21 pm by Tolvo »

Online Lustful Bride

• "Logic is for Squares."
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: The Witcher: Northern Winds Interest Check - Freeform Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:55:01 am »
*plants interest flag* With finals week almost over, I will have more time to play this game and I am fascinated to see where it goes.

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:00:09 am »
Yeah I was thinking about that I'd like to start after people would be done with finals so people would have more time to play. Glad to hear you're interested. ^_^

Offline Timeless

• Mugen | Inked Storyweaver | Nebula Fanatic | Creator
  • Centurion
  • Addict
  • Like a moth to a flame.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:16:38 am »
>__> I seriously love The Witcher 3 and the universe, so.. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:24:42 am »
Glad to hear, I really love it as well and I figure people might enjoy another story in that universe. ^_^

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:30:02 am »
Will there be Character sheet we can use? What about other bits of lore and such to help us get back in the setting/tell of what has happened since the end of the game?

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:39:29 am »
I'll set up a character sheet in just a bit.

As for what has happened since the ending. I was thinking these would be the way we'll go with the ending for Witcher 3's events. Since they seem to fall most in line with what the books would go for as well as seeming in my opinion to follow the canon the closest for each character. Some are personal preference like Skellige getting a queen.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Ciri becomes a Witcher, Yennefer and Geralt live on their own together, the mages escape Novigrad, the Emperor of Nilfgaard wins, Skellige has a new Queen, Radovid was assassinated, Detlaff dies, Ribbon Ending, Regis Stays, Olgierd's curse is lifted.

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:02:37 am »
Down below is what I was thinking of for a character sheet. I don't want it to be too overly complex while covering most of the things we'll need to know.

Player Name:
Character Name:
Sexual Orientation:
Race:

Appearance: (Require a description but you can also use a picture)
Height:
Weight:
Notable Features: (Notable physical features)

Notable Equipment: (Important Equipment to Note)
Weapons: (Any Weapons)
Attire/Armor: (Can have multiple outfits for different purposes)
Extra Equipment:

Class/Archtype: (Something to give us an idea of what type of character yours will be. Like a Bard, a Fire Mage, a Witcher, Soldier, Cavalier, etc).
Personality:
Backstory:
Skills: (List the sorts of skills your character is good at. For example Horse Riding, Herbalism, Longsword Use, Magical Knowledge, History, etc).
Abilities/Aspects: (List the sorts of abilities and aspects your character has. Examples would be like Fire Magic Casting, Witcher Sign Casting, for abilities. For aspects, things like having a strong back, being magical, infertile, buff as hell, etc).

Offline Deamonbane

• “If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 12:14:48 pm »
*peeks in* Always down for some Witchering adventures.

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »
Glad to hear, let me know if any of ya'll have further questions or ideas. ^_^

Offline ff

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • It all began when I saw this sphere of you.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 01:34:07 pm »
This is a fantastic concept. I can't believe I never thought to do a Witcher RP!

I'm guessing we should not play canon characters? (But if are mostly playing canon chars, dibs on Triss!)

You mentioned the premise of starting a new witcher school but mages being involved in setting it up, and fire mage as one of the possible roles. So would it be fine if I play a sorceress? (If not that's cool, I'll do a witcher who emphasizes signs more than swordplay.) Probably a less powerful sorceress than Yen/Triss/Keira/Philippha et. al. Maybe one whose role is to educate witchers about signs, and magic and potion alchemy in general (feeling the pull of nearby places of power etc.) Maybe a druid-like sorceress. with an emphasis on healing and herbalism, who  studied with the  Skellige druids and the lodge of sorceresses

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »
Yeah I was thinking we'd go with all OC's. And totally those sorts of characters would fit. That's what I was thinking so that if people don't want to be Witchers for that concept they don't have to be. You could be mages, soldiers, traders, anyone that they could think of that would be helpful in setting up a Witcher school. ^_^

Offline ff

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 02:21:32 pm »
Sounds good.

Is it OK if I reference crossing paths with some canon chars in my background - specifically, since I'm leaning to playing a char who grew up on Skellige and studied w/ the druids some (before moving to the mainland and the Lodge of Sorceresses), and I noticed
Cerys an Craite ascending the Skellige throne
the canon ending mentioned above, a character I liked a lot, I might reference that my char worked for a while as a handmaiden / healer / herbalist for her new court.

Also she probably have crossed paths with the other Lodge sorceresses since its membership not that big (but would not be at the level of infamy or power of their most prominent members like Phlippa and Yen). Since you had
Geralt end up with Yen, can I make a reference to my char having maybe drunkenly hooked up with Triss or Keira a few times in the past ;)

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 02:27:51 pm »
Yep that all sounds pretty good. Crossing paths with canon characters is totally cool. Especially with how much some of them travel and then being a sorceress a character could live pretty long. And yeah some of the circles are a bit small and mages seem to all know of each other and often meet. And people like Zoltan or Dandelion travel a lot for instance.

Offline ff

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 03:12:40 pm »
Sweet. Yeah Dandelion seems like he knows everyone (epecially the ladies heh heh)

some cute fanart to get the juices flowin

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 03:23:13 pm »
Gosh I still remember how many times I teared up during Witcher 3 from moments with Ciri. T_T

I'm hoping to do the series justice in this RP! Should we talk brainstorming or anything? Are people more interested in one plot over another?

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 03:34:05 pm »
Will we see Iorveth?

Id like to see some simpler missions sometimes to help the characters unwind, dealing with Neker or Insectoid swarms and burning out nests to save some people. Something that lets them handle simpler problems and earn some coin.

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 03:36:23 pm »
Yeah I was thinking we wouldn't be taking on things at the same level of Geralt, like I'm not gonna throw like a High Vampire at ya'll at least not early on or anything to that degree. I was thinking simpler stuff yeah or dealing with other problems, with a lot of ways for characters to talk and interact their way through things as well.

Offline ff

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 05:43:59 pm »
Character Name: Gwendolyn an Montlac
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Race: Human, of the Skellige Isles
Appearance: Hale and hearty; favors attire in earth tones or simple grays and whites
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 140
Notable Features: Dirty blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, long strong legs, tall for a woman but otherwise physically unassuming
Weapons: Carries a few daggers, a short sword, a small crossbow, and a small rune-etched axe from her native Skellige which in truth she usually uses for wood when trekking. She has modest skill at arms at best, and thinks of physical weapons primarily as deterrents against pickpockets, belligerent lusty tavern drunkards, alleyway molesters, and the like.
Attire/Armor: favors earth-toned sorceress’s robes, or dresses and corsets, and fine lingerie. Often wears cloaks and knee- or thigh-high leather boots, especially when trekking. Sometimes wears boiled leather bracers, leg guards, and chest pieces when expecting melee combat, but primarily relies on avoiding it entirely or using protective queen magic.
Example sorceress robe attire

Extra Equipment: Alchemical tools and supplies such as mortar and pestel, sieves of various fineness, herbs, pates, minerals, chemicals, and vials. Bandages and sutures and other medical supplies. Handheld mirrors and silver water bowl for scrying. Rope for climbing and tying parcels. When trekking, bedroll and small tent and rations. Gwent cards (she's a decent and very enthusiastic player).
Class/Archtype: Sorceress
Personality: Has a feminine voice which contrasts amusingly with her rough sense of humor; she can swear and joke like the saltiest of Skellige sailors. She can be blunt and shameless and prideful; speaking her mind and letting others be offended if they will. However she is caring and nurturing to those who need aid. Assertive and dominant with most; will follow a leader she believes in, and is submissive towards those few deemed worthy. Tries to diffuse tense or potentially violent situations with talk, misdirection, or perhaps axii magic (which sometimes backfires). Sexually a switch (usually domme) with women, and submissive (but far more selective) with men.

Backstory: Gwendolyn hails from one of the Skellige’s few non-coastal settlements, Rogne, a mountain village near the center of its largest isle, Ard Skellig. She was born to loving but unambitious parents, her father a hunter and her mother a gardener and seamstress. Gwendolyn took quickly to thirsty absorption of knowledge, and learned what she might from such as village artisans and the druids and priestesses. To the latter, Gwendolyn thought for a time to devote her life, and was indeed a novice priestess of Freya, the Skelligan goddess of fertility and love and beauty. There she might well lived out her life, perhaps becoming a wife and mother, had her thirst for knowledge been more easily slaked. She desired ever the knowledge of the revered druids of Skellige, who were always selective with the taking on of acolytes, and all but impossibly opaque to womenfolk. Gwendolyn earned herself some measure of sacrilegious trouble when she stubbornly sought to learn all their secrets and magics.

She was on the verge of being exiled or worse, when larger political winds blew in her favor. There came the rare ascension of a princess, Cerys an Craite, to the throne of Skellige. Gwendolyn guessed this an opportunity. What knowledge of herbs and healing and magic she did have as a priestess more than sufficed to get her taken on as one of the new queen’s attendants. She worked as handmaiden, herbalist, and healer to the court, and likely would be midwife should the queen bear any children. Gwendolyn, when she subtly could, made suggestions to Cerys that perhaps declaring the druids ought take on women would bolster Cerys’s own claim as queen, by warming the populace to such notions in general. In her heart, Gwendolyn was ambitious, and saw herself an eventual place as chief druid and advisor to the queen, much like the role the elderly archdruid Mousesack had played to the island and its last king, Cerys’s late father.

Though Cerys’s ear proved tentatively receptive, Gwendolyn in other ways overplayed her hand. The other druids smelled out an ecclesiastical coup in the form of Gwendolyn and some of the other priestesses of Freya; they drummed up noise against her from among the noblemen and war captains. They circulated rumors that, out of black magic fed lusty ambition, Gwendolyn had been warming not only the queen’s ear, but also her bed. Admittedly, these rumors may have had some truth.

Cerys, fearful of discord and her own somewhat tenuous throne, privately suggested that Gwendolyn remove herself to the mainland for a time. Perhaps she might gain entry at the Lodge of Sorceresses, or at least learn for a time of magics and politics in ways she might not on Skellige, and perhaps eventually return with the power to back up her ambitions, and when the populace had grown more used to having a queen. 

This suited Gwendolyn just fine, for the prospect of the knowledge of sorceresses had more appeal than druidic politics, and she desired to see the wider world. And in truth she was becoming more than a little worried of being formally excommunicated by the druids and priestesses, or even murdered in her sleep.

So, she sailed with the tide to the mainland. Once she was able to gain attention of sorceresses, her existing magical knowledge allowed her to keep it. The deep delving into lore and magic she took to well, but she found the catty politics of sorceresses, and those of mainland kingdoms, to be even worse than the feuds back home! This time, Gwendolyn tried to keep her head down, avoid power struggles, and merely look to after her own knowledge and power and safety. In the aftermath of mainland war, there were many to be healed, of wounds from prior battles or free-roaming bandits and monsters, or of the famine-borne ailments that followed war. Otherwise, she tried to give the political fallout of the recent struggles a wide berth, and not to take sides. She avoided entireties from rulers to become a court sorceress or advisor, such as she knew Yennefer of Vendeburg had recently been for Nilfgaard, or  Triss Merigold for Temeria.

And so, when Gwendolyn heard of other opportunities somewhat removed from the immediate sororal bickering of the Lodge, Gwendolyn, though still in contact with and a member of it, did not mind the chance to put some distance between herself and its various political and romantic rivalries.

Skills: Herbalism, Healing, Magical Knowledge. Some sailing and ropework knowledge. Modest experience with physical weapons.
Abilities/Aspects: Herbalistic knowledge of brewing potions and decoctions, including most of those favored by witchers, and the foraging or growing of ingredients for such. Nonmagical and magical healing knowledge, including wound binding, bone setting, and and midwifery. Magical arts, including the signs used by witchers (aard, aaxi, igni, quen, and yrden). Extension of quen to some protection and regeneration of nearby allies, aard to controlled telekinetic manipulation of nearby objects and levitative flight of self and allies within arm’s length, and axii to telepathy. Manipulation of water, a good deal of healing magic, and some channeling of ice and electricity (but to a much lesser extent than the best battle-sorceresses). Remote communication, scrying, and teleportation in the style of other sorceresses. Has an attunement to the presence of nearby life forces and intuition of their health and need and healing. Is sometimes able to use axii to soothe beasts, intuit their instincts or emotional states, mollify their aggression, or guide them in useful ways such as coaxing a wild dog to sniff out a trail. Is not above using axii to try to charm or glean information from otherpeople, which can socially backfire when sensed by stronger-minded would-be targets. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:28:10 pm by ff »

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 05:54:37 pm »
Oops I just realized I missed the question about Iorveth, possibly. I'm still trying to decide on where to set the new Witcher school exactly if we're going that route. Iorveth would be fairly far south and likely in territory owned by Nilfgaard by this time. I'm not too sure on including canon characters but maybe I should just go with doing so since it might make things feel a bit more tied to the world.

And that is a really cool character FF definitely love her. ^_^

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 06:01:05 pm »
Oops I just realized I missed the question about Iorveth, possibly. I'm still trying to decide on where to set the new Witcher school exactly if we're going that route. Iorveth would be fairly far south and likely in territory owned by Nilfgaard by this time. I'm not too sure on including canon characters but maybe I should just go with doing so since it might make things feel a bit more tied to the world.

I only asked since he was cut from Witcher 3 and who knows what he could have been up to since then?

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 06:02:49 pm »
I'm still so sad he was cut. I really preferred Iorveth over Roche.

I wonder if I should maybe make an info dump for those who might be interested but don't know the Witcher universe as well or at all.

Online Lustful Bride

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 06:06:20 pm »
I'm still so sad he was cut. I really preferred Iorveth over Roche.

I wonder if I should maybe make an info dump for those who might be interested but don't know the Witcher universe as well or at all.

I say yes but not massive info dumps. Just small snippets that could work well to ease the characters in and give them reason to ask questions since there isn't any 24 hour news nd nformation is only as fast as a horse.

• Trans Human
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • She/Her
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 06:12:53 pm »
I just mean like things like listing races like Elves and such, describing what a Witcher is, how magic works, etc. For the thread so that people can have a better feel for the universe if they don't know it.

Offline ff

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:29 pm »

w00t thanks Tolvo; now other people need to post chars so she has friends to play with, ya hear that people!

re: general lore for players, prob a lot of stuff at the Witcher wiki http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_Wiki I suppose you could make an RP lore intro that mentions various things and links to some fo the subpages of the wiki

re: the New Witcher School or Adventuring Party Ideas: very tough choice. Maybe choose based on whether there are people who want to play as the witchers of that new school. The RP could begin there and set out on an Adventuring Party adventure from there. 

I do like the new witcher school idea cuz it's something more particular to the setting. Also in RPs it can be difficult to get a group of people to all 'move' together (the whole 'moving in a group' thing is something I've never figured out hwo to do with high speed or efficientcy in RPs, even trivial stuff like moving from one room to the next, so sometimes I'll device a semi-stationary premise like a party that gets crashed by baddies, or a ship the group are all sailing on).