Approval Process Disclaimer?

Started by Karma, January 21, 2009, 08:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been seeing a lot of arguments about the process itself. Should a disclaimer be added saying something akin to "Do not argue about the process" or so? Seems to me like it would save a lot of grief.

anon

- grins - I highly doubt that would stop anyone from doing so though...
Ons/Offs ~ Absences
Disclaimer (thanks Caeli xP): I am NOT a kitty...just...kitty-like.
"I never trust a sneaky pussy." - Paradox

Bliss

I don't think it's necessary; it's one of those things that, ultimately, fits under our big rule: Be Civil. If someone is making honest suggestions or queries, fine. Arguing? Hell, incivility, this is your tasty bancake.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

I think it's better if we don't put up a disclaimer; people who argue about the approval process are just proving to us that they wouldn't be a good fit for the site.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

sleepingferret

What's wrong with the silly questions and the simple obligatory "tell us more about yourself" questionnaire?

I honestly never thought it was something to fret over, I actually found it entertaining and it sort of lets people "find out" about the new guy or gal.  And really it turns into more of a friendly welcoming...a Q&A meet and greet if you will.

Caehlim

Back when I first applied they weren't optional, but I remember looking forward to the questions.

While I was waiting to gain access to the site it was good to have something to do and some people to talk to. We didn't have writing samples back then though, but that would have been fun too.

(Wow, there's something about a massive influx of new people that makes you feel like an old hat, even when you haven't been here that long yourself).
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Lilias

I dug up my intro thread for this, to look at it with fresh eyes. Goodness, it feels like forever, and it was only last August... but I digress.

The point is - I loved having people look in and ask me questions. Strangers who would bother to do that. Some have become pretty good friends since then. Sadly, I haven't written with any of them yet, but the point remains: I loved the attention. I'm rather withdrawn and I don't go out to get attention, but I revel in it when I do get it anyway.

It's a forum, so by definition public. I remember quailing when I first started writing, thinking 'I'm going to look like a fool in front of everyone', but this is the nature of the place. I find the influx of people who want to keep their stories private from the get-go disturbing. We're not the Yellow Pages of the roleplaying world.

Someone said recently in his intro that he found the process unnecessary but he understood it was there for a reason. I countered that if he understood there was a reason for it, then it could not be unnecessary. He never answered back. I have to go see what became of that one...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

*grins* I will NOT hijack my own thread by arguing the semantics of that! *slaps self* will NOT!

Paradox

Quote from: sleepingferret on January 22, 2009, 02:13:08 AM
What's wrong with the silly questions and the simple obligatory "tell us more about yourself" questionnaire?

I think it has something to do with the fact that some applicants aren't used to dealing with an adult community. Most RP sites don't have the sense of community that Elliquiy has; many of them also cater to a younger crowd. Also, some people may think this is just another site where they can log on, find a quick sexual chat, pound one out, and call it a night.

I could go on, but the point is that they probably just aren't accustomed to the depth and community found here; apparently, some people don't like it and would rather be left alone (I think one recently-denied applicant said something like "I don't know why I have to talk to all you people; my conversations should only be between me and my RP partner.")

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

Quote from: Paradox on January 22, 2009, 07:34:39 AM
I think it has something to do with the fact that some applicants aren't used to dealing with an adult community. Most RP sites don't have the sense of community that Elliquiy has; many of them also cater to a younger crowd. Also, some people may think this is just another site where they can log on, find a quick sexual chat, pound one out, and call it a night.

I can confirm this in part.  I bounced around a few RP sites before ending up here, and the 'application' process on every other site consisted of whether or not you could remember your email address enough to enter it and a password twice.  Judging by the number of one-post-wonders in the Held Introductions forum, I wouldn't be surprised if those people signed up expecting an automated form letter response.

That said, I enjoyed the questioning, especially the silly ones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenthorn

I like that Elliquiy has the approval process...it makes it more upstanding and dare I say...elite.

Kurzyk

Quote from: sleepingferret on January 22, 2009, 02:13:08 AM

I honestly never thought it was something to fret over, I actually found it entertaining and it sort of lets people "find out" about the new guy or gal.  And really it turns into more of a friendly welcoming...a Q&A meet and greet if you will.

We made the questions optional because there were an increasing number of applicants that were overwhelmed by the pages of questions that were being asked. There's a large community in E that is not social and purely enjoys the writing and/or system games. Coming on to a site where they have to answer sets of 5-10 questions per member was a bit daunting. :)

There were others though that really found them fun. It's also a nice way for the members to get to know applicants.

We try to ask the pertinent questions regarding social ethics, maturity, etc in the questionnaire and allow them the choice of whether they want to leave it at that, or open up to socializing with the other members with some silly questions, or provide a writing sample.

That way it simplifies things and allows for the applicant to feel more comfortable. If we need to we ask questions relating to their responses from the questionnaire for clarification but thats about it.

Oniya

Even so, that's a lot more than the average RP site asks.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that it's not a 'fill this out and you're guaranteed to get in' situation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kurzyk

Yes its definetly about striking a balance between making sure we find out what we need to know without being overly complicated either; all the while taking into account the immensity of Elliquiy's multifaceted community, mixed with making each applicant/new member feel as comfortable as possible.

I like it too. :)