News:

Main Menu

What's in your BOB?

Started by WindVoyager, March 15, 2018, 02:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindVoyager

I have always loved the wilderness and camping and I mean real camping, not crowed camp grounds that have everything. I've always had a BOB or an emergency bag and it served me well due to the floods and rainstorms that we had back home. Now, sadly, jsut about every one and their damn cousin has them but they are over filled with JUNK and most of it is over priced junk. And its over sized. A real BOB (bug out bag) shouldn't' be large. After all its only purpose is to get you from point a to point b as fast as possible and in order to that it needs to be light.

I don't have a BOB, my main pack is too large and heavy. Its more of an extended emergency bag. Its a US Army ACU Digital 3 Day Assault pack and the rucksask that it attaches to. Yes its heavy, the avg weight is 40 pounds fully loaded. But its not for short term, its for longer term. Its also not Grey Man friendly so I'm getting a pair of back pack covers to help tone them down a bit. I use the smaller pack as an EDC (every day carry) and in the event of things going south, I can attach it to the main pack and get the hell out of dodge.

I'd like to hear if anyone else are making a few preparations, how, and for what.

RedRose

Mmmm. I'd say closest I have, is the bag I pack when I travel in weird country or remote areas. Anti snake kit (never had to use that!!), antibiotics (some countries have it off the counter but you need to find a pharmacy...), anti emetic and all that jazz.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

RubySlippers

Antibiotics you can go online to get it, when I was uninsured I got mine from a California company and its bottled for fish use, Fish Mox Forte was Amoxicillin and you can buy this on Amazon its human pills but you use it by breaking one per certain amount of water just take it like a human pill. Or ask a doctor for a prescription I did noting during Hurricane Season when I lived in Florida I might not get to a hospital in a bad event so wanted some and got a higher tier antibiotic for a week, taking two a day. So just say its for a BOB and you want a week of a decent antibiotic in case of an infection and you can't get to a hospital.

But the fish use pills you can get 500mg pills and get a hundred it could be a better choice its not illegal to buy them that way no one checks but I'm not a doctor so you need to decide for yourself if for an emergency use these are okay, but they are often long lasting. And a doctor won't prescribe for on hand use much more than a couple days worth that might not be enough.

WindVoyager

A lot of people are getting those fish pills but there is a down side. They are antibiotics and a lot of people don't know the proper dosing, don't know the side effects and don't know what antibiotic will treat what. The armchair and wanna be prppers are buying them like crazy and I doubt they know how to use them or store them properly.

then again the arm chair preepers are buying a lot of things they dont know how to even use properly and the vast majority of them think when a disaster happens or SHTF happens, they will magically be able to run off some where and live happily and comfortably in the wilds.

Captain Maltese

I have a bug out bag. Its purpose is to give me an on-the-moment option to flee directly into nature should a disaster occur. And by nature I mean going where there are no paths or structures. This is neither my first or second choice for dealing with a serious emergency.

I consider volume, weight and usefulness. Price is also a factor so you don't find many brand name items in my kit. It must all find room in my backpack and I must be able to carry it for miles at a time.

Contents:
- bivouacking gear; sleeping bag, tarp, quality rope, emergency blanket, poncho
- food making gear; kettle set, camping stove, canteen, fire making gear etc
- food for a week at a minimum, which can be eaten unprepared or makes a lot of food when cooked
- axe, knife, flashlight
- navigational gear; map, compass, binoculars
- sizeable first aid set
- odds and end like rubber tape, small sewing kit, carbine hooks, water purification pills etc

I has a lot of other optional gear but stuff like guns, fishing gear and gas masks are unlikely to be a necessity - but it depends on the event.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories