You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 18, 2018, 04:18:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Pineapple on Pizza?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline TerribleTiraTopic starter

Pineapple on Pizza?
« on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:05 AM »
Yay, or nay?

Personally, i think it's ok with certain pairings of toppings. I find it goes good with ham. A ham and pineapple pizza. With other pizza things, not so much. I would even go so far as to omit the pepperoni.

Offline Callie Del Noire

Re: Pineapple on Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »
On occasion.

Depending on the franchise with the regatta sauce, I’ve had with ham and stuff like feta or hot sauce but you have to have something that compliments the taste like the right beer or drink

Offline Deamonbane

• “If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Oh, I don't get angry. I have people for that.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
Agreed. Depends on what it's paired with. I take after Wade Wilson in such matters:

Offline RedRose

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
It's called Hawaiian in my country, but I have no idea where it comes from. It's not BAD, but yeah.

Offline DominantPoet

• Winter Prince, Emperor Goofball
  • Suspended
  • Enchanter
  • Who's to say that love needs to be soft and gentle
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
I'm one of those people who is strongly on the nay side of this *laughs* Some things just aren't meant to be on other things. Like ketchup on kraft dinner. Or BBQ sauce on ice cream.

Offline PrestaDGTation

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
  I LOVE pineapple on pizza!  A delicious mix!

Hawaiian Pizza is actually a Canadian invention, from what I've read. More to do with the travel-based PR at the time than any actual care for the culture. If you want to be authentic to Hawaii, I've heard putting kimchi on your pizza is closer to the mark.

Personally, I like it this way. The mix of fruit and meat is somehow ideal!

Offline Oniya

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »
I'm one of those people who is strongly on the nay side of this *laughs* Some things just aren't meant to be on other things. Like ketchup on kraft dinner. Or BBQ sauce on ice cream.

Tomato sauce, kraft dinner, and some ground beef, and you've got a good start on hamburger helper...

Offline Ziether

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »
Pineapple makes it watery all too often. Drain it well, maybe. I'm just dubious, and there are so many superior toppings.

Like beef stroganoff.

Offline DominantPoet

• Winter Prince, Emperor Goofball
  • Suspended
  • Enchanter
  • Who's to say that love needs to be soft and gentle
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »
Tomato sauce, kraft dinner, and some ground beef, and you've got a good start on hamburger helper...

If I pass out from feeling nauseous, I'm blaming you :P  ;D

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
Second best topping on pizza next to the superior choice of kebab pizza. Hawaiian pizza is a close second though if the pinapple isn't too water. Hate when it is fresh out of the can (lets face it its rarely fresh) and all watery making the pizza soggy, but otherwise.. fucking hell yes! Give me that pineapple pizza anyday!!

Offline Eye of Horus

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
Ziether and Sara have hit the nail on the head with it sometimes making the pizza soggy...or of course it can go the other way and the pineapple chunks get dried out, which is just as unappetising.

I’ve had Hawaiian pizzas a few times but I usually picked the pineapples off and ate them separately, so I don’t know if that counts as liking it or not!

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
damn, I wish my serious threads would get this many responses so quickly. LOL

Btw, whats a craft dinner? Is that like those instant macaroni things? Those are gross no matter what context you put it in, much less on pizza.

I've really only had pineapple pizza on a thin crust at a buffet. Yes... for those who don't know, pizza actually comes buffet. I'm a fat ass, don't judge.

But yeah, the pizza isn't soggy at all... if anything its usually a little dry. If memory serves, they do it up with bacon sprinkles. That's pretty damn good, too!

God, I HATE those t-shirts, btw. The overly ornate, tribal-esque douchebag attire. hahaha Betcha he drives a late-model mustang. XD

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
damn, I wish my serious threads would get this many responses so quickly. LOL

We feel strongly about pineapple and pizza!

Offline Wyldeviolet

• Lady
  • Bacchae
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 11:33:42 PM »
I love me some pineapple on pizza ROFL. Never actually had an issue with it making the pizza soggy? Maybe it's just where I'm from and how they prepare it...

Offline Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Shamaniac ~ Melinoë ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 05:30:22 AM »
Ham and pineapple go very well together. (It's no coincidence that, if you order a gammon steak, you can choose to have it topped with a fried egg or a grilled pineapple slice - at least in the UK.) I just don't care for them on pizza. Both are much more satisfying cold.

For the record, I don't believe there is such a thing as a 'wrong pizza topping combination'. I'm a total anarchist when it comes to pizza and sandwiches. Combine whatever the hell you like.

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
Ham and pineapple go very well together. (It's no coincidence that, if you order a gammon steak, you can choose to have it topped with a fried egg or a grilled pineapple slice - at least in the UK.) I just don't care for them on pizza. Both are much more satisfying cold.

For the record, I don't believe there is such a thing as a 'wrong pizza topping combination'. I'm a total anarchist when it comes to pizza and sandwiches. Combine whatever the hell you like.

I put a fried egg on top of my pancakes

Offline Deamonbane

• “If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
I seen some chefs that I've worked with put baked polenta on an open-faced sandwich for a vegan option. It was pretty good.

Never tired egg on pancakes though.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »
What's polenta? I know a vegan or two, but I don't think I've ever heard of this. Also, on a side note... there is sucha thing as vegan pizza. The "cheese" doesn't smell or taste very good, imo

Offline Oniya

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
What's polenta? I know a vegan or two, but I don't think I've ever heard of this. Also, on a side note... there is sucha thing as vegan pizza. The "cheese" doesn't smell or taste very good, imo

Polenta is cornmeal mush, generally fried until crispy on the outside, but the inside is still sort of 'melt-in-your-mouth'.  It's particularly good with maple syrup.  (And bacon - although that's not very vegan.)

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they make vegan bacon, already. LOL

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they make vegan bacon, already. LOL

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/vegan-bacon-148899

Its not bad honestly

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 02:37:51 PM »
that actually doesn't look bad. I have cooked with tofu before and kinda like it. I fry the crap out of it though, so it might circumvent the whole health aspect.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
There are vegan bacon bits - I don't find that they work well on anything but salads.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »
Pineapple on pizza is heresy. I claim my Italian ancestry as authoritative proof that I am right.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
Pineapple on pizza is heresy. I claim my Italian ancestry as authoritative proof that I am right.

And what is wrong with heresy?!

naughty

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »
And what is wrong with heresy?!

naughty

EVERYTHING.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Offline Adrasteia

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
It's an abomination unto Nuggan.

But I don't really like pineapple anyway, which I suspect is more the issue. Sugary things on pizza are fine within reason (red onion marmalade as an example), but I'm not really convinced tropical fruit is the answer to that particular question.

Offline Deamonbane

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
In all fairness, Pizza has changed one hell of a lot since Italy. Say from something like this:

To everything else that looks nothing like that. Personal favorite is:

Chicago Deep Dish.... *dies*

Offline Oniya

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
In all fairness, Pizza has changed one hell of a lot since Italy. Say from something like this:

Back in college, we had a 'Professor Emeritus' (or basically, 'Teacher who can teach whatever he wants to') who did a number of off-beat classes at 8:30 AM (because that way, he knew that only people really interested would sign up).  One of those was 'History of Ancient Greece and Rome', and for one of the classes, we had authentic Roman-style pizza.  No tomatoes (New World, and also believed poisonous), not a whole lot of cheese (goat cheese would have been most likely) - and the one topping that I can safely say I will never consider putting on a pizza ever again. 

Yes, I have actually had a pizza with anchovies.

Luckily, there were other topping combinations available.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
It's an abomination unto Nuggan.

But I don't really like pineapple anyway, which I suspect is more the issue. Sugary things on pizza are fine within reason (red onion marmalade as an example), but I'm not really convinced tropical fruit is the answer to that particular question.

Nuggan?

Offline AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Writer of Things ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
I'm of the opinion that pineapple on pizza is an abomination :P but I have eaten it before. In situations where it's what there is to eat, I tend to pick off the pineapple. It's really not my favourite thing (although I like pineapple as a fruit).

Offline AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Writer of Things ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
I just noticed Adrasteia said abomination as well. :) It must be true.

To everything else that looks nothing like that. Personal favorite is:

Chicago Deep Dish.... *dies*

Generally I'd see there as being two types. There's Italian pizza and American-style pizza. They're like two completely different things but both great in their own ways.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »
I've never had authentic italian style pizza. :(

Offline Aiden

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »

Offline Deamonbane

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »

Offline CriminalMindsFan

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
I like it. I'm bothered when people say cheese is their favorite topping because I don't view cheese or sauce as a topping. Those two items aren't optional to me on a pizza.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 06:40:45 PM »
I like it. I'm bothered when people say cheese is their favorite topping because I don't view cheese or sauce as a topping. Those two items aren't optional to me on a pizza.

I actually had a friend who would order 'veggie lover' pizza without cheese.  I forget if he was lactose-intolerant, or vegan, but the local pizza place would do it right up for him.

Offline Deamonbane

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »
There is the four cheese topping, which is rather good, I think.

Offline RedRose

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 05:23:30 AM »

I dated an Italian, he said the same BUT he did think it tasted good lol.
And yes, traditional pizza is very different from American.

FTR there def is non-pork bacon, and non-meat bacon.

Offline Shores

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »
Pineapple on Pizza here is like... the cheese pizza of America. Hawaiian pizza (tomato sauce, cheese, ham, and pineapple) is something you order as the safe option at parties. Everyone eats it, including kids. I think it's because our culture uses pineapple in a lot of cuisine, including soups, curries, fried rice, and even bbq!

Imagine my surprise and amusement when the debate about pineapple on pizza started.

Offline RedRose

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
Crusty cheese is nice, unOrthodox for Italians but nice ;)

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »
You people are monsters.  The only fruit that belongs on pizza is pepperoni.

Offline Rp girl

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 02:27:22 AM »
I am personally a fan of pinapple on pizza but only one way!

Ham
Cheese
Peperoni/salami if Im out
And pinapple
Maybe some parcely or italian herds if I want some extra stuff.

And not in execces of use. (Late to the party sorry)

Offline Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 04:43:09 AM »
You people are monsters.  The only fruit that belongs on pizza is pepperoni.
If you count pepperoni as fruit I would also include onions and bell peppers as "fruit", and those are just fine on a pizza.

But no pineapple for me, thank you very much. On that I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline Deante

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 04:33:16 PM »
1) I don't care what people eat as long as I don't have to eat it. Nothing is a food crime. Gross certainly, but food is one of the most "victimless crimes" ever, so there's no need to be so fuedy over it. For similar reason, I don't care what "real x" food is. Is it tasty? Then I'mma eat it.

2) Hawaiian is like, my favorite pizza. :D

Offline TheHighwayHitman

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
Yes!

Bell peppers, Pineapple, and ground beef on one, red peppers, chicken, and onions on the other. They are both thin crust with Alfredo sauce!

Offline LostInTheMist

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 02:00:53 AM »
I love anchovies on pizza. But not on a pizza with pineapples. As a kid, my favorite kind of Pizza was Hawaiian with pineapple and canadian bacon.

My tastes have... kind of... evolved since then.

I still can't resist "Macaroni and Cheese" pizza at my local parlor though. (Yes, it's Macaroni and cheese on top of a pizza. Don't judge me.)

My usual preference though is vegetarian with lots of artichoke hearts and olives and sun-dried tomatoes. But I will still eat and enjoy Hawaiian. Or really, let's be honest, anything so long as there's not too much tomato sauce. I love sun dried tomatoes or fresh tomatoes on my pizza. But tomato sauce, IMO, sucks. So it's gotta be either low sauce, or something else entirely.

My current ideal pizza without modifications is Papa Murphy's Gourmet Vegetarian with Olive Oil and garlic "sauce".

Unless you count the $50.00+ pizzas at some of the crazy-ass places. But I can get my Papa Murphy's Pizza for under $15.00. And it's at least 90% as good.

Offline CriminalMindsFan

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
Recently someone told me they don't like the red sauce on pizza and prefer getting white sauce or no sauce on pizza.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
I mean, change-ups from the usual can be tasty.  I remember a Thai Chicken pizza from CPK that was amazing, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a tomato harmed in the process.

*checks*

Quote from: From their menu
Grilled chicken breast with peanut sauce and Mozzarella, hearth-baked then topped with crisp bean sprouts, julienned carrots, slivered scallions and fresh cilantro.

Offline Prosak

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
Pineapple, Jalapeno, ham: With these three elements combined your pizza loving experiance will be forever changed by it's beauty.

Offline shanthipriya

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 12:44:56 AM »
Being a hardcore Vegetarian, I must confess how much I started to love this combination. Back at my place (India), I didn't had a chance to try this combo. Loved it the very first time I tried.

P. S: yes, I am still a spicy food lover

Offline Mathim

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2018, 07:21:01 PM »
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet!

I never used to like pineapple on pizza, it just seemed conceptually untenable. But as I sampled pizza buffets which I never knew existed until I moved to Sacramento, and they put out more and more combinations, I started trying ones that had pineapple with various other topping combinations and some of them weren't half-bad. In particular, I discovered, were the ones with the garlic white sauce rather than red marinara, and I finally got it down to a science where it became one of my favorite combinations. You get pineapple, garlic sauce, and one or two greasy meats, and sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes to taste, and it's simply the best. That sweetness with the salty tang of the garlic sauce and meats, it's just amazing.

Offline Regina Minx

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
I think we need to revisit this question, since a large number of pineapple shipments also include cocaine.

If cocaine is used as a flavoring/preservative of pineapple, I for one think that it does belong on pizza.  ;D

Offline RedRose

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
I think we need to revisit this question, since a large number of pineapple shipments also include cocaine.

If cocaine is used as a flavoring/preservative of pineapple, I for one think that it does belong on pizza.  ;D

WOW! I tried to access and got this

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact wdelnews@wdel.com or call (302)478-2700.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
This link might work better for you.  It's a BBC story about a similar bust - which was actually more creative.  The Delaware news story had the kilos hidden in the wooden pallets.  The Portugal bust had them camouflaged a bit better.

(WDEL is a local news station, which might explain the link issue.)

Offline TheHangedMan

• Sidhe. Hollowborn Vessel. Deadly Grin. Mildly Malkavian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
I say no to pineapple in general; pizza especially, though. I don't like mixing salty and sweet things, period. If you made some sort of post-postmodernist fruit compote pizza, though, I suppose pineapple would make for a good topping.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »
I say no to pineapple in general; pizza especially, though. I don't like mixing salty and sweet things, period. If you made some sort of post-postmodernist fruit compote pizza, though, I suppose pineapple would make for a good topping.

A place near us does a pizza buffet, including 'dessert pizzas' (which are basically a sweet dough with toppings).  One is an apple pie variety, but I could see doing something with crushed pineapple.

Offline Deamonbane

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
A place near us does a pizza buffet, including 'dessert pizzas' (which are basically a sweet dough with toppings).  One is an apple pie variety, but I could see doing something with crushed pineapple.
Brazilians really like those. Chocolate pizzas, banana and cinnamon pizzas, condensed milk pizzas and... yes, Pineapple pizzas.

Offline TheHangedMan

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
Brazilians really like those. Chocolate pizzas, banana and cinnamon pizzas, condensed milk pizzas and... yes, Pineapple pizzas.
A sweetened dough, as one might use in pastry, with a cooked sweetened condensed milk (basically caramel) sauce, with some various fruit slices as the topping would probably be amazing. Not something I could reasonably eat, though; I'm imagining the carbs in the hundreds for just a slice.

Offline TheHangedMan

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
And since I can't edit.. forgot to mention using the chocolate--milk chocolate, perhaps?--as the sort of 'cheese' equivalent, just shred the chocolate real fine, and sprinkle on top of it all.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »
And since I can't edit.. forgot to mention using the chocolate--milk chocolate, perhaps?--as the sort of 'cheese' equivalent, just shred the chocolate real fine, and sprinkle on top of it all.

Now you're just teasing.  :P  ;D

And yes, they are just as carb-heavy as you imagine.  The place cuts them in very narrow slices.

Offline Ket

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2018, 05:59:53 PM »
You mean something like this?  Also, fruit carbs are not equivalent to dough carbs. It's a totally different type of sugar and way it is processed by your body.

Offline TheHangedMan

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
You mean something like this?  Also, fruit carbs are not equivalent to dough carbs. It's a totally different type of sugar and way it is processed by your body.

That is--wait for it--literally what I was picturing in my mind (except pineapple instead of kiwi, since we were talking pineapple). Also, yes, very good bringing up the glycemic index. As a type 1 brittle diabetic, I actually find that fruits, especially fruit juices, are bad for me due to their high glycemic index (the body processes it very quickly, and it's hard to balance the insulin intake timing with the way the body processes that sugar). I mean, in theory, I could get the timing and the ratios down right... and fruit juice is excellent for counter-acting a low. But something like complex carbs from whole grain doughs takes a much longer time for the body to break down.

Offline Ket

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »
Fruit juice often has added sugar, which is why it is so horrible. Berries, pineapple, and grapes typically have the highest amounts of sugar in them, while less sweet/more tart fruits have lower amounts. I'm a LADA diabetic, and fruits are one of the things that actually barely touch my blood sugar levels. Any sort of bread-type dough or potato product and my levels are pushing the accelerator as if they're trying to win the Indy 500. Yet I can eat a ton of pineapple or grapes and barely register an increase. But you won't find me drinking fruit juice unless it's no sugar added.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »

The one I've seen doesn't look nearly that healthy.  Streusel topping is involved.

Offline Ket

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »
I've always seen them on some sort of pastry dough or sugar cookie base (though honestly, you could put them on pizza dough just fine), with a cream cheese sauce and a myriad of soft fruits on top.