Wrath of the Dragonkin

Started by Lady Jenn, February 03, 2018, 05:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

Vennar was a tall, raven-haired, middle-aged blacksmith who stood over an anvil, beating his newest sword into shape, occasionally looking over his shoulder towards the doorway to his forge. His friends had yet to arrive, and after what had happened to his brother he feared for them being out alone in the city.

He picked up the sword, giving it a few practice swings and smiling as he saw that it was perfect as usual. This one was intended for a special use however, one he had long expected to come but had still dreaded. He walked over to where a small painting of a beautiful young woman hung, kneeling down in front of it and closing his eyes for a moment, before looking up at the image.

"I am sorry Ainur," he said quietly. "I have failed you. I promised I would stay out of the wars that scarred this world, but now I fear I have no choice in the matter, I see no other option anymore."

Orenji

"Don't get all sentimental on me now Vennar, keep talking like that and you'll be the first of us to kick the bucket."

A teasing remark comes from what was the empty doorway as a thin, robed figure now stands there. An unfamiliar face greets Vennar but doesn't surprise him as Cefrey walks towards the center of the room and into the light, revealing the face of a young, blonde haired human man, just another one of her various identities for living within this city.

"I take it that I'm the first one here?"

Lady Jenn

"First?" he asked, wincing as he stood up again, his knee aching intensely. "I'm worried you might be the only one, and I'm not even convinced I-" he stopped speaking as a loud knocking came from the door. "Wait here," he said, taking the hammer from its hook and approaching the door. He breathed a sigh as he opened the door however, as an old lady stepped through the doorway. "Carolina, I thought you were a guard for a moment, I could've taken your head off."

"Good luck with that old man," she said, laughing. She walked over to Cefrey and offered her hand. "Carolina, city historian and possibly the least remembered occupant of this place." She turned to Vennar. "You did tell her the bad news didn't you Vennar? She sighed as she saw the look on the smith's face. "There is no-one else coming, our other options are either dead, captured or too scared to try fleeing the city. And while he's afraid to admit it...Vennar is not fit enough to travel beyond the forest, nevermind the Blight."

Orenji

Cefrey is silent for a moment. "...I see... Well, no use crying over spilt milk. I'm ready to leave right now, and given our current state, I'd rather not risk staying in this city much longer, it's honestly kinda suffocating..."

Snapping out of her own thoughts, Cefrey turns to Carolina and smiles, "Sorry, I don't think I properly introduced myself, the name's Cefrey Orien, but you must've heard that from Ven here, seeing as how you knew I was a 'she....'" Cefrey polymorphs into the human form she grew up as, her hair turning reddish brown and growing out to medium length, eyes shifting to a deep green, and her features softening to those of a young woman. "But please don't blow my cover like that in public, even the dullest guard would suspect something if they heard a slip of the tongue like that."

Lady Jenn

"How do we get her out of the city?" Vennar asked, looking concerned. "The streets are crawling with guards, they see anything suspicious she won't stand a chance."

"You think I would come that unprepared?" Carolina asked, chuckling, before turning to Cefrey. "My cart is waiting outside, get under the cover on the back, I'll be out soon but I need to have a word with Vennar before we leave."

Orenji

Alert from the unusual request for privacy, Cefrey masks her wariness without missing a beat. "Go on ahead Ven, we'll catch up to you in a bit." She immediately forms a telepathic link with Vennar, secretly telling him, "I'll keep the link open, so let me know if anything happens out there. Be careful."

Orenji

Sorry about misreading the last post, I can't edit this, but know that I'm redacting this post.
Quote from: Orenji on February 04, 2018, 10:58:52 AM
Alert from the unusual request for privacy, Cefrey masks her wariness without missing a beat. "Go on ahead Ven, we'll catch up to you in a bit." She immediately forms a telepathic link with Vennar, secretly telling him, "I'll keep the link open, so let me know if anything happens out there. Be careful."

"Is there really a need for that anymore? Can't I just put on a new face and sit in the front with you?" Cefrey asks Carolina quizzically, "I have plenty of identities that they haven't caught onto yet and the papers to go with them."

Lady Jenn

"Trust me," Carolina said. "The back of the cart is safer, I'll fill you in on the plan when I come out, but...what I need to speak to Vennar about is...for his ears only I'm afraid."

Orenji

"...Alright, I won't pry." Polymorphing back into the blond haired man she came in as, Cefrey makes her way out of the smithy and cautiously exits out onto the street, inconspicuously scanning the area for the cart and any guards or otherwise suspicious people.

Lady Jenn

After a few moments Carolina stepped out, closing the door behind her and jumping onto the front of the cart.

"That cloth is laced with an invisibility charm," she said quietly enough that Cefrey would be the only one who could hear her. "As long as you don't make too much noise the guards shouldn't notice anything. I'll let you know when it's safe to get out." She set off towards the gates, whistling a tune, and made easy progress until they reached the gate, where two guards blocked their path. "Captain, is there a problem?" Carolina asked.

"Apologies ma'am," one of the guards replied. "But we have orders from the king." He signalled the other soldier, who walked around the cart and seemed to pause close to where Cefrey was hidden, before walking back, shaking his head. "I appreciate your patience Carolina, you may go on your way now."

"I hope we'll see each other again soon," she said, bowing as the gate opened before riding through it. She drove north, not stopping until they reached a forest whose interior was so dark they could not see beyond the third line of trees, coming to a stop on its border. She turned to face the back of the cart. "Cefrey, it is time to reveal what our plan is," she said. "Plus, I have a couple of gifts to help you with your quest."

Orenji

After climbing out of the cart, Cefrey stretches her body and replies with a salty tone, "It's about time, I really don't like being kept in the dark like this you know..."

Lady Jenn

"Vennar and I were worried you would never agree to the plan," Carolina said. "The days I could travel north with you are long gone, you will have to travel alone...for now at least. However, I have these for you." She reached into the back of the cart and bringing out a necklace at the end of which was a red gem. "A Dragonsblood gem, one of only six in the world. Not only will this glow when a dragon is near, but it will translate dragon speak for you and vice versa." She hung it around Cefrey's neck before returning to the cart, and taking out a massive sheath, pulling out a sword which seemed to be covered in glowing runes. "The Dawnhammer Blade, forged for an alliance of men and elves centuries ago," she said, sheathing the sword again. "Not only are their few equals to this blade in combat, but there are many who will come to your aid simply because it is in your possession." She handed her the blade, giving her a sad smile. "The first thing you must do is cross the forest, stick to the paths, particularly at night there are creatures in this forest you do not wish to cross paths with." She clambered back onto the cart. "If you meet any of the Elven rangers that guard this forest, tell them Carolina sent you, they will be more likely to protect you."

Orenji

After fastening the sword by its sheath to the backside of her waist, hidden under her robes, she turns towards Carolina and says, "Got it... Then I guess this is goodbye, huh? It may take a while, but the next time we see each other, I'll be sure to bring you good news, so stay safe until then."

With a reassuring grin, Cefrey extends her hand for one last handshake before they part.

Lady Jenn

"Be careful," Carolina said as she took up the reins of the cart. "The Forest of Shadows earnt it's name a long time ago, it will swallow you whole if you are not careful." With that she set off back towards the city, vanishing into the darkness.

Somewhere under the forest eaves Cefrey was being watched by a figure, draped in a green cloak, stood so flat against the tree that even the sword at the figure's belt was barely visible. It wasn't yet clear whether this figure was friend or foe however.

Orenji

Channeling her psionic energy, she casts the Darkvision spell on herself, doing so without any incantation, gesture, material component, or even an arcane focus, a feat that would make any wizard rip their hair out with envy. Despite it being midday, the forest's lush canopy blocks almost all of the sunlight pouring in from overhead, hungrily consuming every drop of light it can reach, but the few trickles of light coming through are now enough to see clear as day thanks to the transmutation spell she cast on herself, and it should stay that way until nighttime when she'll have to cast it again.

Before making her way down the road Carolina rode in from, Cefrey takes a quick glance around herself, acting casually but cautiously scanning the area to make sure no one followed them.

Lady Jenn

The figure was watching her, a green fletched arrow knocked to its bow. But she wasn't the target, instead the figure was watching a shadowy wolf prowling towards her through the undergrowth. The wolf jumped into the air, but never reached Cefrey, its body hitting the path with the arrow through its neck.

"Who dares trespass on the sacred forest of Kaer'theon?" the figure asked, a second arrow on the bowstring, this time pointed at Cefrey. "And no tricks, your magic won't protect you from me."

Orenji

Strange, I've never heard of a spell that can detect my inherent changeling nature, it's not really magical... Unless they've already seen my true form with truesight! Shit! If they can cast True Seeing or even worse, they have an ally who can, then they're dangerous.

Concentrating on her Mastery of Air, Cefrey seizes control of the air around her to form a protective veil of wind, an additional layer of magical protection to the nearly invisible inertial armor she always maintains with her Mastery of Force. Even if it's just a subtle psionic effect, she maintains her psychic focus on her Mantle of Awe, hoping it'll make her even just a little more likable.

Turning to look at the figure, she cautiously asks, "...Who's asking?"

Lady Jenn

"One of its protectors," the figure replied, firing an arrow which barely missed her. "If you have nothing to hide, wh-" the sentence stopped as the figure caught sight of the sword at Cefrey's belt. "It...it can't be..." the archer whispered. The figure lowered its bow, stepping out from behind the tree and onto the path. They were taller than Vennar, wrapped in a long green cloak, beneath which could be glimpsed a brown tunic and a pair of leather gauntlets, which reached up to remove the hood, revealing an almost ethereal looking face, long silver hair flowing down the female elf's back, a pair of intense blue eyes staring at Cefrey. "That sword, where did you get it from?"

Orenji

"...A friend by the name Carolina, you could say she sent me here..." She stares daggers at the woman, clearly upset about being shot at, even if it was just a warning shot.

Lady Jenn

"Carolina..." Ariadne said, before letting out a soft laugh. "There is a name I have not heard in far too long." She curtseyed as effectively as she could in the long cloak. "My name is Ariadne, I believe I am the Ranger she hoped you would meet here, we go back a long way." She walked over to the tree, pulling it out effortlessly, before going over to the wolf and kneeling next to it. She said a silent prayer before pulling the arrow out and returning it to its sheath. "Humans do not normally visit this forest, Carolina is well aware of that, what possible reason could she have for sending you through here?"

Orenji

Dropping her concentration on the her cloak of air, the Ring of Magic Retention on her right ring finger absorbs the remaining psionic magic for later use. Although it can only retain one kind of magic at a time, this ring took a small fortune to produce, nearly all the money she earned brewing countless healing potions, but it was worth every copper piece to be able to conserve every drop of psionic energy in her limited reserves.

She ruffles the short, blonde hair of her current male form and sighs to herself before answering, "Look, I'm just passing through. She's the one who dropped me here without a word about not being allowed here, so if I offended you I apologize, but you're going to have to take it up with her. I've got to get to the Dragonblight Kingdom as soon as possible, so you're either going to have to guide me out of here to a path I can take safely and without offending anyone else, or you're just going to have to let me pass."

Lady Jenn

"We are told to..." she started saying before the words died on her lips at the sound of howling in the distance. "If you want to reach the dragons alive you would be ill-advised to try travelling this night, I should have known the wolves would be hunting in a pack." She seemed to ponder the options for a moment, before grabbing Cefrey's hand. "Don't let go, it is not safe for you to walk this forest alone." She dived into the underbrush, dodging between trees until she reached a small clearing. There was evidence of a small camp, with a hammock hanging between two trees, and a fire pit at its centre. She took a couple of breaths after letting go of Cefrey's hand, before setting to work forming a magical barrier around its border. "If we are going to spend time together I would prefer your natural appearance," she said, before saying less quietly than she assumed she had: "I shouldn't be falling for human females again, it never ends well."

Orenji

"Then it's a good thing I'm not human..." Polymorphing once more, Cefrey's figure turns feminine, her skin turns a pale white, her hair grows out to a medium length and shifts to a light silver color, and her eyes turn completely white, with no pupils, and surrounded by thick, black rings. The lack of details and distinctive features is honestly a bit disconcerting.

"I don't mind showing you this side of me since you've already figured it out, but even if it doesn't get me killed on site, I'd rather not draw attention to myself keeping this up..."

(Keep in mind I built this character using D&D Unearthed Arcana for 5e, but with some tweaks to the Mystic class, since it's not really built that well. Cefrey's true appearance is based off of the changeling race, which explicitly not human and who's polymorphing abilities aren't really magical, so it's very hard to detect. I honestly wasn't expecting every character I've met so far to see through it...)

Lady Jenn

(Sorry, everyone but Ariadne that's just bad writing on my part, she has reasons of her own lol)

"I would...prefer you like that when you can though," Ariadne said, blushing as she turned around having finished the barrier. "A beauty like you shouldn't be hidden behind spells." She felt a wave of embarrassment. "An elf like me shouldn't have feelings for you. Saying that, an elf like me shouldn't be doing a LOT of things I am," she said, discarding the cloak and quiver to reveal her tunic had daggers scattered among its pockets. "That blade you carry...my full name is Ariadne Dawnhammer, that blade was forged for my grandfather by blacksmiths the likes of which you will no longer find this side of the Great Sea."

Orenji

(NP, I just don't want it happening for the rest of the story lol, just try to keep in mind the form Cefrey is currently in, I'll try to repeat it so you don't have to wade through countless posts to find the last form she took.)

Smiling subtly at the compliment, Cefrey replies, "Then maybe you can tell me something about this thing. All I've heard is that it's something everyone around me will recognize, but no one seems to want to tell me what they'll recognize it for, or anything it's capable of either."