You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 12:26:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Swordsman (or swordsperson if you wish)  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Vandren

Re: Swordsman (or swordsperson if you wish)
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
Pretty much.  As is true with nearly any set of directions for things we do often enough that they become virtually automatic.  :)

Offline dready

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
Indeed, but tis also automatic as well if your subconcious picks up on things that you don't realize. Though i'm not a swordsman myself (irl i play belegarth with a two handed club) but yet i use it as if it was a katana whilst trained via the crab, scorpion, and crane styles rather mixed together... is it strange to know how to do such a combination without knowing about it until after i was asked what sort of style i use?

Offline Vandren

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
Indeed, but tis also automatic as well if your subconcious picks up on things that you don't realize. Though i'm not a swordsman myself (irl i play belegarth with a two handed club) but yet i use it as if it was a katana whilst trained via the crab, scorpion, and crane styles rather mixed together... is it strange to know how to do such a combination without knowing about it until after i was asked what sort of style i use?

Sorry, I'd reply, but I'm having trouble making sense of the statement and question.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:38:58 PM by Vandren »

Offline dready

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »
Sorry, I'd reply, but I'm having trouble making sense of the statement and question.
is it strange to have a muscle memory to something you have never done, seen, or known of before?

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »
I don't believe that actually falls under muscle memory, unless your muscles are doing some odd astral travel trick without you.

In which case, kick them.

Offline Vandren

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
is it strange to have a muscle memory to something you have never done, seen, or known of before?

Yep, that wouldn't be muscle memory.  Don't really see the relevance in the context of the original post/point, though.

Offline dready

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
well whatever it is, my body knows exactly how to use a two (or one and a half) handed weapon without any previous training or knowledge other than the basic slash, stab, and chopping actions.

Offline Vandren

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »
There's formal (classroom, dojo, whatever) and informal training (self-teaching, film, whatever).  There's also natural talent.  :)

Offline Mnemaxa

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »

It's natural talent.  I have similar things go on when I practice kung-fu, particularly Chin-na grappling techniques.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
well whatever it is, my body knows exactly how to use a two (or one and a half) handed weapon without any previous training or knowledge other than the basic slash, stab, and chopping actions.
No, it's not that weird. It just comes more naturally to some people - others would have a harder time with it, but would have less trouble with one-handed weapons.
I believe it has more to do with less tangible factors like psychic, a preferred way to move, or even your clothing - many of them being often underestimated or not considered at all.

Wakizashi is typically worn beside/over the katana.  At least in every drawing/painting I've ever seen from classical Japan.  Both go edge up ("blade up" is physically impossible, if the sword is to stay in the scabbard), because it is easier to draw the sword in a fluid manner thanks to the curve--to draw and cut in one motion--as the scabbard is basically tucked into the belt, rather than hanging from the belt in the Western style.
Yeah, I was looking for "edge up", but didn't remember the idiom. Sorry for that, sometimes my limited mastery of English leads to such blunders.
For the record, I have been shown the turning of the scabbard that Oniya described - I don't know how "historical" it is, but it looks a good way to draw the blade fast.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:26:06 AM by Thufir Hawat »

Offline Mnemaxa

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
The turning of the scabbard is actually a necessity in iado.  Katanas used properly in iado require a draw-cut, rather than the hacking motion most people think they use; turning the scabbard allows you to direct an immediate draw cut towards someone without the added trouble of drawing the blade entirely from the scabbard and THEN attacking. 

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »
Is now way off-topic and probably time to create another thread to discuss sword-ness elsewhere...