You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 22, 2018, 10:33:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Is Elliquy Cheating?  (Read 958 times)

Online AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Writer of Things ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Curled up with a notebook in a quiet forest, writing.
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Is Elliquy Cheating?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
I think cheating requires deceit, so if everyone's okay with a roleplay then it isn't cheating regardless of the way it's perceived by those involved.

There can be differing degrees of space between someone and the person they're roleplaying with. If someone's writing a story in third-person, where they're playing a character and their writing partner is, then I would see the space as greater than if they're writing first person as themselves.

If you play a character who kills another character in a story, it doesn't make you a murderer. In the same way, writing a scene where your character is involved with another in a story doesn't make you and the person you write with lovers. It makes you writing partners.

I think if it broke the rules of a relationship set by the people involved, then it would be cheating in a way, because it would be deceitful. However, I don't see erotic roleplaying as cheating of its own accord. The main factor is whether someone's partner/s would have a problem with it, or they themselves would.

At the same time, a whole lot of intimacy is emotional (and keeping certain behaviours or sides of ourselves to partner/s) and I think that's why some people would have a problem with erotic roleplaying. It all comes down to what is or isn't okay in a specific relationship though, IMO. :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:32:47 PM by AmberStarfire »

Online Wistful Dream

• ✧ ~ ✦ ~ Bright Star ~ ✦ ~ ✧ ☾ A Dragon's Mariposa ☽ ~ * ~ An Imp's Vixen ~ * ~ Kei's Sunbeam ~ * ~ A Huntsman's Snow White
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Forever can spare a minute.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »
Cheating - whether it's in a relationship or in Monopoly - is breaking the rules.  And just like in Monopoly, it's possible to have house rules that no one else uses.  The important thing is to make sure everyone involved knows what the rules are.

As for me?  I'm writing characters.  I am not my characters just like Stephen King is not a 14-year-old pyrokinetic.

Oniya... you are freaking brilliant.

But very much in echoing what she said - it depends on what the rules are in the relationship. I met my Mister on here actually and we are both active writers so we sometimes chat about our stories, just sharing ideas and our excitement. I'm not sure how I would handle a partner who didn't know what to make of the hobby, but I'm also very much here to write characters/stories, that are not me.

Offline Fury Aphrodisia

• Story Slut, Character Queen
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Needs new inspiration for motivation fuel.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 01:55:22 AM »
Well, this is kinda slippery-slope.

My take? It's a story. A story meant to portray an aspect of life. Is writing this any more cheating than a screenwriter writing a character that is cheating on their spouse? Is it anymore so than a novelist who writes a character partaking in a virtuous and societally-justified sexual connection with a partner to whom they're married? Is it cheating any more than the photographer doing a boudoir photo shoot?

If someone agrees that it is cheating - which for the record, I do not - then they have to unequivocally condemn the artists of every walk of life that create works of art depicting anything of a remotely sexual nature, as well as those who consume that medium in any way, since presumably there is a relationship at stake in every sense.

This is an art form, a method of creation. Setting it under different rules to any other art form is unnecessarily semantic and speaks of a person who has an invested interest in preventing that art form in the future. I can imagine someone who feels their spouse or partner shares something with other roleplayers that they don't with their partner, which can be a cause for insecurities if the relationship is already out of touch or distant. That, however, is a flaw in the relationship at home and not in the nature of roleplay as it is.

Online Victorian

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
It is not cheating.  Equating Elliquiy with cheating is similar to saying 'going to the movies and fantasizing about the star is cheating'.

Or reading about a character you lust after in a book is cheating.

If you head down this path you set yourself up to exacting standards that no one can possibly meet.  Seriously, do yourself a favor and do not think this is cheating.

Now, if you gain an emotional attachment and meet and bed after sharing a coffee at Starbucks.

NOW, that is cheating.

Offline marauder13

• A Patient Male
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Always on the lookout for my next friend.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
In my opinion, it is not cheating if you are just writing stories with other people on the site.

My wife knows I am here, and what I do on this site, and others like it. She can read anything I have written, because I don't hide it from her. If she were to ask me to stop doing it, I would, very reluctantly. But we have agreed to a code of behaviour, which is not really needed as it is common sense, but as long as I don't do anything stupid, then I am OK to continue writing here, and interacting with the lovely folks here.

Offline SinfullyShyTopic starter

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
Fully agree with that notion and sentiment!