Windows 10 Store/app problem

Started by Oniya, October 09, 2017, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

This is kind of a two-parter.  Little Oni has a Win 10 laptop that she got from my sister-in-law.  She wants to download the Win10 version of Minecraft so that she and her new friend (who has XBox) can play together.  If I can solve either of these problems, I'm good.

Problem one:  When she tries to open the Windows Store to get the software, it closes immediately.  There is no other source to get the file directly.  If I can solve this one, I can download the file directly to the laptop.

Problem two:  I managed to open the Store on my computer and downloaded it.  It shows up on my menus, but I'll be damned if I can locate the actual files on my machine.  I've done the intuitive searches and looked in the normal places.  If I can find it, I've got a reasonable chance of sneaker-netting it to the laptop.

Anyone telling me that the solution is 'don't use Windows 10' will be cordially invited to 'shurrup.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SINless

If you buy an app from the store, usually it doesnt actually download the file. It installs directly from the store. I will have a rummage around to see if i have sourcefiles somewhere, but not sure.

Oniya

Odd - it said it was downloading something.  (I was even amused because at one point it stalled for a while at 13.37 Mb.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Orange Marmalade

Did you try these steps?

http://windowsreport.com/windows-store-closes-windows-10/

(Make sure to ignore their bloatware at the beginning - it starts at "Solution 1 – Delete local cache")

Oniya

Did delete the local cache, with no effect.
Did check the time zone (Time is set correctly)

I'll give the rest of the steps a try tomorrow (as I realize that I didn't check the computer password before shutting down.)  Is PowerShell as much bloatware as ReimagePlus?  (Step 4)

AmberStarfire

Are your computers networked? Maybe if there is an installation file you can access it from her machine on your machine?

I don't really know though. I don't use the Windows store.

You could try looking in Windows Explorer or My PC (or whatever it's called now) and typing C:\ProgramData
into the bar (if C is your drive). I think it's usually a hidden folder, but it might show you program folders.

There are some other location possibilities here too:
https://www.howtogeek.com/278562/what-is-the-programdata-folder-in-windows/