Anxiously Awaiting Approval

Started by Birdie, September 07, 2017, 01:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdie

Hi there! Is anyone interested in a fun little roleplay while I await my -possible- approval? I'm up for just about anything and I really need to buff away this rust and get my brain working. Just post if you are interested!

Just a heads up, I am a very open minded individual and if you wish to role play anything that I don't quite understand, just break out the sock puppets and crayons and I'll be sure to follow along <3

Thanks!

Birdie

Magicaddict

Hi Birdie - fellow prospective here.

I'd be interested in putting something together for mutual practice purposes.  I am still getting used to writing sizable multi-paragraph responses (IM and Live roleplay are my norms, so no more than a couple of sentences before someone else takes over), and it would be good for me to get some direct practice at this while you de-rust.

If you are interested, while you said that you have no specific preferences, are there any genres that you would prefer not to do? Furthermore, do you have any ideas for stories/scenes?

I am sure we can come up with something, and no problem if you'd prefer not to.
"Sex was never safe.  In sex, you reveal yourself physically and emotionally, and that's fucking dangerous." - Jim Steinman

Current Status: Balancing multiple commitments, but not absent.  Average turnaround ~ 6-7 days.

Birdie

I would love to get something together for us! I am getting used to it as well, as previously mentioned with the rust and junk.

I was thinking something simple, like a meet and greet? Or something along the lines of friendly encounters that could progress as soon as you are approved as well?

This is all up to you as well and if you are still interested. My main offs are mainly mutilation and gore, other than that I don't really have any preferences. Can't wait to hear back from you!

Magicaddict

Sounds good to me - nice simple concept with lots of options. Looking forward to this.

Ideas that occur to me (to say nothing of ones that might have occurred to you):

1. First meeting of two lone-wolf assassins reluctantly hired to work together. Modern, futuristic or medieval.

2. A meeting behind masks at the annual supernatural dark masquerade, and the mystery of not just who, but what one's conversation partner might be.

3. Forward scouts of enemy armies find themselves running into each other unexpectedly. What now?

4. Investigative reporter runs into situation they weren't supposed to see. The person they saw tries to convince them not to pursue it. (This is a follow on of one of the prompts I was given by the mentors - the "phone call changes everything" prompt.  I really liked the idea, but I it might need a little more planning before it can be a proper RP. Not sure.)

Any of these sound interesting to you to flesh out a bit and run with? Do you have any scenes in mind yourself?
"Sex was never safe.  In sex, you reveal yourself physically and emotionally, and that's fucking dangerous." - Jim Steinman

Current Status: Balancing multiple commitments, but not absent.  Average turnaround ~ 6-7 days.

Birdie

Honestly I had no idea where to go with this, but I kind of like the scout one, it seem interesting to me!

What would the scene be so I can figure out a little world building?

Magicaddict

Cool - very glad you liked the idea.

My inspiration from this type of scene came from the pre-amble to the Battle of Jolvaine Pass, deep in the history of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, in which two of the story's historical bigwigs were at war with each other, but had no intention to fight at the time they did.  While both were engaged in troop movements (quite unkowingly in the same vicinity), the two armies' forward scouts all but collided with each other in heavily wooded terrain.  With each army no more than a couple of hours behind (and each numbering in tens of thousands), there was no option but to fight. 

Unless you are a WoT fan, I had no express plans to keep to that particular history (if you are wondering, and are remotely interested in, what the hell I am banging on about, I cannot yet post links, but Googling "war of the second dragon jolvaine pass" should give you a WoT wiki link with a decent primer).  What I liked was the idea of two people whose job it is to be alert, aware, fit, quick and highly capable running into each other, one potentially getting the drop on the other, the intimacy of the situation meaning there's little chance of escaping, the dilemma between hating the enemy in general but finding it progressively harder to hate this one individual, and all of the tension that can be bundled up in all of that. The politics of the story was less important - it was more about the conflict being reduced down to just these two people, who do the same job, and do it well, but happen to do it on opposite sides.

In my mind, I see the scene starting with the two scouts separate to each other, one catching a hint of something (a scent, a noise, a sense, whatever) a hair before the other, using it to their advantage, and the unlickier one finding themselves in a difficult situation as a result.  Verbal combat and power games begin, firstly in the attempt to avoid dying, then as it's becoming a more and more attractive option than killing. I see a lot of options for internal monologue, as their minds race so much faster than the dialogue progresses.

I'm not sure how this works - is this enough information for you to work with?  Too specific? Too little detail? If you have a world build/setting in mind, I'd be perfectly happy to go with that - you're going with my idea for a scene, after all?  Alternatively, I also have others I could suggest if the WoT one doesn't take your fancy.