[DnD 5e] The Advent of Shadow (Closed)

Started by Naughty Miss Adventure, August 30, 2017, 05:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ollumhammersong

would this be freeform or an actual dice rolling, skill check making, attack roll failing kind of rp?
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

ZameRagues

*Tosses the Hat of Interest into the ring*

I'm curious to play just about anything class wise.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Caitlin

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on August 30, 2017, 08:41:47 PM
would this be freeform or an actual dice rolling, skill check making, attack roll failing kind of rp?
Tip for Naughty Miss Adventure, we have the ability to roll dice on the forums where the rolls get recorded for you to see. The only minor disadvantage I can think of is that it could slow down RPing a little since you need the result of the rolls to come in first, but I'm sure we can work that out if you want to go that route. :-)

I recently started in another 5e game on the forums and I had to make 1 persuasion roll there, it worked out great so far and since the DM was very responsive it didn't even slow down the RP and I got to add in the result in a follow up post.

Muse

So, how do we start our aplications?  You've got a lot of players you can choose between!
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Naughty Miss Adventure

First I'm going to be putting some content up in the world building thread.  When I feel I've got enough to present (hopefully in a day or two), I will launch a recruitment thread here with the finalized details.
Ons & Offs (last updated: 15.08.21)
Absences & Apologies (back after a near year-long absence!)
Current Status: Not Accepting New Games; Muse: Erratic

Visit Eridor, where the Black Gate has been opened! (Long-term D&D 5e project)
Visit Carla at The Breeding House of Vinicus

Caitlin

Sounds good. :)

I'm definitely interested, it would give me a couple more days to finish my application for you to consider as well.

Naughty Miss Adventure

Okay, so, for interested in seeing the world building development, you can head off here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=274201.0

Questions and suggestions would be welcome.  My next entry will be elaborate on the races and classes (and probably backgrounds) and what part they have in the world.

Caitlin

I've read it and it looks like an interesting premise. Would you allow a character to have migrated to one of those villages? Possibly for the reason that the character's original village was already overrun by some evil or because the character was passing through to somewhere else and got stuck there? I'd love to play a half-elf bard (who already happened to have a chaotic good alignment) and they're generally traveling around more often than most folks do.

I also came up with the following flaw for my character, so it'd make sense that she'd be on the run; I once satirized a noble who still wants my head. It was a mistake that I will likely repeat.

Naughty Miss Adventure

If at all possible, I would like for all characters to have originated from Besander itself, since I'm actually going to be building the world from the inside out.  I might be willing to permit an outsider who has settled there and lived there for several years?

Nevertheless, I recommend waiting for the second part of the world building entry, since there will be some specific entries for non-human characters.

Caitlin

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on August 31, 2017, 07:58:56 AM
If at all possible, I would like for all characters to have originated from Besander itself, since I'm actually going to be building the world from the inside out.  I might be willing to permit an outsider who has settled there and lived there for several years?

Nevertheless, I recommend waiting for the second part of the world building entry, since there will be some specific entries for non-human characters.
No problem.

I actually started with another 5e game on E 2 weeks ago that used the exact same idea. We still had people coming in from different places, but when you read their backgrounds it all made sense. My own character was actually born in that village, but he was also a sailor who traveled the world for most of his life and only lived the first 18 and the last 3 years of his life in that village. I don't mind changing the ideas for the background I had in mind for my current character if it makes more sense with your world, though.

Quasar

Yowsers, I seemed to have missed a lot!

Just to ask; how many players are you looking for the game?
Quasar's Bangs (Requests; Updated 2017.08.25)
Quasar's A/As (Updated 2017.08.12)

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: HopeFox on August 31, 2017, 08:00:16 AM
I like it! Very isolated and insular. Is it a mostly human village, or are there many people of other races? How does the village feel about magic?

I'm immediately drawn to some sort of woodsman or herbalist, who spends a fair bit of time in the woods, though never straying far from the village itself.
Most of the village, if not the world will predominantly be human, and non-humans are either rare or plain reclusive.

Quote from: Quasar on August 31, 2017, 08:08:16 AM
Yowsers, I seemed to have missed a lot!

Just to ask; how many players are you looking for the game?
I am probably aiming for about 6 players.

Caitlin

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on August 31, 2017, 08:10:39 AM
Most of the village, if not the world will predominantly be human, and non-humans are either rare or plain reclusive.
I am probably aiming for about 6 players.
Mm, I don't think my original idea would work for the campaign you have in mind, so I'm going to scrap that and make a human bard instead. :-)

The half-elf character sheet can be saved for another campaign, I'm sure she'll be used at some point in the future. You've got me pretty excited about your world already, I can't wait to see what else you're coming up with.

clonkertink

Classic setup. I love it. I kinda like the "borrowing names from other settings" thing. It's got that wuirky, old school "pastiche of everything" vine.

Will there be a custom Pantheon for this game, or are we going to be borrowing the gods from a different setting?

CeruleanSerenity

I'm starting to get some ideas, but I think I'll wait until you post race and class information before I let myself get too far with planning... one is for a tiefling rogue, so how she'd fit into the setting would be particularly important for that. Other classes I'm thinking of are fighter and sorcerer (both more likely to be human), but I like most classes... so I'll see what I come up with.

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on August 31, 2017, 07:32:36 AM
Okay, so, for interested in seeing the world building development, you can head off here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=274201.0

Questions and suggestions would be welcome.  My next entry will be elaborate on the races and classes (and probably backgrounds) and what part they have in the world.
Okay.  Info on races and classes is now up in the world building thread.

To answer clonkertink's question, I'll be using Eberron's pantheon, and likewise, the gods are distant and all but involved with worldly affairs.  The Sovereign Host and the Dark Six are in full use, as is the Silver Flame.  Cults of the Dragon Below are now renamed as Cults of the Shadow.  Spirits of the Past and the Undying Court are strictly Elven religions, though the latter is more cult-like.  The Path of Light has only a very small following by certain monastic traditions.

The Blood of Vol is unused.

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on August 30, 2017, 08:41:47 PM
Actual dice rolling.  Otherwise I wouldn't be stating the use of the D&D system.

Corinthi

Miss Adventure, how do you feel about Wizard's Revised Ranger from Unearthed Arcana. Based on your race and class write-up, a halfling ranger sounds super fun, and better fits with your canon than my previous thought.

CeruleanSerenity

So, thinking on what you wrote in the update... while tieflings might look somewhat unusual, they would mostly be at risk of being found out if they use their powers? Or if someone happened to recognize other signs. Hiding their nature might not be hard, typically, but if they failed the consequences would be severe.

But I like what I've read of the setting so far, and I'll think over my ideas... hopefully I'll settle on something by the time you're accepting character submissions.

Caitlin

I've gone ahead and created a character sheet for my half-elf bard. I had a human version in the makes as well, but that was under the assumption that half-elfs weren't allowed.

The character sheet is still a work in progress, but most of it is done already. Especially the background and some minor details still need fixing.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1319440

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ZameRagues

I'm curious what level we would be starting at? *Assuming Lv 1 as I think of characters*
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

1651Leviathan

I'm intrigued by the setting. For Miss Adventure, how do you envision the party? Are you imagining them all fresh-faced villagers, or is there potential for a more worldly member of their company?

...I may or may not be imagining sexy Gandalf.

Muse

Ack. 

No way I can compete with Fox. 

I'll come up with something other than my druid idea. 

About time I looked at the more tradtionaly martial classes anyway.  :) 

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Corinthi on August 31, 2017, 03:25:48 PM
Miss Adventure, how do you feel about Wizard's Revised Ranger from Unearthed Arcana. Based on your race and class write-up, a halfling ranger sounds super fun, and better fits with your canon than my previous thought.
I think that should be okay.  No worries there.

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on August 31, 2017, 03:32:24 PM
So, thinking on what you wrote in the update... while tieflings might look somewhat unusual, they would mostly be at risk of being found out if they use their powers? Or if someone happened to recognize other signs. Hiding their nature might not be hard, typically, but if they failed the consequences would be severe.
Generally correct.  There's practically no way for people to reliably tell tieflings from normal humans, short of magic, or the rare instance when they manifest an inhuman trait.  Using their powers however does make it more noticeable, though the typical onlooker will have to spot the shadow distortion - hence being in shadowy places or even darkness, makes it all the more difficult, if not impossible to spot.

Quote from: HopeFox on August 31, 2017, 05:17:52 PM
What sexual mores are considered acceptable by the village? Is promiscuity a cause for ostracism, or are they more liberal than that?
Besander is a small conservative village, so it certainly has certain attitudes towards promiscuity.  Most people would like to appear proper, but underneath the facade, many would have more-active-than-admitted sex life.  No one can be punished or ostracized (except for more taboo matters) for being more promiscuous than would be considered proper, though they are likely to be the source of much gossip and improper speculation.

Quote from: ZameRagues on August 31, 2017, 09:47:42 PM
I'm curious what level we would be starting at? *Assuming Lv 1 as I think of characters*
1st level is correct.

Quote from: 1651Leviathan on August 31, 2017, 09:53:31 PM
I'm intrigued by the setting. For Miss Adventure, how do you envision the party? Are you imagining them all fresh-faced villagers, or is there potential for a more worldly member of their company?

...I may or may not be imagining sexy Gandalf.
I will admit the idea did cross my head, but I'd like for everyone to be on a more or less equal playing field, so it will have to be fresh faced villagers.