You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 19, 2020, 05:59:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: [DnD 5e] The Advent of Shadow (Closed)  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Naughty Miss AdventureTopic starter

[DnD 5e] The Advent of Shadow (Closed)
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:56:33 AM »
Hello all!  I'm looking to start a Pathfinder D&D 5e campaign, but as fair warning, whilst I have a fair bit of experience on the tabletop, this will be my first time running a forum-based game so there may be a bit of shaky start as I acclimate.

I'm looking for some plucky would-be adventurers for an escalating adventure in the vein of Lord of the Rings - start small and fresh off the farm and then off into the world from there as the adventure escalates, after they find a fragment of a sinister artifact that turns their lives upside down and brings Nazgul Myrdraal sinister creatures coming to their neck of the woods.

For now, I'm just checking for interested parties and entertaining any questions (which will help me get a better idea of where I want to go with it) before I decide to launch.

World Building Thread

CHARACTER BUILDING GUIDELINES
  • Ability Scores obtained using the Points-Buy method with 27 points to spare.  No ability score above 15 before racial adjustments.
  • All standard Races and Classes are permitted.  See the 2nd and 3rd post of the world building thread for campaign specifics.
    • Humans use the standard human build, not the variant human build (i.e. +1 to all ability scores; no extra skill, no extra feat)
  • All characters receive 1 bonus feat at 1st level.
  • All feats from this consolidated list are acceptable, except for those designated (Plane Shift Kaladesh).
  • All Backgrounds are permitted, but should be justified for the setting.
  • Characters purchase starting equipment with the following wealth:
    Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
    Barbarian: 60 gp
    Bard: 135 gp
    Cleric: 135 gp
    Druid: 60 gp
    Fighter: 135 gp
    Monk: 22 gp, 5 sp
    Paladin: 135 gp
    Ranger: 135 gp
    Rogue: 110 gp
    Sorcerer: 85 gp
    Warlock: 110 gp
    Wizard: 110 gp
  • The PHB and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide are valid sources for use.  Please clear anything else through me.

• Please indicate character's sexuality, and, if they happen to be bisexual, whether their preference is for female partners, male partners, or both equally.

CURRENT APPLICANTS
  • RedPhoenix - LG Female Mountain Dwarf Fighter - Bretta Brassknuckle
  • ZameRagues - CG Female Human Monk - Zinna Strider
  • Corinthi - CG Female Lightfoot Halfling Ranger - Portia Poppyfield
  • Caitlin - CN Female Half-Elf Bard - Carmen Silverwood
  • clonkertink - LN Male Half-Elf Cleric - Damien Fairbright
  • Quasar - NG Male Half-Elf Paladin - Kyras
  • Muse - NG Female Human Druid - Rini
  • Snake - CG Male Human Fighter - Tyriel Astrilyn
  • Frelance - CG Male Rock Gnome Warlock - Kess Strongfold
  • Elven Sex Goddess - CN Female Half-Elf Warlock - Domina
  • CeruleanSerenity - CG Female Tiefling Rogue - Iris
  • shmone else - CG Female Half-Orc Barbarian - Yazul Strongarm
  • Laughing Hyena - NG Male Dragonborn Wizard - Aramis Keelan
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:15:27 PM by Naughty Miss Adventure »

Offline Swashbuckler

• For my part, if a man must needs be a knave I would have him a debonair knave... It makes your sin no worse as I conceive, to do it à la mode and stylishly.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • You want posts? Cuz that's how you get posts...
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: [DnD 5e] The Advent of Shadow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:09:31 AM »
I'd certainly be interested.   I am familiar with Pathfinder, and like the idea of starting small (lower level I mean....not halflings).

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »
I'd certainly be interested.   I am familiar with Pathfinder, and like the idea of starting small (lower level I mean....not halflings).
I particularly enjoy seeing character development, which happens better at the lower levels.

I'm game! I'm always fond of the "escalating heroism" style of story, and "fresh off the farm" heroes can be an awful lot of fun.

Questions off the top of my head:

• Pathfinder or D&D 5E? I'm very happy with either, but the title says 5E while the text says PF.
  • How much sexual content would you expect? Just player-driven, or from NPCs and the plot too?
Thanks for bringing that to my attention HopeFox!  The correct one would be 5e.  Initially I was thinking PF, but then just to be on the safe side with regards to time management and ease of play, I decided to make it 5e.

How much sexual content?  Certainly more than LoTR featured! :D

I'd say as much the story allows for - I very much encourage developing the sexual side of your character - but, if the situation isn't sexual, I'm going to rule for players not to introduce it.  If they have some free time, and a bit of flirting escalates, then sure.

Players can indulge with one another, but since they have to stick with another, I'm going to recommend and easy-come-easy-go attitude.  There will also be NPCs I can provide for such content as well.

Offline Quasar

• Purveyor of the Forbidden ~ Systemphile
  • Legate
  • Enchanted
  • Making all forbidden fantasies explode.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »
Count me interested as well.  I have a 5e bard character that I'd like to try.

I'm looking for some plucky would-be adventurers for an escalating adventure in the vein of Lord of the Rings - start small and fresh off the farm and then off into the world from there as the adventure escalates, after they find a fragment of a sinister artifact that turns their lives upside down and brings Nazgul Myrdraal sinister creatures coming to their neck of the woods.
Nazgul I know to be from Lord of the Rings.  Myrdraal... would that happen to be from Wheel of Time?

Offline ShadowFox89

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
 I'd be interested, I've been running games too much at this point and would like a bit of a break from starting games..... I've got several character ideas, depending on the setting and further themes.

Offline Caitlin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
*Raises hand*

I'm interested in playing a cheerful half elf bard. :D

Maybe some music on those dark brooding days might help to lighten the mood a little.

Offline CeruleanSerenity

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
I love D&D 5e, but I've never really had a successful game of it... so I'm definitely interested. I'm not sure what I'll play, but I have been reading The Belgariad recently, so I'm in the mood for a good traditional fantasy epic from humble beginnings.

Do you have any plans for the setting? And what do you expect the tone of the game to be, between lighthearted or dark, and realistic or stylized high-fantasy?

And a bit of advice, since this is your first time running a play-by-post game... in my experience, it's important to keep the momentum going in order to prevent things from petering out. I haven't really run anything, so I'm not sure I can help much myself, but you might want to look around for general advice from people that have run successful forum games... it seems like there are problems specific to this format that can crop up, and most games don't last.

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Jewel of her Soul -- Neko's Catnip -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination -- Blessed by Aeval
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
  I would love a chance to play if I'm not too late! 

I have a concept for a druid girl/village healer who's magic empowers her staff to strike with the strenght of her heart--far greater than the strength of her tiny body.)

Edit:  I'm also more than happy to pitch a guy if it will give a better sexual dynamic to the group.  :) 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:33:08 PM by Muse »

Offline Caitlin

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
By the way, I have quite a bit of experience at organizing games and keeping them running. I don't want to DM this since I'd rather play, but I'm definitely not opposed against offering advice and helping out on the background to keep things running either. If you need any help, then please let me know. :-)

Offline Caitlin

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
I couldn't help myself and already did most of the preparations for a half-elf bard. ;D

Even if I wouldn't get to play her in this game, I'll just save the character sheet for another one instead. :-)

I really love making characters, it always gets me really excited to try and figure everything out and I haven't even played a bard before. The way I set her up is that she's a spy who is also proficient in thieves' tools and somewhat of an infiltrant who could work alone. I still have to write up a background for her, but that can wait for another day. It's bedtime right now.

Offline 1651Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »
I'm interested! I have no particular character ideas at this point, since this is just an interest check, but I'll be watching this closely!

Offline Corinthi

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
I'd be interested in playing. I've an idea for a super buff half-orc who's oddly a shockingly charming Sorcerer that is covered in tiny scars because they have magic blood they use to cast spells.

People expect the axe and get the firebolt!

Alternately, a half orc warlock who's patron is somehow tied into the series' villain!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:42:31 PM by Corinthi »

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
Welcome to all the new faces and thanks for the interest :-)

Nazgul I know to be from Lord of the Rings.  Myrdraal... would that happen to be from Wheel of Time?
Wheel of Time would be correct.

Do you have any plans for the setting? And what do you expect the tone of the game to be, between lighthearted or dark, and realistic or stylized high-fantasy?
For the moment, it will be a home-brew setting.  Think Lord of the Rings, but with a D&D flair.  With everyone being from one of many small isolated villages that barely even realise they're part of a larger nation, it's not necessary that the world without be known to them in much detail beyond rumors the occasional travelling merchant brings.

By the way, I have quite a bit of experience at organizing games and keeping them running. I don't want to DM this since I'd rather play, but I'm definitely not opposed against offering advice and helping out on the background to keep things running either. If you need any help, then please let me know. :-)
Thank you for the offer Caitlin, I will certainly keep it in mind if I find the going rough.

Online clonkertink

• [Noob-Friendly][Systems Machine][Dapper Automaton][Pied Piper of Perverts][Duly Elected Boob Minister][Junker]
  • God
  • Addict
  • Beware, I was cursed by a wicked dice witch.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 21
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
I'd love to get in on this too. I've played my fair share of 5e. Not quite sure what kind of character I'm feeling quite yet. I've got a vague cleric/paladin/fighter at the moment.

Offline Miroque

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
*Raising my hand aswell*

I would love to play in 5e or PF which ever you prefer. And I can no problem of making character to setting of your choosing (and with limitations of your choosings)

-Miro

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Jewel of her Soul -- Neko's Catnip -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination -- Blessed by Aeval
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 05:23:57 PM »

Miss, that line gives you intsant awesome-cred in my book.  A real pleasure to meet you. 

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
Love 5e, love simple setups that don't muck with the premise too much, love this.

What books would you be allowing?

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
For now, the Core Rulebook and The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is mainly what I'm working with.  I may consider other sources, but probably only on a case for case basis.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »
Sweet! Thanks. :)

Leaning towards a paladin or cleric in case anyone is curious.

Offline Muse

• Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
Any requests for the gender of the character I play? 

My female concept is a druid with a staff. 
My male concept is--very tenatively--an elf wizard (Bladesigner). 

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
I would recommend going with what you feel will offer you the most investment in game, Muse - no point in playing a character that arouses only half-hearted effort at best.

Offline Muse

• Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »
  *Smiles*  Well, I definatly get invested in the relationships I RP. 

I'll lean towards Rini Orlsdotter, druid with a  staff, but am open to other requests. 

QUestion.  May I begin play with a ginger tom cat?  I'll give up something from my tarting package or put a gold or two towards him? 

Online Ollumhammersong

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
I may join this if an OOC starts up

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
QUestion.  May I begin play with a ginger tom cat?  I'll give up something from my tarting package or put a gold or two towards him?
*Eyebrow raises with interest until realizing he means 'starting' package*

I will give it some thought, though in theory I don't see anything wrong with it.

Online clonkertink

• [Noob-Friendly][Systems Machine][Dapper Automaton][Pied Piper of Perverts][Duly Elected Boob Minister][Junker]
  • God
  • Addict
  • Beware, I was cursed by a wicked dice witch.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 21
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 06:46:31 PM »
You mean tarting package isn't in the PHB alongside the burglar's kit and dungeoneer's gear?