News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Diet and Disease

Started by Serephino, August 23, 2017, 09:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigon

Quote from: Oniya on August 25, 2017, 12:37:10 PM
I'm just going to point out a little 'human nature' thing here:

Doom and gloom doesn't win converts.  You might get 'grudging followers' in a best-case scenario, but not people who are truly interested.

Honestly, it doesn't matter the subject matter; the old phrase holds true:  You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  I have known many vegetarians over my life.  Some of them approach it with the 'All meat is bad because X'.  We don't talk about food.  Ever.  Some will describe the amazing Indian food that they made over the weekend and I end up scribbling down the recipe and trying to figure out if I can swing getting lentils at the local store.  Heck, I'll even look up recipes for them if they're looking for a specific thing and can't find it.  (And might scribble it down myself.)

Just my half-penny.

To that, I will say that you may be interested in the works of John Gray, or Zizek, or Sartre, or Agamben  >:)

Oniya

Quote from: Trevino on August 25, 2017, 12:56:08 PM
To that, I will say that you may be interested in the works of John Gray, or Zizek, or Sartre, or Agamben  >:)

Ah yes.  'Hell is other people.'  This does explain much.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Serephino

Quote from: Trevino on August 25, 2017, 11:54:47 AM
Do you happen to have the name of this documentary, by chance? I would like to see what they are claiming specifically.... But regarding the link between meat and diabetes, unfortunately they are correct about that one: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1697785

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942738/

At least if it comes to red meat, those who consume it regularly are in fact at a higher risk for type 2 diabetes.

It's called 'What the Health' I think.  It's on Netflix's new release list.

CopperLily

Anyone who claims to fully understand the link between diet and health...doesn't. That's just not where the science is at right now.

Oniya

Quote from: CopperLily on September 02, 2017, 01:28:07 PM
Anyone who claims to fully understand the link between diet and health...doesn't. That's just not where the science is at right now.

And generally, the more simple their solution (especially if it includes 'Buy my product/book!'), the more likely it's wrong.  Everyone's metabolism, genetics, and lifestyle form unique factors, and there is no one-size-fits-all miracle pill/tactic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

xodakotq

I've been diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia since 14... It's my everyday struggle.. :[