You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 27, 2020, 08:25:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Bonds of the Betrayed (Fantasy group system game, homebrew)  (Read 1335 times)

Offline TheHangedManTopic starter

Bonds of the Betrayed (Fantasy group system game, homebrew)
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:27:32 PM »
Ahoy there. This is a tentative interest check for a simple system based game with fantasy elements. The story goes that each of the characters has been accused of a crime, and whether they are guilty or innocent, they were found to be guilty and sentenced to internment on a prison island.  The place is a special kind of hell, though; plenty of vicious monsters running around, other 'inmates' have formed their own societies... some nicer than others, some straight up vicious thugs (some inspiration drawn from things like Lord of the Flies). The 'Custodians', the guards, pretty much don't give too much of a damn; they just sit in their fort, or go off in patrols in their boats, and make sure nobody makes it off the island.

It'd be something of a semi-sandbox game, with the characters arriving at the Island at the same time, having all been processed around the same week.  Because of the exotic component of monsters on the island, and the absolute lawlessness and what may occur in such a state, I'd likely be placing this in Extreme--or, at the very least, non-con Exotic--for those who may be turned away by such things.

That's the gist of it. Any questions or thoughts, any interest for something like this? Feel free to comment and inquire.

Offline AndyZ

Re: Bonds of the Betrayed (Fantasy group system game, homebrew)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
Keeping an eye on this ^_^

Online Sara Nilsson

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:42:51 AM »
Do you have a plan for what will happen or is it up to the players?

What type of monsters?

What is the tech level like? You said fantasy elements, so.. magic?

Offline Pink Kitten

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
Sounds interesting ^_^

How big of a part would you expect the system to play in the game? What kind of a system did you have in mind?

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Do you have a plan for what will happen or is it up to the players?

What type of monsters?

What is the tech level like? You said fantasy elements, so.. magic?

A broad plan, but it will be improvised to account for what the players do. There won't be very much, if any, railroading.

Most monsters will be based off of Celtic, Slavic/Rus, and Native American folklore.

Tech level will vary between iron age and more primal/improvised. You're all coming from a fairly medieval, civilized world  (think Dungeons & Dragons styled medieval), but the island itself is substantially lower on the tech scale as the infrastructure isn't really there to support it.  Steel equipment would be highly prized and rare.

Magic is rare; I say fantasy elements, but it's low-magic, and mostly will come in the form of mystical creatures, and witch's brews and the like, rather than straight up "I cast a fireball" D&D style magic. Magic is known as the Subtle Art for a reason.

Sounds interesting ^_^

How big of a part would you expect the system to play in the game? What kind of a system did you have in mind?
Minor to moderate. The numbers will be more like a comparison or guide-line. it definitely won't be as roll-heavy as a game such as D&D, but it they will crop up every now and again; if you decide you want to move a boulder with pure muscle power, for instance, I may make you roll to see if you can actually do it.

The system is a "roll under" one, based around six core stats. You assign a limited number of points to those stats (think of it a bit like Fallout, but without any derived skills).

Since a few people have shown interest, this is how the system will work:

S stands for Strength, a measure of how much you can lift, and how hard you can hit things. Above average strength gives a bonus to damage.
C stands for Constitution, which is how much of a beating you can take, whatever the source.
A stands for Agility, which gauges your hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, flexibility, and other such things.
R stands for Resiliency, which is your ability to shrug off psychological horrors, and deal with the stress and insanity of the world that surrounds you.
E is for Education, which measures not only your scholastic knowledge, but how you can practically apply it as well.
D stands for Discernment, which is your ability to perceive the world around you.

All stats start off at 4. You get 7 points to spend between them. They can be raised (or lowered) anywhere between 1 and 10.

Offline Hobbes1266

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
Looks fun to me, how would interactions with monsters go? Would they be more focused on killing you or raping you?

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
Looks fun to me, how would interactions with monsters go? Would they be more focused on killing you or raping you?

Monsters would be more focused on killing. Other convicts might be rape-y, but then again, some of them might be decent chaps (hell, depending on what crime the PC(s) in question stand accused of, one of the 'star characters' might very well be a rapist).

Offline vastowen456

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 01:06:20 AM »
I would be interested in something like this.

Also, nice job coming up with SCARED. And if you didn't come up with it, props to whoever did. :)

I have a character I'm itching to play- He's a character I made for a D&D game, but I never got to use him. I'm sure I could adjust him for this. :D

Would this story be more narrative/story focused, or more combat focused? Or maybe a balanced mix of both?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:08:58 AM by vastowen456 »

Offline Hobbes1266

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 07:20:56 AM »
What level of fantasy would this be? Would it be safe to assume that the prisoners wouldn't be throwing fireballs around?

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
I would be interested in something like this.

Also, nice job coming up with SCARED. And if you didn't come up with it, props to whoever did. :)

I have a character I'm itching to play- He's a character I made for a D&D game, but I never got to use him. I'm sure I could adjust him for this. :D

Would this story be more narrative/story focused, or more combat focused? Or maybe a balanced mix of both?

As combat can be quite lethal (this isn't going to be like D&D where you can have 1 hit point left and go run a marathon; this is more like "I just got shot in the chest with an arrow, I'm going to curl up and cry and try not to bleed to death"), I will naturally make it more story focused, but it will ultimately be player-reactive.

What level of fantasy would this be? Would it be safe to assume that the prisoners wouldn't be throwing fireballs around?
Magic is known as the Subtle Art in the game universe, and is an esoteric mystery that few study, and even fewer understand. Some creatures can use it on an instinctual, and you'll see a lot of fantasy monsters (wyverns, gryphons, sentient slime, minotaurs, and a lot of other creatures drawn from the folklores of the Celts and people of Rus), but it will never be quite so 'in your face' as a fireball.

You might have a literal 'rain dance' for controlling the weather, but that's an hours long ritual that requires dancers and drum beaters, and a big bonfire burning sacred herbs (and maybe some other ritual components). You might be able to brew healing potions, but those require exotic herbs and fungi, and careful brewing, lest it be made worthless by a careless touch or untended fire. Humans were never meant to use magic, and so whenever they try to emulate it, it will require a great deal of time, energy, resources, and the return on investment will rarely be spectacular. 

To put it in another perspective, and to borrow from D&D and Pathfinder: in those settings, it's pretty easy for adventurer's to find a +1 weapon or armor. Those things are a dime a dozen, and can be made by pretty much any competent enchanter/blacksmith duo. In this world, a +1 weapon would be a named artifact, with legends and tales surrounding the times and tribulations of its wielders.

Offline Hobbes1266

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
So... could someone be sent to the island for attempting to summon a demon? Even if such a thing would be dangerous and damn near impossible if possible at all

Offline Vonandi

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
I'm interested. I was thinking about making a bastard bonds inspired RP, but this nails what I was going to attempt down to a T. Here's the list of crimes from the character creation of that game if it helps at all.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 04:34:20 PM »
So... could someone be sent to the island for attempting to summon a demon? Even if such a thing would be dangerous and damn near impossible if possible at all
Yes. Demon/devil worship/summoning would be a serious enough crime to get you removed from all of polite society.

I'm interested. I was thinking about making a bastard bonds inspired RP, but this nails what I was going to attempt down to a T. Here's the list of crimes from the character creation of that game if it helps at all.
That is actually a major inspiration for what I want to run here. Can I count you as interested?

Offline Vonandi

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Yes. Demon/devil worship/summoning would be a serious enough crime to get you removed from all of polite society.
That is actually a major inspiration for what I want to run here. Can I count you as interested?

Absolutely, one hundred percent.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
Sorry, everyone, but I'm currently going through something of a health crisis, and I don't feel confident in my ability to lead a group game; I'll be shelving this idea for the time being, but plan to pick it back up in the future when things settle down.

Offline Amarlo

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
Reminds me of Path of Exile. ;D Sounds neat!