You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 10:37:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Ever had a Character do this . . .?  (Read 978 times)

Offline AragemTopic starter

Ever had a Character do this . . .?
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
Lately, I'm playing a character that is sexually attracted to his partner/teacher.  However the the partner/teacher is a big jerk and my character has a strict moral code.  And it has come to a situation where the characters could have sex.

However, my character doesn't know what to do, thus I'm lost like I have writer's block!  I try to put myself inside my character's head so I could keep them in character and interesting, but when it gets like this, I have a hard time keeping them interesting!

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Ever had a Character do this . . .?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »
I suppose the options would be hold to their code and not do anything, or have sex and then feel guilty about it after. Either option offers a way to progress the story.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »
Which is very very true.

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:29:26 PM »
Yeah, those are about the only resolutions if the characters remain true to themselves.  Of course, the jerk could have redemption...or the highly moral girl take a slide.  Characters can change for the better...or...

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »
What suffers is my writing.   If the character is confused, I mean REALLY confused about something and isn't sure about what he wants, I start to faulter and my creative juices go bad.

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:41:51 PM »
Just remember that confusion and indecision are as valid an emotional/mental state as any other for a character.  Life often comes in shades of gray.  To have a character whose mind is always made up, who always has a clear course of action, sacrifices verisimilitude and detracts from suspense.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:43:26 AM »
Verisimilitude. What a great word :)

I agree with the others, people rarely hold to their morals 100% fully, all of the time. It is the ones that look back on it with regret or shame and vow to do better next time, that separate people.

Offline Greenthorn

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 07:14:47 AM »
Making decisions will help the story along.  If your character ignores morals, then that just means a new direction for the story...if the morals remain intact....then another path is taken.

It's all about allowing yourself to erase a set "path" in a story for your character...whichever way the situation goes...the story still remains.

Offline Mnemaxa

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
Actually, it's usually perfectly acceptable to have the character become confused and start to panic too.  How you feel about their situation is most likely how THEY would feel about it, in some measure at least. 

Offline Aysleen

• Biter of lips, and necks, and things
  • Deverified
  • Seducer
  • Come on, do me...you know you want to.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
I've had this happen, as well as just having a character not respond in the way they might have been intended to do in the beginning.
Try as I might I just can't find the appropriate motivation to get the character moving, and so yes, I develop a sort of writer's block. 

I've also had that happen with partners, though for some reason some people are hesitant to admit this.  I don't know why, because for me the game/writing ceases to be fun, and I really see no point in it.  It's no one's fault.  If could just be a difference in writing styles, or there just might not be any chemistry between writers/characters. 

Not everyone is going to write in a way to please everyone else, but they shouldn't take this news as personal criticism.  It's just one of those things, and I usually try to end the game at that point.