You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 01:11:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A Rational, Measured Discussion.  (Read 1250 times)

Offline The Great TriangleTopic starter

A Rational, Measured Discussion.
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:26:25 PM by The Great Triangle »

Offline Paradox

Re: A Rational, Measured Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
The shading on every picture is exactly the same as the picture before it. Not every Sunday could possibly be so predictable as to have the same level of sunshine from the same angle, nor could those two white and red cars have found the same parking spaces every Sunday...I smell a fake!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »
Of course it's a fake!

I mean...  Who says the pictures were taken on Sunday?   ;D

Isn't it a matter of faith anyway?

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »

Offline Cherri Tart

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:36:54 AM »

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
The shading on every picture is exactly the same as the picture before it. Not every Sunday could possibly be so predictable as to have the same level of sunshine from the same angle, nor could those two white and red cars have found the same parking spaces every Sunday...I smell a fake!

Don't care. Still funny.

:D

Offline Paradox

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Apparently Gtri and my mother share the same sense of humor. I just found a copy of this in my inbox from her.

Offline Caehlim

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 02:27:14 AM »
To paraphrase Nietzsche.

"I could not believe in a heaven that kept out dogs".

I'm not religious (atheist here), but if I were I would not accept that animals had no soul.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Technically, most Christian denominations don't believe that animals have no soul, simply that their souls do not have the same fundamental qualities as human souls.  (And potentially may not be eternal, although there's no particular reason to suggest such.)

There's a very interesting (but by no means commonly held) theology of the "order of creation" which suggests that humans are an intermediate being in the grand scale of the universe, more aware of their surroundings than say plants, but still inferior to various divine intelligences.  (possibly including alien beings, an idea reasonably entertained during the renaissance.)  Animals, such as dogs, possess a lower level of awareness, although this gives them considerably less moral responsibility.  Accordingly, plants and other non sentient beings function at an even lower level of awareness, fulfilling their function quite automatically.  Meanwhile, inanimate matter fills the lowest rung on the chain of beings (except perhaps for atoms, elements, and the prime materia)  In many theological schemes, inanimate matter is often held to be in a state of constant worship of God, from which it derives its properties.  (the inanimate being defined by constancy, while more complex beings are defined by change)

However, in general, such theological schemes are considerably less popular these days, due to the influence of modern science, and the intense focus on the "what" rather than the "why" of the universe.   Ergo, the vast majority of Christians prefer to remain agnostic about the existence of animal souls.  (though a protestant and a catholic would be approximately equally likely to either believe in or deny the existence of such souls.)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
 Ergo, the vast majority of Christians prefer to remain agnostic about the existence of animal souls.  (though a protestant and a catholic would be approximately equally likely to either believe in or deny the existence of such souls.)

I imagine it has more to do with whether or not you have a beloved pet than whether you are Catholic, Protestant or Pastafarian.  Those that have a beloved pet, whether they die before the owner or vice versa, are vastly comforted by the idea that they will be reunited with that loved one in the afterlife, just as they will be reunited with their human loved ones.  Those that don't are probably more likely to be agnostic about it.

Back when I did UseNet, I was introduced to this little inspirational piece, completely non-denominational, during a conversation about the loss of pets.

Offline The Overlord

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
Back when I did UseNet, I was introduced to this little inspirational piece, completely non-denominational, during a conversation about the loss of pets.

The rainbow bridge .. Bifrost. That's one of mine then :)

My pets have mostly been rats. It hurts losing them, but I know (or at least believe) that they're running with the rat spirits now. And at some point, I'll catch up with them all again.

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
I'm a dyslexic atheist.

I don't believe in dog.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
Then there's the insomniac dyslexic agnostic, who sits up nights wondering if there is a dog. ;)