You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2020, 06:36:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Chosen Few: Interest Check  (Read 1714 times)

Online JuggtacularTopic starter

We Chosen Few: Interest Check
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
Hey guys, I'm Juggtacular!!!!

Long story short, I got this crazy idea that essentially every amazing weapon you hear about in legend and myth, is real. Excalibur(King Arthur), Ryu Jingu Bang(Monkey King), The Masamune Blade, etc, etc... are weapons that were forged in real life, and used by the figure of legend. However they were created with a secondary, more important purpose. One day, the true evil would arise. A dark God. The dark God. A force of entropy, chaos, and death. Necessary, but evil all the same. It would sweep across all the worlds until it engulfed everything in darkness. The only thing that could stop it, would be the legendary weapons combined. The catch is they have to choose a wielder once the dark times come. And they have to come together. And they have to go on an adventure, and etc etc... It's a little spin on the "Gather a small force of good to fight the ultimate evil" trope, but hey wouldn't it be cool to have the weapon and all the awesome powers it bestows? Any thoughts? I haven't made many games so I'm not great at interest checks, but there ya go. :)

Online Kadigan

Re: We Chosen Few: Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »
I think it sounds pretty neat. Would it be people in modern times finding them or the characters that are most associated with them as well?

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »
I'm thinking either modern of neo-future-ish times. The weapons have already been written into legend and myth. So it's far enough that no one alive(aside from the keepers, etc...) even think they exist or were ever real. If wanted, it could be modern interpretations of legendary figures to go along with the weapons. I won't stop someone from going that route if they want, as they have to write up the person who gets chosen. I'll just be providing the basics.

Offline orderNchaos

• Master of chaotic pleasures...like a box of chocolates...on X!
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I'll try anything once, twice if I can do it to U!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:19:41 PM »
This is some CRAZY Shit Maan!!  ;)

Crazy!

HHmmm....color me interested.

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:47:13 PM »

So what can we expect from this rp?

I think I already know what image I will use

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

At the moment I am not sure what to give her...perhaps the sword of Joan of Arc?

Edit: Though if we go more Neo Future style I think I may pick something more fitting
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:53:51 PM by Lustful Bride »

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »
Hmmmmm. This is why we do interest checks. Now I'm wondering if the weapons should remain in their ancient forms, or be reconfigured for a more modern age. Hmmmmm you guys. Why'd you be so awesome before I even got started?

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »
Maybe interested? ;x;

Offline Jason Hunter

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:24:59 AM »
Hey Jugg, love the sound of this idea. Put me down in the seriously interested category.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 02:39:47 AM »
Hey Jugg, love the sound of this idea. Put me down in the seriously interested category.

Offline Jason Hunter

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 03:04:03 AM »
Hey Jugg, just had a bit of a think about it. If each weapon has a gaurdian, what if during the years, the weapons got melted down and remade keeping them modern. The gardians know the ancient powers of the weapons and therefore use the ancient rituals to reforge the weapons.

Like Excalibur could now be a pistol like the one here

The Aztec

Just an idea :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:24:11 AM by Jason Hunter »

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 03:29:59 AM »
It's easily doable if that's the route you want to go for that chosen weapon. It could just as easily be that the weapon is bonded with it's "Chosen", and takes a form most suitable to them and their personality, from any point in history. That way there would be an even larger diversity if you've got one guy with a laser cannon, and the other with a hammer.

Online Vergil Tanner

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 04:29:25 AM »
I think that would be an excellent idea; let the player choose what their weapon does. That is, it takes the form most suitable to their Chosen. So a Police officer might get a handgun, but a dedicated martial artist might get a pair of gauntlets or something.
Are there any restrictions on the characteristics of the blades? Because personally, I am SUPER tempted to take on the role of somebody wielding Lancelots sword; that is, Arondight, The Ebony Blade. Of course, thanks to how Lancelot ended...the swords Holy Power has been tainted, and it carries with it a brutal curse of bloodlust that its wielder has to control, or risk going on a rampage.

Would that be an idea that you're willing to entertain? >.>

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 04:35:46 AM »
I think that would be an excellent idea; let the player choose what their weapon does. That is, it takes the form most suitable to their Chosen. So a Police officer might get a handgun, but a dedicated martial artist might get a pair of gauntlets or something.
Are there any restrictions on the characteristics of the blades? Because personally, I am SUPER tempted to take on the role of somebody wielding Lancelots sword; that is, Arondight, The Ebony Blade. Of course, thanks to how Lancelot ended...the swords Holy Power has been tainted, and it carries with it a brutal curse of bloodlust that its wielder has to control, or risk going on a rampage.

Would that be an idea that you're willing to entertain? >.>

That'd be doable. The others would have to keep an eye on him and act as safety measures in case he goes berserk, but that'll just be a lesson in teamwork and diligence.

If I'm being completely honest, I'll probably be using Excalibur as the new King Arthur movie was the spark that made me think of all these legendary weapons in all these other movies and books.

Online Vergil Tanner

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 04:39:58 AM »
Haha, well...I'm fudging a little on Arondight because it wasn't really explained in the original Cycle, but I'm mixing some more modern interpretations into it :P My general idea is that Arondight chooses as its "Chosen" a descendant of Lancelot. Of course, I'd need to see the setting and plot all written out to make a decision, but I am definitely intrigued. :D

Offline MiraMirror

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
I'm thinking of maybe using Gáe Bulg or Caladbolg right now...or maybe Claíomh Solais, or Tyrfing (albeit an altered version to avoid being killed right after using it).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:48:10 AM by MiraMirror »

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
I'd be thrilled if you used those ancient Gaelic/Nordic weapons to slay the servants of the Underlord. :)

Oh, good news guys. I feel like this has shown enough interest for me to get the actual recruitment thread going. So I'm starting on that.

Offline orderNchaos

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
I'd be thrilled if you used those ancient Gaelic/Nordic weapons to slay the servants of the Underlord. :)

Oh, good news guys. I feel like this has shown enough interest for me to get the actual recruitment thread going. So I'm starting on that.

Just change the heading for the thread and make it a recruiting thread.  No sense in making a new one! 

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
This is going to be so fun. I can already see us fighting all manner of Lovecraftian nightmares!  ;D

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
This is going to be so fun. I can already see us fighting all manner of Lovecraftian nightmares!  ;D

Essentially as the weapons all come from different myths, so too do the enemies we will be encountering, all the way up to the final boss and the source of all evil and darkness in the worlds.

Offline orderNchaos

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
Dumb question that I'm sure someone already asked....

Do you have a list of the suggested mythical weapons or is it up to us to come up with the weapon and how it came into our characters control?

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
Dumb question that I'm sure someone already asked....

Do you have a list of the suggested mythical weapons or is it up to us to come up with the weapon and how it came into our characters control?

I was going to put up a basic list once the thread was complete. But I can post the link now(link is easier as you can scroll at your leisure and look more in-depth than the few I'd pick as examples. Here you go

A few of the more famous are: Excalibur(King Arthur's Sword), Ruyi Jingu Bang(Monkey King's Staff), Kodandam(Hindu God Rama's bow), Gungnir(Odin's Spear), Mjolnir(Thor's Hammer), etc...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:06:59 PM by Juggtacular »

Online Vergil Tanner

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
That link leads us to a page called "Here%you%go."

Methinks you need to work on your CodeFu. :P

Offline orderNchaos

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
That link leads us to a page called "Here%you%go."

Methinks you need to work on your CodeFu. :P

Just copy the link and paste it into a address bar.

DIBS!!!

Carnwennan - King Arthur's dagger, sometimes described to shroud the user in shadow

Online Vergil Tanner

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
I know! Just saying, the coding is off. And that bugs me. :P

Also; that list is good...but incomplete. It doesn't even have Imhullu on it!
Alas, Gleipnir isn't classed as a weapon, so I doubt somebody is gonna be walking around throwing the Binding Chain around like Ghost Rider. XD

Also: More Listy Goodness, for those who are interested.

Online Vergil Tanner

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
Ok, I have to ask, so apologies for the double post.

Is it JUST weapons like swords and hammers and whatnot that are selectable, or are other weapon-ish items available for Bearers? EG, Gleipnir (the chain that bound Fenrir) and Galdrabok (an Icelandic Grimoire dating to roughly 1600 BCE that has a list of 47 spells and incantations in it)? Or maybe musical instruments like the Lyre of Apollo or Harp of Bragi, or Gjallarhorn? Or Magical Bodyparts, like the Eye of Horus? Where is the line on magical items that need a "Bearer?" Just so I know what my options are. :P