You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 28, 2020, 03:01:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Bring on the SAS
Reach out to others.

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hogwarts: A Recent Past [Recruitment Thread] -No Longer Accepting-  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Mac84

• Wielder of the Mythril Waffle-Iron of Healing.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Location: Here. Right here. Right here on this spot I'm currently at.
  • K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Hogwarts: A Recent Past [Recruitment Thread]
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
Would Godzilla be an acceptable Potronus?

also would there by a need for a Muggle studies teacher?

Offline MellificTopic starter

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
I would say no to Godzilla namely because he's a specific character. I think a Patronus should be less specific, and instead, something generic. So, if you're willing to have it be a 'lizard creature' instead of Godzilla, it might be doable.

Regarding a Muggle Studies teacher, I think that sounds brilliant, however we're not accepting Professors just yet. We'd like to get this game off the ground first, with student characters and depending on how well the game does and how much interest there is in allowing people to portray Professors, that will determine when/if we allow Professors to be playable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:49:45 PM by Mellific »

Offline GnothiSeauton

• The Baddest Bitch in All the Realm. Mother of The Bieber. Defender of the Brotherfucking Faith. Captain of the Raven. Queen of Gilea. Executive Park Director of PirateWorld. Lover of all things Kenneth Parcell and Lucielle Bluth.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land by day, Isle of the Damned by night, Church of the Sacred Union every Sunday
  • "Illiteracy?!? What does that word even mean?"
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »
I would say no to Godzilla namely because he's a specific character. I think a Patronus should be less specific, and instead, something generic. Like, instead of the clown IT, just clowns in general. So, if you're willing to have it be a 'lizard creature' instead of Godzilla, it might be doable, if your character has a plausible reason for fearing such a creature.

Wouldn't that be a Bogart?

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »
>_>; *coughs*

I don't know where you got that quote from.

Offline Swashbuckler

• For my part, if a man must needs be a knave I would have him a debonair knave... It makes your sin no worse as I conceive, to do it à la mode and stylishly.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • You want posts? Cuz that's how you get posts...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
Another note on future Professors:  there will not be extra curricular relations with Students.  While I am not against such roleplays (Exactly the opposite in fact),  Hogwarts reputation is such that something like that would result in instant termination.

Offline GnothiSeauton

• The Baddest Bitch in All the Realm. Mother of The Bieber. Defender of the Brotherfucking Faith. Captain of the Raven. Queen of Gilea. Executive Park Director of PirateWorld. Lover of all things Kenneth Parcell and Lucielle Bluth.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land by day, Isle of the Damned by night, Church of the Sacred Union every Sunday
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
>_>; *coughs*

I don't know where you got that quote from.

It was magic

Offline Swashbuckler

• For my part, if a man must needs be a knave I would have him a debonair knave... It makes your sin no worse as I conceive, to do it à la mode and stylishly.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
It was magic

immediately mails Gnothi her Hogwarts Letter

Offline Mac84

• Wielder of the Mythril Waffle-Iron of Healing.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Location: Here. Right here. Right here on this spot I'm currently at.
  • K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
I would say no to Godzilla namely because he's a specific character. I think a Patronus should be less specific, and instead, something generic. So, if you're willing to have it be a 'lizard creature' instead of Godzilla, it might be doable.

Regarding a Muggle Studies teacher, I think that sounds brilliant, however we're not accepting Professors just yet. We'd like to get this game off the ground first, with student characters and depending on how well the game does and how much interest there is in allowing people to portray Professors, that will determine when/if we allow Professors to be playable.

Okay, that is understandable.

Wouldn't that be a Bogart?

Depends on how you view the "king of Monsters"!

Another note on future Professors:  there will not be extra curricular relations with Students.  While I am not against such roleplays (Exactly the opposite in fact),  Hogwarts reputation is such that something like that would result in instant termination.

Okay, thanks.

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »

And potentially expulsion for the pupil.

It was magic

Offline GnothiSeauton

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
immediately mails Gnothi her Hogwarts Letter

Hooray

Ha... I needed that gif

Offline Mael

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
I'd like to face claim Daria Sidorchuk. Tentatively.
-still trying to lasso crazy schedule-

Offline A Painter

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
I'll be using Maine Mendoza :)

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
I've been adding and updating everyone's FC's right here.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Phew, finally finished!  ;D

Wanted to submit the first CS so that you guys would have something to reference for a few of the questions. She's still pending Swash's approval, but, here is a a glimpse!

Offline Adrian Castle

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
That face claim though  :o

Offline A Painter

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
I can't decide if I want to play Slytherin, where I feel the most comfortable, or mix things up with another house. xD

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »
That face claim though  :o

I know, right? Love her.  ::)

I can't decide if I want to play Slytherin, where I feel the most comfortable, or mix things up with another house. xD

Could always make one character a Slytherin and your second can be your mixed bag.  ;)

Good thing we are allowing two students to start with!  >:)

Offline Swashbuckler

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »
I will be Face Claiming Hunter Parrish

Offline Snake

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
How about an animagus? Like someone that may have a lycanthrope or two in the family tree that passed along a talent for that sort of transmutation? Since Lycanthropy itself burns out fairly quickly in a bloodline, enough of a trace remains to allow for easier shapeshifting into the beast form? without being a slave to the moon.

Offline GnothiSeauton

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
How about an animagus? Like someone that may have a lycanthrope or two in the family tree that passed along a talent for that sort of transmutation? Since Lycanthropy itself burns out fairly quickly in a bloodline, enough of a trace remains to allow for easier shapeshifting into the beast form? without being a slave to the moon.

I'm not a GM, but I don't think they're allowing Animagi...

The Rules

1. Always comply with the rules of Elliquiy and use common sense.
2. All characters must be at least seventeen years of age or older.
3. Face-claims must be photographs, not artwork.
4. No Werewolves/Veela/Animagi/Metamorphmagi or other extraordinary/overpowered characters.
5. Be active. Real life comes first, but for extended absences, please notify your fellow players.

Offline Snake

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
Well ok Bummer.

But I don't see how animagi are overpowered. Sure they're more dangerous than a normal human would be; but wizards are more dangerous than a normal human is too. And Animagi can't use magic in their animal forms as I understand it. BUT if that's the rule; that's the rule.

Then again do I have grounds to talk? I haven't even picked out a face claim yet
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:27:20 PM by Snake »

Offline GnothiSeauton

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
Well, I could see why they'd be banned, or extremely limited at the very least.  From canon sources, it's supposed to be extremely difficult and takes a lot of time, patience, and skill to do it, as well as there being a lot of risk in learning as the process can backfire and go wrong.  It seems like one of those rare skills that would be considerably difficult to learn and obtain.

Offline Snake

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
That makes sense. I just like the idea of being able to escape the shackles being human places on you. at least for a little while.

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »

Everything that Gnothi said. ^

Thank you Gnothi, for your answer.

To further expand, I'd just like to add that not only is becoming an Animagus quite the challenge, it appears to also be quite the rarity. From the canon, it's easy to sometimes forget that Harry Potter is considered an exception to the norm. To my knowledge, there are no records of students becoming Animagi, other than James Potter, who did so in order to keep track of his friend, Lupin, whenever he would turn. We can assume that this was another exception to the norm. He may have even received help along the way. It wouldn't be the first time Dumbledore stuck his neck out for a student, in order for the greater good to prevail.

If I can be blunt for a moment: there is no reason for an Animagus - or any other extraordinary characters - in this game.

In this game, we are not looking for the extraordinary. We're looking to tell the stories of the rest of the population at Hogwarts. So, while the canons we so adore focus on the exceptions, we are looking for the norms.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:19:15 PM by Mellific »

Offline Wicked Emi

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
Lana Rhoades, slytherin, 21. Also, what year would she be born for 21?