You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 19, 2017, 08:00:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
Issue 74 (Autumn) ~ August thru October 2017

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Empire Records (story first, multiple characters, music)  (Read 169 times)

Offline yoboTopic starter

Empire Records (story first, multiple characters, music)
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
This is an idea based on the movie Empire Records from 1995. To sum up the movie quickly the movie revolves around an independent music store about to be bought by a music chain. We follow the employees (young people, high school students to a few years out of high school) through a day where they are trying to save the store from being bought, while dealing with all kinds of other problems (like a has-been signing autographs, shoplifters, and personal problems of different sorts).

What I wanna recapture is the spirit of the place. A place that is a hang-out for the local youth, where the employees come in early to study or just hang out before they start their shift. A place where the rules aren't enforced heavily. In short, the best place in the world to work when you are around 19 years old.

What is important to note is that this isn't first come. I will be a bit picky about this one, and would rather not start a story unless I find someone I really wanna do this with. If I find two I wanna do the story with I will start two separate stories.

These are the most important things for a possible partner:
1. You have to enjoy writing for multiple main characters, both female and male. I also expect you to write for random NPCs when needed.
2. You have to put story before smut. This will not be a smut-fest. There will probably be smut, but this is going to be story first.
3. You have to have some knowledge about music, as the characters all will have an interest in music. I'm no expert myself, so no need to be an expert. Even though the story will be set during the 1990s I don't mind using music from all eras. As in a band from 2017 can be an up and coming band in the mid-90s, so even if you don't have much interest in 90s music we can use the music you are interested in instead.

I have already mentioned the story will take place during the 1990s. The reason is that this will be before Internet made the record store obsolete. This is a time when your CD collection told the world who you were, or who you wanted to be. This is a time when new music was discovered through friends, knowledgeable music store employees, or music magazines. The mixed tape is still a big thing, mostly on cassette since most people don't have access to a computer.

The store will be key, even though things will happen outside of the store as well. The store is where people meet and where they work. The one thing they all have in common. The employees in the movie were a mixture of different kind of youth, and I want the same in our story.

Also, the most important thing, is to have fun. We both need to have fun, and create characters and situations that will be fun to write.