You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 29, 2020, 02:38:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Server Status and Thanks

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: (DnD 5e) The Dusk before Dawn  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Lyku

Re: (DnD 5e) The Dusk before Dawn
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »
Im torn between cleric, sorceror and bard.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »
Oh, you're grabbing Eldritch Knight, Zaer?

I guess I'll try to work on something else.

Offline ShadowFox89Topic starter

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
Only two decades? Bah! Strahd Von Zarovich would surely laugh at this silly individual. xD

It's funny you mention him.

Offline Drowdeviant

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
It's funny you mention him.

Why is that? I love Strahd. One of the best villains 5E has showcased so far. :3

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
I'm currently in a Curse of Strahd game outside of E.  Should I avoid this game for fear of spoilers?

Offline Drowdeviant

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
I'm currently in a Curse of Strahd game outside of E.  Should I avoid this game for fear of spoilers?

What level is your group and what parts of Barovia have you gotten to Andy? Honestly I wouldn't imagine any spoilers.

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

No, don't worry, no npcs from base dnd will appear here.

Offline Zaer Darkwail

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Oh, you're grabbing Eldritch Knight, Zaer?

I guess I'll try to work on something else.

Yes, however there are manyways how to build eldricth knight as I am debating between melee or archery based eldricth knight. Also eldricth knight aiming siblings (where other is melee oriented and other into archery) would create nice background story :).

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
Well, hard to be siblings with a Warforged, but if you want to go ranged, I can aim for melee ^_^

Offline Zaer Darkwail

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »
Sure, I can go for archery based eldricth knight build :). My char case he was son of one arcane knights (mere child when entire executions happened).

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
 I'll post more campaign information tonight, gotta love 3rd shift.

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
 Alright, some more campaign info!

- The Confederation of Free states is composed of smaller kingdoms, duchies, republics, etc, that allied together to stand against the expansionist policies of the Republic. After their defeat and the rise of the Empire, Imperial governors were installed to oversee the various regions.

- The Empire itself is composed of duchies and city-states that all pay loyalty to the Imperial Capital, which includes tribute and housing garrisons of imperial troops.

- Base technology level is still medieval, however arcanatek allows for things such as skyships, hovering trains, magical artillery, and of course warforged.

- While the Empire uses mortal soldiers, the vast majority of their forces are composed of deathless soldiers encased in bone white armor, using crossbows and spears.

Also, any homebrew written by Matt Mercer is auto-approved, my RL group has been using his stuff for a while. Any other questions, please ask and I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Offline Drowdeviant

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:41 PM »
Alright, some more campaign info!

- The Confederation of Free states is composed of smaller kingdoms, duchies, republics, etc, that allied together to stand against the expansionist policies of the Republic. After their defeat and the rise of the Empire, Imperial governors were installed to oversee the various regions.

- The Empire itself is composed of duchies and city-states that all pay loyalty to the Imperial Capital, which includes tribute and housing garrisons of imperial troops.

- Base technology level is still medieval, however arcanatek allows for things such as skyships, hovering trains, magical artillery, and of course warforged.

- While the Empire uses mortal soldiers, the vast majority of their forces are composed of deathless soldiers encased in bone white armor, using crossbows and spears.

Also, any homebrew written by Matt Mercer is auto-approved, my RL group has been using his stuff for a while. Any other questions, please ask and I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

...*looks at Percy's gunslinger archetype and the mystic class*...Can't decide :P

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
 More fluff! I get bored at work, what can I say?

- The Elvish Clans are located in the Ramshir Forest, to the south-east of the Empire. Despite it's name, the Ramshir Forest is a massive desert composed of great petrified trees, some of them a mile in diameter. The elves use the forest and the amber from the trees as both homes and weapons, using druidic magic to animate the land itself to fight for them and sharpening the amber to fine blades. The Ramshir Forest is also the largest source of a rare explosive mineral, which the Empire has attempted to invade several times to claim as their own.

- The Thunderwall Mountains are home to the Dwarven Holds to the west of the Empire. Beyond the Thunderwall lays the Golden Sea. At one point, the Thunderwall was an almost impassable barrier to the sea, the only pass heavily guarded by dwarves. All of that changed when the Empire decided that it wished to have uninterrupted and completely controlled access to the Golden Sea. Of course, the dwarves didn't like this, so they did the most dwarfy thing possible: using a mixture of arcanatek and pure magical power, they lifted the entire mountain range into the sky. What was left below was a vast, deep valley (the dwarves weren't going to just leave all that ore buried!). To make matters worse for any intrepid traveler, the immense magical discharge from the generators and residual energy from the ritual that lifted the range into the sky leave the entire space between the valley and the afloat mountain range in a constant state of electrical storms.

And finally, looking to use the color wheel as a replacement for the nine alignments. It's just a much more fluid and flexible system.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?157001-Alignment-Replacement-The-Color-Wheel-3-5-PEACH

Offline Zaer Darkwail

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
Here goes my char concept (and hoping GM allows following version of eldricth knight archtype used on my char; http://richplayingitforward.blogspot.fi/2014/11/5th-edition-builds-eldritch-archer.html);

Mathias was born to Adrean Wolfgard and Lenise Wolfgard. His father human while mother a half-elf noblewoman, he inherited his mother genes and was born half-elf. His father was renowned arcane knight, a trained in local academy which mentored new generations of knights and had even started training his own son into the craft as well. However twenty years ago present arcane knights some reason decided try assassinate chancellor, all immediate offenders were executed and remaining arcane knights were arrested for investigations on the matter.

However Adrean saw the 'investigations' were mere another name for witch hunt! As any captured arcane knights who had talked or interacted with assailants (which Adrean had done both and had trained them) were tortured until in agony tortured arcane knight wrote confession to just make pain to end! So when he was called for being investigated upon despite his willing cooperation so far help the investigation (as was his wife and his child), he did not come willingly and fight ensued. Spells and swords were swinged around and mother transported Mathias through laundry tunnel which led to cellar where loyal serf staff then helped young child enter sewers, but then explosion happened which ravaged and destroyed entire mansion in fiery blaze of fire as Republic arcane cannons blew up entire mansion and killing everyone inside it! Expect Mathias who was already tunnels when attack happened.

Then Mathias became a nameless urchin who ran off from his home city, scavenging how to survive and when locals grew tired of local urchin stealing food he moved next ton, next town and then third town. He came across with another urchin; a young boy Lindrias. They together started watch each other's backs, Lindrias was born on streets and so he showed Mathias ropes how to survive and how be sneakier and better pickpocket. They trusted one another, however as Lindrias got involved with thieves guild they parted ways as Mathias did not want get involved with criminals and cutthroats (it's different to him to steal to survive than for profit). Lindrias saw no difference and because guild did not tolerate solo operators so to avoid facing his 'friends' dagger to his face, he left the town and moved to next one.

In there he then met up with rebels, who wanted to make difference.....he joined up with rebels. Albeit he himself is not idealistic and had got street manners already, but he is driven by revenge upon government who stole his life (and his parents lives) from him. So very least he wants deliver a feeling blow to the Empire....

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
So with the magitech and color wheel... less eberron and more ravnica? I am totally down for that  ;D

Offline Drowdeviant

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2017, 12:37:07 AM »
So with the magitech and color wheel... less eberron and more ravnica? I am totally down for that  ;D
Boros, Orzhov, Rakdos life forevah!

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »

Getting warmer.

Though less Ravnica, more Kaladesh with a bit of Kamigawa ;)

Offline Drowdeviant

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
Getting warmer.

Though less Ravnica, more Kaladesh with a bit of Kamigawa ;)

Boo Kaladesh was bad! xD

Kaladesh just had police brutality. At least Ravinica had that, necromancy, and a huge ass arch demon who was always ready to party! x3

Plus Ravinica had each facet of its' society have two faces as well. After all one commonly forgets that the demon cultists of Rakdos are the same damn people who put their blood sweat and tears into building a majority of Ravinica's grand monuments and buildings...also that in Ravinica you are utterly screwed if you fuck with Orzhov because they are both the legal system, the mafia and the church in one unholy package. xD

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
 Kaladesh suffered from WotC swapping to two set blocks rather than three, less space to tell a story.

Offline Drowdeviant

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »
Kaladesh suffered from WotC swapping to two set blocks rather than three, less space to tell a story.
Very true. It had some good ideas with Aether, Aether-tech and the inventor's fair...but kinda fell flat once the rebellion started.

Though I did like the interesting character development Chandra and Nissa had in that block...especially the hints of a possibly beginning romance between the two which I found actually fairly adorable. That and Chandra actually getting more character depth beyond being an ovelry passionate pyromancer on occasion. Honestly the next block is one I'm eagerly waiting for...though I also want them to let the tragic vampire hobo king that is Sorin Markov be free. That boy has some major shit to own up to and put right on his plane, the first of which is getting back his damn sword! :3

Offline Kathyan

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »
Just realized about this, is there still room in here? ^^

Offline TheFourthShade

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
Concept:  Noble studying magic in secret

Human

Secretive, got into magic because it's forbidden.  Loves it because of how it makes her feel.
She's lithe and crafty, but it's obvious that she spends more time hitting the books than anything for exercise.

Her goal is to spread magic to the worthy and the curious, and ensure the world knows what it has lost.

Offline Snake

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 01:41:54 AM »
Interested in playing a warlock :3 (yay rule breaker, getting power from an otherworldly patron! XD)

Offline Chulanowa

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
Gotta write up a background, but basically done.

Name: Taavia Flinthoof
Race: Minotaur (Waterborne Adventures UA)
Class: Fighter
Background: Mercenary Veteran
Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1240807

Description: Taavia is a wall of a woman, standing seven feet tall, not counting her horns, and strongly-muscled. Her hair and pelt are both coal-colored, with the former often draped partly over her amber-eyed face. Her chest and hips both have a lean but proportionate roundness to them, and her legs taper down into broad cloven hooves, Behind her a tsseled tail sways lazily. When dressed for trouble, she wears a hauberk of red-lacquered chain, with a fair amount of the lacquer batted off through use. In more comfortable settings, she dresses just enough to not get thrown out of a decent inn; short breeks (or a loincloth in hot weather) and a loose tunic.

Background: Taavia's life began on the Minotaur island-nation of Kothos, born amid the squalor of a seaside shanty. Hunger and violence were early memories, but so too were the games, and the pageants, soldiers and sailors battling for rank in the arenas and marching to war against lesser nations who failed to pay tribute. Like all young Kothians, Taavia aspired ot be in their ranks - and like all young Kothians, she was conscripted at the tender age of twelve.
   For several years she learned the basics; not of combat per se, but simply of surviving combat. Living in the ranks. She learned that might is right, and that valor is the true test of character. Scars toughened her skin and muscles bolstered her swings; Before too long, she was ready to be proclaimed an adult.
   The test of adulthood in Kothos is brutal; promising young adults are paired as spatting partners. They live together, they work together, they train together... and then on the Summer equinox, before the city-state's governor, they fight together, and one of them dies alone. His name was Belthem, and despite herself, Taavia felt her heart growing strong for this young bull. She also knew very well that she could defeat him in a fight - the sparring had shown that often enough. But kill him?
   Two days before the equinox, she fled the city walls, and found passage on a trading vessel. Merchants had no use for a failed soldier though, except to batter away pirates.. .and pirates seemed ot make better money than a hired bodyguard. So began Taavia's career as a mercenary, bandit, and pirate. Each victory brings more money to her pocket and more fame to her name... but she knows someday, her homeland will learn of her cowardice... And the Kothians do not tolerate cowardice among their own.
   Most recently, the company she was with was hired at the border betweren the empire and one of the confederate kingdoms. Easy enough job, she thought. Too late did the band realize they were intended as cannon fodder to test the confederate borders; she should have died to the arrows and bldes of those elves, like her fellows. Instead she woke day later, wounds stitched and bandaged, in an elvish home. This has made things... awkward...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:36:43 PM by Chulanowa »