[Enigma Complex] Modern Mages - Based on Mage: the Ascension

Started by Wispyr, June 02, 2017, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebelle

I'm pondercating concept.

I think I am getting lost in the... book versus your game.. but I am trying!!

Wispyr

Basically... Keep the concept of magic, and do away with the numbers. Sprinkle in a little Dr. Strange / The Magicians and you've got reinterpreted Mage.

VioletPanda

Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Wispyr

VioletPanda

I happened to be up really late and saw this. I read it's based on Mage the Ascension but without the numbers. Are you still using the 9 Traditions? What all do you have so far so I don't have much overlap when I make my character?

My A/A PageMy O/Os

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Yurie on June 06, 2017, 07:32:49 PM
Question though; how exactly are you going to handle the individual Traditions? You didn't mention anything about them in the main post...
Quote from: Wispyr on June 06, 2017, 07:37:45 PM
This is one of the concepts that was more or less removed. The traditions, in game, will represent factions of mages. Like grand cabals almost. For the most part the characters will be unaffiliated with them, though they may end up working around them depending on how the game goes.

tl;dr traditions are a plot device, and not something that the characters belong to. In very basic (but also very inaccurate) terms... All PC's are Hollow Ones.

And the approved characters are here

VioletPanda

Oh, if we're all Hollow Ones I have an awesome idea for a paradigm. Heh heh- power is drawn from their reputation and what people think they can do. As an ST I used that for one of the big antagonists and it was awesome ^^.

Like, imagine all the things people say about Chuck Norris being true, because people think he's a super tough guy. Except, you know, smaller scale.

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Wispyr

Quote from: VioletPanda on June 11, 2017, 04:26:25 AM
I happened to be up really late and saw this. I read it's based on Mage the Ascension but without the numbers. Are you still using the 9 Traditions? What all do you have so far so I don't have much overlap when I make my character?
In essence the traditions will be factions inside the game - but not really player choice. Earlier I called everyone a loose approximation of Hollow Ones. Paradigm is a thing that you're welcome to incorporate into your character, so long as you're knowing that it's a thing-centric to them and not to the world at large. There were a number of elements of the game that were removed for forum simplicity and easy inclusion of those not familiar with Mage. So yea, your idea could totally work, so long as you took the magic to support it.

Intimate Ink

VioletPanda

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Xurtan

Quote from: VioletPanda on June 13, 2017, 03:00:19 AM
I'm going to look through what all was removed...

I keep debating about it, it has been eons since I've actually gone through a Mage book. :v) But eh, I figure the thread is enough of a primer and anything else isn't all that relevant in the grand scheme. I might for some extra background reading, at least.

VioletPanda

I meant I was going to read the beginning of the thread to see what all had been removed. I'm familiar with Mage and have read the books a fair amount.

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Yurie

Out of curiosity, when will we know if our character concepts have been approved?

Wispyr

I'm doing the rounds on PMs currently, but have been a bit busy today prepping for D&D tomorrow. So on the slower side. That said, just hold out for a PM from me so we can talk shop. I have glossed over your application and believe that it looks mostly good. Just some points to touch on. :D

In other news- I'll keep accepting concepts until Friday night. Once we cross over to saturday, if you haven't submitted at least something basic to me, we're going to pull forward with what we have.

Wispyr

Last day for concepts. Will lock the thread at midnight and call it good.

Thanks for interest peoples, and looking forward to seeing everyone in action!

Xurtan

VioletPanda

My A/A PageMy O/Os