You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
March 16, 2018, 11:53:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Now open for stories.
                                            ~a mentor project

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: On the rising plague of right-wing violence.  (Read 1685 times)

Online VekseidTopic starter

On the rising plague of right-wing violence.
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:43:35 PM »
For the past few years, more trans* people have been murdered than any prior year on record. It keeps going up, each year.

This fact alone directly threatens ten percent of Elliquiy's membership.

My best friend among them.

I have seen another disturbing trend, recently.

Highlighting 'left-wing' violence, while actively claiming right-wing violence is absent.

This is insulting to the victims of these crimes.

In Des Moines.

In Quebec.

In Houston.

This is only a tiny fraction.

Right-wing extremists are responsible for nearly three-quarters of extremist murders in the US. Left-wing violence makes up two percent.

The rhetoric on the right has people openly calling for genocide. counter this, we get an example of someone throwing a bike lock.

There is a point at which this blatant hypocrisy needs to be called out for what it is.

The murder of innocents is well past this point.

This has been building for decades, now. We now have populations effectively perceiving different realities. Believing different things about objective facts.

History teaches that this leads to violence. Serious violence.

We often forget how things have changed in the past.

We highlight Martin Luther King and Ghandi.

We ignore the subtle threats behind their desire for the rights they are due. 'Malcom X Day' is not a federal holiday.

The end of the last gilded age was marked with an intense rise in political activism and literacy.

And violence.

Decades after the left scored its first political victories, the United States government still saw fit at one point to bomb its own citizens.

We can hope that things will get better. That this escalation of violence will cease.

Without action, they will not.

If you would hope for peace, it is on you to fight the misinformation and disinformation that feeds this.

It begins with you, personally.

Think twice before posting that link. Verify. We could probably put together a list of decent sources.

Pick an issue close to your expertise that you can research well, and can speak strongly and authoritatively to. I chose Network Neutrality, for example.

Speak up, call out bullshit when you see it. Especially publicly, you are often not arguing for the sake of the other person, but those less certain who may be listening, watching, reading.

Your voice matters.

No raindrop blames itself for the flood.

You are not alone.

Thank you.

Online VekseidTopic starter

Re: On the rising plague of right-wing violence.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »
I split off a factless tirade to this thread.

Since I made this thread, a young woman is now dead at the hands of a Nazi sympathizer.

Who people are trying to whitewash into being 'left-wing'.

Heather Heyer deserves a remembrance, so in honor of having someone come through and try to misdirect her murder on top of other things, I thought I would link to some memorials accordingly:

The New York Times:

Heather D. Heyer died standing up for what she believed in.

Friends described her as a passionate advocate for the disenfranchised who was often moved to tears by the world’s injustices. That sense of conviction led her to join demonstrators protesting a rally of white nationalists in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday.

Fox News

Heyer’s cover photo on Facebook from Nov. 19, 2016, says, “If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heyer was a paralegal with the Miller Law Group, according to the newspaper.

“For over four years Heather has played an essential role in our bankruptcy department and office as a whole,” the law group says online. It says that Heyer was from Ruckersville, Va., but living in Charlottesville.

Huffington Post - quoting her mother:

“She always had a very strong sense of right and wrong. She always, even as a child, was very caught up in what she believed to be fair,” Bro said. “Somehow I almost feel that this is what she was born to be, is a focal point for change. I’m proud that what she was doing was peaceful. She wasn’t there fighting with people.”

I hope that this will be the last time I need to make a post like this. Somehow, I know it won't be.

Offline Cythieus

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »
I live around one of those places and I'm shocked that I didn't hear about it or any of these other things.

Offline Missy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 11:39:24 PM »
wel if Faux isn't whitewashing someone else woudl be in the business to do so I suppose.