You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 18, 2018, 04:36:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon: Dive into the Warrens. (Player looking for GM)  (Read 1025 times)

Online Lustful BrideTopic starter

My deepest condolences for soliciting aid in such a base and gutless manner, but time is of the greatest essence and I cannot delay...

As you may have heard, our great House has fallen into disrepute and growing instances of gibbering madness. An ancient evil, beyond the mortal ken, now lurks at the heart of our noble line like a spider gloating over the web-spun corpses of its victims...

Some of the heirs came to drive back this foul, unspeakable vileness from our home, but their party fell prey to the machinations set in place by the puppet monstrosities which would call themselves kings. Now, we number too few to venture forth into the dark with any hope of victory...

Such evil can only be defeated when torn out by its roots. That is why I call upon you to lend your aid in reclaiming our birthright. Wealth, medicine, redemption, secrets, a family... All are yours to claim, if you have the heart and steel to come forth and cast your gaze into the malevolent pit.

For it is, indeed, the Darkest Dungeon...

An unholy abomination has taken hold of the Wellington Manor and the Lord of the Estate has taken his own life after sending out a letter to those who were related to his line. He has unleashed something he could never truly hope to contain, in his search for the ultimate hedonistic pleasures of the flesh. Now he passes his sins on to those who share his blood, and those willing to brave madness and horrible death and dismemberment, to bring light back to the Estate and its surrounding town. Or perhaps they are just there for the rumored treasures and piles of gold, or the secret to immortality. Word has spread about what lies beneath the Wellington Estate, and its decrepit manor.

Many adventurers have lost their lives there, searching for treasure and more, and many more have died in the surrounding area to countless beings and creatures that roam the night and establish nests in various places, helping to bring ruin to the town and its inhabitants. The people do not even have the hope to flee as they are terrified of being out of the safety of their homes when the sun goes down, and others feel compelled to stay, sometimes called out to the Manor, where they then return as cultists to plague the land and seek sacrifices for their new benefactor, their new God.

The only hope to seal the evil away is a few brave heroes, and a few scoundrels and heretics alike. Saints and Sinners will be needed to fight the evil coming out from beneath the Manor. Some of them will come to redeem themselves, or uncover some secret, while others will come for their own petty reasons...or maybe just out of shear boredom. It matters not. For once they enter, madness and darkness will claim them all, just like the rest.

So while talking with my friend here on E, 'That One Dingus', we both realized our love for the Lovecraftian adventure game Darkest Dungeon and how we wanted to roleplay in the setting. But it wasn't really designed for just two characters. It needs an Adventuring party. A group of heroes brave/crazy/stupid/greedy enough to go into the darkest nightmare imaginable and come back with tons of loot! :P

I am not much for GMing as everytime I have tried I have ruined my games, but I would be okay with Co GMing it or just being an idea person :P

So anyone who feels they are skilled enough to GM this game, let me and TOD know. 

Example of a character. *Claims this one as well*

Gabriella O'Hare, The Plague Doctor
Gabriella O'Hare

BASIC INFO:
Full Name:  Gabriella Smith O'Hare.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Place of Birth: Seaside town of Dunwater, over 50 miles from the Wellington estate.
Faith: Christian but shifts between Catholic and Protestant constantly.
Sexuality: Bisexual. (Does not care if its sinful.)

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height: 5'8.
Weight: 165
Hair color: Red
Eye color: Green
General Appearance: Gabriella rarely removes her plague doctor outfit when infront of others. At most she may remove damaged portions to repair them. So she will always be seen in her Plague garments to some extent or another, sometimes with a hat, other times with her hood and an extra layer of cloth and leather to protect her from the outside world.

Faceclaim: (Only if you want to use a Real image of a real person)

ABILITIES/EQUIPMENT/OTHER

SKILLS:

Alchemy - Learning from her tutor, Gabby gained the knowledge to make several types of healing tonics and other mixtures that in the future would be known as Chemistry. Given enough time and the proper resources Gabriella can craft simple and primitive grenades, healing elixirs and other things the group may need.

Dissection Inspection: - After patching enough people back together enough times Gabby has a good enough understanding of how to take them apart. With her sword she can hit the vital organs and regions of an enemy that she understands, and if given enough time to dissect the stranger enemies the group encounters, she just might be able to find a weakness against them. Though it may not always be the case.

EQUIPMENT:

Medical bag- She carries with her a bag with all the tools necessary to fix her teammates, does anyone need a good leech treatment?

Plague Doctor's outfit- While not the most advanced equipment around, the mask and thick leather garments she wears can provide her with a measure of protection against certain poisons and toxins the group might encounter in their forays into the deep.

Weapon(s):

-Sword Cane: A strange and slightly impractical weapon that Gabby took off of a nobleman who had been stabbed by a highwayman.
Gabby liked the cane so much that she took it when she was unable to save the man. She carries it with her always and has taken care to keep it sharp. Because sometimes to save a life, one must take a life.

-Grenades Very simple devices requiring a fuse and a match to light it. If she has the proper preparation Gabby can alter her bombs or build new ones from the ground up to do different things, explode into flames or throw more shrapnel all about.

HISTORY & PERSONALITY

HISTORY: Gabriella grew up in the small fishing town of Dunwater with her mother, father and siblings. Her mother was a seamstress and her father was one of the fishermen who would set out to catch the bounties of the sea. While they weren't rich they were as happy as they could be and Gabby as the middle child was never alone, always having something to do and someone to play with. Overall her life was good, until the plague came. A ship came in, damaged from a rough voyage, and the sailors stopped to rest in town, with one of them carrying sores on his body as he went to rest at the local Inn.

The plague spread like wildfire, killing half the town's populace until it was brought under control. Gabriella lost all but her older brother, who took care of her as best as he could and keeping her safe from the disease. The rest of their family succumbed to it and were burned to help contain the spread. Luckily though, the lord of the nearby manor took pity on the two youngsters, and gave them shelter in his manor, if they would be his servants.

Gabriella's duties were to assist the Manor's doctor with anything he required. But like many in his field, the doctor was a kindly man, wizened by his age and what eh had learned on  journeys to the Holy Lands, learning the medical secrets from Muslim and Jewish healers who taught him so much. He eagerly answered any and all questions that Gabby asked, and allowed her to watch as he healed. Over the years the man began to see Gabby as a surrogate daughter, and an apprentice. As Gabriella's brother worked hard as a steward, Gabriella practiced her letters and trained her hands to sow flesh back together and push bones back into place. She learned chemical mixtures and compounds, how to spot the signs of disease and plagues.

Eventually Gabby's skills rivaled that of her Master and

PERSONALITY: Gabriella has tried to reconcile the chaos she has seen of the Plagues and many other horrible pains with her faith and by helping others as much as she can. She forces herself to smile through the worst of moment even if no one can see her smile. And when she is on task she can forget her problems and focus on healing. Seeing so much death has skewed her morals slightly and she has no problems with indulging in her lusts and taking things from the dead, despite how sinful they may be. Gabriella has seen more than enough dead corpses to last a lifetime and will fight hard to keep her teammates alive.

CHARACTER FLAWS: Grave Robber: Having see enough dead and dying people for many lifetimes, Gabriella no longer sees any problem in stripping the dead of their valuables and seem to zero in on dead bodies to search, sometimes stealing their clothes off their corpses to sell.

Lustful: Gabriella always found the male and female body to be very attractive and would spend many nights writhing in bed sweating with lust. Since she has become almost trapped in her doctor's suit her lust has only worsened and it is not uncommon to see Gabby visiting the local brothel from time to time or going to bed with someone she likes.

Fear of the Plague: Having survived the ravages of the plague and seen what it can do to others, Gabbriela has come to fear its touch, and the infection of other diseases like it, prompting her to rarely leave the safety of her Mask and her Doctor's clothes for extended periods of time, making her long for the feeling of another human's touch on her body.

CHARACTER CONNECTIONS: (Once a character is approved you may ask other players for connections and sort out how you see one another. Perhaps you came here with another adventurer, or have past history with one of the characters in the group. Feel free to work it out with other players.)

Player/Character Preferences: For this I think Gabby will prefer the stereotypical Knight in Shinning armor, but also like Women who are strong enough to give knights a run for their money. (Its the muscles,) But Gabby will have all of my Ons.

Other Character Images for inspiration:

Ursa

Lady Paladin

The Rogue.

The Thief

The Nobleman.

The Musketeer
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:21:14 PM by Lustful Bride »

Offline TheSithChicken

Re: Darkest Dungeon: Dive into the Warrens. (Player looking for GM)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
I would play in a heartbeat. This is a fantasy setup built for Elliquiy. Dark, dangerous adventure broken up by periods of debauchery to deal with stress. If this gets a gm I am game.

Offline That One Dingus

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
As LB said, I'd want in on this. I'd actually be willing to play the first Crusader who shows up, Reynauld.

Offline Prosak

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »
Well, I can gm! XD. As long as I also her to have one of the adeventurers to >_< lol. (Though I'd imagine some of my npcs would be failed adventurers or adventurers that will fail.)

Offline Remiel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:19:05 AM »
Very interesting.  I have this game, so the thought of turning it into some sort of group setting would be plausible, but I'd have to put some thought into actually how to run it.

Question, Lustful Bride--do you see this as more of a sandbox setting, or more of a GM-driven event path?

Offline Prosak

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »
Well, I would like to know what she is looking for as well. ya, good question Remiel. ^_^ . Though if I gm I think id prefer sort of an event path? Your welcome to do what you want Id just leave you guys breadcrumbs and tug you along, react to what you do. That sort of traditional GM thing just without dice. Though I must warn if I gm it would also be on the disturbing side at points. And not all monsters can be fought head on. While in the spirit of the video game there will be creatures you can just fight and kill, I cant promise you can kill everything so easily as to hit it and some will require thought. (Like a puzzle except in this case, learn it's movements, weaknesses, tactics.) Not to mention some will be gross and border line fucked up. (Will make my own creatures and horrors.) TLDR: I will play with psychological horror on you guys as a lovecraftian styled story should. There will be some mystery and even some good twist and turns if things pan out how I am imagining it right now. Just not so much it distracts from the action. (Which is important to darkest dungeon as well.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:32:31 AM by Prosak »

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »
Well, I would like to know what she is looking for as well. ya, good question Remiel. ^_^ . Though if I gm I think id prefer sort of an event path? Your welcome to do what you want Id just leave you guys breadcrumbs and tug you along, react to what you do. That sort of traditional GM thing just without dice. Though I must warn if I gm it would also be on the disturbing side at points. And not all monsters can be fought head on. While in the spirit of the video game there will be creatures you can just fight and kill, I cant promise you can kill everything so easily as to hit it and some will require thought. (Like a puzzle except in this case, learn it's movements, weaknesses, tactics.) Not to mention some will be gross and border line fucked up. (Will make my own creatures and horrors.) TLDR: I will play with psychological horror on you guys as a lovecraftian styled story should. There will be some mystery and even some good twist and turns if things pan out how I am imagining it right now. Just not so much it distracts from the action. (Which is important to darkest dungeon as well.)

Hmmm that does sound very tempting. Though I would like it if you also kept me and T.O.D. in the loop as Co GMs, where we can all decide on some things together.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:14:45 AM »
Very interesting.  I have this game, so the thought of turning it into some sort of group setting would be plausible, but I'd have to put some thought into actually how to run it.

Question, Lustful Bride--do you see this as more of a sandbox setting, or more of a GM-driven event path?

Im not really sure how this would be run as I said I am an absolutely horrible GM :/

But I guess maybe something guided by the GM but with still enough freedom for the players to improvise and pull a victory out of the worst moments if they are smart or lucky.

Offline Prosak

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:45:13 AM »
Personally I am fine with running most things by you and T and keeping you guys in the loop as co Gm's. Sure thing!

And Keeping things a bit guided but still with openness is kind of how I try to go. Give some direction but not a whole lot of it. lol.

Offline Ontan

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 02:07:14 AM »
Yes! Yes to this whole thread!

I must be on the same wavelength to a few people here, because I was this close to putting up an interest check for a Darkest Dungeon game myself – I just didn’t follow because, at the last moment, I became self-conscious about trying to GM with my terrible, terrible posting rate.

My thinking was that the game would be split into two parts:
  • The Hamlet, which was the ‘sandbox’ half of the game. GM events would take place, but it’d be to provide inspiration rather than dictate actions; players here would be given a free rein.
  • The dungeons, where the game’s ‘missions’ take place. This section would be closely controlled by the GM(s), possibly with the aid of very light dice rolls for certain randomised elements.
I was also toying with the idea of having players create a retainer / sidekick NPC of their own  to accompany their main character… the idea being they could potentially be harmed or killed off if things go horribly awry. I figured it’d be a good compromise between having fun, and capturing Darkest Dungeon’s sense of mortality and suspense. It’d also pave the way for some moral dilemmas: do you risk a valuable sidekick on a dangerous mission, or do you use a few dozen peasants as cannon fodder? Or do you risk everything to protect others, and brave the darkest dungeon in person?

I’m not necessarily forwarding any of these as suggestions – I’m mainly just posting because it’s cathartic to get it all off my chest. I invested a lot of energy in a DD game that I then didn’t run, so it’s great to see other people taking up the torch  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:18:26 AM by Ontan »

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Yes! Yes to this whole thread!

I must be on the same wavelength to a few people here, because I was this close to putting up an interest check for a Darkest Dungeon game myself – I just didn’t follow because, at the last moment, I became self-conscious about trying to GM with my terrible, terrible posting rate.

My thinking was that the game would be split into two parts:
  • The Hamlet, which was the ‘sandbox’ half of the game. GM events would take place, but it’d be to provide inspiration rather than dictate actions; players here would be given a free rein.
  • The dungeons, where the game’s ‘missions’ take place. This section would be closely controlled by the GM(s), possibly with the aid of very light dice rolls for certain randomised elements.
I was also toying with the idea of having players create a retainer / sidekick NPC of their own  to accompany their main character… the idea being they could potentially be harmed or killed off if things go horribly awry. I figured it’d be a good compromise between having fun, and capturing Darkest Dungeon’s sense of mortality and suspense. It’d also pave the way for some moral dilemmas: do you risk a valuable sidekick on a dangerous mission, or do you use a few dozen peasants as cannon fodder? Or do you risk everything to protect others, and brave the darkest dungeon in person?

I’m not necessarily forwarding any of these as suggestions – I’m mainly just posting because it’s cathartic to get it all off my chest. I invested a lot of energy in a DD game that I then didn’t run, so it’s great to see other people taking up the torch  ;D

All of that sounds absolutely amazing. Better than most of what I might come up with.  We are both in the same boat about being terrible GMs. :P

Offline Chrisking777

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »
well i'd be interested in this. not sure if i can gm as I've never done it before but willing to learn.

Offline Matthias von Rosenritter

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »
What system do you plan on using, Chris?