Post-Apocalyptic Survival, Family Matters! (Interest)

Started by MagicalPen, March 25, 2017, 12:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

The Smith Family went on an epic camping trip - 3 Months Off the Grid, deep in the mountains and woods.

It was 3 months of isolation. No phones. No internet. No cable. The log cabin was well stocked with vitals, but a lot of hunting was done to supplement their food stocks of course.

There were other locations as well, camp sites and hunter-lodges scattered throughout, so not all 3 months was spent in one place. And who could forget the crystal clear lake? Who needed to shower or bathe when you could take a dip in some of the cleanest water that there was?

How could they possibly know that the world ended while they were gone?

Driving home after the trip was a night long affair. There were seldom any cars on the road during those hours as it was, and with the rural country around them, there was no telling what had changed. Their neighborhood was half-complete, they were one of the first families to have moved in so it was always dark and always quiet (apart from when construction was going on).

At any rate, all were relieved to be home again for one reason or another - if not for comfortable beds! The world they would wake up to in the morning, however, was not the one they had come to expect!

A little end-of-the-world type of setting.

The family will have to discover and piece together what happened in their absence but they will start to notice that their hormone levels are rising, which has started to make them look at each other differently, more likely to act on their more primitive, animal-like feelings.

Ideally, these roles are filled out first:

Father - MagicalPen
Mother - Sally Aces
Son - Open
Daughter - Open

Once those roles are filled out and there is still additional interest, I would be willing to add another Daughter (or two) and son, possibly even some cousins. But I want to keep this a small, active group game!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

MagicalPen

Character Guide:

Name:
Role:
Background and Personality:
Thoughts on the Camping Trip:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Picture(s):[/b]
[b]Background and Personality:[/b]
[b]Thoughts on the Camping Trip:[/b]

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Accepted Characters:

Andrew Smith, Father

Name: Andrew Smith
Role: Father

Background and Personality: Andrew is a military brat. His father was in the military. His grandfather was in the military. His great-grandfather was in the military. For as long as anyone can trace, the Smiths have also served their country in the military. Andrew was not going to be the exception though of course not every male Smith served in the Military. Growing up, his father always took him camping whenever he could. They enjoyed being outdoors and 'surviving'.

When Andrew was in High School, he became obsessed with bushcraft and other survival skills, spending whatever free time he had, especially on the weekends, outside and in the woods. These survival skills, and familiarity with a gun, gave him an edge up when he joined the Army straight from High School. His dad made him get his High School diploma before enlisting as a fall-back but Andrew had no intention of going to college.

Military life was exactly what Andrew had thought it would be and his father had prepared him well. He excelled in almost all aspects of Basic Training and decided to to Ranger School. He had his heart set on being in the Special Forces and he  managed to pull off the rare Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces training trifecta and served overseas with Special Forces Units.

He does not talk much about his service or where he served, but he stayed in the Armed Forces for 16 years, at which time he ended his service and headed back to civilian life to start a family. He became a General Contractor, a very well paying job where he acts as a consultant to many firms in regards to security, over-seas security, global diplomacy, etc.

Thoughts on the Camping Trip: Andrew would live in the woods all of his life if he had the option. The Camping trip was quite clearly his idea and it was a much needed break from the technology-dominated life he has been living. He always knew he would go crazy working an office job after retirement from the Military so continues to spend as much time outdoors as he possibly can.

Josette, Mother -Sally Aces

Name: Josette Smith
Role: Mother / Doctor

Background and Personality: Josette has always had an agile mind and quick wit, and rose to the top of her class to the surprise of almost everyone around her. That's because she was the daughter of some passing business man and the town slut. Everyone expected her to follow in her mother's footsteps but they didn't count on her ambition and strength of will. As valedictorian of her high school class she won scholarships to a good college, including a ROTC one. She went premed and found military life agreed with her, finding it much more of a meritocracy then her hometown. This put her on a good career tract and set her up to be trained as a surgeon of impeccable skill.

In the Army, Josette learned to let her hair down and began exploring the more intimate sides of pleasure. She found she was bisexual, had an interest in role playing and costumes, but most of all loved taking risks and pushing the envelop. She also developed a 'type', she had a soft spot for strong, decisive men who were not intimidated by her. So it was fated she meet Andrew and fall for him hard. She followed him into civilian life, had a family and rose to preeminence in her field.

Thoughts on the Camping Trip: Josette loved he camping trip. It gave her an opportunity to slow down and focus on quality family time. Also, there were a few opportunities for some naughty time out in the woods with her man, so that's good too, no?

Kimberly Smith, Daughter - Wicked Emi
Name: Kimberly Smith
Role: Eldest daughter
Picture(s):

Background and Personality: Kimberly is a lot like her mother, studios and quick wit. However, she was always a 'daddy's girl' and loved the closeness she had with her father; still calling him 'daddy' to this day. A bit of a wild child when she was young, Kim learned how to sneak around, pick locks, and becoming extremely flexible while doing it. As well as manipulating almost everyone to her will, only her family knows when she is trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Even though Kim likes her fun, she is very serious when it comes to school and her future. Being the top of her class, Kim received a full scholarship to almost any college of her choice and even though both of her parent's are military, Kim decided the military life wasn't for her. Which her parents didn't mind as her brother Richard was almost a clone of their father and she got along famously with. Since she is the oldest, she tries to set good examples to her younger siblings. However, she also likes to 'teach' them that having fun is good too.

While in college, Kim learned more about herself. Since she didn't know exactly what she wanted, she took core classes her freshman year and learned that she loved the idea of becoming a hacker. Which sounds horrible, until she realized she could make a living constantly hacking social media sites...and then telling them how she did it and what they could fix.

By becoming a hacker, Kim realized a few things. Privacy wasn't a thing, almost nothing was too extreme, and hell everyone was doing that! Thus becoming more open about herself to everyone and opening herself to new experiences. The world becomes a lot less judgemental when you look in everyone's dirty closet. The only people she refuses to hack is her family.
Thoughts on the Camping Trip: Even though Kim is a 'daddy's girl', she wasn't a huge camping person. That being said, she has been away from her family a lot thanks to school. and is exciting to see them all again close together. Plus..fresh air is a good thing!

Richard, Son

Name: Richard Smith
Role: Son

Background and Personality: Richard is his fathers son. He has always wanted to be like his father and has emulated his father in almost every way. His father taught him how to shoot a gun starting from a very young age so he is quite comfortable handling them and is used to the different calibres different kicks.

He also often went on camping trips with his father growing up. He learned a lot about bushcraft himself, though with the aid of YouTube videos he was exposed to quite a few different ways and skills.

The one place he differed from his father though was with sports. He was a star Soccer Player at the local High School team, bringing them state championships three years in a row. He was offered a soccer scholarship to a Div 1 school and thankfully they have been very flexible with his decision, allowing him to wait until just before the school year starts to make it.

Richard is torn between following in the footsteps of his father or pursuing an education while playing the sport he loves. The summer was meant to allow him the time needed to make his decision. Join the Marines or go to school and joiin them 4 years later?

He was certainly no closer to making a decision than he had ever been before.

Thoughts on the Camping Trip: The trip was right up his alley of course and allowed him some solitude to think on his future. He even went off on his own for a full month to be one with nature before returning. He hasn’t shaved the entire time so is sporting quite the beard but is very eager to shave it off once home.

Hannah Smith, Twin - Honeycrisp
Name: Hannah Smith
Role: Youngest daughter and twin of Harold
Picture(s):

Background and Personality:  Seemingly the least driven and focused of the entire family, Hannah is nothing at all like any of them, even her twin brother.  She's not stupid but her intelligence lies in a different direction than anyone else and with a different focus.  Diagnosed early on with deep dyslexia, Hannah is almost totally incapable of reading or writing and has to use her phone or laptop's text to speech and speech to text features for her school work.  She has no talent or interest in sports and while she doesn't exercise she's naturally slender and flexible. Astigmatism is present in both eyes and she wears glasses.  Her family has learned to make sure they get her attention and keep it when talking to her.  Around other people she's not shy or anxious, she just doesn't communicate in a normal social fashion and misses cues.

Her closest bond is to her twin and then to her mother, but Hannah is also an introvert and has been known to forget to come out of her room for several days.  Where she excels is at visual arts and though she's never taken a course in them she has a natural, self-directed talent that spans several media.  Whenever anyone suggest she use it to make a living or a field of study for college, Hannah just smiles and lets it wash over her.  She cooks well, considering it a presentation piece, so long as she can watch a video about the recipe the first time or have it read to her, and she loves fishing, riding horses, and being outside with the family. 

She's never been interested in dating anyone but has gone on dates set up by her brothers and sisters and friends though she usually forgets to call them back or gets her head in her art again and ignores them until they give up and move on.  So far as anyone in the family knows she's a virgin though her twin knows that's not entirely true...

Thoughts on the Camping Trip: Can I bring my colors and pencils?  I can?  Okay then, let's go.  Hannah really looked forward to the opportunity to draw and sketch and paint new things and spend time collecting oddities that struck her as pretty or interesting to use in her art, something like a human magpie.  She brought her digital camera and lots of SD cards and her old round click wheel style iPod, all retro to her, along with a roll up solar charging screen that her parents provided so she could listen to music while she worked on her art or just stood out in the rain smiling at the feel of it.  She is excited to get back home though to dump all of her memories onto the touch screen Mac and sort them out so she can get some serious creativity going.

Harold, Twin

Name: Harold Smith
Role: Twin

Background and Personality: Harold hates his name. It sounds old fashioned, like it belongs in the middle ages, so he prefers to be called Harry. That sounds much more royal, especially these days. He would rather sound Royal than Medieval. Harry always keeps an eye out for his twin. They've done everything together their whole lives and while she may have a 'disability' it doesn't impair her at all but it does make her a target for bullies. While he is nothing like his father or older brother, he does stand up for his twin and won't back down from a fight if things get that way.

Harry has more in common with his older sister when it comes to hobbies. He is a computer geek and knows everything there seems to be to know about electronics. Where his older sister likes to hack - he knows how to do so too, and even had her share some of her college courses with him just for the information - he is more about the mechanical side of things. Collectively, if they teamed up, they could probably build and program a robot! At least, those are his dreams and a boy can only dream these days!

Thoughts on the Camping Trip: He hated the camping trip. Being disconnected from the grid for so long was like going through a drug withdrawal for him. He couldn't wait to get home. Luckily, he had his twin with him, which took the edge off of things...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Quite a few views but no response?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sally Aces

Come on guys... think a naughty version of the 100 or Evil Dead

Wicked Emi

MagicalPen

Probably a post a week at its slowest, post as you can at its fastest. Small group, so easy to adjust.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Honeycrisp

I'm interested in the role of the daughter.  I will get a character proposal sent in later today for consideration.

MagicalPen

I am certainly not opposed to having 2 daughters in this.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Honeycrisp

I'm sorry.  Emi was first I just didn't realize it.  I'll step back and best of luck.

MagicalPen

No, no - its perfectly fine! Like I said, additional characters are welcome and having 2 daughters helps round things out nicely.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sally Aces

Yes, please, both of you apply. It will flesh out the game nicely. The more the merrier.

Also, I'm open to discussing the relationship Dr. Momma has with her girls, either here or PMs.

Honeycrisp

Thank you. I really didn't realize it but if you are all okay with it then I will work on a character idea.

What age range do you think the daughters should fall into?

I asked Emi in PM about her character so I don't accidentally duplicate anything or step on her ideas, and I'm very open to any sort of dynamic you want to talk about, Sally.  (:

MagicalPen

That I will leave open to you to decide, but it would be nice for a slight gap between them so there can be an older/younger brother.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sally Aces

We have to keep site rules in mind, but one of the daughters could be the baby of the bunch so be 16. I'm thinking the earliest Josette started having kids was 27, so the oldest could be 22 and the youngest kid 16 so that leaves a bit of a swing (especially if there are twins involved - Fraternal or Identical, either could be fun).

As a Mom, I think Josette would be (with her military background) loving, firm, a touch strict but fair. She may have a favorite but she isn't obvious about it. She expects her kids to be self sufficient, smart, and doing their best to excel at whatever they take on as important to themselves, but doesn't need her kids to follow in her or their father's footsteps. So being more musical, artistic, entrepreneurial, religious etc is all good. She's even ok with letting your freak flag fly (within reason). The only thing she will not tolerate is laziness of any sort (Physical, mental, etc)

I don't think Josette's particularly religious, oh, and her side of the family is of French descent. So she speaks it and would teach it to her kids. You don't have to have learned it well, but she wanted to expand everyone's horizons. For hobbies, I'm thinking she's into Swimming, Karoke and movies.

Honeycrisp

I'm fine with playing the youngest daughter, unless Emi really wants it.

Sally Aces

I'm thinking you can snag that spot, Honeycrisp, or, share your concept/face claim and lets start hashing things out about history and family dynamics. Age order can be the last thing we discuss. Sound cool?

Honeycrisp

Wicked Emi

Are face claims done for dad and mom? I haven't seen them and I'm just waking up.

I'm cool playing whichever age ^.^

MagicalPen

The Accepted Characters shows what we have so far as far as looks.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sally Aces

Quote from: Honeycrisp on April 02, 2017, 12:39:00 PM
Yes, Mom. (:

Good girl, sweetie

Quote from: Wicked Emi on April 02, 2017, 12:42:02 PM
Are face claims done for dad and mom? I haven't seen them and I'm just waking up.

For Mom/Josette I went with Marie Clarence

Wicked Emi

Sally Aces

MagicalPen

So the father has darker hair while the mother has lighter colored hair. Don't be too concerned trying to find some one that matches what  their child could possibly look like. Go with someone you'd be interested in playing - just make sure you PM her to me so I can approve and post!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Wicked Emi

Quote from: MagicalPen on April 02, 2017, 01:58:36 PM
So the father has darker hair while the mother has lighter colored hair. Don't be too concerned trying to find some one that matches what  their child could possibly look like. Go with someone you'd be interested in playing - just make sure you PM her to me so I can approve and post!
I have a vault of girls I have used, haven't used, and will maybe use one day o.o
I just wanted to make sure my girl looks at least a little like the parents ^.^
Almost done with my sheet :D