You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

April 24, 2018, 05:40:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: ~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~  (Read 8062 times)

Offline BlytheTopic starter

~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~
« on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »
This is a thread specifically to chat about the Word of the Day! You can come leave a little positive feedback for people here or ask questions, if you have them, about the Word of the Day!

Go nuts.  ;)

If you are approved and have completed a Word....
...then you are eligible to use one of these lovely signature images for your signature. Please only use them if you completed a Word of the Day.

Pink:

Red:

Orange:

Yellow:

Green:

Blue:

Purple:

Neutral:

Dark themed:

Tag Specific:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:11:06 PM by Blythe »

Offline Hyacinth

Re: ~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
Yay to KS being the first responder! I really loved your response. You're pretty nifty at describing the setting. I was super impressed. :)

Offline Ariel

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:40:04 AM »
I am so excited to see everyone's entries!! I will be eagerly stalking, so please please please post ;)

Offline Jag

• Liege - They/Them Pronouns - Alpha Raptor - Murdoc - Scully - Spooder Jag - Skitter Bug - Little Nightmare
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • We're indestructible, even when we're tired.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 20
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »
This is a wonderful idea and I hope to participate soon. ^^

KS, your response is very well done.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »
All righty, I took a stab at the Word for today! 'Lief' is a hard word--I struggled with it a lot. ^^

Offline King Serperior

• Elliquiy's First Case of CYOA Addiction ~ Most Complicated Character Creator ~ King of the Futanari ~ Caretaker of Monster Girls ~ Please call me KS ~ Biggest Starcraft Fan ~ .jpg Deity ~ Muse Maestro ~ Biggest Monster Musume Fan ~ Emperor of Titles
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Thanks, and thanks again!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
Yay to KS being the first responder! I really loved your response. You're pretty nifty at describing the setting. I was super impressed. :)
KS, your response is very well done.
Thanks for your compliments!   :D

All righty, I took a stab at the Word for today! 'Lief' is a hard word--I struggled with it a lot. ^^
I think you did quite well, Bly. I have to agree that 'Lief' was a hard word.  I don't think I've had as much trouble with a word before!

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
I think you both did an excellent job. As soon as I read the word, it put me in the mind of a historical type setting as well. ^_^

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
This is a wonderful idea and I hope to participate soon. ^^

I just wanted to say that I look forward to seeing what you write when you feel ready <3

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
This is a great idea for the Non-Adult section and I'm hoping we see some of new members here, too.

I might even find the motivation post something myself. :-)

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
This is a great idea for the Non-Adult section and I'm hoping we see some of new members here, too.

I might even find the motivation post something myself. :-)

Thank you, BeMi! <3

And of course, you are always welcome to post something should you wish to, that would be absolutely lovely.  :-)

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
Commenting on mioyumyum's writing today!

Thank you for participating! I love the twist you did for Clark Kent about the whole flying thing, the idea that Superman's powers are totally different than the comics! Great twist, neat genre take on it. :)

Offline King Serperior

• Elliquiy's First Case of CYOA Addiction ~ Most Complicated Character Creator ~ King of the Futanari ~ Caretaker of Monster Girls ~ Please call me KS ~ Biggest Starcraft Fan ~ .jpg Deity ~ Muse Maestro ~ Biggest Monster Musume Fan ~ Emperor of Titles
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:30 PM »
Now that was an interesting twist, mioyumyum, and I like interesting twists in writing!  Great work!

Offline mioyumyum

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
Commenting on mioyumyum's writing today!

Thank you for participating! I love the twist you did for Clark Kent about the whole flying thing, the idea that Superman's powers are totally different than the comics! Great twist, neat genre take on it. :)

Now that was an interesting twist, mioyumyum, and I like interesting twists in writing!  Great work!

Thank you guys for being a great encouragement!  Mio

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
Commenting on Jagerin's writing today!

I like this use of the word 'lief'---you were going more for that eerie vibe, emphasizing the 'soon' definition! I think you really did well utilizing the horror genre. It made me want to know about what the entity is that was showing up at the man's house & why it was showing up each night!  :-)

Offline Jag

• Liege - They/Them Pronouns - Alpha Raptor - Murdoc - Scully - Spooder Jag - Skitter Bug - Little Nightmare
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
Aw, thank you, Bly. I love writing horror and I don't feel like I do it often enough anymore.

Offline Nico

• #FAmily - Mulder - Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. #NSFShades #EclipseTwin - Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #BlameMads #Coffee #IWantToBelieve
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »
I don't know if it is alright to post here but please delete it if it's not appropriate.

I was thinking about trying to write in the Word of the Day thing, but I am really not certain if I am welcome.

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 01:26:15 AM »
I don't know if it is alright to post here but please delete it if it's not appropriate.

I was thinking about trying to write in the Word of the Day thing, but I am really not certain if I am welcome.

It is absolutely okay to post here, and you would be most welcome to join in, Nic. Anyone can participate here. :)

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 04:55:43 AM »
+1

Anyone can post here. :)

Offline Caedy

• ~ Keeper of the Plot Bunnies ~ Delightfully Devious ~ Vibrant Visionary ~ #Terribad ~ #NeverToBlame ~ Addicted to Words ~ Tea vs. Coffee ~ Sinfully Sweet ~ More innocent than Nic #Always
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Naughty. Nerdy. Pansexual.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
So, for the word of the day, are all words up for grabs that have been posted thus far? :D Inquiring minds and all.  Also...Nic, you should so write!  *nodnod*

Offline Nico

• #FAmily - Mulder - Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. #NSFShades #EclipseTwin - Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »
Inquiring minds and all.  Also...Nic, you should so write!  *nodnod*

I'll see if I am comfortable enough to write something. :-)

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
All words (past and current) are viable options. :-)

Offline King Serperior

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
I'm loving the newest writings so far.  Jag, Maverick, and Nic:  You all wrote amazing works.  Very enjoyable indeed.  ^.^

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
Oooh, more things to comment on!

Some commentary MaverickKane's piece:

This was such a tragic piece--given a lot of news I've read online about some flooding areas in the past, it really resonated with me emotionally. You worked in the Word really well, and I feel that you let it really guide the subject of your writing. This was overall very well done!

And some commentary for Nicholas's piece:

What an intriguing piece! I found myself increasingly curious about the exact circumstances surrounding Sebastien and what brought him to this psychiatrist, though of course there's some info there, but it left me wondering more! The word was integrated in a delightfully subtle way at the end. I also think that you did marvelously playing with the sense of sound--the ticking of the clock, Sebastien's breathing, interplaying with the dialogue.

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »
Thank you.

And now the new word makes me want to write some more about Sebastien and the Doctor. ~snickers~

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »
I was surprised by their selection. There are a lot of angles you can take with that word. :)

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
More feedback for some really great pieces written! :)

Nicholas wrote a continuation of his first piece, dealing with Sebastien and his psychiatrist. I gotta say that I was very excited to see the character of Sebastien pop up again. The WotD, 'nightmare,' was integrated very well and made perfect sense with this selection. I get a villainous vibe from the psychiatrist, that he is steering Sebastien down a dark path, and I liked that Sebastien's demeanor about whatever occurred with his sister has clearly changed by the end of this piece. This is a good example of 'show, don't tell' in writing that makes a reader want to see more. Great work, Nic!

Onward now to Bloomsky's writing! The word was 'restrospective!' I think the word was used well; I was surprised to see it used early in the piece, and I think it set a good investigative tone. I like Kayla's personality; she seems like a strong no-nonsense type in a very high-stress situation. The end of this particular selection had me wondering about the exact events surrounding the explosion (well, sort of an explosion? That was one of the possibilities for the way the massacre was done) she was investigating--curiosity in a good way, of course! Thanks for sharing some of your writing with us, Bloomsky!

We have two selections from Jazra! The first piece uses the word retrospective, and it used a genre I wasn't expecting! Urban fantasy with some delicious Viking mentions in there--I really enjoyed that. The genre of fantasy is one that is a particular favorite of mine to read. I also think that you described the scene really evocatively--the description of Aasa's eyes was really well written: "a green the color of a naughty child transformed into a tadpole and now sunning on a lily pad." That's an image that sticks with a reader!

For Jazra's second piece, the word was "Occam's razor." I think that is a particularly tricky one to use, being as specific as it is, but this piece handled it well. I like that this is a continuation of the first piece--Ebby and Aasa have some great back-and-forth with their dialogue. Well done!

Offline Jazra

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »
I'm thoroughly enjoying the postings both literary and the actual word of the day. Transpicuous was a new word for me and while lief wasn't strictly speaking new, I did better appreciate it's definition. I also appreciated the compliments bestowed by Blythe on my writing. I am shocked by the real quality of writers that have gathered here on Elliquiy. I knew it when I was here before, but after taking an eighteen month or so break and coming back, you really appreciate what a really special set of people gather here for literary fun.

Offline Oreo

• Centurion ~Clotho~ ~ALWAYS HUGGABLE~ Doddering Ailurophile ^_^
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • You little rebel...I like you.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
I love the twists you throw into what appears to be an any old kind of day interaction, Jazra. The conversation was as vivid as watching a scene play out. Your character were very alive.

I didn't know the word either. ; )

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 05:10:51 AM »
Allow me to echo the praise given by everyone else. I'm really enjoying reading the duo, Jazra. I'm excited to read the next installment. ^_^

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
Yet another awesome post, Jazra! :)

While Raven took off on her black bicycle decorated with a silver skull on the handle bars, Aasa got in a fight with the museum staff over her Sweeper Swiffer. Someone had mistakenly returned the faux broom from lost and found to the janitorís closet.

This cracked me up tremendously.

Offline Oreo

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
How very evil of you Marek. I love reading all these little tales that totally draw me into the story.

Offline Jazra

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
So much fun reading and enjoying the word of the day posts. Again, a word that is completely new to me. And I have a little pride in my vocabulary, but Iíve never heard of vaticination. I loved Theta Sigmaís post. I very much sympathized with her protagonist and could easily see myself somewhat pretentiously correcting this obvious error. It also made me curious about the Doctor. Heís reflected on the girl being human, which raises a lovely question in my mind. Then Beautiful Mystery followed up with a word of the day tour de force. Perpended, another knew word to me, but very much a good one to know. I want to know what happens now when and if this woman does go to the zoo. Did she have a genuine vaticination or just a nightmare? And then I got to enjoy Marek's illustration of Marc and Meghan. I love the alliteration of their two names, but I really like how when she reads the old shopís sign, it reads differently than Marc. Marek did an excellent job of making me feel distasteópretty strong at thatófor Marc, without clubbing me over the head. Each line as I grew to know him better and I almost think I know Marc for better than Meghan at this point, you nudged my (hatredís too strong Ö yet) growing disgust for Meghanís beau another notch upward on the disgust meter.

Offline Caedy

• ~ Keeper of the Plot Bunnies ~ Delightfully Devious ~ Vibrant Visionary ~ #Terribad ~ #NeverToBlame ~ Addicted to Words ~ Tea vs. Coffee ~ Sinfully Sweet ~ More innocent than Nic #Always
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 05:45:56 AM »
I am seriously enjoying reading these!  I need to get off my toosh and write one at some point.  Seriously, my writing is all sorts of rusty!  Must.  Work.  On.  That. 

I am loving Jazra's pieces...Ebby and Aasa are definitely two of my favorites to read thus far. 

Nic's psycho....always a pleasure to read and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him here as well. 

Theta Sigma's made me smile...because who doesn't love the Doctor.

That tour de force from BeMy was absolutely wonderful. 

Definitely look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with next :D

Offline Beautiful Mystery

• Beautifully Mysterious Woman ♔ The Caroline Channing to Sofia's Max Black
  • On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • There is a wild side behind this innocent face ;)
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 34
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
Then Beautiful Mystery followed up with a word of the day tour de force. Perpended, another knew word to me, but very much a good one to know. I want to know what happens now when and if this woman does go to the zoo. Did she have a genuine vaticination or just a nightmare?

Stay tuned for the next episode! No, but seriously I thought of a nightmare and at first I wanted it to be funny and then I was like, wait, it needs to be a nightmare... >.< I am pretty sure that would scare the crap out of anyone.

Thank you though Jazra and Caedy!

Theta Sigma, I loved the "You spelled vaccination wrong" because honestly, it does look that way. That made me snicker. :P

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »

Nic's psycho....always a pleasure to read and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him here as well. 

Thank you! He's certainly one of the most complex, difficult and challenging characters I have ever written.  XD

Offline King Serperior

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
I just wanted to say that I have been loving the amazing writings I have seen so far.  I'm not through reading with half of them yet, but what I have seen has been impressive.  You are all wonderful artists with your words that I look forward to every new snippet and scene in the WotD.   ;D

Offline Jazra

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »
I just wanted to say that I have been loving the amazing writings I have seen so far.  I'm not through reading with half of them yet, but what I have seen has been impressive.  You are all wonderful artists with your words that I look forward to every new snippet and scene in the WotD.   ;D

I've had the same reaction. This is a wonderful spot to stretch your writing skills. I'm also learning many new words. Love Crozak the Unbelievable, I've never encountered a Tiefling in fiction before, but I've heard of them. I stopped updating my D&D rulebooks after the 3rd Edition, which probably dates me. He reminds me a bit of the Ferengi from Star Trek, but with better social skills and a more colorful presentation. He has nice vocabulary too ;)

Offline King Serperior

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
Glad you liked him, Jazra.  He was quite fun to write and more challenging than I originally thought when I first envisioned the scene.  I think Crozak might make future appearances here, or at least cameos.   ;)

I think I've managed to use most of the Words of the Day.  I'll have to sit down and figure out the rest of them.  *nods*

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »
Just so folks don't think the definition for today is accidental...

Did You Know?

It's likely that when you hear the verb defile, what comes to mind is not troop movements but, rather, something being contaminated or desecrated. That more commonly encountered homograph of defile, meaning "to make unclean or impure," dates back to the 15th century and is derived from the Anglo-French verb defoiller, meaning "to trample." Today's word, on the other hand, arrived in English in the early 18th century. It is also from French but is derived from the verb dťfiler, formed by combining dť- with filer ("to move in a column"). Dťfiler is also the source of the English noun defile, which means "narrow passage or gorge.

That's on Merriam Webster. ^_^

Offline King Serperior

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »
Just so folks don't think the definition for today is accidental...

Did You Know?
I actually didn't know!  I have to say I did a double-take on that word!  I'll have to see what I can do with it when I get the chance to write here again.   ;D

(Out of practice, but this was a great exercise, and fun!)
For someone who says they're out of practice, you wrote quite the scene.  It was enjoyable and I can't wait to see what you might come up with with future words.   :-)

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Lol I did a double take as well. I thought I was going crazy.

Offline Ceralilly

• Unofficial Hiatus except for SINS Academy- PM for questions regarding SINS ACADEMY.
  • Dame
  • Seducer
  • Location: Unofficial Hiatus for all but SINS Academy- will be back once my muse returns. :-)
  • Recently diagnosed with MS. Adjusting. Loveuall!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »
For someone who says they're out of practice, you wrote quite the scene.  It was enjoyable and I can't wait to see what you might come up with with future words.   :-)

KS...thank you SO much. YOU have made my day. Also my fragile little muse is quite excited haha!

Xo

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »
Time for lovely feedback for those who were kind enough to take the Word of the Day challenge! The first thing that I want to emphasize is that I'm pretty blown away by the overall writing quality everyone is displaying right now! Wow! <3

(Note: I wrote these reviews in order and read things chronologically, writing a review after reading one entry, then moving on to the next)

Now...onward to feedback!  ;D

Jazra wrote this piece! I was excited to see Ebby return. I liked the WotD usage here--I felt like transcipcious really substitutes in well for words like 'transparent,' and the usage here was really clever. I think readers would easily be able to pick up the meaning of the Word from the scene's context even if they were unable to look up the definition, and that's a sign of a word used well! Also, the grandfather's description really sticks out--so tall!

Now...another selection from Jazra! Ooh. Will this be a sort of ongoing miniseries with recurring characters? If so, I'm excited! Good use of the word, but I must admit that it was overshadowed by the delightful humor of Aasa and her Sweeper Swiffer and the travails of enchanting an Uber driver. <3

I come now to Theta Sigma's writing! I was struck by the really fun formatting here--it drew my gaze and got my attention immediately. I think that's really one of the fun things about writing online--being able to play with formatting like that. :-) I liked how the Word vaticination was worked in here--with someone correcting another person reading it wrong! There must be a fun metafiction element to doing a challenge about daily definitions and providing the Word of the Day's definition in-character--made me grin. Great dialogue, too--flowed very fast!

Beautiful Mystery's selection has tackled multiple words! I was taken aback at first, but it really did work! I really like how nightmare was worked into the dialogue--not actively defined, yet with the scene's context, easy for anyone to figure out. Great use of perpended, as well! This was a good entry, though hoo boy, nightmares about jaguars. Let's hope the woman's nightmare isn't a vaticination for her pending zoo trip!

More things to read, woot! Taking a look at Marek's writing! I'm pretty blown away by this selection in particular--I think this was a really stellar example of using vaticination in so many ways--as inspiration for the scene, worked into a title, clearly as a plot element! Great stuff all around! Meghan and Marc were both interesting, but I must admit that it is Louise who drew my attention with her fortune telling and tea! This selection gave me the feeling of being the first page of a novel, and that made it really exciting to delve into.  ;D

Woooooo <3 More Jazra! The humor in this is ridiculously good. Write me a book dammit!   The joke about how to spell perfect had me laughing so hard. I liked that this entry incorporated multiple Words as well--I must admit that I liked the use of brachiating best because of that Tarzan imagery that went along with it.

Coming now to King Serperior's writing! Such a carnival vibe in the beginning! And I have to admit that this particular selection appealed to me because of the strong D&D fantasy elements--always a favorite of mine. Multiple words used in this entry as well--exciting! I felt like gimcrack got used really well here. I can't explain why (just can't find the words!), but for some reason I feel like the word 'gimcrack' just went so well with a main character like Crozak the Unbelievable! I loved the legend of the character, the idea that he's just so infamous that people just groan when he's in the marketplace, heh!

Ceralilly has written this! Ooh, another new face to the Word thread! And yay, more fantasy genre! I especially loved the way that the stone of Azurai was described--so beautiful! But what fascinated me most--a historical fantasy? I noticed it was a sleepy French town, and that got me all excited, because I do not get to read much historical fantasy, and this became all the more interesting because of it! I think the Word was used pretty well here, especially given the nature of what the stone of Azurai seems to be. Great job!

More from Jazra! I really look forward to seeing these selections. <3  Great use of gimcrack, and I think Ebby and Aasa's dialogue is just to die for. Ebby's just so dry and sarcastic; I adore the character!

Woot! Another one from Marek! Good use of cloying here! I thought the usage was quite subtle; it's a very delicate way to work it in, but I think it goes well. I cannot help but wonder what would have happened to poor Rob had he chosen LA instead of NYC! At first, it was humorous how he fell...and then the tone of the tale shifted to something different. This was exceptional work, I feel. If I read this right, Rob actually died when he fell, right? So his bus is sort of taking him to the afterlife? I thought that was a pretty fascinating sort of tale.

Lastly in my list of feedback & reviews is this piece by Merry Gentry! Yay, multiple Words of the Day again! Aww, I felt so bad for the character being stuck on that throne--I can only imagine how bad one's back would hurt. Thrones might look regal, but I can't imagine any chair being comfortable after sitting in it all day! I got so curious why her father would want her to become a good ruler--this piece had all the hallmarks of hooking a reader by leaving details unknown and making me wanting to know them!

Offline Ceralilly

• Unofficial Hiatus except for SINS Academy- PM for questions regarding SINS ACADEMY.
  • Dame
  • Seducer
  • Location: Unofficial Hiatus for all but SINS Academy- will be back once my muse returns. :-)
  • Recently diagnosed with MS. Adjusting. Loveuall!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
I am so surprised! I wasnt expecting a review and I am quite giddy. I have recently been drawn to the historical aspect of fantasy settings. Thank you Blythe. I'll be back! *happy dance*

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
And because I thought this word might need further explanation...here's an explanation from the dictionary.

Did you know?

In nautical use, alow means "in or to a lower part of the vessel," indicating the deck or the area of the rigging closest to the deck, or below-deck as opposed to above-deck. The opposite of alow in this sense is aloft, used to indicate a higher part of the vessel especially around the mastheads or the higher rigging. Yet, while we are still likely to encounter aloft, in both nautical and non-nautical use, alow has become something of a rarity. When encountered, it is usually found in the combination "alow and aloft." This phrase literally refers to the upper and lower parts of a ship or its rigging, but it can also be used, as in our second example sentence, to mean "completely" or "thoroughly."

Offline Jazra

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
And because I thought this word might need further explanation...here's an explanation from the dictionary.

Great additional information Flower. I rewrote my own piece based on this information. Whether I hit the mark this time is another issue, but at least, I have a better understanding of the origin and meaning of alow.

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 12:05:27 AM »
I return with more comments!

I started out reading something of Marek's today. This one caught me a bit off-guard. I wasn't expecting the word to be used this way, right at the end and in dialogue. It was very interesting, too, how the definition of the word really guided the tone of this selection. I found myself curious as to why Berta would hate Stacy. Overall, I liked this. I craved more details about these people, though--I wonder what spending the day with that job assignment having to flack would end up being like!

Ah, another selection from Nicholas, woot!.Ooh, crime vibe. Angelo's certainly interesting, and the word was used well here, but I think the superstar of this particular piece was the description and scenery. There was a seedy sort of element that really comes through and gives this the gritty tone one would expect from crime fiction. Loved it!

More from Jazra now! Continuing the adventures of Aasa and Ebby! I found myself feeling sympathetic for that poor Uber driver--clearly not prepared to be face to face with Gymir. Although to be fair, Gymir's 6'8" of raw Viking. Most Uber drivers probably wouldn't hold up well.  ;D Nice word use at the end, but for me, Gymir's appearance really dominated the selection along with Ebby's shapeshifting. Made for quite a lot of entertainment!

Offline Jazra

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 02:17:19 AM »
Love the opening of Ceralillyís piece, because it set the scene so well. I too wasnít looking up as I focused on this sleepy little French town. Then thanks to the narrator, Iím one of the lucky few whose eyes cast her gaze up to see that flicker of cloak whip along a museumís edge. I also find the real focus of this paragraph isnít the hapless passerbyes, but in my mind perhaps the museum. And Iím not misled Ö a theft! Fun little piece, very enjoyable to read. I also found Marekís piece about Rob intriguing. I read it twice. The first time focusing on the story, but then it shifted from a slice of life into something a bit more without giving anything away. Itís then I wanted to go back and appreciate your development of the story knowing where my journey was going. As for Merry Gentryís story of a young girl learning to rule, I found it heavy with foreshadowing and it left me eager to know more. I suspect she will find herself ruling in truth much earlier than she anticipates.

And then Nicholas! I like dark noir stories with damaged men who never turn down money and the fat greasy pigs who pay them. Throw in a curvaceous stripper dancing in the background and Iím grabbing some pillows and curling up to read more. Gosh! This is the joy and tease of a thread like Word of the Day as its done here. I get teased by these beautiful stories that leave me wickedly curious to know more. And I struggle with exactly how to use some of these new words. Thankfully, hyperbole is the next one to come up and I consider myself the absolute master when it comes to that particular words, Iím sure Iíve used it a hundred billion times, 99.99 % of the time nearly correctly.

I'm looking forward to writing my next segment in Aasa and Ebby's story. I already have an idea how I'll use that word. It may not come tomorrow as I am going to a Passover Seder and will be struggling with an entirely different set of unfamiliar words.

Below is Ebby this evening. He's not happy that I took his picture,

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:42:22 AM by Jazra »

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »
Thank you, Blythe and Jazra! :-)

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
@Marek: So I read your 'flack' piece and it reminded me so much of office culture. I feel for poor Berta. Believe it or not, I found myself most interested in the boss and Carlo. I wouldn't mind seeing another piece of this office environment. :)

@Nicholas: I enjoyed reading about Angelo as well. I like the sense of tradition in this piece along with the kind of disenchantment with it. It's almost as if our main character is tired but not quite willing to step away. I really enjoyed your descriptions as well. It allowed me to clearly see the surroundings and smell the smoke laden air.

@Majere Dreavan: I love the premise you are working with, even though it sounds excruciatingly boring for the character. For whatever reason, the last sentence made me chuckle as well.

@Jazra: You already know I love the marvelous adventure of Aasa and Ebby. :) Ebby is gorgeous too!

Offline Rebelle

• An unwished upon star, a dream unfulfilled || Rebbie || Regret's BB | Codexa is my Writing Wife | His Sleep Siren | Reap What You Sow
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Wait.. My give a damn broke, Sorry.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 01:22:08 AM »
This seemed like an amazing thing to do... So I had to throw my hat in - and had been working on something in my head all night at work!  It was definitely a nice little exercise in writing to get the brainmeats going for sure.  Definitely a good thing to have around here for folks :)

Everyone's writing for this has been amazing to read to be quite honest.

Offline King Serperior

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying each piece of writing everyone has been posting.   ;D

@Rebelle's post:  Simply amazing work!  I really loved the way you set the scene and individualized the characters.  The ending in particular made me want to know what would happen in the next few seconds.  I can't wait to see more from you.  Thanks for joining in the WotD fun!

@Jazra's post:  I haven't said this earlier, but I have been following Ebby's antics and can I just say that I love what you've done?  Ebby's quite entertaining and is also a rather adorable-looking grumpy cat, judging by the picture.  I can't wait to see what sort of trouble and adventures Ebby gets into next.

Offline Rebelle

• An unwished upon star, a dream unfulfilled || Rebbie || Regret's BB | Codexa is my Writing Wife | His Sleep Siren | Reap What You Sow
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
Thank you for your kind words KS,  I have to say while I love all the writing you have done.... the first one made me giggle a lot as I'm like "wait... wait is this..."  And I kept reading and then was like "haha haha it totally is Dresdenverse".  Absolutely loved it... And I want to see more.  :D

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »
I'll be running through later tonight to offer some more commentary on the newer selections written. :)

On a cheery note, I really like the word 'widdershins' in general. One of my favorite writers, Terry Pratchett, had this amazing comedic fantasy bookseries, the Discworld series, and 'widdershins' was actually a sort of cardinal direction in the series, because their world was flat.

Offline King Serperior

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Thank you for your kind words KS,  I have to say while I love all the writing you have done.... the first one made me giggle a lot as I'm like "wait... wait is this..."  And I kept reading and then was like "haha haha it totally is Dresdenverse".  Absolutely loved it... And I want to see more.  :D
I'm glad you enjoyed that one, Rebelle!  I was actually rereading one of my favorite books in the series and it inspired me to write in the setting.  ^_^

Who knows, I may write something else in the Dresdenverse, but I'm enjoying the fantasy setting I'm writing in currently.

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
@Rebelle: I had forgotten how exceptionally well you weave a story. I was drawn in from the first word and I could feel the tension beating within the piece, even before you introduced us to the young woman awaiting a chance to strike. It was a lovely first contribution to the thread and I am eager to read more.

@Jazra: What a turn of events! Truly, you surprised me! I enjoyed this twist and liked to learn more of our witty and beloved Aasa's past.

@Nicholas: I enjoyed your piece as well. In fact, it put me in the mind of Downton, likely due to me watching a great deal of it lately. I love the relationship between nobles and servants though. Its complexity is a marvel to watch unfold and you tackled that in your piece. I also like your description of the room. How a place that might have been fill of life and energy earlier in the evening was now a place of silence, reflection, and maybe even discomfort for the lone indivdual.

Offline Rebelle

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 01:28:54 AM »
@Rebelle: I had forgotten how exceptionally well you weave a story. I was drawn in from the first word and I could feel the tension beating within the piece, even before you introduced us to the young woman awaiting a chance to strike. It was a lovely first contribution to the thread and I am eager to read more.

Thank you for the kind words you're gonna make me blush - and I think our young woman may definitely be making another appearance rather soon :)  It just kind of flowed through, funny how that kind of happens huh?  It just...was there.. if that makes sense

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2017, 02:24:35 AM »
It makes perfect sense. 💝

Offline Jazra

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
Loved Marekís short piece about an advertising agency. I so felt for Berta. Iíve been there when traffic keeps you from being on time. Hate it! And interesting to see the dishing out of the roles to various people. Never done anything in advertising, but this had a nice morning office meeting feel. And Iíve done plenty of those office meetings in the past.

Nicholas. Forbidden Desires, it left my feeling like Iíd just walked onto the set of a horror film and as the tension built, I was looking to run, not walk off. Iím not sure if thatís the feeling Nicholas meant to inspire, but it built as he slowly added additional detail without really revealing anything. But thatís the strength of horror, the nervous fear comes from what you donít know and the little details you think you know. But I do love Nicholasís writing. Iíve started peaking at some of his other more lengthy examples.

Iíd write more, but Iím doing taxes today. And waiting to hear back about my transmission (it went out). Love the compliments from Blythe and Flower. It definitely encourages me to keep developing this story. Of course, the joy of a story like this where you do no real planning in advance, is each new piece is a bit of fun discovery for me. I read a news article about a skeleton that was originally thought to be of a Viking Queen named Aasa, but later the archeologist decided she might just be a wise woman. Then I saw my cat cross my path for water and I was watching the first few episodes of a arguably not great show called Lucifer. But now the story has taken on a life of its own and wandered from my original inspiration.

Love this thread and everyone who contributes. Great community event.

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
While I am late, I have returned to review more of the writing!

Today I begin with a selection written by Majere Dreavan! I have not seen Majere write here in this thread before, so welcome, Majere! This was an interesting piece--first person perspective, and it was a diary, so I got an epistolary novel vibe immediately. I've always felt that this style is under-appreciated, so I was excited to see that you chose the format you did. Interesting sort of entry--I wondered at how much rain the world was getting when I read your piece. I also liked how you used the Words, though widdershins is by far my favorite word, and I liked how you used that one best! But I am biased in favor of that word, haha. ;D Bu after reading this, I was left hoping the narrator's world would improve. *nod*

Onward to King Serperior! MORE WIDDERSHINS, YAY. Though I do like that you used multiple words in this entry--you spaced them out in a way that it felt really natural for each to be included. I'd also like to specifically compliment how well you handle the fantasy genre--you did spectacularly. I think you have a real knack for building backgrounds here, and by the time I got to the section detailing Nar's history early in the piece, I knew I was in for a treat, character development-wise. :)

I move now to a piece written by Rebelle! Ah, I really love it when something I am reading starts out with a quote in the beginning. I love the use of those to set a general tone for a piece, and I liked it even more that you worked in two Words into it! I have to say that the grim tone of the setting drew me in--I wanted more of this broken world, even as I sympathized with those who were hungry and screaming. Very good work!

Jazra again! More Ebby and Aasa. <3 Nice use of the word hyperbole! I must also confess to a certain curiosity about Ebby--I wonder what his exact capabilities are? He's really rockin' that mysterious shapeshifter vibe!

After that, I read this piece, by Nicholas! Ooh, was this a historical piece? I got that sort of tone from it, and I was excited to read it! I saw the mention of the cinematograph, so was this set close to 1900?  :D I love the beautiful forbidden love angle--whenever I do venture into reading fiction more in a romance genre, forbidden pairings or star-crossed lovers are definitely a favorite of mine. I think you used the word 'napery' so well--your selection reads with a certain air of sophistication and secret daring!

Lastly, one more from Jazra! Good use of the word 'pittance,' and I particularly enjoyed the appearance of Fenrir and Fenris! Though I must say that I got a bit fascinated trying to figure out what was said at the end--what does "Kringlaugd wierd, ein spadi for qvoki ne skeifr drpr munni ne svinhqfdi" mean? Or is that a surprise for later?  ;D

Many sorries that it took me so long to review everyone's wonderful pieces--it was very relaxing and enjoyable to sit down to read them and type out my thoughts tonight. <3

Offline Jazra

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2017, 04:42:39 AM »
Though I must say that I got a bit fascinated trying to figure out what was said at the end--what does "Kringlaugd wierd, ein spadi for qvoki ne skeifr drpr munni ne svinhqfdi" mean? Or is that a surprise for later?

Blythe,

Thank you for the kind words. I'll tell you what it's supposed to mean,

Gaze upon thy destiny, with this sword I will cleave your lying maggot mouth from your swine head!

Which is a bit unfair to Ebby as I'm not sure he actually does much lying. The other man calls him, Lothbrok, which is another clue about Ebby and the name he went by before he met his fate at Odin's hands and reincarnated. 

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
Thank you, Jazra and Blythe. :-) I often worry that what I write isn't really interesting because it's just humans, but the feedback means a lot.

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
I meant to drop in a while ago and thank everyone for the wonderful feedback.

Seems these words really inspire Doctor writing. >_>

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 05:01:11 AM »
-nestles in the good feels-

Also, maybe it's just me but I really love today's word of the day. Yesterday's was awesome as well. xD

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 08:01:53 AM »
I felt like additional​ information was needed for this one.

Did You Know?

If you work in a restaurant or bar, you might eighty-six (or "eliminate") a menu item when you run out of it, or you might eighty-six (or "cut off") a customer who should no longer be served. Eighty-six is still used in this specific context, but it has also entered the general language. These days, you don't have to be a worker in a restaurant or bar to eighty-six somethingóyou just have to be someone with something to get rid of or discard. There are many popular but unsubstantiated theories about the origin of eighty-six. The explanation judged most probable by Merriam-Webster etymologists is that the word was created as a rhyming slang word for nix, which means "to veto" or "to reject."

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:02:59 AM by Flower »

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
@Shores: What a fantastic piece! At first, I thought maybe this guy is a werewolf. Lol but I love your twist. It was unexpected and delightful. I love the acronym you came up with. FoOD. Pretty clever. :)

Offline Shores

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
@Shores: What a fantastic piece! At first, I thought maybe this guy is a werewolf. Lol but I love your twist. It was unexpected and delightful. I love the acronym you came up with. FoOD. Pretty clever. :)

Oh, I just found the comment thread here! Thank you! :D I had a lot of fun writing it since I imagined the customer as a Gordon Ramsay fan.

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »
Now I'm imagining a lot more obscenities flying. xD

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »
Oh Shores! You've outdone yourself again.

Ever heard of a man being good at directions? I had a serious laugh at that line. It might not be true in other's lives but my god is it true in mine. My SO can't navigate for crap even in an area we've lived in for over a year. This was just a great giggle moment for me. Thank you for that. All and all it was a wonderful piece! I want more of this setting and woman in particular. Anyways, you're a marvel at dialogue. I even enjoyed the old man who seemed keen to participate in negotiations though he could barely talk for coughing.

Offline Shores

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2017, 04:39:06 AM »
Lol! Well, luckily he has you around to show him the way!

Thank you for your kind words! I like to read dialogue in books and listen in on conversations when I take public transport. It's very entertaining. I don't know if I'll continue this setting and woman, but it does sound interesting.

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
Hehe. I always overhear crazy stuff off the train as well. It's one of the reasons why I'm not always tempted to zone out with headphones.

Also, huzzah to more wonderful contributions. I haven't had the opportunity to read all off them but I'll be back with some comments. ^_^

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
@Blythe: I was super glad to see you use 'tatterdemalion' as inspiration for your prompt! I thought it was an awesome word. At first mention of the club's name, Wonderland, I knew I was in for a real treat. I always love when fairy tales or just fantasy concepts are remixed to fit the modern, non-magical world. I really loved your contribution. I wanted to know more about Wonderland and the lost souls within it. I really hope you explore the concept more. ^.^

My favorite lines from this piece was...'Was it meant to have that 'hole in the wall' appeal, to have a plain unpleasant appearance on the outside but be beautiful on the inside?'  

Shores (factoid): Another nifty contribution! Again, I love how natural your characters' speech sounds. It just flows and has that nice little umph that makes their voices unique. I am curious about the circumstances behind these two being together and how they came to be married. Also, what's at the end of that tunnel? xD

My favorite line was...'Itís a one-way corridor. Where could I run to?Ē I don't know why but that made me crack up with laughter.

@Mio (factoid): I am not a huge Star Wars fan but I did enjoy reading your piece. It's an interesting concept, being trapped in one's own body.

My favorite line was 'RAWRGWAWGGR' and I liked this bit as well 'He clutched his side where the saber had attempted to make his heart its sheath'.

I'll get to the other ones soon! Thank you, guys, for being so awesome with your contributions. :)

Offline Shores

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 07:22:58 AM »
]
Shores (factoid): Another nifty contribution! Again, I love how natural your characters' speech sounds. It just flows and has that nice little umph that makes their voices unique. I am curious about the circumstances behind these two being together and how they came to be married. Also, what's at the end of that tunnel? xD

My favorite line was...'Itís a one-way corridor. Where could I run to?Ē I don't know why but that made me crack up with laughter.

I'm glad it made you laugh. :D I'm really enjoying learning all the words, and I'm trying to use them in some of my rps as well. Some words are harder to use than others.

Monster at the end of the tunnel, of course! >=D

Offline mioyumyum

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
@Mio (factoid): I am not a huge Star Wars fan but I did enjoy reading your piece. It's an interesting concept, being trapped in one's own body.

My favorite line was 'RAWRGWAWGGR' and I liked this bit as well 'He clutched his side where the saber had attempted to make his heart its sheath'.

Thank you Flower for your words of encouragement. :)

• On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2017, 01:57:22 AM »
I have been so terribly behind in reading everyone's posts for word of the day. >.> I blame it on not enough hours in the day. But I just wanted to thank everyone for contributing here! It is so wonderful to see so many people coming in and writing wonderful pieces. All of you are very talented in writing with words you may not have encountered before! I know I thought it would be a pretty easy prompt to do but I was wrong... It is harder than it looks. :P

So again, thank you everyone for writing!

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • Will I ever be more than I've always been?
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2017, 01:31:25 AM »
ZyperInk, I had to laugh out loud at your character's very husbandly reaction to hearing the word 'refurbish:D

And Shores, I had an It flashback, at two in the morning, in my dark and not quite as silent as I'd like it to be house. 

Massive thanks to everyone who has submitted lately!

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
+1 to everyone's awesome contributions. I'm hoping to channel your energy and do another​ one. What's great about this is that I'm remembering the words, which helps my goal to improve my vocabulary. I'm trying to use them in my regular posts too. 🦄

Offline ZephyrInk

• Coffee Lover / Bibliophile / Enthusiast You ask for a match & I'll give you wildfire. I don't know how to love small.
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • I am like a drop of Ink in a Pool of Water
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »
ZyperInk, I had to laugh out loud at your character's very husbandly reaction to hearing the word 'refurbish:D

;D glad to have made you laugh!

Have to agree with Flower. This has been a great way to improve vocabulary!

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:55 AM »
Today's word gave me a bit of a heart attack.  Have I been using demean wrong MY WHOLE LIFE and no one bothered to tell me!?!?!??!

I've always used the second definition:
2demean
verb  de∑mean
Definition of demean
demeaned; demeaning
transitive verb
:  to lower in character, status, or reputation careful not to demean his opponent demeaning the seriousness of the problem

I had absolutely no idea that it could be also used to mean, well, almost the exact opposite " to conduct or behave (oneself) usually in a proper manner".  My mind is blown.

Offline Shores

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
Me too! I'm a bit lost as to how to use it in a sentence in a positive light. I tried to look around for examples of it used that way but it's hard to find any.

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »
Does these help?

Examples

Theresa was proud of how well her boys demeaned themselves during the ceremony.

"He knew that he had been lackadaisical, and was ashamed of himself; and at once resolved that he would henceforth demean himself as though no calamity had happened to him." ó Anthony Trollope, The Small House at Allington, 1864

Offline Shores

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »
Ohhh! Yes this helps a lot. Thank you Flower!

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
No problem. 💝. Seems like you would use it in the same way you would use 'behave' in a sentence.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
I love today's word, though I doubt it shall cure ALL my ills :D

Panacea is a greek goddess  And there is some pretty sweet art of her out there if that's your kind of thing!

I kind of want to write this as a full-fledged story, a goddess type who has a finite quantity of an elixir that can, in fact, cure all mortal ills.  How does the pressure of weighing one request/life against another wear upon an immortal being?  How do you appeal to someone who has heard every sob story and still has to make those tough calls day after day?  Such delicious drama!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2017, 05:35:49 AM »
Shores.  I enjoyed your scene for today's word :-) you could really feel his determination and desperation.  However, I'm torn between wanting to see him be rewarded for persevering and wanting his blind companion to sigh and point out that she TOLD him to ask for directions.  The road less traveled isn't always the right one? Perhaps they'll at least let him cut in line? We can only hope! 

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2017, 06:49:15 AM »
Today's word of the day is bringing out the feels. Jane and Shores' contributions hit me on the gut. I could feel the disappointment. No, the urgency and need to breakdown if the doctor while the blind man's success to reach the mountain was met by another line. I love how you guys chose to go dark but still ended with a sense of hope.

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »
I love today's word, though I doubt it shall cure ALL my ills :D

Panacea is a greek goddess  And there is some pretty sweet art of her out there if that's your kind of thing!

I kind of want to write this as a full-fledged story, a goddess type who has a finite quantity of an elixir that can, in fact, cure all mortal ills.  How does the pressure of weighing one request/life against another wear upon an immortal being?  How do you appeal to someone who has heard every sob story and still has to make those tough calls day after day?  Such delicious drama!

You should do this! I wanna read it. 🦄

Offline Shores

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2017, 05:09:58 AM »
@RampantDesires LOL!!! That would be the icing on the cake. I don't know how long those people have been waiting in line for, so that probably affects whether they'll let him cut. I guess this is what happens when transportation advances are quicker than communications.

@Flower :D:D:D Thank you for your kind words. Well, at least the long line shows it's an effective panacea.

Offline Caedy

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »
Weee!!!

Today's word has been posted, and I'm gonna have to see if maybe I can toss something up for the words :D

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
I love today's word too.  It is incredibly fun to say O.o suh-pah-zuh-TISH-us.  Good times!

Biblio  - Mercenary healer types are always fun to read and I like the phrase 'ameliorate your circumstances' just in general.

Dys Astyr - You set up the scene beautifully!  I was confused to see erstwhile put up as an adverb.  I've always used it as an adjective as well (ala erstwhile companion/king (Shores) /raider).  And it turns out we're right :p

erstwhile

adjective
former; of times past:
erstwhile friends.

adverb
Archaic. formerly; erst.

The sentence that webster uses as an example is: there's now a store where erstwhile lay green and pleasant pastures.

After reading it I guess I can see it but ... I dunno it still feels awkward to me.  I will continue to use it as an adjective and leave the archaic phrasing to days erstwhile.

Offline Dys Astyr

• The Bad Star ▼ Ferelden Dog Lord ▼ Painfully Platonic
  • Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »
Thank you.  ;D

I think in the proper setting erstwhile would make a fine adverb... Perhaps if you were trying to channel some old school tales of horror and the supernatural...

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2017, 06:25:24 AM »
Apologies for being super late with yesterday's word  :-[ I slept like 15 hours due to some lingering ick.  Anyway, the word grok ..

Grok may be the only English word that derives from Martian. Yes, we do mean the language of the planet Mars. No, we're not getting spacey; we've just ventured into the realm of science fiction. Grok was introduced in Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. The book's main character, Valentine Michael Smith, is a Martian-raised human who comes to earth as an adult, bringing with him words from his native tongue and a unique perspective on the strange ways of earthlings. Grok was quickly adopted by the youth culture of America and has since peppered the vernacular of those who grok it.

I am ... amused.  Grok to me FEELS like it should mean something else, like something strong or ... well... stupid, something cavemaney?  Instead it means intuitive understanding O.o I will have to try to work this in to normal posts just to see people's reactions :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:30:55 AM by RampantDesires »

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
Hoodlum is one of my favorite words.  ;D

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
I'm also pretty fond of 'hooligan' as well :D

• On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
This came along with the word of the day today. I found it interesting!

Did You Know?

Baroque came to English from the French word barroque, meaning "irregularly shaped." At first, the word in French was used mostly to refer to pearls. Eventually, it came to describe an extravagant style of art characterized by curving lines, gilt, and gold. This type of art, which was prevalent especially in the 17th century, was sometimes considered to be excessively decorated and overly complicated. It makes sense, therefore, that the meaning of the word baroque has broadened to include anything that seems excessively ornate or elaborate.

• On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »
I found this one interesting as well for today!

Did You Know?

Who wouldn't love something tax free? George Herpin did. He was a French stamp fancier back in the 1860s, when stamps were a fairly new invention. Before stamps, the recipient of a letterónot the senderóhad to pay the postage. Stamps forced the sender to foot the bill, and created a lot of stamp lovers among folks on the receiving end of the mailóand a mania for stamp collecting. Timbromania was toyed with as a term to affix to this new hobbyófrom the French word for stamp, timbre. But when Herpin suggested philatťlie (anglicized to philately), combining the Greek root phil-, meaning "loving," with Greek ateleia, meaning "tax-exemption," stamp lovers everywhere took a fancy to it and the name stuck.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »
Exciting times! 

Has been added to the opening posts of the WotD thread!

*adds more !!!! marks in for fun* .... !!!

We wanted some way to acknowledge those of you who keep coming back and submitting.  Reaching the double digits is a huge milestone!  As such when members reach 10 word posts their name will be added to the Hall of Fame.

As of right now only Shores currently has 10. 

CONGRATULATIONS Shores!
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

But there are several of you who are very close and PMs be coming your way ;)

It is so much fun reading your take on some occasionally off the wall words.  A giant thank you to everyone who participates!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:40:01 PM by RampantDesires »

Offline Shores

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2017, 12:49:34 AM »
Yayyyy! Thank you!!!! I would like to thank all the word givers for their sometimes funny words.

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »
Congrats, Shores! I hope to see the list of hall of fame grow!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2017, 04:09:47 AM »
On the fiftieth year of her reign, she abdicated her throne, then ran off to the Bahamas for surf, sand, and sun. It took a while for her bodyguards to be at ease, but she soon became known as the Surf Queen, a title which she kept until her glorious death by shark.

Bahahahahaha ... I had a tea incident requiring some quick desk clean up, but totally worth it :-) Thank you for the much needed laugh this morning Shores.  And totally appropriate with your screen name might I add!

Also *cues trumpets and fanfare ... or at least the sound of cracking stone and shattering glass*

CONGRATULATIONS Dys Astyr!

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
I hope to see more names being added to the list as well! ;D

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2017, 10:59:49 PM »
I love today's word... SO MUCH.  It is fun to say and it just looks ... pleasing to me :D

For your consideration:

A dragon whirligig!

I think my favorite usage is it as a descriptor...

"It has been a whirligig of a year!"
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:54:04 AM by RampantDesires »

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
Double posting to add that I loved your take on it today Dys!

"A sickly whirligig of emotions churned inside of him.."

It works perfectly for setting the tone, and the added element of something that can be fun and child like instead describing intense and uncomfortable emotions is pretty awesome.

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
Thank you, my Muse was all "Oh nice, be depressing" then went back to brooding and being a prick. I guess it's better than nothing. :P

Also I just realized that I could turn the WotD badge into a link... >_< Man I'm dense sometimes.

Offline Caedy

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2017, 06:11:30 AM »
Rampant, thanks for posting yesterday's word for me.  It was a long day <3

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
I just wanted to post a little feedback/commentary! Been so long since I had a chance to read things. I only wish I had time to type up a little bit of everything for everyone, as I haven't had time to read everything. <3

ZephyrInk's piece using the word valedictory was just fabulous! There's a horror story in there, one that just has me all sorts of excited. Will the father return? How will he, even after death? Who is Olivia? I have questions!  :D

Shores--I love how often you are contributing! I appreciate seeing all your selections in the Word of the Day, but I think I especially love the one you did today! The double-use of plagiary was just clever; I adored it! Although I have a special fondness for the word grok, so this entry really caught my eye. The dialogue you have for that selection's particularly great. :)

Rhedyn's piece, using the word nudnik, was a neat read. Maybe I just love seeing elves and dwarves fall in love, but that piece has a wonderful story to tell. I'm rooting for Lythandra & Aindan!

And Dys Astyr's use of nudnik was pretty great and exciting! It's no secret that I'm a sucker for the fantasy genre, and if you throw in a good duel, then that's just all the better! Brenwyr seems like a badass, and she also seems like such a tricky person!  8-)

Offline ZephyrInk

• Coffee Lover / Bibliophile / Enthusiast You ask for a match & I'll give you wildfire. I don't know how to love small.
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

ZephyrInk's piece using the word valedictory was just fabulous! There's a horror story in there, one that just has me all sorts of excited. Will the father return? How will he, even after death? Who is Olivia? I have questions!  :D

^_^ *jumps up and down in excitement* Thank you! <3 you're making me want to turn it into an RP! Oh, I should do that, *grins*

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »
And Dys Astyr's use of nudnik was pretty great and exciting! It's no secret that I'm a sucker for the fantasy genre, and if you throw in a good duel, then that's just all the better! Brenwyr seems like a badass, and she also seems like such a tricky person!  8-)

Badass, maybe. XD Tricky? Well, sometimes.

Thank you though, it's been a long time since I've wrote this character I was worried I'd lost the feel for her. Maybe I shall follow Zephyr's lead and see about giving her an RP.

Online Rhedyn

• ~☆~~ Philocalist ~~☆~ ~~Friend of the Tome~~ ~☆~ Giggle Expert ~☆~
  • Goddess
  • Addict
  • Keeper of the Forest
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
Rhedyn's piece, using the word nudnik, was a neat read. Maybe I just love seeing elves and dwarves fall in love, but that piece has a wonderful story to tell. I'm rooting for Lythandra & Aindan!

Hehe, thanks, Blythe. I'm glad you enjoyed it  :-)

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS ZephyrInk!

*confetti explosions*  Your posts have been exceptionally fun to read :-) I especially enjoyed the tower project with incoherence, if only because I have been in that position many times before and felt deep sympathy for poor Jason.  Thank you for all of your lovely submissions!

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
Yay ZephyrInk! ;D

Offline ZephyrInk

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:36 PM »
*dances* yay! thank you RampantDesires and Dys Astyr.  ;D

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:33 PM »
Oh my goodness Shores, how do you do it? You always have a nice, snappy morsel for every word!

Most of the time I struggle just to come up with something cohesive that doesn't veer off into a ramble. XD

Offline Shores

« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2017, 01:37:06 AM »
I try not to think too much and just veer off wherever the path leads.  ;D

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
So today's word is a bit bizarre... I thought I'd share the example's for it. XD

The tenants got into a bit of an argy-bargy over their shared porch.

"I would object to the leaders' debates much less if they took place only on the radio. Then there wouldn't be all the argy-bargy about who stands where, wearing what." ó Charles Moore, The Daily Telegraph (London), 24 Apr. 2017

I somewhat cannot believe this is a really real word. :P

Offline Oreo

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
As a follow up since I was curious.

Argy-bargy was a late nineteenth-century modification of a Scots phrase, which appeared early in the same century in the form argle-bargle. The first part of this older version was a modification of argue. The second parts of the two forms, bargle and bargy, never had any independent existence ó they are no more than nonsense rhyming repetitions of the first elements.

An example in the old spelling from later in the century:

Last night ye haggled and argle-bargled like an apple-wife.

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
Shores your bit for argy-bargy had me laughing! I loved it, especially this bit at the end:

He tore open his shirt and became "The Gunwielder", crushing enemies in his biceps of fury.

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »
I love that your last two pieces go together Oreo, that's so cool! ;D

I'm gonna have to wear the cone of shame if I don't get back on the ball with actually writing for the WotD. >_> But my new story is so distractingly good I can't think about anything else. XD

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
Damn Nic! Making the rest of us look like slackers! ;D Not complaining, I don't mind being swept away by a tale of vengence at all.

Offline Oreo

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
Loved the Hiaku from Majere

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
Yes, that was a nice change of format. And a nice haiku as well!

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »
Damn Nic! Making the rest of us look like slackers! ;D Not complaining, I don't mind being swept away by a tale of vengence at all.
That wasn't my intention at all.

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
That wasn't my intention at all.

I meant it in the best way possible. XD

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »
The post corvusul86 did for today's word had me laughing! Good job friend. ;D

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
Thank you!

Writing that made me want to tell more stories about an adventuring lawyer -- I think I'll need to keep that character in mind for the future.

Offline Shores

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2017, 03:31:57 AM »
I like that today's word is inalienable, for the Americans out there.  ;D

• On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »
To go along with today's word of the day:

Did You Know?

Legend has it that the term flat-hat originated with an incident back in the days of barnstormers in which a pedestrian's hat was crushed by a low-flying airplane. According to one version of the tale, the reckless pilot was subsequently required to purchase a new hat for the hapless pedestrian. It seems unlikely that such an event actually took place, but we can well imagine how fear of having one's hat smashed flat by a passing airplane might have given rise to such a vivid verb. Flat-hat is first known to have appeared in English in 1940. Another word for flying low to the ground, the verb hedgehop, debuted at least 14 years earlier (and its related gerund hedgehopping is known to be a bit older still).

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2017, 03:47:23 AM »
I love these flat-hat replies so far! 
corvusul86 - "Doomed ..." is the perfect ending for your scene, and I actually laughed out loud :D

Shores - It is good to be queen! I would love to hear the speech to the 'volunteers'!

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »
I really loved the tone and concept of your ludic piece, Corvus! It was an excellent read. I want more. (^^)

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Thank you Flower, RampantDesires, and everyone else who's given me positive feedback on these.  I'm really loving the encouragement -- I'm new here, but Elliquiy has been such a wonderful community so far:)

I've been taking these as an opportunity to just let the imagination go wild -- I write a lot of fanfiction, so it's been a while since I've just gone down the rabbit hole  exploring whatever random half-formed bunny-universe I latch onto.  It's been a lot of fun!

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »
I want to express my amusement at today's word of the day.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »

:D 

I look forward to seeing what y'all come up with!

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
It might just be the historian in me, but I really like the origins of today's word:

Steadfast has held its ground in English for many centuries. Its Old English predecessor, stedefśst, combined stede (meaning "place" or "stead") and fśst (meaning "firmly fixed"). An Old English text of the late 10th century, called The Battle of Maldon, contains our earliest record of the word, which was first used in battle contexts to describe warriors who stood their ground. Soon, it was also being used with the broad meaning "immovable," and as early as the 13th century it was applied to those unswerving in loyalty, faith, or friendship. Centuries later, all of these meanings endure.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
*nods*  A person who holds firm in their loyalty or support of another or a cause is described as steadfast.  Friends like that are invaluable. :-)

Offline Jag

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
I like your story, corvusul86. It would be something I would like to read more about. She seemed to accept that they weren't wearing costumes fairly easily. Makes me wonder what kind of world they are in.

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2017, 05:13:12 PM »
Thanks!

I'm not really sure what's going on, myself -- when I started writing it I was thinking some kind of urban fantasy, and I wanted to turn things around at the bar scene, so I was going to make her be something powerful, like a dragon in disguise or an elder vampire or something.  But then I had the idea of her being a superhero, and this being the mystical underbelly of a DC/Marvel sorta setting... I dunno. 

If I were ever to continue this scene I'd need to make a lot of decisions;)

Offline Jag

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
I kind of saw her as a 'Buffy' type of thing (sorry if you don't like Buffy!). Mostly an average girl, but with heightened senses and more durable than the average human. Someone who gets more 'superhero' like as time goes on.

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
I love Buffy!  I actually wrote a lot of Buffy fanfiction years ago -- it's one of the things that got me into writing regularly.

That's another good idea for what could be happening.

Offline Jag

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
*loves Buffy too*

I have the new board game. It's amazing. >.<

Yay for fanfiction!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2017, 01:30:07 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS corvusul86 !

Huzzah!

"How could I have known about the dormant super volcano.." and your use of vindicate made me laugh way too hard.  Thank you so much for sharing all your lovely work!

Offline Hyacinth

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2017, 05:57:51 AM »
Oh Jag! I loved your crucible contribution. I want moar.

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
@RampantDesires -- Thank you very much!  It's great to know people are enjoying my work  :D

Offline Jag

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »
Oh Jag! I loved your crucible contribution. I want moar.

Thank you, Flower. Since I wrote it, I have been considering expanding it or making an or plot.

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
Oooh. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with using today's word!

Offline Jag

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
I'm having fun with this lately. ^_^

Not that it wasn't fun before.

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
Happy to see that the WotD is getting love, my Muse is being super lazy and fickle lately so I've been slacking! :P

Look forward to seeing what y'all come up with for today's word! ;D

Offline Shores

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:16:52 AM by Shores »

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
That was my first thought too Shores! ;D

Offline Shores

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2017, 11:18:37 AM »
I'm definitely going to write an homage to them.  ;D

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
Oooh, Wander brought WH40K into WotD! Nice! ;D Also, plague zombies... Gross. XD

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
Inhere is a weird word -- I looked up 'inhere in a sentence' on google and I'm still not sure I'm using it right.

It did not help that the first example my googling found was "As Ueberweg points out, his theory is rather a result of the transference of the Aristotelian conception of substance to the Platonic Idea, and of an identification of the relation of accidents to the substance in which they inhere with that of the individuals to the Idea of which, in the Platonic doctrine, they are copies"

Um... I guess that is the kind of sentence one would use if they said things like 'inhere', but...

Offline wander

• Cheeky Brit Next Door // Creator of Wander Worlds
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Nurgle's Buttbringer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »
Oooh, Wander brought WH40K into WotD! Nice! ;D Also, plague zombies... Gross. XD

I had a quiet day, so I decided to roll out and try a little sample with my boy Typhus. I've yet to field poxwalkers (the new name for plague zombies), though when I did field some autopistol and ccw wielding Cultists in a Metahl Bawks they ripped apart three Tau squads before being finally killed, which was neat.

The Poxwalkers do appear in my 1000pt/50 Power army however with Typhus in command, so I hope to eventually see what they end up being like on-table. :)

Really though, as a Death Guard and Nurgle player, when the word 'fester' comes up, I had to.  ;D

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
A funny note: I posted today's word from my phone and autocorrect tried to turn it into vermicelli. I thought that was amusing, but I looked back at the word of the day page, and I found this.

What does the word vermicular have in common with the pasta on your plate? If you're eating vermicelli (a spaghetti-like pasta made in long thin strings) the answer is vermis, a Latin noun meaning "worm."

So, today's word is yummy, too!

Offline Shores

« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2017, 04:08:46 AM »
Oooo I always wondered why the noodles I love are called that. It's such a complicated name for something so simple to cook.

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
Oooo I always wondered why the noodles I love are called that. It's such a complicated name for something so simple to cook.
It really is. I always wondered too, since they are the best type of noodles.

Offline TheSamm

« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
So I have a question, is there a rule against using several or even all of the words of the day? Not trying to be an overachiever, but I do use a couple of these regularly and I kind of want to try all of them out. :o

« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
So I have a question, is there a rule against using several or even all of the words of the day? Not trying to be an overachiever, but I do use a couple of these regularly and I kind of want to try all of them out. :o

It's absolutely allowed to use as many Words of the Day as you like in a writing selection. Make sure to put the individual words you use in bold so we can more easily see how many you use and where. :)

Offline TheSamm

« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
It's absolutely allowed to use as many Words of the Day as you like in a writing selection. Make sure to put the individual words you use in bold so we can more easily see how many you use and where. :)
Oh excellent, I'm going to go crazy. ;D

Offline TheSamm

« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
Okay finally finished a submission. I did get to use quite a few of those, I rather like temporize and cthonic lol

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »
Today's word threw me. I've never seen it before! It is from the 15th century, and definitely has that old feel about it.

Have fun with this one, folks. :>

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
You guys are all doing an amazing job! I'm happy to see the WotD getting so much love. ;D

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2017, 05:09:38 AM »
Today's word amuses me, I must say. >_>

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
Another good word today. ;D Flagrant is a word I probably use too much really. >_>

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
So you're flagrant with your usage of it?

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2017, 11:45:38 AM »
So you're flagrant with your usage of it?

gigglesnorts
Indeed, terribly so. XD

Offline Panthera

« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »
Okay, I'll admit it, I totally read that banner wrong. ::)

Offline Oreo

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
Okay, I'll admit it, I totally read that banner wrong. ::)
I simply couldn't resist. It is my birthday giggles to myself. ;D Thank you for noticing Lurking. That made my day extra special.

Offline Panthera

« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »
I simply couldn't resist. It is my birthday giggles to myself. ;D Thank you for noticing Lurking. That made my day extra special.

It gave me a lot of giggles too. It also taught me a new word, so it was a double win. :D

Online Khoraz

« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »
I randomly did a submission ^^;

This isn't the sort of thing I usually do, but I thought that since I'm struggling with roleplay replies, this might be a way to do something creative.

Offline Shores

« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »
It is! I like the no-fuss low-stress low-commitment nature of Word of the Day.

Offline Dys Astyr

• Legate
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
Oh today's word is fun. ;D This one is getting added to my normal vocabulary for sure.

Offline Wanderlost

« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2017, 04:34:56 PM »
Hey Corvusul86! I really liked your post for today's word. It was really well contained, and an interesting take on the things you played with.

Since I haven't touched on my feelings on Word of the Day yet, I'll add that it's an awesome thread altogether, and I do like that it lets us work on improving our vocabulary while simultaneously working on our skill in writing short little scenes. I look forward to continuing to post in it!

Offline corvusul86

« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »
Thank you!  Always love getting positive feedback:)

Word of the Day is great.

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2017, 02:08:30 PM »
'What on Earth sort of word is that' Said I moments before posting today's word.

There are some weird words.

Language is weird.

Offline Shores

« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »
Wow the definition for pace today is throwing me for a loop. How do you use it in a sentence with that definition? I looked online and the example sentences are for walking speed.

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »
Got a little distracted so will be putting both yesterday's and today's words up tonight.

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
After a long time, I felt inspired enough again to write something here. ;D

Offline Kiric Rand

• The keeper of the Rose of Desire
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I'm not procrastinating, I'm doing side quest
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
Trying to challenge myself recently, to better my own writing

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
Embargo isn't generally a word that I think of as exciting or really notice much in writing, but you guys set up scenes that were tense and enjoyable to read!  Awesome job brainsout, Beguile's Mistress, and Kiric Rand.

Offline persephone325

• E's Resident Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier Addict | Lady White Wolf | Bucky Bait/Buckygirl | Howling's Dagger | Queen of the Underworld | A sentient pile of kittens | Always blame Bucky | 1/3 of Team SAM
  • Mentor
  • Addict
  • Ready to comply...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2018, 04:47:52 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS Xandi !

CONGRATULATIONS brainsout !

*throws confetti about and makes a lovely cake for everyone to nibble at* Keep up the great work, you guys! <3

Offline brainsout

« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »
Thx for the warm welcome and especially to all the providers of words :) I found this F&C thread the day before yesterday * smile * there are so many exciting corners on E ...

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Thx for the warm welcome and especially to all the providers of words :) I found this F&C thread the day before yesterday * smile * there are so many exciting corners on E ...

Quoting this for truth.  There are so many fun places to write on E, but I'm ever so glad that you guys decide to keep checking back here and participating in the WotD :D

I enjoyed your Artemis piece Ben.  The scene was set beautifully.

Refection is a kind of odd word.  My brain wants to just add an 'l' to it and make it reflection.

Brainsout your vampire submission for sanguine was also hauntingly lovely.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2018, 02:48:02 AM »
So I almost didn't write anything for today's word.  It is one that has a ... weird place in my brain.  I've only ever heard it in a religious context.

I grew up Roman Catholic and on the way to being confirmed there were a lot of classes and meetings that one had to attend before their confirmation.  Along the way we had to take turns presenting a piece of scripture to the group and leading a discussion about it.  The priest called it, you guessed it, giving an exegesis.  Another girl in the group hated these exercises.  HATED THEM.  One day we were chatting before class and she muttered "gah, please don't let there be more excuse me Jesus's".

I died.

And now I can't see or hear the word without hearing her voice in my head. So that's why you get the weird satirical piece.  :D

Offline persephone325

• E's Resident Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier Addict | Lady White Wolf | Bucky Bait/Buckygirl | Howling's Dagger | Queen of the Underworld | A sentient pile of kittens | Always blame Bucky | 1/3 of Team SAM
  • Mentor
  • Addict
  • Ready to comply...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2018, 03:07:03 AM »
So I almost didn't write anything for today's word.  It is one that has a ... weird place in my brain.  I've only ever heard it in a religious context.

I grew up Roman Catholic and on the way to being confirmed there were a lot of classes and meetings that one had to attend before their confirmation.  Along the way we had to take turns presenting a piece of scripture to the group and leading a discussion about it.  The priest called it, you guessed it, giving an exegesis.  Another girl in the group hated these exercises.  HATED THEM.  One day we were chatting before class and she muttered "gah, please don't let there be more excuse me Jesus's".

I died.

And now I can't see or hear the word without hearing her voice in my head. So that's why you get the weird satirical piece.  :D

*giggles* As someone who was also raised Roman Catholic (but never went through confirmation), I totally get that. XD

It's like, whenever people say "May the force be with you" in reference to Star Wars, I have to bite my tongue to not say "And also with you" and reach out to shake their hand. lmao

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2018, 07:08:54 PM »
I too feel that pain.  Go team Lapsed Catholic.  Apparently they no longer do the 'also with you' though which means I can for sure for sure never go back to church because I'd screw things up (and possibly burst into flames at the door, but we're not going to go there) :P

Do any of you have words that are 'broken' for you?  That you or someone you know have misused in the past and now your brain just refuses to accept any other meaning?

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2018, 03:28:12 AM »
There is most assuredly nothing nondescript about your posts UnderwhelmingAlice, Shores, and brainsout. :D  I loved the twist Shores, shoelace he took from his victim indeed!  Alice you set the scene beautifully and I very much want biscuits now :-)  And I totally smiled reading the name of your bird Brainsout!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
Aww Xandi  your latest one made me all emotional  :'(  Thank you so much for sharing your lovely writing.

Today is another word which in no way applies to you fine people, but I hope you have fun with it in your posts!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:28 PM »
Today's WotD made me make this face :  :-\

then this one --->   ???

The hell?  I've never seen this word before in my life, and what's more reading the definition was UTTERLY NO HELP AT ALL :P

I had to go to the Oxford dictionary page to find anything that made it click.
Quote from:  For scilicet
That is to say; namely (introducing a word to be supplied or an explanation of an ambiguity).

Origin
Latin, from scire licet Ďone is permitted to knowí.

It is apparently primarily a legal term thing so I don't feel too bad for having it fly entirely over my head.  Am not sure how I'm going to use it in writing, but it is certainly .. interesting.

Offline persephone325

• Mentor
  • Addict
  • Ready to comply...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2018, 11:54:57 PM »
Today's WotD made me make this face :  :-\

then this one --->   ???

The hell?  I've never seen this word before in my life, and what's more reading the definition was UTTERLY NO HELP AT ALL :P

I had to go to the Oxford dictionary page to find anything that made it click.
It is apparently primarily a legal term thing so I don't feel too bad for having it fly entirely over my head.  Am not sure how I'm going to use it in writing, but it is certainly .. interesting.

Apparently, it's a word you're not permitted to know. :P lol

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
I know right.  It is such an odd word.  I've decided that I'm just going to write something with "that is to say..." in it and then replace the phrase with scilicet and call it a day :P

Today's word is one that I use fairly frequently.  "Rich as Croesus" is a pretty common phrase and I've never really questioned it, but I discovered that I've been saying it wrong this whole time.  KREE-sus?  I've always said it phonetically K-row-sus.  I am too old to try and correct my brain in this and shall likely read it wrong for the rest of my life, but today has for sure been educational on the word front!

Offline Chanticleer

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
Today's word is one that I use fairly frequently.  "Rich as Croesus" is a pretty common phrase and I've never really questioned it, but I discovered that I've been saying it wrong this whole time.  KREE-sus?  I've always said it phonetically K-row-sus.  I am too old to try and correct my brain in this and shall likely read it wrong for the rest of my life, but today has for sure been educational on the word front!

I was privileged to be corrected once on its pronunciation by a Greek waitress. I grew up in the southern U.S.  and, as best I can gather, most citizens of the U.S. don't pronounce most Greek words correctly. Which is kind of hilarious given how much Greek and Latin is woven into our language.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
"Words that Southerners Pronounce Wrong" Would be a pretty long list :-)

It is good to know that I'm not the only one who has mangled this one though and it is awesome that you got some authentic correction!

Offline Chanticleer

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »
"Words that Southerners Pronounce Wrong" Would be a pretty long list :-)

It is good to know that I'm not the only one who has mangled this one though and it is awesome that you got some authentic correction!

I'll give you that's an inarguable truth, sure, but I dare say a similar list for Northerners wouldn't exactly be short. ;)

Mind, it's not easy to find anyone north of the border who can properly reel off "chicharrůns" unless they come from a south of the border family.

Or, more even-handedly, we all mispronounce everything from everywhere but here (as propahly prah-nounced "heah" in the South). ;)

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »
# hachure ?

I'll see myself out :P  But the Did you know part for today's word was kind of interesting...

Did You Know?
Hachuring is an old map-drawing technique that was largely replaced in later years by the use of contour lines, or lines that connect points of similar elevation. The word hachure, which can also be a noun referring to one of the short lines used in hachuring, comes from the French hacher, meaning "to chop up" or "hash." This French word is also the source of the verbs hash, which can mean "to chop (food, such as meat and potatoes) into small pieces," among other meanings, and hatch, meaning "to inlay with narrow bands of distinguishable material" and "to mark (something, such as a drawing or engraving) with fine closely spaced lines."

So if you like old maps, good news.   If not today's word might be a bit of a struggle to use O.o

A hachure map of San Francisco , kind of a big image

[/img]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:45:08 PM by RampantDesires »

Offline Chanticleer

« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
I consider this an exercise in why one shouldn't affix Greco-Latinate suffixes to French loan-words. And then I decided if it was going to be that painful, I might as well spread it around a little. ;)

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Look at you go, using it in like all its forms :-) Well done Chanticleer!

Offline Chanticleer

« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
Look at you go, using it in like all its forms :-) Well done Chanticleer!

All of its not-quite-right sounding forms.  XD

I'm not sure that "hachuration" is legitimate, but then most of English isn't "legitimate." It's a bastard language.

And as a pun for 'achoo,' too. :)

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2018, 01:59:30 AM »
Doh I didn't see your question about posting in here or the cafe until just now when I was going through and doing post counts :-(  Sorry Chanticleer!

You're welcome to post in either place for the word of the day, or even both places if you feel inspired to write two different ones.  The tracking and what not is done entirely separately for both of them, we have the hall of fame here which just goes strictly off number of posts here in the Non-Adult Storytelling WotD section, while they have a different system in the Cafe. 

Offline persephone325

• Mentor
  • Addict
  • Ready to comply...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2018, 02:12:35 AM »
Doh I didn't see your question about posting in here or the cafe until just now when I was going through and doing post counts :-(  Sorry Chanticleer!

You're welcome to post in either place for the word of the day, or even both places if you feel inspired to write two different ones.  The tracking and what not is done entirely separately for both of them, we have the hall of fame here which just goes strictly off number of posts here in the Non-Adult Storytelling WotD section, while they have a different system in the Cafe. 

As a cafe GM, it seems to be that the WotD in the cafe is different than the one for here. Though I'm not 100% positive on that. Every time I've looked, it's been different. But I could just be losing my mind! :P

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »
Today's word made me laugh.  It seems ... I dunno kind of lazy really? I will never use it in writing and will default to peril/perilous.  *shrugs* But it was fun to read the history!

And I couldn't get Monty Python out of my head.  "Can't I have just a little bit of parlor?" ... "No it is too parlous.."  It doesn't work as well, but eh.

Offline Shores

« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2018, 02:55:03 AM »
Both the Word of the Day here and at the Storyteller's Cafe have their own special shinies when you hit a certain number. Totally worth it.

The one at the Storyteller's Cafe has a 100 word minimum and isn't updated as much because you can go through all the words that they have used. Over here they update more frequently so I don't bother playing catch-up and just go with the flow.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
Today's word is also broken for me. It will always be something The Dude does :P

I'm glad to see people getting back into posting, and new people joining <3 you all!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »
So today I was like "go home WotD, you're drunk"  career as a verb?  You clearly mean careen.  Luckily the Did You Know section clears all of this up.

Did You Know?
Chances are you're familiar with the verb careen as used in the sense of "to go forward in a headlong or uncontrolled manner." Similarly, you likely know the noun career meaning "a profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling." What you may not know is that the noun career (from Middle French carriere) originally referred to a course or passage (as in "the sun's career across the sky") and to the speed used to traverse such a course. In the context of medieval tournaments, career referred to the charge of mounted knights as well as to the courses they rode. Verb use eventually developed with a general "to go fast" meaning, and later the more specific sense of moving in a reckless or headlong manner. (If you're wondering, career is not etymologically related to careen; careen has nautical origins, tracing to the Latin word for "hull.")

When I started thinking about it though I guess I have heard in in the context of like a car careering forward ... but nope even when I read that last sentence my brain wants to correct it to careening. It DOES amuse me that career can be your job/vocation AND mean barreling forward ... that's positive I guess?   Right? Maybe?

<edit> Using it in the brief scene was awkward for me too and I initially strayed outside the PG-13 gore lines with what waited for her at the castle walls so I had to edit that bit out.  All in all not my favorite word day :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:44:04 AM by RampantDesires »

Offline Kyranna

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:06 PM »
I had the same thought on Career as well... then I thought on it... and Googled it and got excited over learning a new word. Then today... awesome word, love it... and well as I said, goodnight all :D

PS
This is a lot of fun, I look forward to it every day.

Offline Shores

« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Do you think the word career(job) originated from career(propelling forward) because to advance in a job is to career up?

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #205 on: April 07, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »
I look forward to reading all the replies everyday as well :-) It's always fun to see the different ways people use the same (occasionally odd) word!

With the french root meaning "course or passage"  I'd say you're right Shores :-)  But like life/job course and direction *nods*  Isn't it weird how we use words our whole life and just accept that they mean things without diving into the WHY all that much?

Offline Kyranna

« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »
Gah, my brain has been so drained the last few days >< I missed some awesome words too.

I love kitsch though, it is or was a common word in SA when I lived there, and I fell utterly in love with it, when I use it now though, people typically look at me oddly as if I have spoken another language.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2018, 05:20:57 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS Kyranna!

This celebration will NOT be deferred! :-)

I have enjoyed reading your posts so far and look forward to reading more.  Keep up the great work!

Offline Kyranna

« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »
Aww yay, I seriously need to get the words I missed with this busy week and make an epic phrase.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »
Yay!  Nice to see you again Zypher and mioyumyum!

Your last post was painfully relateable Shores.  Not being able to sleep before large important events is a cruel truth :-(

Yours made me laugh Kyranna.  I'm sorry that life has been sucky to you of late and hope it clears up!

Offline Kyranna

« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »
I was just pleased that all could be used in such an accurate manner... and I also laughed, a lot. :D Glad I could share the laughter.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:27 PM »
Huzzah sharing laughter :D  Speaking of sharing things, I forgot to mention that there is a special Aniversary Edition of WotD.  You can find it in the Aniversary section or click the link below!

Offline ZephyrInk

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »
I haven't been in here for a long while! Congratulations to all those who made it to the hall of fame!! ^_^ yay!!

*waves to RampantDesires* =)

The special edition sounds interesting, will definitely give it a try =)

Offline Shores

« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »
Your last post was painfully relateable Shores.  Not being able to sleep before large important events is a cruel truth :-(

It feels like my body is betraying me when it happens. :(

OMG SPECIAL EDITION WotD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
Shores - Must. Not. Change. My. Location. To "this zombified hellhole" even if it is so appropriate for Georgia :P

I look forward to seeing y'all's challenge entry posts.  I really need to post in that thread myself, it isn't in my notifications *hangs head in shame*

Online Theta Sigma

« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Today's word is one of my favourites. >_>

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »
Ooo it was a good one Thete, but it is kind of hard to use in writing.  I beat my  head against it for awhile but then just decided to skip it.

Friday's word makes me happy because I literally just explained this word to someone who thought it was 'a made up word', logged in and saw it was WotD!  Am going to see a musical tomorrow:

Quote from: God, I Hate Shakespeare Lyrics SOMETHING ROTTEN
And thatís ANOTHER thing I hate about Shakespeare!
Is all the twits who bloviate about Shakespeare!
And how they prattle on about his great accomplishments, well la-di-da-di-dah!
And once they start their gushing thereís no stopping them
And then itís ďblah blah blah blah blah Shakespeare!Ē
And he walks in, itís ďdum da dum ta da Shakespeare!Ē
Heís holding court and they say ďWill youíre such a genius and your writing is divine,
A rose by any other name is such a clever line!Ē
And theyíre all ďooh!Ē and heís all ďstopĒ and theyíre all ďyayĒ and Iím all ďughĒ

So excited for this!

It is a word that you don't hear come up often, but it's pretty awesome!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:14:25 AM by RampantDesires »