You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 27, 2020, 01:11:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

"Thank You Veks"
You're the best!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Struggles of the Politically 'Purple'  (Read 17479 times)

Offline Callie Del Noire

Re: The Struggles of the Politically 'Purple'
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »
The problem with 'not voting' as a protest is that it makes everyone else's vote count infinitesimally more

So, thanks - go ahead if you want to.  You won't get that 0/0 result until I'm cold in the grave.

I’ve sat in on local GOP discussions about increased voting. It does get noticed. Not by a lot but it does. You want to see a fat man who has been chairman since the Reagan era sweat, you should have heard about the Tea party and Trumpsters on his county level. New voters can be a boon (we have more luck in these spots) or a bane (we lost this district or,,so and so is getting more popular is my position in danger..)

Offline Markus

« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2020, 06:09:53 AM »
As an outsider, having spent a lot of time in the US, but still an outsider, it amazes me how the country as a whole seems to have this whole 'black and white' mentality. A country of extremes where it's either for or against, right or wrong, Elephant or Donkey, with absolutely no possibility of a middle ground.

^ This. I find as long as there is sincere give and take, middle ground and compromise, things tend to remain fairly civil. As positions harden and things devolve into an us vs them, it ceases to be so.

Offline DallasTopic starter

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
A victory for peace is never within the grasp of those that reach out a closed fist. One can strive to be a champion of peace, unification and protecting the people...or, they can walk the path of the warlord and conquer them through division.

In the dimensions of war and peace, one cannot be both.

:-\

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
... At least, this philosophy stuck with me since I left the army. I have tried to apply it in political dialogue.

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »
Sorry. I had this whole thing to type up, but had accidentally hit ‘reply’ while attempting to preview it. In the middle of helping my father with a few surprise tasks now... so I will elaborate on the conflicted feeling I have regarding this when I have more time.

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
So, for better context now that I have a break in between...

I tend to have regular verbal jousts between family and peers in regards to politics. These tend to be rather harrowing, draining experiences for me. And talking about this here is somewhat difficult, given that it edges on being personal for me. Let’s just say I feel that I would have more hair on my head these days if I kept these thoughts and feelings to myself… but who knows? Perhaps that sort of self-imposed isolation would have been worse.   *shrug*

My father is predominantly right-wing these days, though he does have moments where he humors my attempt at ‘bipartisan virtue’. He is also part of the disenfranchised that we have talked about. While he and I differ strongly on various views, I still revere him for the lessons that stuck on me. This man has been through three divorces, had been put on overtime as a father over several children and step-children. A couple of which had contributed more to his grey hair than others. But he was never abusive, never raised a hand to the women he was with. And he taught me the importance and value of honor and integrity. You might say that he was my first drill instructor of life. We don’t agree on everything, but I had strived to be the man that I used to see him as. But, as we grow older, we realize that our parents are not superheroes. My father is strong, but still mortal. Flesh and blood. He thinks, he breathes, he feels. He is human.

Then there are those such as another of my kin, one that I was once quite close with but… people grow apart. He and I used to be like brothers. Now? Not so much anymore... I used to say that he so far left that it seems to come full circle on contrived craziness. But now, I just feel that his perspective is just... out there. Believes freedom of speech should be outlawed, feels that veterans are a parasite on the country... things like that.

I could go into my peer circle that remains in touch with me but I would rather not get too far in those weeds for brevity’s sake. What to take from them is that they all have differing opinions from issue to issue. The irony I notice in most of them is that they claim to side with a team (again, the majority of them) but seem to paint in a reddish-blue pastel and most don’t appear to realize it.

Recently, these (among my social connections, in some form or another) have been engaging talks of war, as well as riots and protests. On riots and protests, I have little to speak about. I have my own thoughts and feelings... but little that needs to be said when I know that others have little to no inclination to, at least, listen. Not just listen to facts (information), but to pain and experience. To the human ‘spirit’, rather. It is harder to do when dealing with something virtually intangible and, at times, irrational.

But I have felt this to be a necessity given my experiences. I am not the only one in this world with blood and taint on their soul. I am, however, one that believes that he has mastered it and achieved control over it. Because, you see, I walk upon one road after leaving the other. I choose to believe that I can guide another’s heart that feels lost. Yet, that requires one to listen and hold their tongue for a moment. Not anticipate when it is one’s turn to speak, but consider the merit of what is being said.

It is more than just “tolerance”, it is virtue. It is honor. It is due diligence in pursuit of that answer that both often attempt to explore in confused minds and hearts...

... But I digress.

I am more than a little bothered by people (in my life and beyond) that speak so casually of war. To speak of it so liberally as some gallant crusade to right a wrong. Or a be-all solution to end some pest or vermin, like an exterminator dealing with a bug problem. To seriously compare war to things like this overshadows the harsh reality of what I have known to be truly destructive to a human heart. An academic type can handwave it as a means of an end, or a necessary evil. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, I cannot argue that. Sometimes war is inevitable, but it must be seen as a final solution when the path to peace has ultimately failed.

Generally speaking, in war, there is always a force that seeks to attack and there is a force that desires to defend. Good and evil are largely immaterial (at this level). But, an ideal time to pick up your weapon is when you are about to be invaded by an enemy force that has outright refused your offer of peace. There is no honor in taking such a campaign to those that have no means to fight (innocents). This also extends to the choice of venue in which such engagements are to take place.

But generally, there is always a conquering force and always a defending force. The force intent on defending home still remains on their aspired path, even if they have chosen to fight. This is because the conqueror has decided this for them, and the defense must protect their land and the people it inhabits. If such a scenario indeed applies, the defender cannot help but fight to survive and protect.

The conqueror seeks to invade and devour with great strength. This is the other path in the realm of war. Conquest is a choice, just as Peace remains a choice.

But aside from this attempt at a bird’s eye perspective, it is a heavy decision with potential lasting consequences. It is not like hiring a bug exterminator to take care of an infestation. It is not a heroic endeavor to celebrate when those that cannot defend themselves are callously dismissed as casualties.

I wish I could get people to understand the gravity of that world, so that they might consider what it is that they say so carelessly. But as per the usual, some choose not to listen. And some things just do not need to be said, typically. So, that is one of the main purposes in my venting a bit of my pain that has been eating at me with this particular subject. People that talk so casually about war when they clearly have no knowledge of what that world is.

Yet, I often bite my tongue. When people just handwave the notion of war trivially when they have insufficient experience and/or knowledge in that area. Or worse... secondhand knowledge from friends and relatives that is ‘mentally cleared’ as being equal to my own experiences (or that of those I had known personally).

It just... bothers me. And I wish I were a better orator to adequately explain the weight of these sorts of dismissals. :-(

Offline Sabre

« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2020, 03:08:55 AM »
It's the natural progression of the culture war, which isn't ironic. You're in an unenviable position where you interact daily with both Red State and Blue State folks, while feeling like you don't quite fit with either. Most people will self-segregate into their respective tribes, but family is something that forces an unwanted interaction. Most deal with it by moving far away and growing distant, while tolerating both sides is inevitable for those who think to look back. For those left behind or who never looked back, it's impossible to see the difference between universal truths and local culture. Fish don't know they're wet.

Talk of war was inevitable ever since our current iteration of the culture war took root (let's say around 2000). It's the end result of an aggressive and hostile form of politics that treats war as yet another political game - because every previous political game was treated as a war. The reason it's taken lightly is because culture warriors had always fought in safe, virtual battlegrounds with known, enforced rules. So if an actual war is the next step, the next escalation, it's only natural that they speak from experience defined by these safe, virtual battles.

What they don't take seriously is how an actual war tends to have greater consequences for cheeky rule breaking. When someone stuffs a ballot box, or redraws a district, or puts out a smear campaign, it's just the equivalent of nudging a piece on the chessboard when no one's looking, or faking an injury to get the other side carded. Their opponent rages, but they soon return to the game and see it through. They haven't had to deal with the chaos that follows when different sides begin to escalate with weapons and war crimes.

It's not the first time it's happened in America. You could take these culture wars back not just to the American Civil War, but the Revolution and even the English Civil War. You could probably find people lamenting the belligerent rhetoric of family members on opposing sides in each generation, too. It's an old hate, and you'd probably find the better orator you're searching for in an old soldier who tried to caution against those old wars.

Offline Missy

« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2020, 10:24:47 PM »
It's the natural progression of the culture war, which isn't ironic. You're in an unenviable position where you interact daily with both Red State and Blue State folks, while feeling like you don't quite fit with either. Most people will self-segregate into their respective tribes, but family is something that forces an unwanted interaction. Most deal with it by moving far away and growing distant, while tolerating both sides is inevitable for those who think to look back. For those left behind or who never looked back, it's impossible to see the difference between universal truths and local culture. Fish don't know they're wet.

Talk of war was inevitable ever since our current iteration of the culture war took root (let's say around 2000). It's the end result of an aggressive and hostile form of politics that treats war as yet another political game - because every previous political game was treated as a war. The reason it's taken lightly is because culture warriors had always fought in safe, virtual battlegrounds with known, enforced rules. So if an actual war is the next step, the next escalation, it's only natural that they speak from experience defined by these safe, virtual battles.

What they don't take seriously is how an actual war tends to have greater consequences for cheeky rule breaking. When someone stuffs a ballot box, or redraws a district, or puts out a smear campaign, it's just the equivalent of nudging a piece on the chessboard when no one's looking, or faking an injury to get the other side carded. Their opponent rages, but they soon return to the game and see it through. They haven't had to deal with the chaos that follows when different sides begin to escalate with weapons and war crimes.

It's not the first time it's happened in America. You could take these culture wars back not just to the American Civil War, but the Revolution and even the English Civil War. You could probably find people lamenting the belligerent rhetoric of family members on opposing sides in each generation, too. It's an old hate, and you'd probably find the better orator you're searching for in an old soldier who tried to caution against those old wars.