You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

July 22, 2019, 02:17:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Witcher TV series  (Read 1071 times)

Avis habilis and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ppr128sol

• Gibbering incompetent.
  • Lord
  • Orgiest
  • Location: Where the rage of angels meets the patience of stone.
  • Better to remain silent and be thought the fool.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: The Witcher TV series
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
Geralt basically plays the role others expect of him- he always cares about others, which ironically is what gives him the epithet "Butcher of Blaviken" to begin with. He just doesn't show it much because pretending to be emotionless makes his job easier, and it doesn't really matter what he does, society will still treat him like an outcast regardless.

Offline Tolvo

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »

So Netflix put out the official teaser. It looks massively improved, and honestly has me excited. This looks very faithful to the books especially, and in part the games(The appearance of Geralt is more in line with the games than the books/comics which were more Conan the Barbarian with white hair). His wig still looks slightly off in a few shots but this looks promising, we get to see some of the influential and important characters and does something I'm happy about, it doesn't portray it as Geralt being the only focus. The books and stories are often told from many perspectives, the Witcher stories are actually split a lot between Geralt, Ciri, Yen, and Dandelion, at times with other characters taking up the focus. It really shows just how much the creators love and know the books. Caville honestly seems to be doing fine in the role though I imagine at times it will be jarring especially hearing a different Geralt since we've gotten so used to one voice for years.

Offline Formless

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »
But here's the problem. They'll turn it into another fictional epic.

I understand how the political intrigue is interesting the Witcher world. But I do not look forward to a grand battle between nations. Why do show creators think that is important? And Witchers are supposed to be impartial emotionless bounty hunters. But it looks like we'll have ourselves a preacher with a sword in his hand.

I am not looking forward to this, yet I know I'll watch it intently once it drops.

Offline Tolvo

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
The Witchers tend to show a lot of emotions in the books and even in the third game(It's an in universe thing that people believe Witchers are emotionless and the Witchers like that rumor despite them farting and drinking and joking with friends and loving and fucking), the books feature quite a few battles. These are things from the book so I'm not sure why that'd be a problem since they're faithfully adapting it? Political intrigue is pretty core to the books as is adventure and fighting monsters as well as people and governments. Geralt is not what I'd call impartial, usually he's hesitant then forced to choose and often he chooses his friends and family over the government and favors the north over Nilfgaard other than when he has to work for them. Much of the books the antagonists are leaders of governments and their agents. At least until we get to the stuff of the Elves from another world seeking out Ciri.

Offline Writersblockade

• Adding a little color to life.
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Have Shield. Will Travel.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »
I'm not familiar with the story, but based on trailer alone? I'm in.

Offline Tolvo

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 05:10:53 PM »
I'd say my biggest worry from the trailer is honestly the CG. The Witcher monsters are mostly pretty doable with practical effects outside of the really big and faster and ethereal ones. I feel like they could really use more of the Jaws methodology with them, of showing only parts of them and glimpses rather than requiring the full body far away shots since I'm not sure they have enough of the budget focused on the CG to make some of the monsters look good. Kind of like how I think showing the hand of the monster in one shot(Likely a Vampire or Necrophage) looked pretty good but then the full shot of the giant spider looks kind of bad/odd. They seem to have it down regarding the environment though.

Offline RedEve

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 09:43:07 AM »
The production values look good. I never expected them to match the amount of money HBO poured into Game of Thrones but based on the trailer alone, Netflix will have devoted a decent chunk of change to The Witcher.

So they must believe they have a potential hit on their hands.

It also seems like all of the whining about the Yennefer casting has silenced somewhat after the trailer's release.

Though I still think that the casting choice for Triss is rather weird. Supposedly she won't be in the first season that much so it might not matter anyway.

Offline Tolvo

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 02:19:29 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if it's the game making the casting choices a bit harder for some. The games had some pretty good models and voices but weren't always too accurate to the character. Yen I think was fitting but Dandelion has an awesome design, even though books Dandelion is more like George from Seinfeld or the man in the drinking poison duel from Princess Bride(Can't remember his name). If you look at the old covers for some of the books and the old comics that aren't totally canon, these characters often looked pretty weird and radically different from the CD Projekt re-imagining. The books explicitly describe Dandelion as like a middle aged balding portly guy, though Geralt calling him immature and young still works since Geralt is round 100 years old.

Offline Deamonbane

• “If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Oh, I don't get angry. I have people for that.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 07:59:06 PM »
I'm just happy that Vilgefortz is getting some screen time. He was my favorite villain from the books, with Leo Bonhart, whom I haven't seen any casting for, as a close second.

Online Starcaller

« Reply #34 on: Today at 11:51:32 AM »
I'm still cautiously excited for it. It definitely looks much better than I expected, but still a little off. I'm just hoping they're not gonna get preachy with it and turn it into some sort of cringeworthy allegory for [current year]. I'll definitely watch it when it comes out, though, but I'm hoping they'll release a second trailer before that, maybe something to give us a broader view of Geralt.