You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 20, 2018, 01:55:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 556974 times)

Sara Nilsson, Tolvo, TheGlyphstone (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Icelandic

Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #9900 on: Today at 11:30:04 AM »
And where the solution to all of life's problems is SUE THEM.

One thing I'll mention though is that if the waiter is getting death threats due to the woman's post about the incident, that might be grounds to sue her back for 'extreme and severe emotional distress'.

I'm not sure what the point was in naming the waiter if you did not plan on having people go after him in some way, shape or form, which, with a successful lawyer on his side, might be able to convince the court of that.

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9901 on: Today at 11:32:48 AM »
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2017/10/06/David_Mitchell,_L.png?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=f2c78640a45e179eecb77e991201a809

To be fair judging by this photo of the guy who she named he is a posh smug bastard. Probably gets what he deserves, since he is the baddie.

Online Icelandic

« Reply #9902 on: Today at 11:35:13 AM »
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2017/10/06/David_Mitchell,_L.png?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=f2c78640a45e179eecb77e991201a809

To be fair judging by this photo of the guy who she named he is a posh smug bastard. Probably gets what he deserves, since he is the baddie.

... That took me longer to get then I am willing to admit.

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9903 on: Today at 11:43:34 AM »
After I posted it I was afraid other Americans would get mad at me and not know who David Mitchell was.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9904 on: Today at 12:53:04 PM »
One thing I'll mention though is that if the waiter is getting death threats due to the woman's post about the incident, that might be grounds to sue her back for 'extreme and severe emotional distress'.

I'm not sure what the point was in naming the waiter if you did not plan on having people go after him in some way, shape or form, which, with a successful lawyer on his side, might be able to convince the court of that.

...she would legally have to name the employee if she's filing a lawsuit. When you sue a company for one of their employees harassing you, at least, else I'm fairly certain some lawyer could get it dismissed on some technical ground of insufficient detail or whatever bullcrap they get their gigantic paychecks for.

Honestly, the idea that she is trying to get death threats sent to him is pretty far-fetched. Though I don't doubt he received some - there's a trend for people to be sending anonymous death threats to pretty much anyone these days who becomes moderately famous in some manner or another.

(confession: I didn't know who David Mitchell was either. I had to look it up.)

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9905 on: Today at 01:06:24 PM »
Yeah I dunno the exact situation. Like him doing that to her is pretty fucked up to just approached and try to touch your child like that. I don't know exactly how she's going about the lawsuit but she probably does have a case.

A weird story also is Jack Dorsey of Twitter, the CEO.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/9k4aj8/jack-dorsey-india-twitter-caste-system

He sort of maybe caused an international incident for holding up a sign he probably didn't totally understand. Which called for the destruction of the caste based patriarchy, which personally I think is a good goal, but was a bad sign for him to hold up considering he was there to get close to and influence Indian leaders to support and promote Twitter.

Also I can't remember if I posted it.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/flat-earth-conference-attendees-explain-brainwashed-youtube-infowars/

But time for some Flat Earth Conference news including Logan Paul announcing he is a Flat Earther.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9906 on: Today at 01:13:14 PM »
The title of that article is confusing compared to the contents. Are they saying that Flat Earthers believe InfoWars is part of the conspiracy, or that InfoWars was how they learned the truth?

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9907 on: Today at 01:14:37 PM »
The article is written from the perspective of someone who believes they are brainwashed, while the Flat Earthers believe Youtube and Infowars opened their eyes.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9908 on: Today at 01:15:13 PM »
Okay, that clears it up.

Online Icelandic

« Reply #9909 on: Today at 01:28:11 PM »
...she would legally have to name the employee if she's filing a lawsuit. When you sue a company for one of their employees harassing you, at least, else I'm fairly certain some lawyer could get it dismissed on some technical ground of insufficient detail or whatever bullcrap they get their gigantic paychecks for.

Honestly, the idea that she is trying to get death threats sent to him is pretty far-fetched. Though I don't doubt he received some - there's a trend for people to be sending anonymous death threats to pretty much anyone these days who becomes moderately famous in some manner or another.

(confession: I didn't know who David Mitchell was either. I had to look it up.)

"Doster said Mitchell will return to work soon. He noted that Mitchell received death threats after Durbin posted about the incident on social media."

Posting his name and place of business on social media is not needed for any court case. And I'm not saying she did it with the intent to have people send death threats. I'm saying that in this day and age, no one is simply 'shamed' online when you post their full name and place of business, and the woman in question should not have been so reckless.

Yeah I dunno the exact situation. Like him doing that to her is pretty fucked up to just approached and try to touch your child like that. I don't know exactly how she's going about the lawsuit but she probably does have a case.

Likely not, as meeting the "extreme and severe emotional distress" standard is likely gunna be hard to do if the best argument that she has is "He put a napkin on my baby." Verses the guy receiving actual death threats for doing so. He is in a much better place to sue then she is.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/flat-earth-conference-attendees-explain-brainwashed-youtube-infowars/

But time for some Flat Earth Conference news including Logan Paul announcing he is a Flat Earther.

also what

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9910 on: Today at 01:30:33 PM »
It says she posted about the incident online, but does it state if she named him or the business location in her post(s) online?

Trying to cover someone's baby's head without permission is generally really looked down upon and not really considered a thing you can defend.

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9911 on: Today at 01:30:50 PM »

"Doster said Mitchell will return to work soon. He noted that Mitchell received death threats after Durbin posted about the incident on social media."

Posting his name and place of business on social media is not needed for any court case. And I'm not saying she did it with the intent to have people send death threats. I'm saying that in this day and age, no one is simply 'shamed' online when you post their full name and place of business, and the woman in question should not have been so reckless.

Likely not, as meeting the "extreme and severe emotional distress" standard is likely gunna be hard to do if the best argument that she has is "He put a napkin on my baby." Verses the guy receiving actual death threats for doing so. He is in a much better place to sue then she is.

also what

Yeah okay, I can't argue with that. Dragging it onto social media was stupid, but I despise Facebook as one of the greatest scourges of our generation anyways.

Online Icelandic

« Reply #9912 on: Today at 01:33:12 PM »
And that was my whole point. She likely caused him more "extreme and emotional distress" then she experienced herself, and she put herself in a position to get sued herself as well.

To be honest though, neither theoretical lawsuits hold much weight to them in my opinion.

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9913 on: Today at 01:36:21 PM »
Well it is usually common practice to name the location and business, to try and gain attention so that the business then will try to calm the situation and contact you. Usually you don't post an employee's name unless the company refuses to do anything. And that's just to warn people to avoid them if they're like a danger which this situation sounds more like a lack of training.

Online Icelandic

« Reply #9914 on: Today at 01:40:19 PM »
Well it is usually common practice to name the location and business, to try and gain attention so that the business then will try to calm the situation and contact you. Usually you don't post an employee's name unless the company refuses to do anything. And that's just to warn people to avoid them if they're like a danger which this situation sounds more like a lack of training.

Publicly naming and shaming is not needed if you are filing a lawsuit anyways.

Lets be real, shaming culture is all about causing harm in some way to someone else, not about actually getting positive results for yourself.

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9915 on: Today at 01:43:50 PM »
You tend to do it when the company isn't actually trying to resolve the problem. People do it more often when they don't believe in the system. Or when it is a really horrific incident like with beatings on airlines. She probably wants to pressure the company to make things go how she wants it to. Making it more of a public incident in the news makes the company more likely to settle or compromise to make it go away.

Online Icelandic

« Reply #9916 on: Today at 01:48:49 PM »
Making it more of a public incident in the news makes the company more likely to settle or compromise to make it go away.

Good point actually. Especially when the lawsuit is on as much shaky grounds as hers is. Kinda a scummy thing to do though in my opinion.

Online Tolvo

« Reply #9917 on: Today at 01:50:34 PM »
I don't really see a problem with it unless there is more information given. I know I'd be pretty fucking livid in her position. Someone trying to cover my baby's head without permission who is a stranger, like I get he wasn't trained but common sense alone should have told him that was a pretty bad idea.

Online Icelandic

« Reply #9918 on: Today at 01:52:58 PM »
I don't really see a problem with it unless there is more information given. I know I'd be pretty fucking livid in her position. Someone trying to cover my baby's head without permission who is a stranger, like I get he wasn't trained but common sense alone should have told him that was a pretty bad idea.

Basically this:

Suing over someone putting a napkin on your baby: Broke

Suing over getting doxxed resulting in death threats: Woke

(This topic is 100% a matter of morals though so I don't care about debating it that much.)