[Shadowlight] D&D 5E Twin Campaigns - Opposing Parties - (Closed)

Started by Wispyr, January 29, 2017, 03:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZameRagues

Slightly confused when it comes to buying things. I understand the 30 Bishi to 1 Bijou exchange, but does that mean that a dagger (2 Gold) costs 2 Bishi?
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Wispyr

Quote from: ZameRagues on February 02, 2017, 08:03:49 PM
Slightly confused when it comes to buying things. I understand the 30 Bishi to 1 Bijou exchange, but does that mean that a dagger (2 Gold) costs 2 Bishi?
Yup. For the purposes of buying starting equipment (when we get there, no one should be doing equipment quite yet), if it costs 5 or less gold in the PHB it costs that many Bishi. If it costs 6 or more gold it costs that many Bijou. The conversion rate only applies in game - and your starting currency can not be converted across the bounds of what you're given.

AndyZ

It seems like you have plenty of people, so I'm going to bow and step aside ^_^ Good luck and have fun everyone.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ZameRagues

Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Wispyr

Nooo problem!

Also... -Pants heavily more- I present... The locations world building I promised!

This is not small. It is also in the section with the maps.

Locations
Aenowa: The city of ice crystals is known primarily for being the only permanent settlement, aside from Blackfrost Temple in the whole of Everwinter. Aenowa belongs to no one but itself, but no one wants it either. The city itself is built from a resource unique to Everwinter, Icestone, which gives it the appearance that it is a city made out of glass. The people from Aenowa are hardy given what they have to deal with daily to survive. Occasionally those tribes and nomads who wander Everwinter travel far enough south to stop in Aenowa, and sometimes act as guides into the frozen land for those looking to go deeper into it.
Blackfrost Temple: Like the mage tower Rubanast, Blackfrost Temple is a site of great mystical power. The temple itself sits on a icy cliff that overlooks the Icehallow Sea, and it's dark stone work is as looming and forboding as its namesake. The generous associated with getting to this massive building are rarely worth attempting to discover the secrets hidden in its nearly forgotten halls. Those foolish enough to call Everwinter home say that the temple was once a strong hold for the avatar of one of the gods.
Cyliac: Cyliac represents one of the oldest and most prolific cities still standing in all of Kiur. While hardly the eldest of them, as far as major settlements go it has lasted an unprecedented amount of time. Mostly due to the fact that it is truly a wretched hive of scum and villainy. The city itself is a port and the closest thing one might find to a pirate city. It is, and always has been, controlled by three distinct factions - The Blackhand, the only remaining original faction still standing from back when Cyliac was built; The Red Fangs, a faction that sprouted up about sixty years ago by crushing and absorbing two other factions that existed at the time; and House Paragas, a family run organization that was responsible for nearly claiming the city shortly after its founding by bringing two of the original factions together against The Blackhand. The city isn't lawless per sey, but it can be difficult to navigate if you're unfamiliar with it. Different parts of the city belong to different factions, and what is acceptable in one area is not acceptable in all. Only those brave enough to face the wrath of a faction, crazy enough to not care, or strong enough to be confident against them, look to enter and stay within the wooden walls of Cyliac for very long.
Eodin: This large port city has now stood for just under two hundred years. It was built from the ruins of Port Kamil when it was destroyed by raiders that were common in the lands at the time. After its construction, the ones who funded its construction came together and appointed a lord to preside over it. Under his rule, and that of his son, the land as far north as Port Lahu and as far south as Tethiel was claimed by Eodin. The city was under the control of Otias Bannok until just under a year ago when Mikael Oldaren seized control. Eodin does not claim control over the Telluri Woods, and has no current official relations with its denizens.
Ilunar: Ilunar, despite being fairly small, is an exceptionally wealthy land. It is famous for only one thing: horses. Ilunarian mounts are considered the best in all of Kiur, and those looking for fine steeds for personal use, or even general, will pay hefty sums of gold to get their beasts from Ilunar. These beasts are touched with the natural magics of Kiur and said to posses immense stamina and longevity. Every horse is trained to its buyers specifications, and this training is overseen by Ru, an immortal who has taken up residence in the city and turned his efforts to seeing the animals thrive.
Induran: Since long before Eodin was a city that lorded over the Plains of Eiakas Induran has served as the primary location of food in this area of Kiur. Once upon a time the farm lands struggled to compete with the goods that were shipped from the Fields of Asis, but since import from that part of the land has slowed to a mere trickle in the last two centuries, Induran has resumed its place on top of the agricultural world. This large flourishing city isn't anywhere near as large as somewhere like Eodin, and in many ways has maintained its grass roots feel despite all of the political changes that have happened in its long life. Induran is comprised mostly of farmers who own and work the large swaths of fertile land around the town - if one were to stand in the center of the town, they could travel for a solid week in any direction and never leave farmland. This land is also responsible for a great deal of livestock breeding. The town itself is a quiet place that is watched over by carefully by the Eodin military, as it serves as the food hub for the entire area. While the city defers to the rulership of Eodin, it itself is ruled over by a conclave of nobles and the farmers guild - which itself is represented by three men and women voted on yearly by the those land owners that are part of the guild.
Kazdora: Nestled deep within Ruinwind is the city of Kazdora. Almost nothing is known about it in the outside world. Many believe, knowing how terrible that Ruinwind is, that only a people most powerful could exist in a land considered to be the least hospitable place in all of Kiur.
Ketamon: The city controls the territory going as far east as Everwinter and as far west as Annifos. It sits at the base of The Jagged Reaches and is the only true kingdom currently in Kiur. Ketamon is ruled over by King Hallus Mordein, an aging man with no hier. As time has gone on, Hallus has lost control of the city and even now it begins to fissue as people wait for their opportunity to seize power. The academy of mages, Jurnosa, was constructed by royal decree to bring wealth into the city - but it had the opposite effect. Jurnosa became the target of a criminal underground, and soon the academy found itself as perverted as the politics that founded it.
Mendow: The little village of Mendow is home to some of the greatest craftsmen that Kiur has ever known. It isn't just craftsmen, but also scholars, musicians, and more that come from this place. The village itself is unassuming and home to no more than four thousand souls. The village is said to be placed on top of a point where a ley line is very close to the surface, and thus the ambient magical energies have altered the very makeup of those who are born there. Mendowan's are instantly recognizable by their glowing violet eyes. If you're looking for an item of exceptional quality and make, you make the trek to Mendow no matter where you're from. The village itself belongs to no faction, no larger governing body, but is also typically left alone. Because of the services the people there can provide, many have come to the villages aid in times of need.
Mov'lakan: Sitting at the connection point of The Wailing Peaks and The Cindercoil is Mov'lakan the ancient city of the Storm Giants. Little is known about their people, let alone their city, but rumors are plentiful about their connection to The Cinderspire Seal, Enatir, and Mount Kidaraan.
Mov'narad: Sitting at the connection point of The Jagged Reaches and The Cindercoil is Mov'narad the ancient city of the Fire Giants. Little is known about their people, let alone their city, but rumors are plentiful about their connection to The Cinderspire Seal, Enatir, and Mount Kidaraan.
Mov'samar: Sitting at the connection point of The Bladefist Mountains and The Cindercoil is Mov'samar the ancient city of the Frost Giants. Little is known about their people, let alone their city, but rumors are plentiful about their connection to The Cinderspire Seal, Enatir, and Mount Kidaraan.
Mount Kidaraan: Very little is actually known about this ominous mountain, other than the fact that it is massive. Despite being two weeks further inward in all directions from The Cindercoil, the mountain can be seen looming high in the distance even from outside the mountain range that surrounds it. It is rumored that beneath - or perhaps within - the mountain that the ley lines of Juneeha come to a point of convergence, and it is that font that has made Kiur the land that it is.
Pholdar: While Pholdar is its proper name it is almost colloquially called The Halfborn City, and almost anyone on Kiur has heard tales of this place. Pholdar sits on the edge of Ruinwind and belongs to no one. It is a free city that is a gathering of mostly those people with mixed heritage. It was filled with half-orcs, half-elves and other beings with heritage that can't be traced to a single breed of people. It is perhaps the most welcoming place on all of Kiur. Because of its location it is mostly safe from invasion, though the citizens of the city would defend their sanctuary to the death before they were taken captive and forced to give up what they have built.
Port Candur: Originally founded by a group of fishermen, Candur has become a place of great interest and prosperity due to its close distance to Annifos. It is a place where sailors who want to test themselves come so that they can sail into the Icehallow Sea and test themselves against the ferocity of the cold, storm torn ocean.
Port Feor: Port Feor is one of the most dangerous cities in all of Kiur. Those who are willing to put themselves on the line to travel here with riches in mind. The Dreadcoast is known for its resources, and any job in Feor will pay easily ten times as much as the same job anywhere else just because of the sheer danger associated with doing it at that location. It isn't just the land itself that Feor has to worry about, but the ocean as well. This city is seemingly constantly at war with nature itself.
Port Gindir: Once the largest of the great port cities, Gindir fell when Ghethis did. Without the support of the empire to be it was no longer needed. In these days it is a shadow of its former self, and has become an outlaw town for those looking to escape the main land. It is suggested that one or more of the factions controlling Cyliac has extended their reach and taken over the city as a second hub of operations and is working to use its position close to Eodin to springboard their wealth and power.
Port Lahu: This port belongs to Eodin, and represents the furthest north settlement that claims Eodin as home. Of the four great port cities - Lahu, Candur, Feor, and Gindir - it is the smallest. It is, however, the only  port to sit directly on the Sinners Bay, and the only place for a ship to prepare to sail north into the Icehallow Sea. Port Lahu is known for being building ships, and its shipyards are the most advanced and diverse in all of Kiur.
Rubanast: Rubanast, in the many years that it has stood, has been called many names: The Dark Tower, Arcanists Watch, The Aetherium, and many more; however Rubanast has always been its proper name. The origins of the tower are mostly lost to time, though some say that the Ki'oal of Annifos could hold knowledge of some of those secrets. The impressive tower is located deep within the Deadwood, near the base of the Cinderspire Seal where The Wailing Peaks meet The Cindercoil. In its time it has served as a school to those talented enough with the arcane to be invited in, and as a personal sanctum for whatever master claimed it as their own at the time. Most recently it was the private sanctuary of the powerful wizard Eregar Wurian, who is said to have been studying the truth of the ley lines pulse deep beneath Kiur's surface. It was during these studies, nearly eighty years ago, that the Asheglade was ultimately turned into the fractured arcane badlands now known as Deadwood. Since this time the land has proven to be too perilous for many to traverse, and the tower itself is said to be encased by a powerful arcane barrier that prevents entry - but these tales can not be verified.
Ruins of Ghethis: Once upon an age, Ghethis was poised to take control of all of Kiur. Between the wealth it amassed from the profits of Senorik, its advanced mage college, and devote followers of the gods all coupled with a powerful military and navy, there had never been a more grand opportunity to take control of things. Six centuries ago, however, before any such plans could be enacted the city was taken by a terrible catastrophe of a mystical nature. It decimated the city and obliterated the populace. The energies that crushed Ghethis rolled through the entire island and altered the land, the creatures, and in some cases even the people. Even today the linger force of the arcane that destroyed this place keeps would-be adventureors away. Tales say that no currently living being, except perhaps the great dragon Inkidmur has seen what Ghethis looks like after the catastrophe.
Senorik: This city could once be called the richest in all of Kiur. Because of its location separated from the mainland of Kiur, Senorik never had to worry too much about being raided and destroyed by the greed of others. It was sheltered under the protection of Ghethis, and it made both of them incredible wealthy. The city itself is almost victorian in looks, and controlled by a group of nobles that stand out among the common folk that work the land in the Fields of Asis. However when the catastrophe that claimed Ghethis, Senorik lost most of its stability. It has enough resources to survive on its own for ages, but that catastrophe did terrible things to the land and changed their products. With the loss of support they stopped being able to ship their goods region wide and all but froze where they were. Now the city bickers with itself and nobles fight for control in an attempt to impose their thoughts on the cities future and what should be done about the looming darkness. These fights have been happening for generations, and now days the city has fallen to near ruin as it tears itself at the seems trying to get a handle on things.
Shandale: The town of Shandale was claimed by the dragon Inkidmur when the catastrophe that destroyed Ghethis also claimed his original lair. Frozen forever in time the village has been entirely converted to stone, and is sometimes called Stonesorrow Village by those who talk about its history. When the dragon came and unleashed its terrible breath on the town, it turned buildings and men alike into stone. If one was to enter the village now they could see people immortalized in granite still with the fear in their eyes as they tried to escape the dragons wrathful tantrum.
Tennamor: Often called the city of mages, Tennamor is a city of knowledge. Those seeking independant study of the arcane arts often find their way to Tennamor because of its history producing great mages in Kiur. It is often believed that it is because of how close to The Jagged Reaches that the city sits that they have such a great knowledge of magic. In truth the city was originally formed by a gathering of magi who had lost their homes for various reasons. They founded the city and allowed it to grow, calling it a sanctuary for study. Within Tennamor resides Marbleoak Hall the grandest library in all of Kiur - though access to this location is strictly regulated by the cities leadership. While the city has no official gathering of teaching, there are enough practicitioners of magic that finding a mentor here is often only as difficult as finding one that suits you.
Tethiel: This city sits at the furthest southern reaches of the control of Eodin. The city acts as a sort of border hub that watches to ensure forces from the Sonalla Highlands never attempt to encroach further up. Because of its location near the Telluri Woods, the Sonalla Highlands, Ilunar and Cyliac the city has become a large place of commerce and trade. It is through Tethiel that Eodin does a great deal of its trading outside of its borders, and also where it imports goods from the south and east in from.
Tya's Watch: A long valley exists in The Bladefist Mountains that connections the Plains of Eiakas to The Iron Flats without needing to travel all the way south. The valley is long enough that a military force could be marched through the pass, and that never sat well with Otias Bannok. During his rule he sent a champion, Tya Shannis to construct a great keep and take up a vigil to protect Eodin from incursion from Vahla. The keep the largest military staging ground in all of the lands controlled by Eodin. It is a massive stone and iron compound with high walls that sits at the mouth of the Gomodi Pass on the eastern side. The keep itself is large enough to house five thousand men and women.
Vahla: It is from the fortress city of Vahla that the tyrant king of The Iron Flats rules. This city is just as much impregnable fortress as it is civilian dwelling. Massive iron walls keep the interior safe from outside attack, while making it equally difficult for those inside to escape the reach of the cities ruler.

As always if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Wispyr

Wispyr

CeruleanSerenity

Don't worry, it's going to take me a while to finish the first part of my sheet, at least... I've been exhausted recently. There are a few questions I'll need to ask, but one might as well be asked here, I think.

How do silver and bronze convert to the new monetary system? Would an item worth 5 silver cost half a Bishi? I don't need to know yet (and I'm probably the only one unclear about this...), but I thought I might as well ask while it's on my mind.

Wispyr

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on February 02, 2017, 09:51:20 PM
How do silver and bronze convert to the new monetary system? Would an item worth 5 silver cost half a Bishi? I don't need to know yet (and I'm probably the only one unclear about this...), but I thought I might as well ask while it's on my mind.
It would cost 5 Bishi, not half of one. The conversion isn't perfect for starting costs, but it doesn't need to be. The characters are level 5 and the equipment is standard. So it's pretty much like unimportant for the overall amount of currency they'd have gotten and gone through by the time they're where they are now. And the costs will make much more sense once in game.

That said
Bishi = Copper + Silver
Bijou = Gold + Platinum

Roughly.

Wispyr

ZameRagues

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on February 02, 2017, 09:51:20 PM
Don't worry, it's going to take me a while to finish the first part of my sheet, at least... I've been exhausted recently. There are a few questions I'll need to ask, but one might as well be asked here, I think.

Don't worry, I already asked about money confusions. So you're not alone.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: Wispyr on February 02, 2017, 09:54:53 PM
It would cost 5 Bishi, not half of one. The conversion isn't perfect for starting costs, but it doesn't need to be. The characters are level 5 and the equipment is standard. So it's pretty much like unimportant for the overall amount of currency they'd have gotten and gone through by the time they're where they are now. And the costs will make much more sense once in game.

That said
Bishi = Copper + Silver
Bijou = Gold + Platinum

Roughly.
I see, thank you. That was my second guess... it is a little weird for costs, but fine for starting equipment and it won't matter once you're free to set prices in-game, like you said.

Wispyr

As a super quick and general example of how this works. When we get to the point where you are buying equipment (which is not yet!) if you wanted to buy a Handaxe, a pouch, and signal whistle.

According to the PHB:
Handaxe (5gp)
Pouch (5sp)
Signal Whistle (5cp)

When you are buying these as starting equipment, each would simply cost you 5 Bishi, for a total of 15 Bishi. However in game the prices would look more like this:

Handaxe (30 Bishi)
Pouch (20 Bishi)
Signal Whistle (10 Bishi)

If you were to buy these items in game it would cost you a total of 60 Bishi.

Basically at the point where the characters are, starting equipment is something that they've had access to. I could turn you loose on the PHB and say "take what you want" and it'd amount to the same thing. By level 5 the characters have acquired, spent, reacquired, easily a total of about 900gp each. Since we're not using it though, just giving you "good deals" on making the initial purchases which they'd already have had doesn't really affect anything.

Phaia

All my character needs is some clothing, thieves' tools, a hand crossbow and bolts and a dagger. She can just 'borrow' everything else!

Phaia

Countdown0

Quote from: Phaia on February 02, 2017, 11:17:52 PM
All my character needs is some clothing, thieves' tools, a hand crossbow and bolts and a dagger. She can just 'borrow' everything else!

Phaia

Because she's totally going to give them all back, right? Definitely maybe?
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

ZameRagues

Quote from: Countdown0 on February 03, 2017, 12:53:21 AM
I can vouch that they are hers after 90 days.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Chulanowa

Sadly, I can't get my brain to pull together any character that i like.  :-\ So I'm going to bow out. Thanks for the consideration Wispyr!

Wispyr

Quote from: Chulanowa on February 03, 2017, 12:56:08 AM
Sadly, I can't get my brain to pull together any character that i like.  :-\ So I'm going to bow out. Thanks for the consideration Wispyr!
Thanks for the interest Chulanowa! I'm sure I'll see you around somewhere else. <3

Cataclysmic Archangel

*sits horribly impatiently since his character sheet has been done for two days*

Phaia

I was looking at the breakdown of the classes so far offered and was wondering. Is there a problem with clerics in 5e? No one offered a cleric concept and mine is the only rogue concept. I am curious as to why so many warlocks?

I have not played much 5e so just wondering?

Quote from: Countdown0 on February 03, 2017, 12:53:21 AM
Of course She would ....well maybe... just because she might return bishi instead of the bijou she 'borrowed' shows she is more then willing to return things... Right?  O:)

Phaia

Zaer Darkwail

No wrong with clerics, just that most imagine clerics = first aid kit :P.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Phaia on February 03, 2017, 10:14:54 AM
I was looking at the breakdown of the classes so far offered and was wondering. Is there a problem with clerics in 5e? No one offered a cleric concept and mine is the only rogue concept. I am curious as to why so many warlocks?

really?  No clerics?  that's... weird.

I like Clerics, although they're a little less powerful than 3.5.  but everything is a little less powerful.  If Paladin didn't suit better, this concept could have been Warlock/Cleric.

Warlock gets used a LOT because it's very easy to dip in and take Eldritch Blast (admit it, you all did) for access to ranged power with almost no effort.  While that's not at all the reason why I took it for myself, concept-wise, I absolutely took the power because it was available to me.  In 3.5 Warlocks could actually turn their Blast into a melee weapon... that's I guess the Pact of the Sword now, so it's a little of both.

Dominique

I find that odd, I really do. If it wasn't for me trying to step out of my comfort zone a bit I'd have absolutely gone with cleric! I love healing ::)

That said, I do have one single healing spell still.... that counts, right? Right?

Hobbes1266

Quote from: Arcannyx on February 03, 2017, 10:23:53 AM
really?  No clerics?  that's... weird.

I like Clerics, although they're a little less powerful than 3.5.  but everything is a little less powerful.  If Paladin didn't suit better, this concept could have been Warlock/Cleric.

Warlock gets used a LOT because it's very easy to dip in and take Eldritch Blast (admit it, you all did) for access to ranged power with almost no effort.  While that's not at all the reason why I took it for myself, concept-wise, I absolutely took the power because it was available to me.  In 3.5 Warlocks could actually turn their Blast into a melee weapon... that's I guess the Pact of the Sword now, so it's a little of both.
Hey hey hey now! I picked Warlock because it fit my concept, this is my second time making a character sheetfor fifth edition, first time I will (hopefully) play it, I didn't even know about Eldritch blast until after I was in the middle of making my character sheet.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Dominique on February 03, 2017, 10:29:49 AM
I find that odd, I really do. If it wasn't for me trying to step out of my comfort zone a bit I'd have absolutely gone with cleric! I love healing ::)

That said, I do have one single healing spell still.... that counts, right? Right?

I too, have 1 healing spell.

Quote from: Hobbes1266 on February 03, 2017, 10:33:36 AM
Hey hey hey now! I picked Warlock because it fit my concept, this is my second time making a character sheetfor fifth edition, first time I will (hopefully) play it, I didn't even know about Eldritch blast until after I was in the middle of making my character sheet.

I never said it didn't have other reasons.  Like I said, it was my concept also.  But I said it gets chosen a lot for that.  Granted, that was also 3.5, where EB was a gimme... in this game, most casters have access to a blaster cantrip instead.