You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 25, 2018, 09:54:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A DM World Building.  (Read 641 times)

Offline Laughing HyenaTopic starter

A DM World Building.
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »
Well here I am looking for outside input but this time it is concerning World Building for a DnD Campaign. I have good ideas in my mind and a plethora to implement but it never hurts to get a second opinion to flesh things out further or help point out other things. Hence the creation of this thread to put down ideas in a place where others can view them and help give feedback. The help is always appreciated and so are all of you.

Onto the first segment of what I intended. The idea was to do something different with perhaps one of the most peaceful and relaxed heroic races, the halfling. Instead of the traditionalist home under the hills with good comforts and tranquil living, or occasional mischief makers and thieves with a few adventurous spirits on occasion... I decided on something I feel more unique. Basically the concept is Halflings that reside in a canyon, or plateau, a city of stone chiseled out of the very landmark. They ride on large birds of prey waging wars against evil beings rather than being the passive but brave folk of the shires. Small warriors with strength unbecoming of their size.

The issues I am running into is what exactly to change about them as a playable race to keep it fair.

World building is never easy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:18:19 AM by Laughing Hyena »

Offline Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination -- Blessed by Aeval
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 10
Re: A DM World Building.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »
  A very interesting challenge.  It looks like you've got a solid grip on the problem from a storyteller's perspective.  Mechancialy, are you thinking 5th editon? 

Offline Laughing HyenaTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:45:16 AM »
5th edition or Pathfinder really. I know those are popular.

Offline Melendrith

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:25:33 AM »
Assuming this is with mechanical constraints in mind, provide options to swap out for traits normally from other races. An example that comes easily to mind are dwarves.

In Pathfinder, wayangs are one of the small races with no Strength penalty. You can also have them treat halfling keyword weapons as if they were one size larger. Among others, the RP (Race Point) that Pathfinder has is very robust.

For 5E I am less familiar, but picking up some notes from Human, Half-Orc and Dwarf might help. Vision might also be low light if it makes sense for the terrain they are battling in.

Lastly, think about your fluff, what classes would many of these halflings be? Then alter their stats to support these classes.

For example, canyon plateau fighting baddies sounds like an above ground affair (to me) so low light vision might not make sense. With such terrain ranged weapons would work well, making me think of say Rangers, PF Gunslingers, maybe even 5E Warlocks, PF Kineticists. So that opens up the idea of Con and Wis as possible stats for them. Just an example.