You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

March 18, 2019, 05:07:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 22391 times)

Offline Atarn

Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #400 on: November 04, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
I remember a Werewolf supplement that has a gay pride rally that turns into a full blown riot with the riot caused by an evil megacorporation because . . . reasons??? . . . and some of the rioters and cops are secretly evil monsters called Formori and one of the werewolves is gay and his evil dad shows up to try and recruit him into the Black Spiral Dancers.
That would be Tribe Book: Children of Gaia.
Which has: Narrative Couple mocking the Litany, Jesus Was a Kinfolk to the CoG, SuperSpecial Stick Fighting For CoG's Only. And I still think it's one of the easier books to read all these years down the line <.<

Online TheSithChicken

« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »
The old Tribe books were best used for their new crunch and not much else.

Online Love And Submission

« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »
I find that true of most RPGs though. That's one of the reasons I like PBTA honestly. You can craft an expansive amount of well-written lore but most GMs and PCs are going to ignore it if it doesn't fit their campaign and you can't really predict the tone of every campaign as an author.

That's why I love Nights Black Agent's whole Dust, Mirrors, Burn system where they give multiple styles to play the game. Modular design in RPGs is the best and I love seeing it.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »
heh, so took a couple days to get to..

But got my book for the new Kult RPG! Bout time, only about a 3 year wait... Funny thing, it came on halloween..

Game is interesting thus far, hope to get a chance to read more over the weekend!

Online BlyTopic starter

« Reply #404 on: November 10, 2018, 05:27:21 PM »
Just got the 5th edition core rulebook of Vampire the Masquerade--friend got it for me. Huh. It's...very different. I hadn't thought I'd like it after their genuinely dreadful playtest way back when, but I find myself pleasantly surprised by the final product. Debating whether or not I want to run a group game of this. I'm pretty intrigued by the mechanical differences & I like trying new things as a GM. I feel like it might play better as a series of one-shots rather than a longer game, though, at least for forums.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:28:42 PM by Blythe »

Online Love And Submission

« Reply #405 on: November 29, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
Why is the icon for Dungeon and Dragons on Twitch red book D&D? That's such a weird edition to be the thumbnail because it's probably the least popular edition.

I'm not saying that it has to be the fifth edition, it could easily be second or three point five but first edition 1977 D&D seems like a weird choice to me.

It's also the same with Shadowrun.  I think what I find strange about is that twitch's audience is primarily made up of people 20 to 30 years old. There's not a lot of people who were playing D&D in 1977  on twitch so it's weird to use that as the icon when most people using the site won't even recognize it.

Offline Morte

« Reply #406 on: December 06, 2018, 03:27:39 PM »
I recently bought a copy of The Strange; but haven't had a chance to play it. It seems quite interesting for a premise though however, what with the myriad pocket dimensions within' the Strange itself and the dark energy network.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #407 on: January 23, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »
Question!!
Anybody know if the Numenera rpg is any good? Humble bundle has all the books in pdf format for sale and was curious..

Online Ziether

« Reply #408 on: January 23, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
I haven't played it, but I've read lore and know several people who love it. The whole Cypher ruleset is excellent. That's Cypher, The Strange, Numenera, and Predation.

Online BlyTopic starter

« Reply #409 on: January 23, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »
There's actually a very good deal for Numenera on Humble Bundle right now. It's one of the Bundles right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/numenera-monte-cook-books

Even the $1 tier is incredibly worthwhile.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #410 on: January 23, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
Yep! Thats why i was asking bout it! Know it was a pc game thing... but never played it so dont know anything about it :t

Online BlyTopic starter

« Reply #411 on: January 23, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »
This is why I should read the thread more carefully. >_>

I just got the second tier of the bundle--I'll read through it and give you my thoughts in-thread tomorrow. :)

Online BlyTopic starter

« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2019, 05:42:58 AM »
Alrighty, a small write-up (by no means complete or comprehensive; there's much more to the game than what I have here) on Numenera for those considering if that Humble Bundle is right for them:

First thoughts & system:
* Financially it's a steal. The two main books, Discovery and Destiny, are about $20 apiece normally. When you start adding other books in the mix, the savings is huge. There's a very good chance when I get paid I'm upgrading to tier three of this bundle.
* Numenera characters have three stats: Might, Intellect, and Speed. 'Pool' represents the raw talent of a stat, 'Edge' allows you to reduce how much you spend from your Pool to do tasks, and 'Effort' lets you spend points from your Pool to reduce task difficulty. (Effort can also be used for other things, like increasing damage, etc.) Character creation involves creating a statement using the rubric: "I am a [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN] who [VERBS]" and tying that into your gameplay in various ways. There are three character 'classes'--Glaive (like Fighters), Nanos (the sci equivalent of wizards), and Jacks (sort of like Rogues).
* Rolls are done fairly simply. Difficulty is on a 1 - 10 scale (higher is harder), and Difficulty will determine a target number to beat (usually three times higher than Difficulty). You roll a d20 and try to get higher than the target difficulty. The GM will likely associate a certain stat Pool with a roll, and some rolls require minimum spending from certain Pools to undertake a task at all.

Moving on to the world:
* The Ninth World is weird. Hella weird. There's eight previous worlds, and the setting is so far in the future that this is the 'Ninth' major civilization/age. This means that the whole world is dotted with a ton of artifacts, locales, and creatures that are scientific relics of other eras...but as far as the current population is concerned? They view it as mostly being like magic. This current age has sort of meandered back to a feudal outlook. Think "sci-fantasy meets medieval post-apocalypse" and you have a sort of vibe for this world.
* There's a sect of individuals called Aeon Priests led by the Amber Pope. Their religion is...well, science. They aren't as rigid as one might associate with typical 'religions.'
* The best way to look at the world is...think of an average item from our era. Like a smartphone. The average Ninth World denizens would never know what that was (Aeon Priests or especially savvy adventurers might have a bit of a better notion, though). But maybe that's a relic from another era! So an enterprising character might find one, turn it on, and have no idea what the shiny entertaining screen means...and they clumsily muck about with it until they know how to use some apps. (Maybe the smartphone still works because it's connected to a hyper-advanced datasphere, maybe it's a much more sophisticated version of what we know now). But the character who found it? It's a magical portable box with a glass window that shows them things. Numenera is Earth through the strangest looking-glass, an Earth so far in the future that the mundane things of our everyday life might look like magic. Throw in some seriously hardcore sci-fi (portals, space elevators, terraforming, gene engineering), and you see how strange it might be to the average character in that world, who is about at medieval-level understanding.
* All animals are weird. Take any animal you know. Show it to H. P. Lovecraft and give him a lot of science. Now look at that animal. And yep, you have the general idea of how 'oh snap, whoa' some of the creatures in Numenera can be. They, too, are relics of eras gone by, of extensive genetic alteration, breeding, or experimentation. (...also dinosaurs are kinda back >_> )

GM perspective:
* Very light system, super easy to pick up on the fly. Requires almost no prep. Very easy to improv if you understand the setting well.
* Making monsters is insanely easy. I can make my own unique ones in less than a minute. Literally. No joke here. It's genuinely that easy.
* Dense worldbuilding and setting material. The challenge of a GM with this is not mechanics, but bringing Numenera to life.

Player perspective:
* If you have ever been frustrated with high-crunch mechanics and just want to focus on your character's backstory and personality with minimal pesky numbers in your way, you will like this system.
* Very easy to just jump in.

Cons:
* Well....very dense setting. It can take awhile to get used to it's tone. Numenera is almost totally gonzo at times, and not everyone handles gonzo very well.
* If you aren't a fan of d20 systems, I'm not sure this would win you. As d20 systems go, this one is super light, but it's still a d20 system.
* If you really like to have mechanics for most things, this may not be for you. Numenera runs very lightly (Skills are not even strictly defined--there's no formal list, only suggestions), so if you require strict boundaries, you might struggle with this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:19:53 AM by Bly »

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #413 on: January 25, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »
Thanks Blythe!! Gives a good bit to think over!

Offline Azuresun

« Reply #414 on: January 27, 2019, 02:58:02 AM »
White Wolf (or whatever company which owns the games now) has always balanced that fine line between making interesting games with dark themes, and those who look upon their successful predecessors but don't achieve the finesse that made those ones successful.

The original OWoD is very, very 90's. It's that whole Goth-Punk aesthetic of fighting The Man and trying not to get crushed by the system, with the fingerprints of Highlander, The Crow and early Anne Rice all over it, with earnest attempts at social relevance and adorably edgy "this ain't your daddy's RPG!" bits of vulgarity. And metaplots, because metaplots were the big thing in the 90's. That's why I love it, but I think it's hard to adapt it to the modern day and keep what made it cool. Mage20 in particular just felt....kind of embarrassed about its origins, and came across like a 40-something guy trying to prove he's still hip and down with the kids.

My favourite of the OWoD line was actually Demon: The Fallen. I liked how it flipped the usual WoD dynamic of playing a human turning into a monster--you're playing a monster who suddenly finds themselves seeing things from a human point of view. And also because it was the least bleak of the premises, holding out a promise of being able to legitimately make things better if you could overcome your own rage and bitterness, though it sure wouldn't be easy. Humans explicitly were inherently great and could have been so much more if the traitors among the demons hadn't screwed everything up. And I really liked the post-apocalyptic vibe, where your characters are essentially shell-shocked survivors poking their heads back into the world and trying to figure out what can be rebuilt from the wreckage.

And the Earthbound were just incredibly cool villains. Both conceptually, and the way they were designed--a lot of the WoD settings suffered from the fact that your enemies were basically either "you with +1000 years of resources and planning",or an infinite respawning army of monsters whose victory was inevitable. The Earthbound were both incredibly powerful but with their travel restrictions and their dependence on their cults, there were plausible ways for new PC's to interact with or fight them without getting squashed like bugs.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #415 on: January 27, 2019, 03:22:24 AM »
The original OWoD is very, very 90's. It's that whole Goth-Punk aesthetic of fighting The Man and trying not to get crushed by the system, with the fingerprints of Highlander, The Crow and early Anne Rice all over it, with earnest attempts at social relevance and adorably edgy "this ain't your daddy's RPG!" bits of vulgarity. And metaplots, because metaplots were the big thing in the 90's. That's why I love it, but I think it's hard to adapt it to the modern day and keep what made it cool.

I love this description.

I never saw Highlander, I probably should, but the rest is very spot on.

Your summary makes me want to read Demon.

Offline Azuresun

« Reply #416 on: January 27, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
I love this description.

I never saw Highlander, I probably should, but the rest is very spot on.

Your summary makes me want to read Demon.

It's well worth it, plus it's pretty cheap on DTRPG. Fair warning, the mechanics are....unpolished, and there's not much balance between character types. But it's a White Wolf game, that's pretty much par for the course. When I did run it, I used a simple semi-freeform system.

Of the supplements, I'd highly recommend Earthbound and Houses of the Fallen (kind of a seven-in-one splatbook). They're both light on mechanics, but littered with great ideas. The other supplements are variable in quality, and the adventure module is a strong contender for the worst one WW ever put out.  ;)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Essentially, the module ends with the PC's either forced to become servants of an Earthbound, or to make enemies of a bundle of powerful NPC's, who will likely try to kill them right away if they refuse. And then....that's it. It just ends! Do you want any advice on how to handle your PC's being railroaded into this situation, and how to follow up on it? Tough.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2019, 02:01:35 PM »
So, i got my PDF of "Things from the flood" the rpg sequel to tales from the loop. And damn im loving it. gone are the bright sunny hopeful days of the 80s. Welcome to the 90s. Life sucks. get a fucking helmet.

economy has gone to trash due to the failure of both loops in the world, poorly handled governments, and general idiocy of people, the "self balancing machines" (aka robots) have gone haywire, and in russia a group even demanded independance... Before the Kremlin nuked them. Literally.

Electronics have developed a literal cancer, weird globs of flesh growing inside many types of electronics breaking through the casing before just pulsing horribly and occasionally wiggling tentacles. The worlds slowly starting to fallapart, and your expected to continue living as a 16-19 year old like nothings wrong, despite the fact you now have the internet at your fingertips, the remains of old "new" technology just waiting for you in the scrap yards, and the weight of the world lining up for your shoulders....

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
One of the problems I had with Numenera when I tried to play is it that Might is hit points, and if you play a Glaive, using your cool abilities and getting punched in the face both result in a loss of Might.

Offline seasparrow

« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »
Tabletop list time!

Systems I’ve Played: *

D&D 3.5e*
Pathfinder*
FATE*
Apocalypse World
Magical Burst
Everyone is John
Ryuutama
Dungeon World
DCC RPG
13th Age
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
Risus*
D&D 5e*
Savage Worlds*

Genesys
Fantasy AGE
Valor
Elemental Axes 2e
Blades in the Dark
10 Candles
Yeld
ICRPG
Knave
Honey Heist
*DM’d / ran a campaign for

Online Sain

« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »
Tabletop list time!

Systems I’ve Played: *

D&D 3.5e*
Pathfinder*
FATE*
Apocalypse World
Magical Burst
Everyone is John
Ryuutama
Dungeon World
DCC RPG
13th Age
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
Risus*
D&D 5e*
Savage Worlds*

Genesys
Fantasy AGE
Valor
Elemental Axes 2e
Blades in the Dark
10 Candles
Yeld
ICRPG
Knave
Honey Heist
*DM’d / ran a campaign for

That's an impressive list! Some really good systems there too. I wish Genesys was easier to adapt to Elliquiy dice roller :/

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
Agreed on the genesys..

Though, i've been happy to find a 40k module thing for genesys which is pretty good (imo, better then the "wrath and glory" stuff..)

Now trying to find something for iron kingdoms, as that seems like it would be an excellent system for it.

If only i could find a good star wars conversion for it.... ;3

((yes i totally know edge of empire, age of rebellion, force and destiny. got all three plus most the extras)

Online Sain

« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2019, 10:11:27 AM »
Agreed on the genesys..

Though, i've been happy to find a 40k module thing for genesys which is pretty good (imo, better then the "wrath and glory" stuff..)

Now trying to find something for iron kingdoms, as that seems like it would be an excellent system for it.

If only i could find a good star wars conversion for it.... ;3

((yes i totally know edge of empire, age of rebellion, force and destiny. got all three plus most the extras)

My GM also made a really good wh40k adaptation for Genesys, which we played for a few dozen sessions, though I don't think that one is published anywhere... Should pester him to do so since that adaptation was amazingly fun to play and surprisingly 'balanced'.

Offline TheLaughingOne

Online Sain

« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
Too lazy to go over it in detail, but I guess ours has a bit more detailed rules and more class, equipment, talent options. Less ready made content such as adversaries though. Wouldn't know the finer details without play testing so hard to say ;D