You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 20, 2018, 03:24:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 18326 times)

Offline Cold Heritage

Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #350 on: March 21, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
I have to say, I've never seen that one. Although I have seen someone try to order a pizza to get a re-roll...

I envy your good fortune.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »

I’m involved in Pathfinder Society and the society (an organized rpg for Pathfinder) put out a new set of rules wherein if the table spends 20/50 dollars they get perks... Almost INSTANTANEOUSLY several players suggested doing events at local pubs/bars.  Of course our local ‘mini-con’ is Cayden’s Crawl, named after the drunken adventurer god of Pathfinder

Offline Avalon29

« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
Ended up backing Liminal RPG on kickstarter. It's about supernatural detectives in modern day England, not sure if it covers all of the U.K or just England. It's doing quite well too. Already got enough for the magician, vampire, fae, and werewolf expansions and is working towards its final stretch goal. Looks and sounds like it'll be fun. The concept reminds me of the Dresden Files so I'm looking forward to it.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
This could be interesting

https://www.evilhat.com/home/scum-and-villainy/

Blades in the Dark goes all Firefly.

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
So I own a copy of Unknown Armies and was flipping through it last night. But I've never played it. I'm not even sure how it would play, in practice. Ditto for Amber.

Offline wander

• That Tired Lone Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Not A Gentleman
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, though Master to Noone.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »
This could be interesting

https://www.evilhat.com/home/scum-and-villainy/

Blades in the Dark goes all Firefly.

Blades always struck me as a fun game to play, seems fairly light on rules like Powered by the Apocalypse, with a dicepool mechanic similar to World of Darkness though with d6s.

I'd love to play Scum and Villiany, as if someone wanted to do Blades like Firefly, that just sounds awesome.  :-)

Offline Avalon29

« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
Blades is really fun and they've got quite a few spin off  coming for it including a weird west and a low powered super villain one. That's just the ones from the top of my head, I know there are quite a few more.

Liminal RPG released a play report today and some of things mentioned sound really fun.

The werewolf character being tempted to eat the faerie food and drink their drink in the Goblin Market, bartering in exchange for old memories and lost ambitions. Fortunately, the half-trained magician in the crew could help him leave the market without slipping too far in time.

The magician arguing with the Seller of Dreams, a mysterious Fae being, while he tried to tempt them and made some bitterly unpleasant jibes aimed at the former detective in the crew, leading the changeling character to point out he was a "most unpleasant creature"

Liminal RPG is on its last couple of days if anybody is interested.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9257403/liminal-rpg/description

Edit: To avoid double posting I got a double dose of happy news. Liminal RPG hit their final stretch goal so it's getting a big expansion on a bunch of different locations I'm so excited for it now. ^^

As a backer for the Spire I also got an early copy of the Black Magic expansion, not sure if it's an early draft or the final copy but it comes with some good stuff including a new class in the form of the Blood Witches with accompanying expansion on their lore, plus 3 new general advancement tracks. Which are Deep Apiarist, bee mages who believe the magical heart of the spire is evil and want to protect the spire from it. Demonologist and an expansion on demons and demonology. Then one of the more interesting things is a general advance tree called the Grangou they're like this fusion of hedge witches and  cooks, who use magic to help protect and feed their downtrodden communities with magic abilities like stone soup. It makes me even more eager to try it out. Probably going to try again with getting a game going in the future
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:41:51 PM by Avalon29 »

Offline BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #357 on: March 29, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
I got gifted a wonderful hardback copy of Blades of the Dark recently, and I'm super impressed with it so far. It's a game I know I want to try playing or running one day.

Also got gifted Dystopia Rising & Havenshield. Former is a very post-apoc game, it looks like, latter is a D&D-esque thing. Haven't had time to peruse them too much yet, but they do both look interesting.

Also eyeballing getting the V20 supplement Beckett's Jyhad Diary for my birthday soon-ish. I normally don't do much in the way of metaplot for VtM, but I'm just insanely curious how the metaplot got updated. I mostly read the metaplot for flavor, though maybe I'd actually use the book if something in the updated metaplot ran away with my imagination. >_>

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2018, 08:16:06 PM »
I have Beckett's Diary. It's a bit of a weird one as it's not a traditional kind of fiction but actually made completely of excerpts from Beckett's Diary and the art throughout makes it look like pieces of pages torn from various books through the ages, some are typed, others hand written... I haven't read it through due to being set out in such a chaotic matter, though I know it also is supposed to form the background meta going into Vampire 5e.

The Gentleman Gamer was involved in the project, a man I greatly respect for his knowledge of lore based on his youtube channel.

Some points;

Elders all around the world venture to the Middle East for the Beckoning.
The Red Star appeared though has since vanished.
V:tM Bloodlines events are canon and have occured.
The Assamite Schism has not happened.
Thin-Bloodeds have stabilised to make the 16th Generation.
Tremere antitribu have all been destroyed.
Kupala has been released, though has made no move as of yet.
The Tal'Maha'Re are active; the 6th Great Maelstrom has not yet occured in the Underworld.
Following from the above two points, Demons and Earthbound are around, so they must have escaped the Abyss by another means (not mentioned what).
Either the Week of Nightmares didn't happen or was vastly bigged up compared to the bodycount thought to have taken place.

There's a fair load of other things mentioned, though as said, I haven't read the whole thing. ^^

« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
I have Beckett's Diary. It's a bit of a weird one as it's not a traditional kind of fiction but actually made completely of excerpts from Beckett's Diary and the art throughout makes it look like pieces of pages torn from various books through the ages, some are typed, others hand written... I haven't read it through due to being set out in such a chaotic matter, though I know it also is supposed to form the background meta going into Vampire 5e.

The Gentleman Gamer was involved in the project, a man I greatly respect for his knowledge of lore based on his youtube channel.

Some points;

Elders all around the world venture to the Middle East for the Beckoning.
The Red Star appeared though has since vanished.
V:tM Bloodlines events are canon and have occured.
The Assamite Schism has not happened.
Thin-Bloodeds have stabilised to make the 16th Generation.
Tremere antitribu have all been destroyed.
Kupala has been released, though has made no move as of yet.
The Tal'Maha'Re are active; the 6th Great Maelstrom has not yet occured in the Underworld.
Following from the above two points, Demons and Earthbound are around, so they must have escaped the Abyss by another means (not mentioned what).
Either the Week of Nightmares didn't happen or was vastly bigged up compared to the bodycount thought to have taken place.

There's a fair load of other things mentioned, though as said, I haven't read the whole thing. ^^

Not what I was expecting, but really neat. I kind of dig stuff that puts me in mind of epistolary formats, and that sounds like it would definitely hit that general tone for me.

I do kinda dig that Bloodlines is canon in there. The 16th generation, though? I admit, that one shocks me a bit, but in a "hmm, I want to know about this" sort of way.

The Tremere antitribu being destroyed is a plot element I think I welcome. The Schism not happening...I'm a bit mixed. Really digging that Kupala's been released though. >_>

You've given me a lot to think about for this--thank you! That info really does help a lot in my consideration whether or not to make the purchase! :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:26:49 PM by Blythe »

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2018, 09:39:51 PM »
Talking about it has kinda tempted me to actually sit down and give it a proper read, especially now as I know what it is going into it now. I was as mentioned before expecting something maybe kinda more like Days of Fire, if that makes sense? It's more like Beckett's Diary is made of the in-universe e-mail excerpts ala Days of Fire's prologue and epilogue in it's entirety. If you know that before you open the book, it becomes less of a shock I feel than how it has been advertised.

As mentioned, lots of cool chatter on the metaplot from an in-universe POV and lots of things in there I never even touched upon in the above semi-review. Pretty much I'm sure there'll be at least one thing in there that'll catch your eye and you'll want to read.

Offline Chanticleer

« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:11 PM »
Not what I was expecting, but really neat. I kind of dig stuff that puts me in mind of epistolary formats, and that sounds like it would definitely hit that general tone for me.

I feel that the epistolary story is a sadly underused motif these days. I've seen a few which mostly focused on emails. There was a glorious one by Emma Bull and Steven Brust (there are some names to conjure with!) called "Freedom & Necessity" which I feel is probably the best modern written example of the classic epistolary. Highly recommend.

« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2018, 12:48:50 AM »
I feel that the epistolary story is a sadly underused motif these days. I've seen a few which mostly focused on emails. There was a glorious one by Emma Bull and Steven Brust (there are some names to conjure with!) called "Freedom & Necessity" which I feel is probably the best modern written example of the classic epistolary. Highly recommend.

I love epistolary stories, so fantasy or horror via an epistolary format sounds utterly divine. I'll have to check that out!  Thank you!  :-)

One of these days I hope I get to write an epistolary-type story here on E. Man, an epistolary-format for an oWoD Vampire 1x1 game would be the bees knees for me. (...now that I think on it, Clan Nosferatu is really set up for potentially amazing tales written in that fashion that could use e-mails).

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2018, 03:45:18 AM »
That's a pretty neat idea, I can dig something like that.

Just looking through the Diary now and there are actually pages between each chapter that give options from the epistolary stories that discuss them in a bit more detail and give options for your campaign. These are essentially though plot-seeds written as small paragraphs.

What is interesting is that the different plot-seeds pages come from a vast variety of locales, due to Beckett's travels. An essay is at the end regarding metaplot that lasts for seven pages at the back of the book and looks quite comprehensive).

The book is also a tome, of course! Over 550 pages and the quality you'd come to expect from a Vamp 20 book.  ;D

The more I dig in, the more I find... It's one of them kinda books.  :D

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
... checking it out... not as many as i actually should as some of these kickstarter things i backed were suppose to be released as far back as 2015 and aint seen hide nor hair.

... Think kickstarters kinda losing any good faith it had built up with this junk...

Offline Skynet

« Reply #365 on: March 31, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »
... checking it out... not as many as i actually should as some of these kickstarter things i backed were suppose to be released as far back as 2015 and aint seen hide nor hair.

... Think kickstarters kinda losing any good faith it had built up with this junk...

If you think that's bad, one of the biggest Pathfinder self-publishers has a project 5 years past the estimated release date!

And nobody's seen hide nor hair of the creator since 2015.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2018, 03:14:22 AM »
Wraith 20 had a planned 2014 release... the backers have a 'beta' pdf atm so Onyx Path can errata it for general release next year...

Fun and games.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2018, 03:29:43 AM »
Yeah, there needs to be some actual accountability on kickstarter as way to many people are grabbing the bank and doing a runner...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
It's still better than IndieGoGo, who will take your money even if the project fails to hit its funding goal.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
7th Sea - 1868 (7th Sea goes Aetherpunk)

So I saw this the other day, and dismissed it as an April Fools. Apparently it's not, or else John Wick is playing the joke well beyond what is traditional :)

Looking at the little teaser they released, I think this could actually work pretty well. And we now get to go to Mars the Red Planet of Al-Qahira as well. Red martians and Green martians maybe?

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »
John Carter and Dejah Thoris goodness always at least gets a rubberneck from me.  :-)

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
In 1858, Castillian scholar and explorer Paz Odalis Ricardo Fernández believed he could use the 7th Sea to reach Terra’s nearest neighbor: the Red Planet of Al-Qahira (so named by Crescent scholars). He left in 1858 and was not heard from again until 1862 when his ship returned, highly modifed and damaged. His second mate, a Sarmatian explorer and adventurer named Franciska Kozial was in command of the ship. She told stories of people living on Al-Qahira with amazing technology she called “reverse mathematics.” Since then, each Nation has tried to establish a colony on Al-Qahira with mixed success.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »
In 1858, Castillian scholar and explorer Paz Odalis Ricardo Fernández believed he could use the 7th Sea to reach Terra’s nearest neighbor: the Red Planet of Al-Qahira (so named by Crescent scholars). He left in 1858 and was not heard from again until 1862 when his ship returned, highly modifed and damaged. His second mate, a Sarmatian explorer and adventurer named Franciska Kozial was in command of the ship. She told stories of people living on Al-Qahira with amazing technology she called “reverse mathematics.” Since then, each Nation has tried to establish a colony on Al-Qahira with mixed success.

Sold.  ;D

« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »
So I bought Beckett's Jyhad Diary--very interesting book for updating metaplot. Normally I'm not too terribly into Vampire the Masquerade's metaplot but I have to admit the book is pretty well-written, though it is clearly a resource for older players--new players would really have no idea what the heck is going on.

Liking it so far. I'm about 100 pages in, though, and already I want to rename the book "The Backstabby Saga of Various People Trying to Murder Beckett." >_>
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:21:00 PM by Blythe »

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2018, 09:23:59 PM »
7th Sea - 1868 (7th Sea goes Aetherpunk)

So I saw this the other day, and dismissed it as an April Fools. Apparently it's not, or else John Wick is playing the joke well beyond what is traditional :)

Looking at the little teaser they released, I think this could actually work pretty well. And we now get to go to Mars the Red Planet of Al-Qahira as well. Red martians and Green martians maybe?

1e fluff spoilers
Didn't a lot of the explanations for weird stuff in 1e amount to:

I'm pretty sure a lot of it was aliens. I know the Russian magic immortal lady was an alien.