You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2018, 08:18:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 20046 times)

Offline Ziether

Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
Feel free to ask me anything you need. I've played and run Pathfinder extensively.

Not to any particular individual, but I felt I should echo this. My PM box is always open, especially on this subject. I am a resource for a dedicated gaming community already, so the occasional question here wouldn't be an issue. I am especially practiced at breaking down the "why" of things to better explain to those who have less overall experience with TTRPGs.

Cheers, folks!

Offline National Acrobat

« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »
Hmm, what do I own?

Pathfinder, 1e ADnD, Basic/Expert DnD, ODnD (yes, I still have the 3 white books and the supplements that followed), Classic Traveller, 1E Gamma World, Mongoose Traveller, Mutants and Masterminds 2e, D20 Call of Cthulhu, D20 Modern, Castles and Crusades, D20 Star Wars, Middle Earth Roleplaying (The Old ICE version)

Offline Aislinn

• Enchantress of √Čire, Local Avatarmonger & Leprechaun Ninja Extraordinaire
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: "second star to the right, and straight on till morning"
  • Principessa del Drago
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:25 PM »
Sure thing! Pm on the way.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
Just got xanathars guide to everything for d&d 5, and its awesome! Gives lots of good options for characters with a ton of class options!

Online RedPhoenix

« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
Just got xanathars guide to everything for d&d 5, and its awesome! Gives lots of good options for characters with a ton of class options!

I have to wait to get my copy at my employee price until the people waiting to pay full price stop buying them up >.<

Offline wander

• That Tired Lone Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Not A Gentleman
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, though Master to Noone.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
There's a book at my FLGS that's amongst the Achtung Cthulhu and CoC books, it's basically a field guide for Lovecraft's bestiary of beasts, shows diagrams of them, scaled with human silhouettes, talks in great detail about them and has all kind of 'scientific notes' dotted throughout their profiles. It doesn't seem to be linked to a system as there doesn't seem to be game stats in there, it's just a fun hardback discussing the different creatures you could use in Achtung or Call (and any Lovecraft rpg really). The name I couldn't say as I only saw it once (though it's probably still there at the shop). I may actually treat myself to it one day, as I'm a big Lovecraft fan and me and my mate have fun memories playing Cthulhutech years back.

Offline SithLordOfSnark

• Snarky Bastard | Loyal Friend | Video Gamer
  • Isolation
  • Enchanter
  • Join the Snark Side. We Have Cookies. And Snark.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
I don't currently OWN anything, but I know Vampire the Masquerade like the back of my hand.

Offline BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »
I don't currently OWN anything, but I know Vampire the Masquerade like the back of my hand.

VtM's one of my favorite games! Any particular thing you like about it? :)

I have bought Lovecraftesque today. Hmmm.

I'm not sure I would call it a proper tabletop game exactly, but it's hard to explain why. I'd personally say it's far closer to structured freeform play (which I find enjoyable, but I don't find it to be tabletop gaming as I know it), but it certainly understands its genre well. I've got a RL friend who might play it with me, so I'm interested to see how it goes. I like what I've read of it so far, though I don't need the X Card stuff, since I have a very different and more comprehensive approach to dealing with problematic elements in a game.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:17:09 PM by Blythe »

Offline SithLordOfSnark

• Isolation
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
VtM's one of my favorite games! Any particular thing you like about it? :)

I have bought Lovecraftesque today. Hmmm.

I'm not sure I would call it a proper tabletop game exactly, but it's hard to explain why. I'd personally say it's far closer to structured freeform play (which I find enjoyable, but I don't find it to be tabletop gaming as I know it), but it certainly understands its genre well. I've got a RL friend who might play it with me, so I'm interested to see how it goes. I like what I've read of it so far, though I don't need the X Card stuff, since I have a very different and more comprehensive approach to dealing with problematic elements in a game.

I've just always liked vampire stuff. :)

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »
I'm a big VtM fan. I've played and run every edition of it's tabletop and larp systems.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2017, 10:44:14 PM »
Does anyone know which Hunter supplement describes Wendell meeting Lucifer?

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #286 on: November 23, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Don't quote me, though I always thought Lucifer only turns up in the Time of Judgement book. It's a big thing for him to turn up for the Demons.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #287 on: November 23, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »
Ah, yes. There it is. Thanks, Wander.

« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
I was given some Christmas money early, and I opted to buy the Conan books from Modiphius.

I got the following:

- Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of core book
- Conan the Barbarian
- Conan The Mercenary
- Conan the Thief
- Conan: Jeweled Thrones of the Earth
- Conan: The Book of Skelos

I'll have a lot of reading to do, but I hope they turn out to be good. I have a RL gaming group that might be playing this soon. :)

Offline Lithos

« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
Twilight 2000, AD&D from 2nd to 3.5 edition and pathfinder are my main ones. Around where I live thouigh I get to make no use of them really, sadly there are no pen and paper roleplayers around. The twilight 2000 book is probably oldest tabletop game book that I have.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:19:25 PM by Lithos »

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #290 on: November 30, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
^ Aye, forum Pbp is my main way to play system games now for the same reason, only me and my one friend are left of our old RL circle, so now we just do miniature combat gaming.

I've been itching to play a game of Black Crusade and also DC Universe (basically a reskin of Mutants and Masterminds) recently though. Also wouldn't mind a bit of FATE Core, using some of the pay what you want Worlds of Adventure found online.

Heck, I'd be up for a game of Firefly by Cortex or Beast:the Primordial from nwod too... Or Mongoose Traveller and play it like part exploration, part trading.

... I like a lot of games.  ;D

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
I don't really have the money to get it but if anyone like Wuxia or Exalted, you should check out Broken Worlds, based off of the webcomic Kill Six Billion demons. It is a very creative and amazing setting. If you already read the webcomic please support the game so we get more amazing things like it :P

Link to more info here.
http://orbitaldropkick.tumblr.com/post/168549849126/it-is-with-great-pride-that-id-like-to-announce

I hope this is a success and they make a whole franchise off of this!

Online Avalon29

« Reply #292 on: December 28, 2017, 10:37:50 PM »
I got my digital copy of Mysteries of the Yokai today! http://www.mysteriesoftheyokai.com/  I'm excited to go through it! There were quite a few delays after their layout person left and the main writer had to take on those roles as well but it was worth the wait. Love the mystical Japan setting. I can tell they spent a lot of time researching ancient traditions and folklore to get it right. Also love the the morale based conflict system so that one defeat in combat doesn't spell the end of the party and can be adjusted for social situations too so more social based characters can have combat too. The book is nice and meaty too. The pdf is 394  pages if including the print outs and such that come with it. It won't officially go on sale for a little while longer because they want to make sure the backers and people who pre-ordered get the book first but hopefully it'll go on sale soon so other interested people can pick it up.

« Reply #293 on: January 06, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »
So I picked up Blood and Bone. It's a little 89 page pdf, simplified d20 sort of system.

I'm digging it. Dunno how I feel about the setting they gave for it, but this could easily do Game of Thrones better than existing Game of Thrones system game products, in my opinion.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #294 on: January 06, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »
I was on drivethru earlier and managed to pick up Achtung! Cthulhu's FATE rules, which were Pay what you Want.

I HIGHLY recommend picking it up if you enjoy A) FATE B) The Cthulhu Mythos C) WW2 history and information.

The zip file contained an Investigator Guide (which the players use to make their characters) and the Keeper's Guide (a GM guide though also a nice exercise for the GM and players in group world-building for the games in the setting). So super value for whether you download it for free or throw Modiphius some coin for the bang-up job.

Now, would love to be part of a game with it here...

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #295 on: January 06, 2018, 11:13:30 PM »
I got one called blades in the dark, some time in the past the sun went out. Life is still going on, but things like ghosts and lovecraftian gods are out there, you play part of a gang doing shadowrun style stuff to make ends meet, and hopefully retire before your body, mind, and/or soul are damaged or destroyed.

Offline Sain

« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2018, 06:58:25 AM »
I purchased Genesys system.

Need to go through this and see how good the fantasy setting that comes with the book is.

Offline SithLordOfSnark

• Isolation
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
Since I'm running a VtM game, I really need to find the books again. LOL

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
I also managed to get the Mindjammer Quickstart yesterday also. I've only flicked through it, it seems alright.

I already have the Andromeda - FATE World of Adventure and that seems to be super similar to Mindjammer's way of doing things and more able to do a game as I like, as Andromeda has rules for making up new alien races on the fly, plus making up your own Space Ark detailing when your colony ship arrived in the titular galaxy. Add in rules for aging of the ship and cultures onboard and it's really in-depth for what was a Pay what you Want pdf from Evil Hat.

Tbh, if this sounds familiar, I'm 80% sure you could run Andromeda as a Mass Effect:Andromeda role playing game... Though y'know, better and with your party's own take on things.  ;D

Offline LizzieV

« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
That I own? A few too many to list but off the top of my head
-2nd, 3rd, 3.5, 4, and 5th editions of dnd
-pathfinder
-Mongoose Traveller
-Exalted
-nWoD, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage
-Vampire 20th
-Burning Wheel
-Hero System
-Gurps
-Tri-stat dx
-Big Eyes small mouth
-Tenchi Muyo rpg
-Shadowrun (a few different editions, can't remember which ones)
-Anima: Beyond Fantasy
-Call of C'thulu
-Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying
-Dark Heresy
-Maid rpg
-A pile of other miscellaneous ones I'd have to go into the other room and find

So kind of partially responding to the first post with part of this even though it's not too relevant.

I have to agree with the setting of Ravenloft and even the Midnight setting were pretty good for a lot of the dark themed games. I'd really like to get something set up that would give a good darkest dungeon type game and I've been pondering getting torchbearer for it. I'm not sure though.

As for my favorite rpg hmmm, honestly it ends up depending on the people I'm writing with but I have a fondness for Traveller. I really want to eventually actually get to do an Anima game (I don't have the expansion books just the core) but it's a little number crunchy so you have to have players willing to deal with that.

I do like to sometimes take elements of Burning Wheel and pull them into other games. Like the concept of the Beliefs/Instincts of there that provides character motivation and some extra traits starting out then I make plots based on stuff and to reward players heading towards them and working to complete them with little 'Artha' style points giving people small expendable bonuses or rerolls and the like.

I usually do stuff like that in system sandbox games since it provides a mechanical incentive to actually get out and do something proactive instead of waiting for the plot to arrive.