You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 24, 2018, 01:58:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 8673 times)

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
I've got the 4th edition of L5R. Dear sweet lord, the book is gorgeous; I seem to have quite a few books/supplements for it. The setting is magnificent. (One of these days imma play a Tsuruchi archer, I swear!) L5R 4e is pretty much everything I want in a tabletop rpg.

I know there's been a few games of it here in the past.I'd say the interest to play it would be there.

How does Qin play? I've had my eye on it, but I've never been able to make up my mind on whether or not I'd like to buy it!

Not too bad from the little we got to play. One of our players thought that poisons weren't very good, but that's about the only issue I can remember coming up. As I said though, we didn't get to play a lot, just the one scenario.

The folks that do that have another one called Yggdrasil, which is a mythic Norse setting. Not sure how similar the two rule sets are, mind you.

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 04:48:08 PM »
I've heard good and bad things about RIFTs--I've heard the system's incredibly clunky & crunchy, but that the setting is absolutely amazing. Have you gotten to play it? What's it like?

The system is awful. Just terrible. It's a bad homebrew pretending to be a real system. I won't say the setting is amazing. It's too schizophrenic to be amazing but it has amazing ideas in it. Crazies and Juicers in particular are amazing.

Oh and Contenders is awesome. I would love to play it here.

Offline wander

• Cheeky Brit Next Door // Creator of Wander Worlds
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Nurgle's Buttbringer
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »
Gonna add Numenera to my list, as I forgot about that one. I've not played much of it sadly and noone seems to want to system game it here. I get a bit disappointed when I see a recruiting thread for a game I own and it's actually gonna be freeformed.  -_-

Talking on terrible systems, I've had experience with FATAL... Perhaps one character generation that made me go... 'y'know what? screw it, I can't be bothered to finish...' Fun story, in generating my character in FATAL, his junk was only an inch shorter in width than his length which was admittedly slightly under average...  :D

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »
I've successfully made a character for FATAL. Barney the Buck-Naked Bugbear Barbarian is probably still here if I ever wanted to feel the pain of gazing upon its statblock again, it was for a joke-'game' on E where the challenge was simply to survive chargen with your sanity intact.

Offline BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »
Ugh, FATAL. I don't say this about a lot of games, but that game is an unholy abomination. I tried character generation in it before to try to amuse myself, and just...ugh. Gave me a migraine. Not to mention all the other genuinely horrifying things in that book. That 'game' raises my blood pressure in a 'rawr' sort of way nowadays.

Would much rather talk about other games, really. >_<

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »
Like, say, RaHoWa? >:)

(Kidding, kidding.)

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »
Like, say, RaHoWa? >:)

*shudders* Please, no.

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 05:00:56 PM »
Nights of the Crusades (free/pay what you want on drivethru, very recommended as the system is rules-lite and amazing)

Also, just remembered to reply to this specifically, I'll pick this up, too; it looks very interesting. And I'm going to take time later to read your thoughts on Grey Ranks. :)

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Nurgle's Buttbringer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
If a game gets going with Night of the Crusades that'd be great, I'd love to get involved with that. :)

The thing I like about it's simple system is it includes rules for trauma for when violence gets more extreme, which is really realistic and I've never really seen in any other game... And I own a lot of games... xD

Same with Grey Ranks, whilst that isn't free/pay what you want (it is super cheap though) and it's admittedly not for everyone due to the rather grim subject matter at times, it does have that 'earn your happy ending' feel and when the dice and narrative go well, especially later in the game's chapters, those victories are all the more awesome and deserving of a proud fist-pump.  :-)

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »
If a Night of the Crusades game gets going here I'd play. The game is solid with a really cool setting.

Offline CopperLily

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
My friend wanting to run a Shadow of the Demon Lord game also mentioned wanting to run Blue Planet; it's another of those that I'm waiting to purchase based on how his game goes.

And I love the DAV stuff; that stuff is like my bread and butter.  ;D

Blue Planet is good fun - a hard-ish sci-fi setting with a lot of room to play in. Anything from cyberpunk corporate espionage to "There's a settlement of 50 of you, the water pump is broken and there's clouds on the horizon. Go."

And there's a number of characters I play that are fairly clearly "Lily was reading Dark Ages: Fae again when she thought of this."

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Nurgle's Buttbringer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 06:06:12 PM »
That and Changeling:the Lost are my jam, Lily.  8-)

When 2nd edition C:tL comes out, it's gonna be awesome. I have my playtest character here for the game, a Manikin Fairest. Essentially Gigolo Joe from the film A.I as a changeling.  :-)

Offline Skynet

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
I've heard good and bad things about RIFTs--I've heard the system's incredibly clunky & crunchy, but that the setting is absolutely amazing. Have you gotten to play it? What's it like?

Fun fact: RIFTS now has a conversion to Savage Worlds, which is a much more balanced and playable ruleset.

Speaking of which, Savage Worlds is more or less a general setting-less system for pulp action games. It has an awful lot of settings out, including Deadlands, 50 Fathoms (piratey fantasy), Lesser Evil (play as supervillains fighting an alien invasion), and quite a few third party settings out there too.

Which brings me to another RPG I followed for a while and bought many books for: Deadlands.

Deadlands is a wild west-themed alternate history setting with a strong emphasis on supernatural horror and some steampunk elements. The idea is that monsters and magic from mythology, religions, and folklore came back into the world after being imprisoned, lurking at the edges of civilization. Many folk have seem odd things out at night, and a few folks out west swear to have seen demons and worse things, but to most of humanity it still remains in the domain of tall tales. When the dead rose from their graves during the Battle of Gettysburg, this caused the Civil War to take a dramatic turn as the Confederacy is still up and kicking in 1878.

Although it has a metaplot, Deadlands and most of its material can be more or less safely used on its own. I cannot speak to the original RPG, but its Savage Worlds conversion plays quite well, even if it has some imbalances here and there.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »
Hm. Systems we have that I have not gotten to try... The Strange is a thing we have .. haven't had a chance to test it yet.
Um. Cortex. I didn't get into the crunch, past building a character, and that went .. sort of well? I think we were using modified rules, because Firefly. That crashed hard and no word was spoken again. :/

I do have access to the Traveller book.. er.. one of them, anyway.

Oh, and... whatsis.. Spirit of the Century. Another one where the game got as far as character creation, and then hung. I was disappointed, because the premise looked fun. :/

Offline NinjaWeazel

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 10:09:04 PM »

All of the above is 100% accurate yes hahaha! The setting has an amazing mashup of magic, sci-fi, horror... pretty much anything you can think of is probably in a book somewhere. But the system is fantastically crunchy and unwieldy. I did a lot of playing in it when I was in the military, things get wacky and completely out of hand exceptionally fast. But its one of the only worlds where a talking bear with a laser assault rifle, a commando, a guy in power armor, a robot, a wizard, and an alien can all hang out together and shoot things in the name of making the world a better place.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Nurgle's Buttbringer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:00 AM »
That last line sounds just like the manga BioMega...  ;D

Oh, reminds me of Blam!, another rpg I forgot to mention. It's another free fan-made rpg, available as always online as a pdf, based on the manga Blame! (the creator made this along with the above mentioned BioMega, along with the most famous work he's done so far; Knights of Sidonia).

I can really best describe the setting as you play cyborgs in a continually spiralling out city that has reached from Earth to suck Jupiter up into it's mass... This is because Builder robots are just endlessly and unsupervised constructing ever onwards, as they're controlled by the Net and that happens to have been placed on lockdown... Also the Net's security are killer robots called Safe-Guard which I can best describe as robotic zerg swarms that look like human mannequins... The feel of the setting is like Earth in Eclipse Phase's setting... Grim and most things out there are gonna try and kill you or are under attack by Safe-Guard and losing. The game itself is slightly broken as it was never finished though you can play with what's there and I've been in quite a few games run with it and I've run it myself, being a fan of the source material.

However one thing that sells it is this; If you want to play a slightly more grimdark version of Eclipse Phase with a really nice light system that anyone can pick up in minutes (along with making a character in that amount of time), go look for it online. It's worth it.  :-)

Offline Avalon29

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
I am pretty new to system games, wanted to try them growing up but there was nobody else about who was interested at the time, but I do have a small collection.

Anima: Beyond Fantasy and all it's supplements. Love the setting and the things you can do with it  made an idol once who was a ki fighter based around sound attacks. But it is a bit clunky and I feel like psychics get the short end of the stick in the setting as they are either ignored or disliked by most factions.

I have both OVA and BESM 3rd edition. Havn't gotten to use BESM yet but OVA's character creation is lots of fun. It's relatively simple and allows for a lot of creativity. It's very easy to make almost any kind of character concept work.

Legend of the Elements is one I was introduced to recently but is lots of fun. It's basically Avatar the Last Airbender using Dungeon World rules. Pretty simple and both the more mundane classes and the shifters, their version of benders, all feel well balanced against one another so somebody doesn't  have to play a shifter.

I've also got PTU which was mentioned earlier and MAID.

For pure silliness I also have Fullmetal President: White House Mecha Chaos which is about playing as the president and various members of cabinet with other white house staff fighting in big smashy mechas to retake the white house after the vice president launched a coup.

It's not out yet but I did pre-order and I'm very much looking forward to which is coming out in March is called Mysteries of the Yokai. The setting is a world based on ancient Japan and their mythology.  The conflict system they use can be used for more than just combat so instead of just making a roll to win a political debate for example, one can use their conflict system which allows for social characters to participate in the combat system and could theoretically allow for a game based solely on politics and manipulation to still have combat, just based on debate, manipulation, and social skills instead rather than traditional combat skills. For those curious about the system here is a link to the site where they also have downloads describing a bit more about how the combat works, character creation, and the setting. http://www.mysteriesoftheyokai.com/

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 03:01:53 PM »
For pure silliness I also have Fullmetal President: White House Mecha Chaos which is about playing as the president and various members of cabinet with other white house staff fighting in big smashy mechas to retake the white house after the vice president launched a coup.

I'm sorry. Someone made Metal Wolf Chaos into a tabletop rpg? How in the blue hell did I not know about this?!

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
It's not out yet but I did pre-order and I'm very much looking forward to which is coming out in March is called Mysteries of the Yokai. The setting is a world based on ancient Japan and their mythology.  The conflict system they use can be used for more than just combat so instead of just making a roll to win a political debate for example, one can use their conflict system which allows for social characters to participate in the combat system and could theoretically allow for a game based solely on politics and manipulation to still have combat, just based on debate, manipulation, and social skills instead rather than traditional combat skills. For those curious about the system here is a link to the site where they also have downloads describing a bit more about how the combat works, character creation, and the setting. http://www.mysteriesoftheyokai.com/

This looks pretty awesome; I'm going to put this on my 'to buy' list. I love stuff like this. Plus, I'm very intrigued by the mention you make about the conflict system making room for social characters!

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »
If you're looking for an all genre's mashup, Torg is getting rebooted.

Offline Avalon29

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
This looks pretty awesome; I'm going to put this on my 'to buy' list. I love stuff like this. Plus, I'm very intrigued by the mention you make about the conflict system making room for social characters!

I really like that kind of thing as well and it seems like lots of fun. The conflict system is based on morale and general progression of the conflict rather than hp. The example they used I beleive was that say an official arrives with a document  that allows command of the guards and a warrant for the party's' arrest. The combat oriented characters might be fending off the soldiers the social character might be using their knowledge of law and diplomacy skills to attack the legality of the document. Victory in this case would be guards giving up because the party is difficult to handle and they're no longer sure on whether or not they have the law on their side rather than just beating all the guards.

Offline Nastara

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
Yay system gamers!

I'm a big PbtA-fangirl.  Like way too much of one.  It's getting to the point that I can't remember the last time I bought a non Powered by the Apocalypse Game.

These days the games that are most in my repertoire are...
-Dungeon World
-Monsterhearts
-Apocalypse World
-Masks
-Headspace
-Urban Shadows

I've tried a few times to try and get a PbP here on E, but never even got sparks of interest.
Burning Wheel's an interesting one!  I could see that being kind of hard to run on E though.

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »
On the subject of Monsterhearts I am honestly surprised that this game is not more popular on Elliquiy. It seems tailor made for E.

Offline Nastara

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »
What's stopped me is that I'm not super interested in running/playing super sexual high school stuff.  In my own groups, we'll fade to black when sexy-time starts, but needless to say this is a different sort of crew!  A bit too young for me to really delve into their sex. 
I AM considering seeing if I can set up a Monsterhearts game set in freshman year of college.  Hits a lot of the same ideas of identity and confusion and the like!

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
I've never actually seen it be played or played it set in high school. It has always been college that I have seen. Monsterhearts is one of those games that has some great ideas but it needs to be removed a bit from some of the creator's weirder fixations. Kind of like how most of Stephen King's stories make better movies than they do books. It - the book It - had fantastic ideas but it was better on the screen where a producer could say "Do the preteens need to have an aggressive orgy in the sewers?"