You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 20, 2018, 07:38:27 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 18327 times)

Offline TheSithChicken

Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
So I noticed there's free rules to play and playbooks for a new PbtA game, called 'City of Mist' on drivethru... Its seemingly a cross between a supers and film noir rpg, set in a supernatural modern setting. I got reminded of if Beast:the Primordial (love it or hate it, Beast does have an awesome concept of people carrying a mythic creature soul) was played as a film noir by it's pitch.

Seems to use tags more than cemented moves to represent powers etc, though I've yet to read the free rulebook, that should be neat to get system naysayers onboard as a nice game to introduce people to system play (something I've found Dungeon World and PbtA games excellent for). The pitch makes it sound more narrative than usual, though I love the PbtA system, plus it's free so I'm down to give it a swing.

Sound interesting to anyone else?

Yes. Yes it does. Beast the Primordial is like several of the NWOD games in that it has a fantastic premise (Geist, Demon, Promethean, etc) with lackluster follow through. A system that can handle the concept and actually run with it would be exciting. PbtA is a great system for those kind of things. An actual working Promethean would make me so happy. Hmm... I should make that after I finish the game I'm writing now. Wouldn't be hard.

Incidentally if you want something else that could handle Beast's concept check out Urge for the Sorcerer game. In fact just check out Sorcerer if you haven't. The system is great and works beautifully for any game that has a dysfunctional relationship at the center. Which - let's be honest - is damn near every game.

Offline Nastara

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2017, 01:53:06 PM »
So I noticed there's free rules to play and playbooks for a new PbtA game, called 'City of Mist' on drivethru... Its seemingly a cross between a supers and film noir rpg, set in a supernatural modern setting. I got reminded of if Beast:the Primordial (love it or hate it, Beast does have an awesome concept of people carrying a mythic creature soul) was played as a film noir by it's pitch.

Seems to use tags more than cemented moves to represent powers etc, though I've yet to read the free rulebook, that should be neat to get system naysayers onboard as a nice game to introduce people to system play (something I've found Dungeon World and PbtA games excellent for). The pitch makes it sound more narrative than usual, though I love the PbtA system, plus it's free so I'm down to give it a swing.

Sound interesting to anyone else?

I've played it once!  It's an interesting little system.  It doesn't hit genre-trappings quite as well as I'd hope for a PbtA game, but it works pretty nicely!  I'm still holding out hope for an upcoming kickstarter called Noir World that a podcast I listen to keeps bringing up in order to hit my noir needs, but this has been a neat little temporary solution.

Also, One Shot covered it, it definitely has some kind of gonzo elements to the play, but is a lot of fun anyways.

Offline Beej

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
Have anyone of you tried The Quiet Year, by the same lady who did MonsterHearts?  It's a community building game where all four seasons are linked to a poker card suit and individual cards have questions linked to them which you answer.  When answering them you draw the results on a piece of paper to create an ever evolving map.  Or in my case I use a wet-erase battle map and markers so it's like we're in kindergarden again with ink smugged fingers.

Offline wander

• That Tired Lone Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Not A Gentleman
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, though Master to Noone.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
I have not, though that sounds interesting, I love games that do things a little differently. :)

Its part of what makes me love Grey Ranks so much (seriously, I want other people to play that game with! ^^ ).

Offline Beej

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
I had not heard of that one.  Looking it up reminds be a bit of Red Markets, the emphasis on how consequences bear down on you and reputation.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
It has less a reputation mechanic than a sacrificial one, given you need to decide what your character values the most and threatening or sacrificing it in the Fiasco styled narrative buffs your dice for the Mission at hand... Although, I suppose reputation can come under how the character's personality gets affected between each Mission/Chapter in the game. Each character has a position on a grid that moves after each Mission towards a precarious way of getting that character written out of the ongoing story if they're not careful, such as mental breakdown or suicide.

Grey Ranks isn't a happy game, what with the loss and the dark themes (especially as PCs are 15-17 and fighting Nazis and Russian troops), though it has an interesting system and games become very, very memorable.

Offline Nastara

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
Have anyone of you tried The Quiet Year, by the same lady who did MonsterHearts?  It's a community building game where all four seasons are linked to a poker card suit and individual cards have questions linked to them which you answer.  When answering them you draw the results on a piece of paper to create an ever evolving map.  Or in my case I use a wet-erase battle map and markers so it's like we're in kindergarden again with ink smugged fingers.
Love The Quiet Year!  It's quite a bit of fun!

Offline BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2017, 12:24:22 PM »

I haven't tried it; I have to try to persuade my RL group to put down Pathfinder and D&D again first. I really want to try it, though; the collaborative aspect in The Quiet Year really intrigues me. ^^

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »
http://johnwickpresents.com/7th-sea-basic-rules/

New 7th Sea basic / quickstart rules are here for anyone who wants to download them.

Offline stormwyrm

• Metaverse Hacker | One Piffle Man | Grandfather of kittehs
  • Knight
  • Seducer
  • We just had a near-life experience!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
Well, I had the original red/blue/green/black/orange box set D&Ds many years ago, and that was what got me started. I later got the original 1st edition AD&D rule books, including the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, both Monster Manuals, Fiend Folio, Unearthed Arcana, and Legends and Lore. I collected all 14 of the original Dragonlance Modules and ran such a campaign just as elementary school ended. Yes, I’m very old school. I never could manage to organise a RL campaign in the latter days. I had some hope of doing that in college but I was in electronics engineering and there was precious little time to do that and chase grades in demanding and difficult subjects too.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
AD&D 2nd edition is something I own though have to actually play. Infact it was the first rpg set I actually ever bought in my teens in the 90s.

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
I just got a good laugh. A random thing I came across pointed me towards a terrible tabletop rpg called Myfarog and I downloaded a copy to find out why it was considered terrible. It did not take me long to discover why. It occured about the point where I got to discussions about the world. The main continent and it's people sounded fine (at first) but then it got to foreigners and I feel I must share this.

Sunshine Vitamins:

Due to a lack of "sunshine vitamins" the dark skinned and dark haired Arbis have poor poison and disease resistance.

Okay. That is the first and so far only time anything like sunshine vitamins are brought up. Let's see if the actual cultural information on Arbis (I cannot decide if it's a play on Arabs or if the writer really hates Arbys) is any better shall we?

Darklings and Weaklings are the only known subraces of the swarthy and cruel Arbis species.

Oh no. I don't think this is going to get better. I mean morally anyway. I'm having a great time making fun of it - and by it I mean the first neonazi fantasy rpg I have ever encountered. This is the first rpg I am going to review on my blog once I'm done trying to die.

Offline Skynet

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2017, 02:35:44 AM »
Myfarog is written by Varg Vikernes, a white supremacist who served jail time for arson and murder. His rpg is more or less his own worldview backed into a pseudo-Scandinavian fantasy setting.

This is a pretty good article on it.

If you want to get more laughs, there's been quite a lot of defenders against it being "racist" from Varg himself and some online youtubers who regard him as a swell guy.

One of his arguments was that his minority race stand-ins have tusks, and that no real-world ethnic groups have tusks. Therefore not racist!

Another supporter fires back against criticisms against racism/sexism/etc. Specifically addressing misogyny, around the 7:10 mark he points to the fact that women have a Charisma bonus in the RPG as being a counterpoint to this.

Also, perfect excuse to share this video:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:44:27 AM by Skynet »

Offline TheSithChicken

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
First off that video is hilarious. Secondly thank you for the information on Varg Vikernes as I had literally never heard of him before.

This game is hilarious. I have not laughed out loud so many times reading an rpg ever. It is this miracle distillation of all things stupid inside this man's skull into a fine ambrosia of overly complex charts, historical revisionism, and fullbore wackaloonery. And the madness is not restricted to racism or simply revising history but there are these moments of subtle insanity. Like his insistance that ancient man - and of course by ancient man he means ancient white man - were healthier and stronger than modern man because they had a more varied diet. Did they? Did they really? Because I can go to a grocery and buy a hundred foods that they had never heard of. I can go to a deli in town and buy kangaroo meat. Did ancient *WHITE* men eat more varied than that?

Or the weird little bolded comments that pop up without rhyme or reason but when put together sounds like a copy paste from Little Hitler: A Child's Journey Into Nazi-ism? Comments like "Similar children play best together" (located in a section talking about elf-spells) or "There is no death for the honourable. Only a change of bodies" (in a section discussing the origin of the races). It's just fantastic.

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »
Got a couple of supplements for Godbound. I bought Ancalia: the Broken Towers and Sixteen Sorrows. Cracking open the first one today since it's a setting supplement, and the latter I'll use later since it looks like it'll be fabulous for homebrewed stuff.

Generally impressed with Godbound right now--there's a lot of lore there, but I feel like it's open enough to where the world is something that a GM can really sink their teeth into and build on. There's a strong basis to start with, but enough room to really branch out. ^^

Might run a game of this one at some point. It's really caught my attention.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:13:43 PM by Blythe »

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
Coriolis and Starjammer are both out now, I've noticed.

Has anyone played either? I love space exploration rpgs. I also saw Mindjammer has a new Traveller edition too. Always up to play Mongoose Traveller, though have yet to look at the new edition.

Would love to play Ghost Planets, a FATE world of adventure (this one I actually own! ^^ ) with peoples too.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
Rogue Trader remains my favorite 40K RPG, even if the 'Space exploration' aspect of the game inevitably takes a distant second place to the 'violent murder' component. So yeah, I'd gleefully play some sort of of space-game, though I'm not terribly impressed with what I see of Starjammer.

Offline Wheeler97

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
I'm relatively new to System RPGs...

I started with Pathfinder in late 2014, mostly using the d20 Pathfinder SRD to play. I paid into a Humble Bundle last year and got a bunch of the .pdfs, so I do own it now.

After that I'd got into Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion, the Star Wars system by Fantasy Flight Games. I really like that system and the unique dice. It really helps put more focus on the storytelling and letting the mechanics back that up. I own a copy of the rulebooks for each of those, but not Force and Destiny.

I got into 5th Edition a year or so ago, and I absolutely love this system. I own two copies of the PHB, a copy of the DMG and Monster Manual, have an order in with my FLGS for Volo's Guide to Monsters and a third party "Tome of Beasts", and I have the Storm King's Thunder module that I'll lead into from my current game around Level 5.

The latest system I've bought into, but have yet to play, is 7th Sea 2nd Edition. It's very loose with the rules and focused on the storytelling, so I'm excited to give it a try. I backed the Kickstarter and got a physical rulebook and have been getting copies of all the .pdfs as they're released.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
Rogue Trader remains my favorite 40K RPG, even if the 'Space exploration' aspect of the game inevitably takes a distant second place to the 'violent murder' component. So yeah, I'd gleefully play some sort of of space-game, though I'm not terribly impressed with what I see of Starjammer.

Rogue Trader is pretty coo, though I don't think it's just you that the space exploring is played down with, in the corebook it never really seemed to put too much (at least noticably for me) in it.

Although Mongoose Traveller has spoiled me, with a chapter (and later in High Guard more or less an entire supplement) on creating starships with deckplans for them and then a chapter for random rolling planets in a star sector (with the Scout supplement later allowing rolling up individual star systems).

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »
The latest system I've bought into, but have yet to play, is 7th Sea 2nd Edition. It's very loose with the rules and focused on the storytelling, so I'm excited to give it a try. I backed the Kickstarter and got a physical rulebook and have been getting copies of all the .pdfs as they're released.

7th Sea is a good setting, but I'm not overly happy with the changes they made to the Vesten in 2nd ed. I much prefer the 1st ed versions.

« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
Eclipse Phase is getting a second edition! *excited* If they'll streamline it and make character generation easier, I will be the happiest Bly ever.

It's going on my automatic 'must have' list anyways, but I'm hyped for it.

Offline wander

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
Heh, I have Transhumanity's FATE for the streamline and easy character generation. ^^

The only thing being it's EP using FATE Core, which isn't everyone's favourite system. I know that for one combat can be quite the chore.

So, I've noticed Paranoia has a new edition out, by Mongoose. I've never actually played it. However it seems the system it uses may not be the best for Pbp games.

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
I'm intrigued by the new Paranoia, but ooh, I've been trying to prioritize which games to get. If it won't work well via PbP, I might have to put it a little further down my 'buy' list. I have been trying hard to put games that run on forums as a priority since a lot of my gaming is now online. (Eclipse Phase is my one major exception, since I am massively in love with the setting and since its Creative Commons)

If anyone's nabbed the new Paranoia, I'd love to hear their perspective on what its like. :)

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
Streamline eclipse phase? One can only hope!

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
Took advantage of an OSR sale on Drivethrurpg and got the D&D Rules Cyclopedia and the Known World Gazetteers. Pretty happy with it so far. :)