You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 13, 2018, 10:30:50 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 19152 times)

Online BlytheTopic starter

Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:52:08 AM »
Anyone that knows me knows I'm a total fan of tabletop system rpgs. I love talking about them, I love hearing about them, I love people's stories about RL groups they game in. Nothing's more fun than taking a gamble for a character and watching the dice fall (or in the case of diceless games, watching the delicious narrative impact that comes about!).

I own too many to list, personally. I've spent sooo much money on them. But I've been slowly collecting AD&D books, specifically Planescape books and Ravenloft books, 'cause those settings are awesome. And I've been pretty into Eclipse Phase. I'm perennially in love with anything that comes from White Wolf/Onyx Path (though I've never touched Exalted, mostly as I had to make a choice between buying it or Scion at the time). And the MAID rpg has never failed to entice a smile from me for being hilarious.

I'm debating getting into 'Blue Rose,' if anyone's heard of that one. I've heard they evoke the tone of the Mercedes Lackey books, and that does intrigue me, but I'm still waffling on it. Partly as its been so long since I've read them, and partly because I'm unsure if the 'romantic fantasy' genre is something I could GM well for my RL gaming group.

And I'm also tossing about whether or not I want to sink the money into getting the Warharmmer 40K stuff, but I've as of yet been unable to decide if it's the sort of thing I'd ever GM for my RL gaming group. (I never buy a game that I think my players won't play, since I am more often than not in the position of GMing, and my group has mixed feelings about it)

So...what tabletop rpgs do y'all own? Tell me your favorite. Tell me ones you want to own or ones that you saw that made you curious! Talking about tabletop rpgs is probably one of my favorite things to idly chat about. ^^
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:53:18 AM by Blythe »

Online TheSithChicken

Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:46:49 AM »
Blue Rose will replicate the feel of Mercedes Lackey's romantic fantasy well. It's not on my to play list (which in no way stops me from owning it) as it's not my style but it's solid. The 40K games are good at evoking the feel of the 40k games even if I am not overly fond of Rogue Trader for various reasons. They are mechanically complex. More so than I care for most days anymore.

As for what I own... I think I own more of the published rpgs in existence than not. Popular ones, rare ones, good ones, and shitty ones. There are good ideas in the vast majority of them. Started with the D&D Redbook and haven't looked back. Picking out my favorites is a task but I'll give it a shot.

AD&D will always have a special place in my heart. It's what I spent much of my early years playing and still has some of my favorite settings of all time. Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and most especially Planescape. I own all the the original stuff for all three of those. Planescape is actually my single favorite setting of all time. Not just for tabletop either. I love that setting. Endless possibilities and I virtually never get to play in it.

This will be a common theme as I talk about my games.

Other Games I Love:

- Contenders (Great game for emulating professional fighting careers)
- Sorcerer (Beautiful game based around power dynamics in a dysfunctional relationship. Very flexible.)
- Whispering Vault (Surreal horror where you more or less play Cenobites)
- Cthulhutech (The Lovecraft Anime RPG. Love it.)
- Night's Black Agents (Spys vs Vampires with an awesome system)
- Most of the Old World of Darkness (Mage can eat roughly all the dicks. Hunter can die screaming in a fire.)
- Very little of the New World of Darkness (Changeling the Lost is awesome. Love the concept of Promethean and Beast.)
- Pathfinder (All the goodness of D&D without too much of the idiocy that has crept into their game design)

Offline Skynet

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:01:18 AM »
I own quite a few RPGs, although only a few I can say I play regularly.

Pathfinder is my favorite, although to be honest it's one of the rules-heavier systems which can be daunting for newcomers to get into. But what I like most about Pathfinder is the sheer number of versatile options. The Open Gaming License results in a cornucopia of third party support, akin to Elder Scrolls' mod support in diversity and content. Although Pathfinder is best at high-powered D&Desque fantasy we all know and love from 3rd Edition days, it really can be used to run a variety of adventure types and themes. It's all a matter of finding the right material.

Speaking of the right material...

Want a Western-style Steampunk? Check out Westbound!

Want a shadow mage class with a versatile skill-set of penumbral goodies? Path of Shadows has got you covered!

Want to be the bad guys for a change and fight against the forces of light for the greater glory of Asmodeus, Prince of Devils? Way of the Wicked is an entire adventure path dedicated to this!

Want a simpler, more balanced alternative to Vancian magic which can also replicate a wide variety of supernatural styles from your favorite media? Spheres of Power is one of the most popular and well-praised books.

Southlands is a rare gem, a setting written by one of the writers for al-Qadim back in the day. It draws off of medieval Arabia and sub-Saharan Africa, with a healthy dose of Ancient Egypt for good measure. I'm currently playing a game in this world with some gaming friends, and it's really fun so far.

You might notice that all my links above are third party stuff. The truth is, Paizo did quite a few good adventures and material back in the day, but at the moment I sort of feel that the well is getting dry and they're running out of innovation in areas. They're planning for a science-fantasy book, Starfinder, but for now my bread and butter is in third party support.

I'm also a rather big fan of old-school retroclones for Dungeons & Dragons. Like Pathfinder the core support is third party, but they have a different design aesthetic. Instead of having lots of character-building options, there's more focus on rules variants which are akin to houseruled D&D to fit certain themes and playstyles. As well as adventures.

A certain publisher I'm particularly fond of is Sine Nomine Publishing, whose latest release is Godbound. The best way to describe it would be a rules-lite Exalted which is actually won't break in half due to balance issues. It's set in a world recovering from a war where powerful mage-lords assaulted Heaven itself and plunder its resources, only to find the throne of God empty. The broken celestial engines are causing all sorts of maladies to transpire, and some of their threads are going down into the mortal world, imbuing a rare few with powerful Words of Creation, in effect turning them into living gods. The PCs number among these Godbound.

Best of all, it comes in a free version, which I linked to. The Deluxe version has 60 more pages worth of content, and there's some supplements being made for it as we speak.

It's possible that by the time I'm editing another post will be made, so right now I'll say another game I'm really into right now is Shadow of the Demon Lord. Its writer, Robert Schwalb, worked on the latest editions of both Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, and Shadow is like if those 2 games had a love child. It is set in a typical fantasy world...which is entering its last days as the pre-eminent Empire is undergoing civil war as its orc slave-soldiers rose up and put one of their own on the throne. A fell entity known as the Demon Lord lairs between dimensions and seeks to consume all worlds; it cannot get through on its own, so it relies upon fiendish minions and mortal servitors to help open up portals and cause disarray by making the world a worse place.

Mechanically, Shadow of the Demon Lord's a rather solid game. It still has a class system, alternatively called Paths, but are very versatile in allowing for a variety of character concepts, with Basic Paths the classic Mage/Priest/Thief/Warrior, and the Expert and Master Paths more akin to specialized AD&D kits or 3rd Edition Prestige Classes. However you can mix and match to your heart's content. Want to be a Thief who stole some strange devices and is now an Artificer? Go nuts. How about a Warrior who falls in with a militant order of religious fanatics and becomes a Paladin imbued with holy justice? That's totally within the rules!

It has lots of support. From index card-sized spell handouts to short adventures to sourcebooks for various setting tropes, several products come out a month and it's been going strong since 2014! Most of them are very affordable too, ranging from no more than a $1.50 for the adventures and minibooks to $10 for full-fledged sourcebooks. The core rulebook itself is $20 as a PDF but has nearly 300 pages.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:18:19 AM by Skynet »

Online CopperLily

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »
And I'm also tossing about whether or not I want to sink the money into getting the Warharmmer 40K stuff, but I've as of yet been unable to decide if it's the sort of thing I'd ever GM for my RL gaming group. (I never buy a game that I think my players won't play, since I am more often than not in the position of GMing, and my group has mixed feelings about it)

The license for this has been pulled, so if you think you might, do it now before it gets hard to find.

Systems I own:

- An embarrassing amount of Pendragon related stuff
- Enough to get by in Pathfinder
- Everything ever made for Blue Planet
- Some Warhammer 40K RPG stuff
- Lots of Exalted books
- Some Dark Ages: Vampire and related lines books.

Offline wander

• That Tired Lone Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Not A Gentleman
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, though Master to Noone.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »
Yep, I can vouch getting 40K books now is a real piece of work... I placed an order with my bookstore for Black Crusade (the only core they had left in stock), their website said it'd take 24 hours and in-store they said a week. It's been 3 weeks and I was told once they may have to go to the publishers to get it for me direct, which would suck as I doubt they're being printed still, though the contract does run out officially next February.

EDIT: I have my copy of Black Crusade now! Woooo!

Anyways, I do happen to already own Deathwatch. I can say the system looks crunchy on the paper, though when you sit and play it's pretty smooth once you find your niche. It uses a d100 styled system where you roll under the attribute and certain situational modifiers put + or - modifiers to the attribute before trying to roll under it.
Combat looks crunchy though is pretty simple based on full actions and half-actions sort of things.
Skills are bought and classed as known (where you roll them as +0, if you don't have a skill you get a -20 penalty to ... Seems alot when your general starting character has stats in the mid-30s most often, though you also often get high +10, +20 or even +30 for easy roll mods to boost the attribute score you need to roll under) and then experience increases the skill bonus after.

As for system rpgs... I have a shed-ton. If anyone would like to Pbp with me with one of these, PM me btw...

Black Crusade
Deathwatch. I also have limited access to Rogue Trader and Only War.
Adeptus Evangelion (fan-made Evangelion rpg using the system used in the above 40k games)
AD&D 2nd edition.
D&D 3.5
Mongoose's Conan rpg (which uses d20 like 3.5 as it's system)
Bleach d20 (fanmade d20 gaming for the Bleach manga/anime series)
Shadowrun 4th edition (20th anniversary edition)
Pokemon Tabletop United (fanmade rp based on Pokemon)
The old school Dragon Ball Z rpg
Usagi Yojimbo rpg (I think it uses the old Fuzion system)
Dungeon World (One of my Fave Games! I put in spoiler tag the CC free playkit for the game in the 1st post of my Wander Worlds thread for those interested)
ASOIAF rpg: Game of Thrones errata'd edition (complete with all the Game of Thrones campaign supplements)
Fate Core and Fate Accelerated (these are free/pay what you want. I have a fair few Worlds of Adventure for them, also free/pay what you want)
Eclipse Phase (Creative Commons makes this easy to find, both the standard game and the Fate Core edition)
Call of Cthulhu (pre 7th edition): including the Dreamlands and Dark Ages settings.
Cthulhutech (with every single supplement they've made for it)
Nights of the Crusades (free/pay what you want on drivethru, very recommended as the system is rules-lite and amazing)
So much World of Darkness stuff, both old wod, 1st edition nwod and 2nd edition god-machine era stuff. Got the Street Fighter 2 game from White Wolf too.  ;D
Fiasco (corebook is super cheap, mainly freeform once game is set up. You can find a shedton of free supplements for it online).
Grey Ranks (seriously, buy this game, it's great)
Big Eyes Small Mouth d20 (with the Hellsing supplement for it)
Tenchi Muyo! rpg (BESM Tri-stat d6 system)
Maid! ^_^
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Mongoose Traveller
Chthonian Stars (a supplement for Traveller that is like hard scifi space Lovecraft; played like a mix of Event Horizon with ALIENS)
The Void (the free/pay what you want standalone game of the above when the Mongoose contract went south. Plays more street level and like the original ALIEN movie after me and some other people did playtests of the above game and it became obvious how OP the PCs were over any monster/alien they'd fight.)
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.
Mass Effect: Apocalypse World hack (fan made and free to grab online)
Hc_Svnt_Dracones (imagine Eclipse Phase but with anthros)
Numenera (with the first few supplements for it, I'm not up to date with it)
Monsterhearts
(other *World hack stuff I'm forgetting)
Firefly rpg (Cortex Plus system)
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (cortex system)
DC Adventures (essentially Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition though with DC comic art for the pics inside)

There's even more I have as pdfs I've left in my drivethru library and have forgotten about here.

So yeah, I system game some... For reals, I wanna do it more here. ^___^;
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:57:37 AM by wander »

Online TheSithChicken

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:37:33 AM »
Now reading Nights of the Crusades. Looking very cool so far. Thanks for the recommendation, Wander.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 08:33:57 AM »
I've been a system gamer for probably a little over 30 years at this point, and I've played a lot of stuff in that time.

My top 3 RPGs are probably Scion, Legend of the Five Rings and Exalted. I'm a little surprised no one else has mentioned L5R before now, it's a really good setting, though my main bugbear with it was their using the results of CCG tournaments to steer the history / progress of the timeline.

I've played most of the 40k games, though not for very long unfortunately. I think they're a bit trickier for someone not familiar with the background to get into, in comparison to more generic (or well known) settings.

Other systems I've played campaigns in that I'd recommend .. Dresden Files, 7th Sea (swashbuckling), Star Wars, Smallville (Superhero game, we just used the rules and did our own setting)

I have a few others I'd like to play more, but never really got anywhere with, including Qin (wuxia in mythic China), and Into the Far West (steampunk western wuxia, not sure it ever got released).

I've been playing Vampire (VtM) with a new tabletop group for a couple of months. It's okay. Wouldn't be my first choice of game, but hopefully if the group gels we'll play other stuff in time that I like more.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »
The bulk of my library is various D&D material, 3.5 and Pathfinder books. Got most of White Wolf's Chronicles of Darkness line in both editions. Mutants+Masterminds, and the entirety of the Warhammer 40K RPG line. Shadowrun in its 4th, and 5th editions.

As far as more niche/obscure books, FATE probably doesn't count as that obscure, but I've also got a copy of Burning Wheel Gold, the latter of which I've never actually gotten to play and have always really, really wanted to try it out.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »
I've linked to the more obscure games.  We 'inherited' quite a bit when a friend of the family passed on, but I've at least perused most of these.

D&D 2nd ed, most of the books (including pre-copyright-strike 'Deities and Demigods').  Played for many years with a few house rules.
Old WOD - fair amount.
Cthulhu roleplaying from Chaosium - quite a bit.
Shadowrun, I think 2nd ed.
Earthdawn - decent amount, personally find it more interesting than Shadowrun.
Synnibarr (for the lolz)
Elric
Amber Diceless
Aria - Worlds
Nexus the Infinite City
Everquest

Offline NinjaWeazel

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Gosh, most of my library is in storage or lost to the ages, but lets see.  Just puttering around my room I can find...

D&D 3e
D&D 4e
RIFTs
Feng Shui 1st Edition
White Wolf
Shadowrun 3e
Shadowrun 4e
Dresden Files
Legends of the Wulin (in digital format)

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
Blue Rose will replicate the feel of Mercedes Lackey's romantic fantasy well. It's not on my to play list (which in no way stops me from owning it) as it's not my style but it's solid.

This is good to know! If it replicates the style well, my players might be interested in it, so it'll go on my 'to buy' list. I heard there was a new edition of Blue Rose in the works (or already out?), so I might try to find that!

AD&D will always have a special place in my heart. It's what I spent much of my early years playing and still has some of my favorite settings of all time. Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and most especially Planescape. I own all the the original stuff for all three of those. Planescape is actually my single favorite setting of all time. Not just for tabletop either. I love that setting. Endless possibilities and I virtually never get to play in it.

I started playing in 3.0/3.5 D&D. I've never successfully GMed or played in an AD&D game (I did have one unsuccessful GM attempt; my RL gaming group likes to laugh that off as the one time I accidentally TPK'd their party ;_;  ) I'd seriously love to play in Planescape, though; the more I read of it, the better it looks. There's a flavor to the Planes that I think the 3rd edition never really had.

- Contenders (Great game for emulating professional fighting careers)
- Sorcerer (Beautiful game based around power dynamics in a dysfunctional relationship. Very flexible.)
- Whispering Vault (Surreal horror where you more or less play Cenobites)
- Cthulhutech (The Lovecraft Anime RPG. Love it.)
- Night's Black Agents (Spys vs Vampires with an awesome system)
- Most of the Old World of Darkness (Mage can eat roughly all the dicks. Hunter can die screaming in a fire.)
- Very little of the New World of Darkness (Changeling the Lost is awesome. Love the concept of Promethean and Beast.)
- Pathfinder (All the goodness of D&D without too much of the idiocy that has crept into their game design)

I've never heard of Contenders before! This is why I like talking to other collectors; I learn about games I never knew about! I'll have to look into it--pro fighting career game sounds like something my group could really get into if they needed a break from the usual horror & fantasy we game in!

I want to like Mage, but my brain never quite successfully wrapped around it. There are really great concepts in there, but sometimes its too abstract for me, much as I've made attempts to play. I do genuinely love Hunter, but it's one of those games that I think has a very specific niche and didn't tie as well into the main canon of the game lines, so it's not one I get to play a lot. The oWoD line that's my favorite will always be Masquerade. The big game line I never really got into was the Werewolf stuff for some reason. It never really clicked with me, despite my love of playing monstrous characters. I never did figure out what made me not like it. :/

(Just to let people know, am going to reply one by one to all the fabulous posts here!)

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
Want a Western-style Steampunk? Check out Westbound!

Want a shadow mage class with a versatile skill-set of penumbral goodies? Path of Shadows has got you covered!

Want to be the bad guys for a change and fight against the forces of light for the greater glory of Asmodeus, Prince of Devils? Way of the Wicked is an entire adventure path dedicated to this!

Want a simpler, more balanced alternative to Vancian magic which can also replicate a wide variety of supernatural styles from your favorite media? Spheres of Power is one of the most popular and well-praised books.

Southlands is a rare gem, a setting written by one of the writers for al-Qadim back in the day. It draws off of medieval Arabia and sub-Saharan Africa, with a healthy dose of Ancient Egypt for good measure. I'm currently playing a game in this world with some gaming friends, and it's really fun so far.
>_>

<_<

...this is going to result in me adding sooo many things to my buy-list. You always find such good stuff, Skynet. One of the reasons I got into Eclipse Phase was due to seeing you post about it and another member telling me very wonderful things about it.

I'm also a rather big fan of old-school retroclones for Dungeons & Dragons. Like Pathfinder the core support is third party, but they have a different design aesthetic. Instead of having lots of character-building options, there's more focus on rules variants which are akin to houseruled D&D to fit certain themes and playstyles. As well as adventures.

I bought Adventurer, Conquerer, King because it looked like a pretty nifty retroclone. Very neat looking--I can see why you like retroclones!

A certain publisher I'm particularly fond of is Sine Nomine Publishing, whose latest release is Godbound. The best way to describe it would be a rules-lite Exalted which is actually won't break in half due to balance issues. It's set in a world recovering from a war where powerful mage-lords assaulted Heaven itself and plunder its resources, only to find the throne of God empty. The broken celestial engines are causing all sorts of maladies to transpire, and some of their threads are going down into the mortal world, imbuing a rare few with powerful Words of Creation, in effect turning them into living gods. The PCs number among these Godbound.

Best of all, it comes in a free version, which I linked to. The Deluxe version has 60 more pages worth of content, and there's some supplements being made for it as we speak.

Godbound's been on my wishlist for some time; it seems it might be a cheaper but just as quality investment for me to make rather than going for Exalted at the moment. ^^

It's possible that by the time I'm editing another post will be made, so right now I'll say another game I'm really into right now is Shadow of the Demon Lord. Its writer, Robert Schwalb, worked on the latest editions of both Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, and Shadow is like if those 2 games had a love child. It is set in a typical fantasy world...which is entering its last days as the pre-eminent Empire is undergoing civil war as its orc slave-soldiers rose up and put one of their own on the throne. A fell entity known as the Demon Lord lairs between dimensions and seeks to consume all worlds; it cannot get through on its own, so it relies upon fiendish minions and mortal servitors to help open up portals and cause disarray by making the world a worse place.

One of my friends bought this and might run it; I'm likely to wait and see how his game goes before I buy it. Usually I'm the one that buys stuff to test it for my group, not the other way around, but he's told me very good things about it so far. Plus, I like Schwalb; he's generally a pretty solid writer.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
The license for this has been pulled, so if you think you might, do it now before it gets hard to find.

Thank you for letting me know this; I didn't know!

*pushes WH40K up on the to-buy list!*

Systems I own:

- An embarrassing amount of Pendragon related stuff
- Enough to get by in Pathfinder
- Everything ever made for Blue Planet
- Some Warhammer 40K RPG stuff
- Lots of Exalted books
- Some Dark Ages: Vampire and related lines books.

My friend wanting to run a Shadow of the Demon Lord game also mentioned wanting to run Blue Planet; it's another of those that I'm waiting to purchase based on how his game goes.

And I love the DAV stuff; that stuff is like my bread and butter.  ;D

Offline Thorne

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
I feel like I ought to mention The Dark Eye, which I have heard a lot of good things about, and has just been translated into English.

I have no personal experience with it, but Mr. Thorne has been bouncing a bit since the Kickstarter went by. ^^;

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
Deathwatch (as mentioned above). I also have limited access to Rogue Trader and Only War.
Adeptus Evangelion (fan-made Evangelion rpg using the 40k system)
AD&D 2nd edition.
D&D 3.5
Mongoose's Conan rpg (which uses d20 like 3.5 as it's system)
Bleach d20 (fanmade d20 gaming for the Bleach manga/anime series)
Shadowrun 4th edition (20th anniversary edition)
Pokemon Tabletop United (fanmade rp based on Pokemon)
The old school Dragon Ball Z rpg
Usagi Yojimbo rpg (I think it uses the old Fuzion system)
Dungeon World (One of my Fave Games! I put in spoiler tag the CC free playkit for the game in the 1st post of my Wander Worlds thread for those interested)
ASOIAF rpg: Game of Thrones errata'd edition (complete with all the Game of Thrones campaign supplements)
Fate Core and Fate Accelerated (these are free/pay what you want. I have a fair few Worlds of Adventure for them, also free/pay what you want)
Eclipse Phase (Creative Commons makes this easy to find, both the standard game and the Fate Core edition)
Call of Cthulhu (pre 7th edition): including the Dreamlands and Dark Ages settings.
Cthulhutech (with every single supplement they've made for it)
Nights of the Crusades (free/pay what you want on drivethru, very recommended as the system is rules-lite and amazing)
So much World of Darkness stuff, both old wod, 1st edition nwod and 2nd edition god-machine era stuff. Got the Street Fighter 2 game from White Wolf too.  ;D
Fiasco (corebook is super cheap, mainly freeform once game is set up. You can find a shedton of free supplements for it online).
Grey Ranks (seriously, buy this game, it's great)
Big Eyes Small Mouth d20 (with the Hellsing supplement for it)
Tenchi Muyo! rpg (BESM Tri-stat d6 system)
Maid! ^_^
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Mongoose Traveller
Chthonian Stars (a supplement for Traveller that is like hard scifi space Lovecraft; played like a mix of Event Horizon with ALIENS)
The Void (the free/pay what you want standalone game of the above when the Mongoose contract went south. Plays more street level and like the original ALIEN movie after me and some other people did playtests of the above game and it became obvious how OP the PCs were over any monster/alien they'd fight.)
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.
Mass Effect: Apocalypse World hack (fan made and free to grab online)
Hc_Svnt_Dracones (imagine Eclipse Phase but with anthros)
Monsterhearts
(other *World hack stuff I'm forgetting)
Firefly rpg (Cortex Plus system)
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (cortex system)
DC Adventures (essentially Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition though with DC comic art for the pics inside)

I pretty much adore anything using the PbtA engine, which includes Dungeon World and all its associated goodies. I'm still really enjoying reading Fellowship, the LOTR PbtA game. That's the particular hack that's my favorite, although Monsterhearts is a close second!

I've had difficulty getting into superhero game genres; I think the only supers-related thing I own is Mutants and Masterminds, the third edition. It's not bad, but since it's not my cup of tea, my RL group hasn't been able to persuade me to run it.

And Fiasco kicks ass, heh!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
I've been a system gamer for probably a little over 30 years at this point, and I've played a lot of stuff in that time.

My top 3 RPGs are probably Scion, Legend of the Five Rings and Exalted. I'm a little surprised no one else has mentioned L5R before now, it's a really good setting, though my main bugbear with it was their using the results of CCG tournaments to steer the history / progress of the timeline.

I've played most of the 40k games, though not for very long unfortunately. I think they're a bit trickier for someone not familiar with the background to get into, in comparison to more generic (or well known) settings.

Other systems I've played campaigns in that I'd recommend .. Dresden Files, 7th Sea (swashbuckling), Star Wars, Smallville (Superhero game, we just used the rules and did our own setting)

I have a few others I'd like to play more, but never really got anywhere with, including Qin (wuxia in mythic China), and Into the Far West (steampunk western wuxia, not sure it ever got released).

I've got the 4th edition of L5R. Dear sweet lord, the book is gorgeous; I seem to have quite a few books/supplements for it. The setting is magnificent. (One of these days imma play a Tsuruchi archer, I swear!) L5R 4e is pretty much everything I want in a tabletop rpg.

How does Qin play? I've had my eye on it, but I've never been able to make up my mind on whether or not I'd like to buy it!

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 03:50:15 PM »
The bulk of my library is various D&D material, 3.5 and Pathfinder books. Got most of White Wolf's Chronicles of Darkness line in both editions. Mutants+Masterminds, and the entirety of the Warhammer 40K RPG line. Shadowrun in its 4th, and 5th editions.

As far as more niche/obscure books, FATE probably doesn't count as that obscure, but I've also got a copy of Burning Wheel Gold, the latter of which I've never actually gotten to play and have always really, really wanted to try it out.

I've also got Burning Wheel Gold, but never had a chance to play it. It's a very unusual book, different from what I usually play. I'm slowly attempting to persuade my group to give it a go, but they won't want to until I agree to run Pathfinder again (I'm all PF'd out at the moment, so I keep telling them no), so I'm at a statemate on that one. ^^

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
I've linked to the more obscure games.  We 'inherited' quite a bit when a friend of the family passed on, but I've at least perused most of these.

D&D 2nd ed, most of the books (including pre-copyright-strike 'Deities and Demigods').  Played for many years with a few house rules.
Old WOD - fair amount.
Cthulhu roleplaying from Chaosium - quite a bit.
Shadowrun, I think 2nd ed.
Earthdawn - decent amount, personally find it more interesting than Shadowrun.
Synnibarr (for the lolz)
Elric
Amber Diceless
Aria - Worlds
Nexus the Infinite City
Everquest

Nexus looks really neat and uses a 2d6 mechanic; that'll go on my 'to-buy list!'

Aria looks like something I'd dig as a GM; the wiki blurb got my attention in a big way.  :o

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »
Gosh, most of my library is in storage or lost to the ages, but lets see.  Just puttering around my room I can find...

D&D 3e
D&D 4e
RIFTs
Feng Shui 1st Edition
White Wolf
Shadowrun 3e
Shadowrun 4e
Dresden Files
Legends of the Wulin (in digital format)

I've heard good and bad things about RIFTs--I've heard the system's incredibly clunky & crunchy, but that the setting is absolutely amazing. Have you gotten to play it? What's it like?

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
I feel like I ought to mention The Dark Eye, which I have heard a lot of good things about, and has just been translated into English.

I have no personal experience with it, but Mr. Thorne has been bouncing a bit since the Kickstarter went by. ^^;

I totally missed the Kickstarter for it; this has been on my wishlist, if only because it just looked cool.  ;D

Offline Thorne

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 03:58:43 PM »
I totally missed the Kickstarter for it; this has been on my wishlist, if only because it just looked cool.  ;D

It should be available. I know we got our copy last month..? and I'd swear I've seen it on shelves in one of our FLGS' this month.

Annnnd... yup. DTRPG has the PDFs. I link the core book, but they have the quick-start guide too, and that is free.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185074/The-Dark-Eye--Core-Rules

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »
I've also got Burning Wheel Gold, but never had a chance to play it. It's a very unusual book, different from what I usually play. I'm slowly attempting to persuade my group to give it a go, but they won't want to until I agree to run Pathfinder again (I'm all PF'd out at the moment, so I keep telling them no), so I'm at a statemate on that one. ^^

I've tried a few times to try and get a PbP here on E, but never even got sparks of interest.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
Okay, now for a small sampling of what I own:

- A reasonable collection of AD&D materials, mostly focused on Planescape & Ravenloft, but my collections aren't complete
- So many 3rd edition D&D books. Well over 40.
- d20 Modern
- Pathfinder (too many books here to count, in excess of 100 books, not counting Adventure Modules, not counting some of the 3rd party material from Frog God Games I bought in a Humble Bundle)
- An awful lot of DAV, oWoD, and nWoD, but I've been dicey on buying the Chronicles of Darkness stuff for nWoD. (My oWoD collection includes the 20th Anniversary books for Vampire and Werewolf, and it also includes the By Night Studios LARP book)
- Adventurer, Conqueror, King
- Anima: Beyond Fantasy (expensive and a PITA to get ahold of when I initially bought it, but it had a great setting. And the art was insanely good. System's way too clunky, though)
- Belly of the Beast
- Beyond the Wall
- Burning Wheel (Gold Edition)
- Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine
- Deadlands
- Dragon Age
- Dungeon World (PbtA hack)
- Eclipse Phase
- FATE (including Dresden Files, Atomic Robo, Diaspora, and a few others books and supplements)
- Fellowship (PbtA hack)
- GURPS, some 3e and 4e. 'Infinite Worlds' and the 'Discworld' setting are my absolute favorite things about GURPs, even if I've never warmed up to the system.
- JAGS and it's supplement, JAGS Wonderland
- Kuro
- MAID
- Monsters and Other Childish Things
- Midnight (d20 3e sort of game--think 'Lord of the Rings if Sauron won' sort of a tone)
- My Life With Master
- Mythic (Roleplaying, Variations, and the GM Emulator)
- Numenera
- OVA Revised
- Paranoia XP
- Powerframe
- Scion
- Unhallowed Metropolis (and Unhallowed Necropolis)
- Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate
- Yggdrasil
- WITCH: Fated Souls

This isn't all that I own, just a good idea of my collection. Some books I have in storage, and when I can, I buy stuff as pdfs at this juncture, because there's only so many shelves a man can buy or build before he runs outta floor. <_<

It should be available. I know we got our copy last month..? and I'd swear I've seen it on shelves in one of our FLGS' this month.

Annnnd... yup. DTRPG has the PDFs. I link the core book, but they have the quick-start guide too, and that is free.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185074/The-Dark-Eye--Core-Rules

yaaaaassssssssssss <3 <3

I've tried a few times to try and get a PbP here on E, but never even got sparks of interest.

It seems to be an obscure game; you're actually the first person I've encountered online that owns it. ^^:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:11:14 PM by Blythe »

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »

It seems to be an obscure game; you're actually the first person I've encountered online that owns it. ^^:

Likewise. It's rare to find people who have even heard of it, let alone own it.

Offline wander

• That Tired Lone Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Not A Gentleman
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, though Master to Noone.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
*nods* I'm glad you managed to get through the list and see what was about! ^^

As for my tale of rpgs, I started in my teens with AD&D 2nd edition. The main three books were released in the shiny black bordered rerelease and I snapped them up. Eventually I moved onto Call of Cthulhu when I was around 15, it was the 1999 release that came out that year, I believe I got it either for my bday or Christmas, it was hearing the rumour that your PC would go insane by looking at the monsters that appealed to me... Well, the art was great in the book, even if it was black and white sketches and my love for Lovecraft (lol) developed from there... At the time I didn't even know it was based on the author's work!

I took a break from rpgs once I hit Uni, at the time I was really the only person about who enjoyed them, so no sessions happened there. When I was 20 I found the Hellsing tv series, loved it and snapped up the manga becoming a fan. That's when I found the Hellsing d20 game (sadly out of print now) which got me into the d20 system. I even went and made homebrew sheets for the members of Millennium, Captain Bernadotte, Vampire Walter... Games were at Epic level though the fires were back. ^^

The most success I've had from rpgs have been (outside of Dungeon World, my current fave system) from Cthulhutech and also Traveller. I ran a fair few sessions of Chthonian Stars online and this is what led to the more lower powered version of The Void (free/pay what you want... Bare bones compared to the Chthonian Stars corebook, though if you like to rp something like the film Event Horizon, have a look).

I also used to love Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (another sadly out of print now, though worth looking for due to it's simple rules-lite and intuitive system), though it had a massive issue... It was free for all with character generation, you could have as many or little powers as you want and at any rating you wanted... At first games were awesome as people played canon heroes from the books and the system was simple to pick up. Then people with less experience of the game jumped onboard and I started to see heroes who could fight and win against Galactus and Thanos one on one in a square brawl... This made it hard to challenge that character with the 'I win' button and not have things for them decimate everyone else. My disappointment finally built to the point that I rarely play now.

Adeptus Evangelion does amazing representation of the Angel Fights from that series, it's a lil crunchy to set things up, though when you get going it's essentially fairly simple and light fight dice rolling... Plus you have the risk of your Eva pilot going insane or turning into Tang! Just like in the End of Evangelion! xD In all seriousness, this is a fun and amazing fan-made supplement to the 40K games, though of course you'll need one of those to run this. Also I found out after being in three Pbp games for this that the game rapidly dies a death outside of the battle scenes... If running it, I say do not spend ages trying to develop the characters on-foot... The Evangelion piloting battles are SUPER FUN and EVERYONE is merely waiting to get to the next one in line once their current one is done.

The last game I'll mention is Grey Ranks, it's a game where you play mid to late teenage Polish resistance members in the fall of Warsaw 1944.
Its a limited run campaign and characters aren't going to change the history of the event, it's more about seeing what the situation makes of them, if they survive and if they get out alive or captured by the Nazis come the end of it. It's an amazing character driven game and is very similar to Fiasco in it's mainly narrative play (infact it's made by the devs of Fiasco).
The game has 10 chapters, a completely free form 1st chapter, the 10th is like the epilogue to Fiasco, it's in chapters 2-9 that you plan some type of mission or goal (there's no GM, it's all collaborative storyforming) and come the end, you donate a dice to the pool and roll the difficulty. This gets increasingly harder to beat over those 8 chapters and you'll eventually have to sacrifice something dearly held by your character in the narrative to boost the sides of your dice to make the DC. This sacrifice gets included somehow in the narrative (for example, you're hiding from Nazis and your pet dog is barking, risking them being alerted to your presence. Maybe your dicepool will get you through the mission though it's late in the game... Do you or someone in the group kill the loyal dog to keep hidden?).
At the end of each chapter there's a little chart that decides what dice you have, you place counters representing your characters on it and depending on how the mission went they move around. In the corners are things that say 'suicide' or 'insanity' etc. Basically, if you pass twice through those squares in the game, your character is written out of the game and what they land on is what happens to them and is narrated out. Their counter is then locked onto the square they were on so they still donate dice to the mission and even can contribute still to the narrative, though their character is no longer around.
Also it has a mechanic of higher sided dice used in the mission pool represent something going bad, whilst lower sided dice (which means more chance of failing the mission) represent something good happening, which is included in the narrative. And to boot, each player gets two scenes each chapter and a dice for each, there's what they do in the mission with the group which they use their dice to donate to the pool, then they get a personal scene which is usually a flashback or character developing scene all about them, with a smaller dc they use their other dice to roll for. Could be something light like trying to ask their crush on a date to fighting with parents to break curfew to do their resistance work.

So yep, I dig Grey Ranks. Costs about the same as Fiasco and whilst it is far from a happy joyful cheery adventure, it really makes amazingly thoughtful and touching stories. Its the Grave of the Fireflies of rpgs, I think.