Macross 2032 - Transforming space fighters... In Space!

Started by Cassandra LeMay, December 08, 2016, 08:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesiroleplay

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on January 18, 2017, 01:19:57 AM
Sure you can play something else than a fighter pilot. You could be a bridge bunny.  :D

Now, as for your character... One potential problem with the age: At that age a career officer could have reached a pretty high rank, and I would prefer characters to be no higher rank than Lt.Commander. Above that and you might spend more time on administrative duties than actual flying (and outrank everyone else in the group). I know a veteran of Space War One would have to be that age, but we might need to find a way to keep his rank at a moderate level.

Yeah but non-pilots don't count  :P.  I'd be OK with the character having been busted down from say O-4 during the war but the offense not being enough to let experienced pilot go in the middle of a war, then he or she (no sure yet) had to bust ass to prove themselves and earn the way back to O-4 or 5.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on January 18, 2017, 08:53:19 PM
Yeah but non-pilots don't count  :P.  I'd be OK with the character having been busted down from say O-4 during the war but the offense not being enough to let experienced pilot go in the middle of a war, then he or she (no sure yet) had to bust ass to prove themselves and earn the way back to O-4 or 5.
Given that your character must have been pretty young during the war about 18-20 or so, he/she is unlikely to have had such a high rank during the war.

Lets say your current rank in 2032 is O4 (Lt.Cmdr.). Something worth considering is that he/she left the military for a while after the war, but couldn't make it as a civilian and joined the military again after some time as a civilian. That would allow us to have that character at almost any rank we want, and it might give you room to add some more background story than a purely military career would allow. What do you think?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on January 18, 2017, 11:14:07 PM
Given that your character must have been pretty young during the war about 18-20 or so, he/she is unlikely to have had such a high rank during the war.

Lets say your current rank in 2032 is O4 (Lt.Cmdr.). Something worth considering is that he/she left the military for a while after the war, but couldn't make it as a civilian and joined the military again after some time as a civilian. That would allow us to have that character at almost any rank we want, and it might give you room to add some more background story than a purely military career would allow. What do you think?
I am OK with that.

I would add just for reference from the real world the youngest general in the American Civil War was 20 years old, and while he was an exception (there were a few not much older) war and attrition blow all of the 'rules' right out of the water. But that is just the historian me leaking out.

That said I could go with leaveing and being called back because experinced pilots were needed.

Mac84

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on January 19, 2017, 09:20:03 PM
I would add just for reference from the real world the youngest general in the American Civil War was 20 years old, and while he was an exception (there were a few not much older) war and attrition blow all of the 'rules' right out of the water. But that is just the historian me leaking out.

That said I could go with leaveing and being called back because experinced pilots were needed.
Funny coincidence that you mention the Civil War, as I have just recently finished the first book of Shelby Foote's three part history of the Civil War. I am now about 300 pages into the second book.  ;D The subject has always interested me ever since I saw the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War ages ago. (I re-watch it every few years, actually.)

That aside, it would probably be best if your character decided on his/her own to join the military again, as there is currently no major emergency that would justify calling back retired/reserve members, but perhaps we should take this discussion to the OOC thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=260005.0

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Mac84

Cassandra LeMay

Thanks for the bump, Mac.  :-) And yes, we could fit in another player or two. I'll admit that thigs have been moving a wee bit slowly, but that does mean new players won't have much catching up to do.  ;)

(Sonia Sotomayor)