You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

March 02, 2021, 05:10:50 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: [Pathfinder / Eberron] When in Windshire... (Recruiting - CLOSED)  (Read 9229 times)

Offline Thorne

Re: [Pathfinder / Eberron] When in Windshire... (Recruiting)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 11:35:56 pm »
Wyveran are basically flying kobolds, yanno.

Hm. I'm thinkin' a rogue. I'm presently thinkin' a human rogue. Mebbe with katar.

Offline Arsene

• Nightmare Twink
  • Liege
  • Bacchae
  • Location: One foot in the grave, the other in a Hello Kitty roller skate
  • Any pronouns are fine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:57 pm »

Finn Caldamus
CN Tiefling Alchemist 1

Appearance: Standing tall at around 6'1", Finn is a lanky tiefling with an easy, roguish smile and sharp, darting eyes. There's no hiding his origins - his skin is a deep red, with golden eyes and messy black hair. One of the horns on his head is cracked and broken, likely from an alchemy experiment gone wrong. Expressive, constantly moving hands have sharp black nails at the end of his slender fingers. His clothes are simple and sturdy, often covered in miscellaneous stains and soot marks. They're also absolutely riddled with secret pockets. Seriously, pockets in places you don't even want to know about. A bandoleer across his chest and a belt slung around his hips carry assorted potions, vials, and gods only know what else. His long devil-esque tail flicks lazily from side to side when he's irritated.

Personality: Finn is frighteningly intelligent, although it's tempered by his absolutely horrible impulse control. Rash, hedonistic, and quick to anger (or joy), once he puts his mind to something he will stop at nothing to figure out a solution that works out perfectly for him. While he's rarely openly antagonistic, he has a tendency to put people off - if not because of his fiendish heritage, then with his constantly racing thoughts and tendency to blurt out said thoughts without regard for propriety. He tends not to get too close to people, although it's not out of an active desire to drive others away - he takes very few things other than alchemy seriously, including relationships. But he's fiercely loyal and protective of the few people he does consider worthy of his emotional energy, and is always someone you'll be glad to have in your corner, if only to get him to throw his bombs at someone other than you.

Background: Finn grew up in an orphanage in Fairhaven, where he had a supernatural knack for finding new and exciting ways to get in trouble. He continually broke into mage's homes to steal books and reagents, fascinated by the art of alchemy. As soon as he was old enough, he ventured off to Arcanix to study at the Tower of Alchemy, refusing to leave and hellbent on making the professor's lives hell until they accepted him. He's been there ever since, and remained there during the war, refusing to get involved and bettering his craft instead. Finn has only recently left Arcanix in somewhat of a hurry, and seems pretty evasive when asked about his sudden departure.

[Full size image]
[Please don't save this image to use as your own - it's my own art!]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:53:43 pm by Arsene »

Offline firepyre

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 12:18:01 am »
Here's my concept. I haven't done up a sheet just yet, but first things first. I'm not particularly well versed with the Eberron setting, so if if I've stuffed anything up, let me know.

Darric Vold - Paladin?
Name: Darric Vold
Race: Merely Human
Class: Enlightened Paladin/Oracle (Oradin)
Alignment: LG

Concept in short:

It's not easy being the good guy. Sometimes, following the law, and doing good aren't the same. Knowing right from wrong, in a world filled with grey is a tricky business sometimes. Darric isn't your typical paladin, the naive rich kid, who has everything, including a stick up his ass, and an idiotically idealistic world view. Darric is just a man with his own problems and vices, trying to do the best he can. He's seen his fair share of ugly during his time in the city guard. You can't save everyone, and you can't just go beating up every beggar that steals a loaf of bread. It doesn't work like that. You just have to do what you can, and live with it. Drinking helps.

Darric is intended as a departure from the stereotypical paladin. He's still a good, law abiding person, but exposure to the dregs of society have soured his world view somewhat, turning him a bit cynical. He's not going to waste time on the small stuff like crooked allies. He's not entirely sure what drives him anymore, but he figures there must be something better out there.

Personality:

Though fundamentally good in nature, Darric is a bit rough around the edges, drinking and swearing with the worst of them. He's actually fairly charming, if you're into dark and brooding, and he's even a decent conversationalist, provided you steer clear of certain topics, like why he left the city.  He's no saint, but he makes a solid effort to do the right thing, something he doesn't tend to give himself nearly enough credit for. For him, his lack of power to make a difference frustrates him, causing him to see the world, and himself in a darker light. As far as people go, he's actually quite noble, not afraid to step in and say what needs said, and do what needs done. He holds himself to far higher standards than he expects from others,  and thus tends to view himself in an unflattering light when he fails to meet those standards.

Darric can usually be found in the thick of it. He is a man of action, rather than thought. To his mind, it is better to act, and make mistakes, than not to act, and never achieve anything. It is an ideology that he now finds himself questioning, given how little of an impact he feels his actions have had - like a drop in the ocean. He is the kind of guy that will gladly take an arrow for you, be you a king or a slave, though you'd never hear the end of it. Though he'd never admit it, at heart, he's lonely, he needs others to give him purpose, to protect. To make him feel like he matters.

Background:

Darric is of common station, born to an ordinary family in a major city. He grew up around the streets, and made and lost friends on them. As he came of age, around sixteen, he joined the city watch with the blessing of his family, helping keep order, a good fit for an earnest young lad. There, he trained with the oathkeepers, a minor order of paladins that aided the watch in keeping order.

For seven years, he served in the watch, seeing a darker side of the city, one that had been hidden to him as a child. He did what he could, but it was never enough, and so, like many others, he took to drinking to chase away his inner demons, and the ghosts of those he'd failed. But not all men are born equal, and the watch had its fair share of corrupt cops... who didn't much like someone as upstanding as Darric. A feud developed, and one night, after drinking a little too much, it came to blows in a back alley, leaving Darric with a few bruises and a bloody nose, and the other guy unconscious in the dirt with a few teeth missing. If that guy had just been a fellow officer, he might have gotten off with a slap on the wrist. But it wasn't. It was his captain. Darric was lucky not to be jailed, his side of the story be damned. He lost his badge, and was cast out of the force. Seven years gone in a moment's injustice.

Jobless, and disillusioned, Darric stepped onto the lightning rail, and left the city behind, looking to start anew somewhere else, somewhere he could make a difference. Fate has taken him to Windshire, a request for aid catching his attention - one that will hopefully refill his rapidly dwindling purse, and give him purpose once again.

Inspiration:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:27:29 am by firepyre »

Offline TFcommando

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 12:33:24 am »
How do the Pathfinder firearms work with the Eberron setting, if at all, as far as price and availability?  I've also come up with a swashbuckler type and had some thoughts about a Picaroon for that stylish sword and gun look.

Offline ChulanowaTopic starter

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:46 am »
How do the Pathfinder firearms work with the Eberron setting, if at all, as far as price and availability?  I've also come up with a swashbuckler type and had some thoughts about a Picaroon for that stylish sword and gun look.

I'm going with "emerging guns." In a world like Eberron, they'd really be seen more like a novelty or some sort of toy, since magic is so commonplace.

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 12:49:05 am »
I have a bare-bones outline of the various churches in the setting in the works. Just reading through, he strikes me as a Silver Flame kind of guy.

Also, your pictures remind me - I house-rule that spears can be used one-handed, as a martial weapon. I mean they do the same damage as a longsword, and spear + Shield is a hugely common fighting style, so why not.

Here's my concept. I haven't done up a sheet just yet, but first things first. I'm not particularly well versed with the Eberron setting, so if if I've stuffed anything up, let me know.

Darric Vold - Paladin?
Name: Darric Vold
Race: Merely Human
Class: Enlightened Paladin/Oracle (Oradin)
Alignment: LG

Concept in short:

It's not easy being the good guy. Sometimes, following the law, and doing good aren't the same. Knowing right from wrong, in a world filled with grey is a tricky business sometimes. Darric isn't your typical paladin, the naive rich kid, who has everything, including a stick up his ass, and an idiotically idealistic world view. Darric is just a man with his own problems and vices, trying to do the best he can. He's seen his fair share of ugly during his time in the city guard. You can't save everyone, and you can't just go beating up every beggar that steals a loaf of bread. It doesn't work like that. You just have to do what you can, and live with it. Drinking helps.

Darric is intended as a departure from the stereotypical paladin. He's still a good, law abiding person, but exposure to the dregs of society have soured his world view somewhat, turning him a bit cynical. He's not going to waste time on the small stuff like crooked allies. He's not entirely sure what drives him anymore, but he figures there must be something better out there.

Personality:

Though fundamentally good in nature, Darric is a bit rough around the edges, drinking and swearing with the worst of them. He's actually fairly charming, if you're into dark and brooding, and he's even a decent conversationalist, provided you steer clear of certain topics, like why he left the city.  He's no saint, but he makes a solid effort to do the right thing, something he doesn't tend to give himself nearly enough credit for. For him, his lack of power to make a difference frustrates him, causing him to see the world, and himself in a darker light. As far as people go, he's actually quite noble, not afraid to step in and say what needs said, and do what needs done. He holds himself to far higher standards than he expects from others,  and thus tends to view himself in an unflattering light when he fails to meet those standards.

Darric can usually be found in the thick of it. He is a man of action, rather than thought. To his mind, it is better to act, and make mistakes, than not to act, and never achieve anything. It is an ideology that he now finds himself questioning, given how little of an impact he feels his actions have had - like a drop in the ocean. He is the kind of guy that will gladly take an arrow for you, be you a king or a slave, though you'd never hear the end of it. Though he'd never admit it, at heart, he's lonely, he needs others to give him purpose, to protect. To make him feel like he matters.

Background:

Darric is of common station, born to an ordinary family in a major city. He grew up around the streets, and made and lost friends on them. As he came of age, around sixteen, he joined the city watch with the blessing of his family, helping keep order, a good fit for an earnest young lad. There, he trained with the oathkeepers, a minor order of paladins that aided the watch in keeping order.

For seven years, he served in the watch, seeing a darker side of the city, one that had been hidden to him as a child. He did what he could, but it was never enough, and so, like many others, he took to drinking to chase away his inner demons, and the ghosts of those he'd failed. But not all men are born equal, and the watch had its fair share of corrupt cops... who didn't much like someone as upstanding as Darric. A feud developed, and one night, after drinking a little too much, it came to blows in a back alley, leaving Darric with a few bruises and a bloody nose, and the other guy unconscious in the dirt with a few teeth missing. If that guy had just been a fellow officer, he might have gotten off with a slap on the wrist. But it wasn't. It was his captain. Darric was lucky not to be jailed, his side of the story be damned. He lost his badge, and was cast out of the force. Seven years gone in a moment's injustice.

Jobless, and disillusioned, Darric stepped onto the lightning rail, and left the city behind, looking to start anew somewhere else, somewhere he could make a difference. Fate has taken him to Windshire, a request for aid catching his attention - one that will hopefully refill his rapidly dwindling purse, and give him purpose once again.

Inspiration:

Offline firepyre

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 01:27:25 am »
After doing a bit of reading, I actually think he'd suit the Blood of Vol better. They seem more tolerant, if misunderstood. But maybe he could have been Silver Flame, and grown disillusioned with their methods, leading to his current state of mind. Perhaps another PC could even persuade him to convert as the game progresses. In any case I'd be happy to rework his backstory.

Offline CarnivalOfTheGoat

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 01:52:55 am »
I don't actually, but knowing you, I expect a character that is actually three kobolds in a coat.

Nah, I already did the three lesbian kobolds in a coat. That trick never works. They're too easily distracted.

Eberron. HALFLING DINOSAUR CAVALRY.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 03:11:12 am »
After doing a bit of reading, I actually think he'd suit the Blood of Vol better. They seem more tolerant, if misunderstood. But maybe he could have been Silver Flame, and grown disillusioned with their methods, leading to his current state of mind. Perhaps another PC could even persuade him to convert as the game progresses. In any case I'd be happy to rework his backstory.

The Blood of Vol would be a pretty difficult religion for a Paladin to work with. I mean technically possible in Eberron, but, well, they're kind of evil, kinda obsessed with necromancy and the undead, and Paladins still have to be Lawful Good and follow their code of ethics.

Offline Silver Phoenix

• Part-time Poet ~ Amateur Scholar ~ Professional Dreamer ~ Weaver of Fantasia
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • Need to think of something witty... coffee first!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 03:16:32 am »
Egads!  Somehow, I find myself late to the party, I suggested get started! lol

On the plus side, I've sort of already decided on a Kalashtar Kineticist (Kinetic Fist archetype; so kind of a monkish kineticist), though the desire for an Unchained Monk still is gnawing at me, though since I've started a character sheet for the former it is more likely I'll have that one incarnated.

Offline firepyre

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 06:45:57 am »
The Blood of Vol would be a pretty difficult religion for a Paladin to work with. I mean technically possible in Eberron, but, well, they're kind of evil, kinda obsessed with necromancy and the undead, and Paladins still have to be Lawful Good and follow their code of ethics.

The way I read it, their core belief is unaligned, abiet widely misunderstood, even if it was started by an evil lich. They believe power lies within, in the blood, but I can't see anything that suggests it must be used for evil. The idea that the power is there, but he's just not good enough to use it fits what I had in mind perfectly.  Drinking each other's blood is probably a little more traditionally evil, but it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me to sell it as a kind of bonding ritual. It probably depends on how it's preached to him. I can even see him partaking in the blood of his slain foes, as a kind of mark of respect to the dead. It'd be more ritualistic, a drop from a silver dagger, than bloodbath though. If it creeps everyone else out, well that could be fun to RP too, as would crossing paths with a more stereotypical evil follower.

Maybe it was his beliefs, and the prejudice surrounding them that alienated him and got him cast out in the first place?

EDIT: Just to clarify, The silver legion's core tennet is destroy all evil. They come across as "good" guys with questionable methods/morality. I want to play the inverse, a character whose heart is in the right place(firmly LG), but who has some questionable habits/vices, mostly to cope with trauma from when things inevitably go wrong. Someone who believes in tolerance and understanding over hate and prejudice, and rehabilitation versus punishment. I expect he'll spend a lot of time atoning. Probably in a bar, staring into a tankard.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:37:55 am by firepyre »

Offline Thorne

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 07:42:06 am »
It's Eberron; 'good' and 'evil' don't always wear the hats they're supposed to wear anyway. I've seen the Silver Flame portrayed as wildly evil, and Kaarnish necromancers described as 'good'. So I'd say there's wiggle-room.

Also, it's entirely too early and my brain is operating on not enough sleep because .. I don't even know. So, yanno.

Nah, I already did the three lesbian kobolds in a coat. That trick never works. They're too easily distracted.

Eberron. HALFLING DINOSAUR CAVALRY.

Naturally. Because, if it doesn't involve a Halfling on a giant velociraptor, someone isn't doing something right. *sage nod*

Online Rummy Tum Tum

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 11:51:41 am »
I thought of my character being from the Blood of Vol cult religion as well, but I was pretty sure they don't train monks in that particularly badass monastery, so I tossed the idea. Would've been interesting though, with her being a bit obsessed with the power of her Changeling blood.

Offline Elven Sex Goddess

• All doorways lead to adventure.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • "Imagination is the fruit of sensuality"
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:59 pm »
Delhasha the Pale

Personality:  Strong willed young woman.  Fierce prideful and dutiful.  Her word is her bond.  Trust though is earned in her eyes by deeds and not words.   For in deeds and actions can one see ones true measure of one's self.   With Delhasha is first met she may come off as a bit introverted as she takes a measure of said individual.   Once known and trusted,  she opens to a genial disposition.   

Background:  Delhasha the Pale is a young woman of the Seren Islands.   Through she is not native of the said islands.    Adopted from a young age of one years old.    The lone survivor of a ship that had gone off course and had run afoul of Seren raiders upon the sea.   Taken and raised among the Seren tribe; 'The Frostblades were founded by a lawful good white dragon. While they ruthlessly defend the land from outsiders, they also seek to preserve weaker tribes from the depredations of more violent clans such as the Bringers of Fire. Frostblade dragonspeakers know the secret of alchemist's frost and sometimes use this as a weapon in battle.'

She stands out in Seren society as most Seren's are of dark skin.   Delhasha is tall beauty with pale blonde hair and pale pink skin.   As Serens do not have last names in their cultures.    She is known as Delhasha the Pale.   Raised as a native born Seren.  Delhasha speaks only Draconic.   She is in every way a Seren except by birth.   

Delhasha is of strong sturdy physical abilities.   She has become a stout barbarian warrior of the clans.   She has heirlooms that were her real father's a spear, longsword, shield and helmet. Which the the warrior and his mate that raised her would give to her when she came of age to partake in battles.   

Life seem set,  looking forward to a life with finding a mate among the tribe.  Several suitors from her to choose.    Already having gone on serveral raiding expeditions.    When tragedy would over take the raiding party and the Seren longboat would be broken apart as it is tossed around.    Delhasha survives and ends up on the continent of her birth.    She has been a month on the continent now and has made her way to where the others are.   Her heart thou longs to one day return to her people the Seren and her tribe.   May the great white dragon watch over her.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:06:44 am by Elven Sex Goddess »

Offline Thorne

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 12:40:28 am »
Alright. As promised, one rogue.

Cinnabar Umbrae
Female daemon-spawn tiefling (Breland) rogue (unchained) 1
CN Medium outsider (native)

Wearing out your welcome in too many towns to count does tend to get a girl to take chances. Maybe this time she can get it right.

Cinnabar is a tall, lithe specimen, a little too thin for her height and build, but generally fit and, despite appearances to the contrary, quite healthy. In normal light, she appears more or less normal, other than the tail that coils around about ... well, everything. Turn the lights out, and she fades into the shadows easily enough.. all but her eyes, which show up with a faint, eerie yellow glow.

Crunchy sheet
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft., see in darkness; Perception +3
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +4 Dex)
hp 9 (1d8+1)
Fort +0, Ref +6, Will -1
Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee punching dagger +4 (1d4+2/×3)
Ranged shortbow +4 (1d6/×3)
Special Attacks sneak attack (unchained) +1d6
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 15, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 12
Base Atk +0.75; CMB +2; CMD 16
Feats Grasping Tail[ARG], Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +6, Bluff +5, Climb +4, Craft (mapmaking) +6, Diplomacy +5, Disable Device +9, Disguise +5, Knowledge (local) +6, Perception +3, Sense Motive +3, Sleight of Hand +8, Stealth +6; Racial Modifiers +2 Disable Device, +2 Sleight of Hand
Languages Common, Goblin, Halfling, Infernal
SQ prehensile tail, trapfinding +1

Gear
Equipped: chain shirt, belt pouch, masterwork backpack [APG], punching dagger, hip flask[UE], waterskin.
Carried
Quiver: arrows (20), shortbow
Backpack : bedroll, chalk (10), identification papers, standard, mess kit[UE], mirror, pot, silk rope (50 ft.), soap,  torch (5), trail rations (5),
Belt Pouch: 5 cp, flint and steel, thieves' tools,
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Energy Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Cold attacks.
Energy Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Energy Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Fire attacks.
Grasping Tail Your tail can retrieve small objects on your person as a swift action.
Prehensile Tail Your tail can retrieve small objects on your person as a swift action.
See in Darkness See perfectly in darkness of any kind, including magical darkness.
Sneak Attack (Unchained) +1d6 Attacks deal extra dam if flank foe or if foe is flat-footed.
Trapfinding +1 Gain a bonus to find or disable traps, including magical ones.
--------------------

(Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of Fiends 19, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 264, Pathfinder Unchained 20)

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

Offline TFcommando

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 12:47:04 am »
I combined the two ideas, a human Elemental Air Sorceress with the Mark of Storm from House Lysander or a cadet branch who was maintaining the elemental ring during the war... the close contact with it might by why she's a sorceress... the power erupting in some crisis, or after the war.  Tired of being confined and channeled into a narrow role, she's adventuring under an assumed name, working out all her pent-up urges.

My question is: What Pathfinder Dragonmark rules are in use, and where are they?  Is it a feat, a trait, a background detail?

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2016, 01:09:02 am »
I combined the two ideas, a human Elemental Air Sorceress with the Mark of Storm from House Lysander or a cadet branch who was maintaining the elemental ring during the war... the close contact with it might by why she's a sorceress... the power erupting in some crisis, or after the war.  Tired of being confined and channeled into a narrow role, she's adventuring under an assumed name, working out all her pent-up urges.

My question is: What Pathfinder Dragonmark rules are in use, and where are they?  Is it a feat, a trait, a background detail?

Just like as you find in the Eberron Campaign Setting; they're still feats, and function as written. Like I said, I'm allowing the use of Eberron sourcebooks as a source  :-) Do keep in mind that any skill prerequisites are three lower than those listed in 3.5.

The only alterations I've made is to what races can get what marks

• Any humanoid can have a functioning Aberrant mark
• There's a bit of "blending" - Half-elves can have human or elf Dragonmarks, half-orcs can have any human dragonmark, humans and Elves can have half-elven dragonmarks, and orcs can have the Mark of Finding.
• Racial prerequisites go by subtype - a Drow counts as an elf for the Mark of Shadow (or Mark of Storms, for that matter) while a Svirfneblin counts as a gnome for the Mark of Scribing, etc.
• Other races can have the appearance of a standard dragonmark, though it doesn't actually function as a dragonmark, it's just a really intricate birthmark or whatever.

Offline CarnivalOfTheGoat

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2016, 06:04:15 am »
It's 4AM, I'm staring sleepily at Pathfinder books trying to figure out a reasonably optimal way to do my halfling dino-rider...

And thank to Chulanowa my half-awake brain keeps considering what sorts of hilarity could be achieved by putting "Three kobolds in a big coat" up on the seeking solo roleplay forum.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 06:28:06 am »
Books? Really Carny, it's 2016, we have resources beyond embalmed and tattooed tree corpses.

Offline firepyre

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 06:53:57 am »
It's 4AM, I'm staring sleepily at Pathfinder books trying to figure out a reasonably optimal way to do my halfling dino-rider...

And thank to Chulanowa my half-awake brain keeps considering what sorts of hilarity could be achieved by putting "Three kobolds in a big coat" up on the seeking solo roleplay forum.

Anything involving a lance and spirited charge? 3x damage charges is pretty crazy. The cavalier has a charging specialized archetype... the Gendarme, I think. Maybe a mounted caster of some kind? Either a druid, or a sorcerer(sylvan bloodline) can get one pretty easy. There's a feat path too, if you'd rather play something else.

I'd just make the character and then build something to fit. Optimization isn't really terribly important when you only have 10hp

Offline Silver Phoenix

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 08:53:35 am »
Eventually went with something completely different; was spending way too long on the Kalashtar idea.  Instead, I went ahead and made a Android Magus (originally going to be an unchain monk before I saw there was already one such concept);  I'll take it as a sign that as soon as I went picture hunting for a portrait, I found one I felt was suitable :P

SERAPH XIII (W.I.P.)

Race: Male Android
Age: 2 since awakened (early 20's appearance); Height: 5' 10"

Personality: Seraph has an inquisitive nature befitting his agile mind.  His time among mercenaries, however, has not left him with many social graces and he tends to be somewhat blunt in his interactions with others, more often than not, avoiding conversation altogether.  When he does talk, it is mostly of factual and quantitative matters.  At his core, Seraph is a sensate, and wants to experience the world and everything it has to offer.

Physical: Seraph has the appearance of well-built, athletic young man.  Whilst his features are general handsome in an elfin sort of way, there does appear to be something slightly off about his appearance, almost bordering on artificial - as though every aspect of his appearance was an act of design and deliberation rather than natural growth - a person of exact measurements and matching symmetry.  Numerous blue tattoos cover him intermittently from head to toe; azure and seemingly metallic in hue.

Background: The first memory Seraph has is of a tugging sensation in his hand and taking a swipe at a wide eyed man who suddenly leaped back.  For whatever reason, he had been standing naked and insensate in the middle of a wasteland surrounded by corpses of all kinds, a black sword gripped tightly in hand.  A band of passing mercenaries, skirting the edges of the Mournland had discovered him, but had little idea of what to make of him - he had apparently not responded to anything they did until they tried to pry the blade from his hand.  Before his bewilderment could get the better of him, the leader of the group came forward and managed to settle things down, inviting him to join her group.

For the two years after, his employment was less mercenary and more that of a sex toy - the leader had correctly identified him as an android and, with functional parts, but sterile, he proved useful for her purposes despite being an oddity.  Whilst he learned some of the ways of the sword, he was usually confined to the her tent, where he spent much of his time riffling through her spell books from which he began to pick up on her craft.  Whilst it was an almost luxurious existence, it didn't not prove a satisfying one as Seraph began to seek answers of himself - such as his name and the number tattooed under his neck; why was he found in the place he was; was he the last of his kind; what role, if any, had he had in this war that had just so recently ended?  The answers to these and many other questions weren't about to be found among the mercenaries, the pavilion, or between the silk sheets of his employer.

After a particularly exhaustive night, Seraph left his employer curled up in sleep on her bed, leaving a single blue rose she had once favourably compared to the colour of the tattoo-circuitry on his body.  Picking up a backpack he had prepared over several weeks, he walked out of camp on pretext of going to pick up a few things for captain in the nearby town they had settled near.  Seraph has not looked back since.

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 12:09:03 pm »
Took me a second to figure out you went Kensai  :-) Just one thing; Weapon finesse doesn't work with a katana.

Offline Silver Phoenix

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 12:55:30 pm »
Oh right!  Forgot to take away the Dex bonus from an earlier build I was working on.  Eventually will be going for Slashing Grace.  My bad.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »
Books? Really Carny, it's 2016, we have resources beyond embalmed and tattooed tree corpses.

Ppffft. See, this is why I use Hero Labs. :p

(not that the Archives aren't a good source).

Offline Arsene

• Nightmare Twink
  • Liege
  • Bacchae
  • Location: One foot in the grave, the other in a Hello Kitty roller skate
  • Any pronouns are fine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 10:52:59 pm »
I updated Finn's post with a sketch and more about his personality. I'm loving seeing everyone else's characters so far, such great ideas all around!