You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

July 20, 2018, 01:40:06 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Building a Pokemon RP Setting.  (Read 952 times)

Offline Laughing HyenaTopic starter

Building a Pokemon RP Setting.
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
Anyone mind giving me a second opinion on a premise I am writing up for a future forum RP? Im in the midst of making a Team for an RP called Team Splicer. Basically they are a criminal organization doing illegal experiments on both people and pokemon in order to line their pockets via trading exotic pets and make a forced jump in evolution as their ultimate goal. To keep with the usual creed of changing the world or resetting the world. I was thinking of placing this team in Unova or Kalos region. If in Unova it gives Team Plasma another chance to be involved in the story as an opposing force since the original Team Plasma was about liberation of Pokemon. I imagine they would take exception to it..

Too much and keep the experimental pokemorph slave trading angle out? Or perhaps to use a more established team (like Team Cipher) for such a rather different setup?

Just looking for feedback before I commit.

Side note is I am already working on NPCs and character to outfit the teams in terms of Pokemon line up, positions and why they are there. Whether they truly believe in the team, or are opportunists looking for an excuse to do whatever they want from a position of power, or are looking to bring out potential in pokemon, etc etc. So if someone can point em in a good direction for depictions of pokemon characters or outright fan art Im more for it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:37:12 PM by Laughing Hyena »

Offline Nastara

Re: Building a Pokemon RP Setting.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
I think a big part of this is what kind of game you're looking to play!  I think this works rather nicely to allow players to be either players or pokemorphs, if that's what you're going for!  I /assume/ and I may be wrong here, that your plan is for the players to take on Team Splicer, though I suppose working for/as them could also be an experience!

It seems to me that actually what I'd cut is maybe the Team Plasma angle (unless players were explicitly playing that group) simply because it makes for a third prong of attack from the VERY start.  It could be a great thing to bring in as a twist mid-game though!

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
Im not going to force it but yes the idea is that Team Splicer is going to be a big obstacle the player characters may have to deal with. Even if they just decide to stick with the tradition of becoming Champion in the Pokemon League they will still have them as an enemy that is seen kidnapping, robbing and so forth. The reason being is  that the Pokemon League is struggling under a two pronged attack as the illicit activities have made Underground Pokemon Battles more popular thus splitting their efforts.

In short things are already bad in the Region.

As for how the characters start, I was wanting people to start as people and if they got in a bad spot, (via kidnapping, captured, blacking out) possibly being used as an experiment rather than starting right out of the gate but I could make a small exception (mostly for the escapee slave angle). People could start as a Pokemon Ranger or such if they wanted to get involved right out of the gate. Or they can go with the classic trainer starting off and ready to take on the League. Or a Student from a Pokemon Academy in their senior year whom hears about the Underground League. Basically the players much like Skyrim decide what they wish to do.

I have an outline on what the Team and the Underground League will be doing as a kind of Radiant System. So even if the players don't get involved the repercussions will still occur.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:06:12 PM by Laughing Hyena »

Offline FarFetched

• Sexy Primary Title                                     Crafty Secondary Title
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Never Limit Your Creativity.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
Ironically, there's actually a very esoteric manga called Pokémon RéBURST that might interest you. It's an entire manga set in the Pokémon universe, involving characters who actually fuse with their pokémon. It is... a pretty run-of-the-mill Shounen Manga. I wouldn't even call it 'good', really. However! It might give you some ideas for your story.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:48:44 PM by FarFetched »

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
Not exactly what I was expecting but it isn't what I was planning to be honest. Not a fusion dance but say science gone exceptionally twisted. I was thinking Pokemon spliced with human DNA concerning the sinister team rather than humans being turned into Pokemon. I have a few good ideas swimming in my head but they need to just be more fleshed out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:12:11 PM by Laughing Hyena »

Offline LSWSjr

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 05:02:10 AM »
I'm also soon to start a campaign which has a similar idea, with people being turned into Pokémon as a final solution of ending human and Pokémon violence.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=259607.0

You're welcome to sit in on the game once it gets going :)

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr