Champions / Fantasy Hero / Hero System

Started by quozax, November 04, 2016, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quozax

This question is for interest in any potential Champions / Fantasy Hero / or other Hero Game system games. 

Champions is a role playing game that started in the 80s. 

It was followed by Champions II and Champions III, as well as Fantasy Hero

I've never seen the fourth Edition, but after quite a while, there was a 5th Edition.

And within the last few years, the did a full overhaul and updated it with a 6th (and current) edition

My question is; Are there any Hero System fans out there? 
What is your favorite edition?
What is your favorite genre?

This will help me to determine if this is viable for a potential role playing game here on elliquiy.

Muse

I've enjoyed this game in the past.  I couldn't run it any time soon, but I'd love to play.  My favorite editions are the most recent two. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

quozax

Thank you for replying.   I must say,  I  was expecting a slightly larger feedback. 

I prefer the 6th edition over 5th.  But I can play either.

And I probably wouldn't put anything together without at least 3 players.

TFcommando

I'm a big HERO fan from way back and gratified to see others interested in it.  The lighter systems are often favored for system PbP, or else Pathfinder.  I like superheroes of a variety of types, but also would enjoy doing some pulp action in the 30s or 40s, ala Justice, Inc.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

quozax

Quote from: TFcommando on November 07, 2016, 08:47:46 PM
I'm a big HERO fan from way back and gratified to see others interested in it.  The lighter systems are often favored for system PbP, or else Pathfinder.  I like superheroes of a variety of types, but also would enjoy doing some pulp action in the 30s or 40s, ala Justice, Inc.

I haven't heard of Justice inc. in ages.  I do have a copy of Pulp Hero around somewhere. 

And, I have never played a Pathfinder book (sad to say).  I do wish I had invested in learning other books besides Hero Games books. 

But, if Hero Games is a 'lighter system', I fear what Pathfinder entails.

Sally Aces

I'd be into trying my hand at this. Especially a pulp/film noire setting like in the Spirit or Sin City. I SO want to play a femme fatale  >:)

TFcommando

Quote from: quozax on November 07, 2016, 09:16:31 PM
I haven't heard of Justice inc. in ages.  I do have a copy of Pulp Hero around somewhere. 

And, I have never played a Pathfinder book (sad to say).  I do wish I had invested in learning other books besides Hero Games books. 

But, if Hero Games is a 'lighter system', I fear what Pathfinder entails.

Pathfinder was a spinoff of D&D third edition and 3.5, a system where the designers wanted "trap" options that were objectively worse than others.  Its class and level based with a huge variety of feats, sub-classes and optional materials with wildly disparate power levels on build options... plus ongoing errata and power balancing.  It's about as far from "light" as you can get, but there's a lot of action for it here.

Pulp-wise, I've wanted to do something in the vein of Atomic Robo and the Flying She-Devils of the Pacific, heroic or mercenary air aces battling evil in the skies!  I've also been inspired by the image of the main character from Wandering Island. 

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

quozax

Quote from: TFcommando on November 07, 2016, 11:19:54 PM
Pathfinder was a spinoff of D&D third edition and 3.5, a system where the designers wanted "trap" options that were objectively worse than others.  Its class and level based with a huge variety of feats, sub-classes and optional materials with wildly disparate power levels on build options... plus ongoing errata and power balancing.  It's about as far from "light" as you can get, but there's a lot of action for it here.

Pulp-wise, I've wanted to do something in the vein of Atomic Robo and the Flying She-Devils of the Pacific, heroic or mercenary air aces battling evil in the skies!  I've also been inspired by the image of the main character from Wandering Island. 

I have never read those comic books (or even played a Pulp game).  The only exposure to pulp have been movies like Indiana Jones.  But it would be something that no one else is trying out there.  I don't see any pulp genre games out at all. 

You always have Nazis trying to find mystical items in pulp so you never run out of bad guys.  If I made a new game (Champions, Pulp, or otherwise) it would be high in the plot department and lower on the smut side. 

TFcommando

Here are a couple of pulp-period Atomic Robo stories, up on the creator's website for free:

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v5ch1-cover

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v7ch1-cover

There's a fair amount of pulp games out... besides Pulp Hero, there's Thrilling Tales, Hollow Earth Expedition, Spirit of the Century, Deadlands Noir, even Atomic Robo has its own RPG, and that's just off the top of my head.

It's a big, wide genre, so it can take some planning to make sure everyone is on the same page.  It can be hard (but not impossible) to put a hard-boiled PI, the lord of the jungle raised by apes and a guy with a rocket pack in the same adventure.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

quozax

Quote from: TFcommando on November 08, 2016, 11:57:20 AM
Here are a couple of pulp-period Atomic Robo stories, up on the creator's website for free:

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v5ch1-cover

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v7ch1-cover

There's a fair amount of pulp games out... besides Pulp Hero, there's Thrilling Tales, Hollow Earth Expedition, Spirit of the Century, Deadlands Noir, even Atomic Robo has its own RPG, and that's just off the top of my head.

It's a big, wide genre, so it can take some planning to make sure everyone is on the same page.  It can be hard (but not impossible) to put a hard-boiled PI, the lord of the jungle raised by apes and a guy with a rocket pack in the same adventure.

Ok, that sounds like a fun game group.   I may have to see how much interest there is in such a genre

quozax

I forgot to answer the question about mystical abilities. 

I know The Shadow could warp the minds of men and that some of the bad guys will be able to... SPOILERS!...  but I was hoping a little more grounded individuals.  But if the power is somewhat weak and very Pulp-like, I will allow it.  But it will have to be paid with part of your 150 points and will have to be approved by me.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yes some of the bad guys may have Pulp-like super powers.  But they will be the main villain of that story arc.  Much like the main villain in the second Indiana Jones movie.