You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 02:45:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: My Journey To Become A Psychologist :)  (Read 557 times)

Offline BlueDragonitess87Topic starter

• Sexy elf Mage...insatiable with lust...come try to tame me...if you dare...
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • Expert Roleplayer of 10 Years...You Do The Math ;)
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
My Journey To Become A Psychologist :)
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »
Hello. Thought I'd introduce myself in my opening post. I'm Angela. I enjoyed psychology the first time I took it with the American School about 10 years ago. However, I didn't finish my highschool education. I am finishing now, with Penn Foster High School. I plan to get a degree in Child Psychology with them. I want to make it my career. I would enjoy working with children. The first time around that I took Psychology, I got 100% for the whole course. I'm to take it again near the end of my hs diploma course, and I'm eager to recall what I've forgotten. I have memory issues. It's hard for me to remember things that happened long ago.

I have schizoaffective disorder. That's a mix of bipolar and schizophrenia. I am also a type 2 diabetic.

I joined here to learn more about psychology in the meantime, while I'm waiting to retake it and then get my degree.

I'm very passionate about learning. I want to be really good at being a psychiatrist. I want to help children. That's my goal.

I think I'll love it here.

Thanks for reading. 😊

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
Re: My Journey To Become A Psychologist :)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:59:47 PM »
So, I read up on the Child Psychology Degree with Penn Foster. It wouldn't be the equivalent of a degree, more like a certificate.

So, I'm looking into colleges with a Bachelor's of Science program, majoring in Child Development under the subject of Psychology.

Right now, I'm looking at Walden University. It's an online school. I will get more information soon. In the meantime, I'm working towards my HS Diploma, with hopes to graduate before 2019.

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
Downloaded a Psychology app. Going to write down the definitions and study while I am out, and while at home. I'm eager to learn all I can.

Offline Mintprincess

• Addiction Personified * Full of WINCEST * Baby Spice Gem
  • Lady Mentor
  • Addict
  • Always and In All Ways
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »
I think this is great! I'm worried a member of my extended family may have inherited bipolar disorder, so I would love to follow your blog as you discuss that with your schooling and learning hat! (And probably experience as well)

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
I think this is great! I'm worried a member of my extended family may have inherited bipolar disorder, so I would love to follow your blog as you discuss that with your schooling and learning hat! (And probably experience as well)

Bipolar disorder runs in my family. It's like they have mood swings, highs and lows, periods of depression and other times where they are impulsive, making irrational decisions. Stuff like that.

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
My depression has gotten to a point where I find the need to cry to feel better. It's a great coping mechanism. I find that rather than holding all of the feelings in, it's so much better to have a healthy release of tears. That way, I'm not screaming my feelings, which I have done. It's more soothing and calming to cry. Seems like it wouldn't be described as that, but for me, it helps.

Right now I'm focusing on getting my HS Diploma. Towards the end of my program is a Psychology course that I'm very much looking forward to.

I've been attending church in my city with my Mom and brother. That's one thing that keeps me grounded. I'm growing in my faith, and I'm enjoying the journey of learning more about myself as a Christian. I've began opening up to people more, talking with more people rather than staying reserved. I've really come out of my shell.

I seriously need to find some time to study the psychology terms on my app on my phone. Going to start doing that on Tuesdays, when I'm not so busy. I've seriously thought about my career, and the direction I want it to take. Child Psychology seems like a very interesting field. I'm passionate about learning it. Which means I need to apply myself. Will work on that this week.

I've also made a choice to get a driver's license. I will be studying the driver's manual as well. So, that's a busy schedule. Going to prioritize and make sure I'm rewarding myself with reading, gaming, etc.

I'm very excited about all of these prospects, and am loving the journey of my life's current path. I can only thank God for all of these wonderful opportunities and I will always keep Him in my heart.

Offline Sofia Grace

• Nerdy, dirty, inked and curvy|The Max Black to BeMy's Caroline Channing|Ginger Spice Gem
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • My neck is open wide, begging for a fist around it
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »
Hey, BlueDragonitess87!  I wanted to drop in and wish you the best of luck in your journey.  The field of psychology is such an awesome field to get into!  I'm a psychotherapist myself - I have a Master's Degree in Social Work.  I played around with the idea of going back for my PsyD, but as of right now I'm holding off.  Let me know if you have any questions along the way -- I'd be happy to try to help if I can!

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
Hey, BlueDragonitess87!  I wanted to drop in and wish you the best of luck in your journey.  The field of psychology is such an awesome field to get into!  I'm a psychotherapist myself - I have a Master's Degree in Social Work.  I played around with the idea of going back for my PsyD, but as of right now I'm holding off.  Let me know if you have any questions along the way -- I'd be happy to try to help if I can!

Do you know what type of degrees I need to work with kids? Would I have to make my own practice or could I join someone else's office?

Offline Sofia Grace

• Nerdy, dirty, inked and curvy|The Max Black to BeMy's Caroline Channing|Ginger Spice Gem
  • Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »
It depends on what capacity you want to work with kids in.  Psychologist are mainly responsible for diagnosing and testing, when it comes to kids.  They do psychotherapy as well, but oftentimes psychologists aren't covered by insurances and so it's more difficult for parents to pay.  Psychologists do make bank, though, once established.  Psychologist aren't typically able to prescribe medicine, while psychiatrists are (that's the main difference).  Psychologist focus more on studying children while psychiatrists are more focused on the therapy piece.

That being said, you can technically work with kids with as little as a Master's Degree.  If I wanted to do child therapy, I could with my Masters in Social Work, so long as I got my license in the state I live in.  If I had a Master's degree in Marriage and Family Therapy I could also obtain a license to practice therapy with kids.  Same with a Master's degree in Counseling.  You can get licensed to practice with pretty much any master's-level degree in the psychology field.

If you wanted to go the full-blown psychologist route anyway, you'll need your undergraduate degree plus a masters/doctorate in psychology (total 10-16 years of schooling depending on how long it takes you to complete each degree).  If you want to do research-based work, a PhD is the way to go, while if you're more interested in clinical psychology (being a therapist), a PsyD is usually the route people take.  Technically, you can work with kids with both.

All in all, what dictates all of the above is what your goals are and if you're willing to commit to a longer period of schooling.  I can always elaborate more based on what your more specific goals are.  :P

As a psychotherapist (whether you choose to be a master's-level clinician or a psychologist/psychiatrist), you have the option of working at a clinic (such as a hospital, mental health clinic, etc.), joining up with other psychotherapists and starting a private practice (which usually comes with time, once you build a client base) or starting your own private practice independently.  More often than not, people will work for a clinic until they build up a client base and then work towards branching off to a smaller group of therapists or opening their own individual practice.  There are pros and cons to both, and again, I can elaborate more based on what you're concerns/questions are!

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
It depends on what capacity you want to work with kids in.  Psychologist are mainly responsible for diagnosing and testing, when it comes to kids.  They do psychotherapy as well, but oftentimes psychologists aren't covered by insurances and so it's more difficult for parents to pay.  Psychologists do make bank, though, once established.  Psychologist aren't typically able to prescribe medicine, while psychiatrists are (that's the main difference).  Psychologist focus more on studying children while psychiatrists are more focused on the therapy piece.

That being said, you can technically work with kids with as little as a Master's Degree.  If I wanted to do child therapy, I could with my Masters in Social Work, so long as I got my license in the state I live in.  If I had a Master's degree in Marriage and Family Therapy I could also obtain a license to practice therapy with kids.  Same with a Master's degree in Counseling.  You can get licensed to practice with pretty much any master's-level degree in the psychology field.

If you wanted to go the full-blown psychologist route anyway, you'll need your undergraduate degree plus a masters/doctorate in psychology (total 10-16 years of schooling depending on how long it takes you to complete each degree).  If you want to do research-based work, a PhD is the way to go, while if you're more interested in clinical psychology (being a therapist), a PsyD is usually the route people take.  Technically, you can work with kids with both.

All in all, what dictates all of the above is what your goals are and if you're willing to commit to a longer period of schooling.  I can always elaborate more based on what your more specific goals are.  :P

As a psychotherapist (whether you choose to be a master's-level clinician or a psychologist/psychiatrist), you have the option of working at a clinic (such as a hospital, mental health clinic, etc.), joining up with other psychotherapists and starting a private practice (which usually comes with time, once you build a client base) or starting your own private practice independently.  More often than not, people will work for a clinic until they build up a client base and then work towards branching off to a smaller group of therapists or opening their own individual practice.  There are pros and cons to both, and again, I can elaborate more based on what you're concerns/questions are!

I think that I want to work in a hospital. I'm 29 years old right now. I'm wondering what kind of degree I can get in less than 10 years that would allow me to work with kids in a hospital, as like a counselor.

Offline Sofia Grace

• Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 10:46:40 PM »
In all honesty, your best bet is probably getting your MSW (Masters in Social Work).  That would mean a four year Bachelors degree and a one to two year Masters.  If you get your Bachelor of Social Work degree, you can do your Masters in Social Work in one year as an advanced standing student and get it done sooner.  If your undergraduate degree is in something else (psychology, sociology, etc.) it will take longer to get the Masters.

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
In all honesty, your best bet is probably getting your MSW (Masters in Social Work).  That would mean a four year Bachelors degree and a one to two year Masters.  If you get your Bachelor of Social Work degree, you can do your Masters in Social Work in one year as an advanced standing student and get it done sooner.  If your undergraduate degree is in something else (psychology, sociology, etc.) it will take longer to get the Masters.

With the Social Work one, could I become a counselor with those credentials?

Offline Sofia Grace

• Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
Yes. :)

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
Yes. :)

Awesome. That's great to hear. I appreciate all your help. :)

Offline Sofia Grace

• Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »
You got it!  Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck.   ;)

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
I'm in a time crunch. Skipping the HS diploma course with Penn Foster. Just going to go for my GED, and work on getting my driver's license. Still planning to get an Associate's Degree in Social Work.

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
I'm going to purchase a 2016 GED Study Guide, with practice questions, off of Amazon. I'm also going to buy bus tickets so I can go to a local college in my city and take free GED classes. Hoping to get it within the next 3-4 months. Wish me luck!

Offline Sofia Grace

• Lady Mentor
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
Best of luck!

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 06:47:42 AM »
Best of luck!

Thank you. I really appreciate that. :)

• Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »
I have an update. I've actually found a GED book on my library app. Been studying that. I'm hoping to get my GED within 6-8 months. Not sure how long it's going to take to prepare for it. I hope that I can succeed at this and move on to my plans for college courses. I'm very much looking forward to learning all I can about child psychology. I feel like it's my calling.