You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

April 20, 2018, 02:09:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Uplifting / Positive News Stories  (Read 10715 times)

Offline BlytheTopic starter

Uplifting / Positive News Stories
« on: September 23, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »
Just wanted to post something upbeat here in the PROC. I like to try to find positive stories to read about; I often get very emotionally worn out by sad things or things that make me angry. While I don't turn a blind eye to those things, I also would like to read more positive things in the news.

So here's a thread specifically about uplifting things in the news. Please share uplifting or positive stories you might have happened to stumble upon when perusing the news. They don't have to be big news--even something small is fine. :)

For me, some things I've read today:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:16:50 AM by Blythe »

Offline Anteros

Re: Uplifting / Positive News Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
It's nice to get reminders that not everything is bleak and horrible.  :-)

I found this reather uplifting:
Celebrate the Grand Opening of the Smithsonian NMAAHC http://www.craveonline.com/art/1122319-peoples-journey-across-america-finally-arrives-washington-mall

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 10:26:54 PM »
Police stopped a young man walking through a neighborhood an this is what happened.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/hot-topics/teen-who-walked-2-hours-to-work-given-bike-by-police-officers/449805907

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:26:35 PM by Blythe »

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
Not as current as it could be, but still, this is pretty awesome:

Sri-Lanka has been declared malaria-free!

Offline Mintprincess

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:07:09 PM »
Police stopped a young man walking through a neighborhood an this is what happened.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/hot-topics/teen-who-walked-2-hours-to-work-given-bike-by-police-officers/449805907
  Ok this just bought tears to my eyes.   More positive in the world!  We need it now :) <3

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
Nifty device helpin' babies with cerebral palsy to learn to crawl

I like stories where improved technology will result in improving lives. <3

Offline Ryven

• Keeper of Cowthulhu | Pure Awesomenesity
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • The night's pleasure follows in my footsteps
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:29 PM »

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 04:58:30 AM »
A small gesture, but a good one.

Liked this a lot! :-)

Read this today:
*coughs* Okay, this also made me laugh & is a bit of older news, but oh man, this tortoise. He certainly had a way with the lady tortoises. >_>

So uh, Diego, a 100 year old tortoise, saves his species from extinction. By having 800 offspring. Yes, 800.

Online Oniya

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Read this today:
*coughs* Okay, this also made me laugh & is a bit of older news, but oh man, this tortoise. He certainly had a way with the lady tortoises. >_>

So uh, Diego, a 100 year old tortoise, saves his species from extinction. By having 800 offspring. Yes, 800.

Turtles.  Gettin' down to biznass.

Offline Mithlomwen

• | ~ E's resident kilt inspector ~ | ~ Elven Goddess ~ | ~ Atropos ~ |
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • ~ Thunder only happens when it's raining.... ~
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »
I love this thread so much

Thank you for starting it Blythe. 

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:06:02 PM »
Yoshinori Ohsumi won Nobel medicine prize

Pioneered great work about autophagy, which'll hopefully unlock more information about a lot of serious diseases and therefore help people. So definitely something positive to read today.  :-)

Offline HannibalBarca

• Defiant General of Hopeless Causes * Henry Rollins for President campaigner * Mako-phile * Uncle Iroh in shades * Disciple of Dr. Cornel West * Roy Batty lives! *
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Location: At large, am tall. “Because you believed I was capable of behaving decently, I did.” -- Paulo Coelho
  • View My Rolls

Offline Anteros

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 06:27:51 AM »

Offline Anteros

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
Nigeria confirms release of 21 girls kidnapped in Chibok by Boko Haram: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-security-girls-idUSKCN12D102

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »

Offline HannibalBarca

• Defiant General of Hopeless Causes * Henry Rollins for President campaigner * Mako-phile * Uncle Iroh in shades * Disciple of Dr. Cornel West * Roy Batty lives! *
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Location: At large, am tall. “Because you believed I was capable of behaving decently, I did.” -- Paulo Coelho
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
Turkish-backed Syrian rebels recapture town of Dabiq from Isis

Dabiq is the city where ISIS believes the apocalyptic battle between them and unbelievers will occur, where they will win and take over the world.  They even named their national magazine after the city.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
https://www.thelocal.se/20161015/swedish-school-builds-gender-neutral-changing-room

Yay! Wonderful to see that at least in some places progress is made. And as a post op transwoman i think this is a good solution. And it was nice to see that she got alot of support.

Offline Mithlomwen

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
http://shenandoahcountryq102.iheart.com/onair/Lori-31478/student-rescues-cheerleader-in-tears-because-15206587/#ixzz4NHzpNJBx

High school student carries young cheerleader off of the field when her father couldn't do it due to being stationed elsewhere. 

What an amazing young man. 

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer | Dasha's skirted secretary
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »
This should have haoppened long ago, but it's a useful act anyway:

The house where Hitler was born in Braunau, Austria is set to be demolished - to avoid the occasional pilgrimages and cult activities of neo-Nazis on the spot.

I wonder if there was a "blue plaque" on that house during WW2.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline Anteros

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »

Offline Anteros

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 03:55:03 PM »
These Cops Left Standing Rock and Refuse to Return: http://theantimedia.org/cops-leave-standing-rock/

Offline Valerian

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
One little girl gets to give her hero a birthday cupcake.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline Mr. Vyce

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
While it isn't a news story per se, I think the below speech from Fred "Mr." Rogers fits the spirit of this thread and is something we should try to always remember when a disaster or tragic event occurs:

Online Oniya

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 07:07:29 PM »
I shared that very same video at our last PTO meeting, when one of the parents was talking about the stress that the election was causing to her kids.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:05 AM »

Offline Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 02:28:42 AM »
Not so much a news story, but rather a short documentary clip I found on the BBC that I think is worth sharing. Otherwise useless nuts in East Africa are being used to produce biofuel, high-protein animal feed, and fertilizer - all at the same time. I am no expert in biofuels or agriculture, but the potential for local farmers and communities really impressed me.

http://www.bbc.com/specialfeatures/horizonsbusiness/seriessix/powering-africa/?vid=p04dv369
Also see Wikipedia.

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
Good finds, Cassandra LeMay and Mr Vyce!  :D

Nifty thing that I think counts as good news: Transgenic grass is good at pulling toxins like RDX out of soil...and could be used to clean up millions of acres of land!

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
2,000 US veterans plan to form a human shield/chain around the North Dakota Pipeline protestors, standing between them and the police.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/veterans-to-serve-as-%e2%80%98human-shields%e2%80%99-for-dakota-pipeline-protesters/ar-AAkTOnE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Offline Mintprincess

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • Will I ever be more than I've always been?
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
Henna crowns for chemo patients

I might have teared up  :'( but in the good way.

"For a little bit, people don't see that it's because I'm sick. They see art. And it doesn't look like just a bald head or any of that. It's pretty,”

Offline Aiden

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/12/08/comic-book-clerk-helps-queer-teen-after-supergirl-with-act-of-kindness/

Well the link title say it all. Clerk helps a young girl who is struggling with her sexuality. Rather heartwarming to read.

Offline Mithlomwen

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls

Offline Anteros

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »

Offline Anteros

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 07:38:44 PM »

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »
Just wanted to post to say that people sharing good and uplifting news here is still definitely making me smile. Thank you all! (And keep it up!  ;D  )

Offline Anteros

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:35 PM »
http://www.littlethings.com/homecoming-dance-surprise/?utm_source=ggnvet&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=shocking

Boy with Downs Syndrome is rejected by all the girls for the dance, but one stranger steps in to take him. So he ends up going to the dance in a Rolls and everything :) I will admit to crying a tad, I mean due to the invisible ninjas cutting onions.. nothing else.. *cries more*

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
Just wanted to say that reading the uplifting new posted here tends to really make my day--thanks for those posts, Anteros, Sara, and Mr. Vyce. ^^

94 year old woman graduates college with a 4.0 GPA!

I love stories like the one above. Sometimes I worry that I am not doing enough with my life and that it'll be too late...but stories like this remind me that just because I can't do something I want to do right now (like get my Master's degree), doesn't mean I won't be able to later!

Cynthia Suwito knits with ramen noodles

It might see a bit odd to put the above in the 'good news' section, but I love seeing neat and unorthodox approaches to art. For me, it's incredibly uplifting to see someone take something that I take for granted, like ramen noodles, and do something with it that I'd never expect.

Scientists reverse some aging in mice

The implications of this are mind-bogglingly interesting. I know anything that would be about humans is obviously a long ways off, but this was breathtaking to realize science has pushed this far.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:37:28 PM by Blythe »

Online Oniya

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
Cynthia Suwito knits with ramen noodles

It might see a bit odd to put the above in the 'good news' section, but I love seeing neat and unorthodox approaches to art. For me, it's incredibly uplifting to see someone take something that I take for granted, like ramen noodles, and do something with it that I'd never expect.

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 02:18:09 AM »
Teacher providing education for poor kids in India...under a bridge! For the past seven years!

For me, this makes me smile. I know that for many out there in the world, good education is still hard to find, and to see it spring up--a school under a bridge--feels like a testament not just to the kindness of the teacher and the people who donate to the school, but to the children's desire to learn.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
http://www.thelocal.se/20170128/sweden-stops-calling-trans-people-mentally-ill

Sweden is FINALLY going to stop calling trans people mentally ill. This is pretty big for trans people, as the whole mentally ill brings with it quite a bit of trouble in dealing health personnel that are not perhaps used to or very knowledgeable about trans.

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »

Offline Mr. Vyce

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
Chris Salvatore invites his ailing neighbor to come stay with him

I just really like seeing stories where a neighbor steps up that way, where people look out for each other; Salvatore is described as like a grandson to her, and he helps care for her. It was really very heart-warming to read about.

Offline Verasaille

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
It didn't make the news, but I encountered an interesting event. I was driving home from a table top game when I ran into a rather messy four car wreck here in Jax. Nothing fatal but messy, two of the cars aren't going anywhere again. The reason it stands out is while I was driving up I had the radio on and one of the shows had this 'Florida Man' feature. Basically the show runs the worst of the worst of red necks and such..

I know a lot of folks who are 'red necks' that don't fit the mold. Like the neighbors of a friend who formed up around him on 9/11. They showed up with grills and chicken and ice tea to make sure THEIR Hindu neighbor wasn't mistakenly attack. My friend came home to find a literal horde of folks in t-shirts and jeans talking about how to do the chicken on the girl.

What I saw on that night was as cool. There was one guy in a wifebeater, shorts and flip flops directing the flow of traffic around one crashed car. Why was he in a wife beater? His wife was using his flannel shirt to wife the blood off the brow of the woman in the car while holding her hand and reassuring her that it would be alright. On the other lane was a two bikers (one white and the other black) directing traffic between the cars on the other side while a woman in biker leathers was on the phone with 9/11.

Why don't more of THESE stories make the news?

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »
It didn't make the news, but I encountered an interesting event. I was driving home from a table top game when I ran into a rather messy four car wreck here in Jax. Nothing fatal but messy, two of the cars aren't going anywhere again. The reason it stands out is while I was driving up I had the radio on and one of the shows had this 'Florida Man' feature. Basically the show runs the worst of the worst of red necks and such..

I know a lot of folks who are 'red necks' that don't fit the mold. Like the neighbors of a friend who formed up around him on 9/11. They showed up with grills and chicken and ice tea to make sure THEIR Hindu neighbor wasn't mistakenly attack. My friend came home to find a literal horde of folks in t-shirts and jeans talking about how to do the chicken on the girl.

What I saw on that night was as cool. There was one guy in a wifebeater, shorts and flip flops directing the flow of traffic around one crashed car. Why was he in a wife beater? His wife was using his flannel shirt to wife the blood off the brow of the woman in the car while holding her hand and reassuring her that it would be alright. On the other lane was a two bikers (one white and the other black) directing traffic between the cars on the other side while a woman in biker leathers was on the phone with 9/11.

Why don't more of THESE stories make the news?

Thank you for sharing this, Callie Del Noire. Personal uplifting stories that should make the news are absolutely welcome here. :) The goal of this thread is to give people something positive to read about, something different from the negativity that currently pervades the news, and your post does accomplish that. *nodnod*

Thought this might fit here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3d1oFwWcAAF4Cj.jpg

Thank you, Verasaille!  :-)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:01:19 PM by Blythe »

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2017, 10:13:08 PM »
Thank you for sharing this, Callie Del Noire. Personal uplifting stories that should make the news are absolutely welcome here. :) The goal of this thread is to give people something positive to read about, something different from the negativity that currently pervades the news, and your post does accomplish that. *nodnod*

Thanks I was falling into bad habits when I saw that lady just sitting by the car helping that other woman. I came home and found those toxic posts.. and made a decision to do my bit but work on more positive things.

Offline Trevino

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
Some good news in dark times; the LGBTQ crowd has organized a protest of their own at the Stonewall Inn: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5895faa2e4b09bd304bba329

And coming soon, the Scientist's March in April: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/april-22-empiricists-around-country-will-march-science

Offline midnightblack

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2017, 12:43:12 AM »

Nearly a week has past since they attempted to overthrow  the rule of law, and the bunch of communist morons that clawed its way into the government of my country still didn't get the point. Up above you can see me together with 300.000 citizens in front of the said government, turning the lights on to help them see better. 300.000 more were spread throughout cities, towns and villages all over the nation. The problem with communist bastards in general is that they never get it. They live in a parallel reality where notions like human dignity or respect for a set of moral values can never find place. My only hope is that their grime will one day find its place into the dustbin of history, while images such as the one above will endure far longer.

Offline Trevino

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »
Finally some good news on the internet privacy and electronic freedom front; Vizio to be fined for secretly spying on their customers: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_589962dee4b0c1284f27e534?

And a bill requiring a warrant for law enforcement to search old emails just passed the House: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-house-passes-bill-requiring-warrants-to-search-old-emails_us_5899db2ee4b0c1284f28190a

Offline Anteros

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
NFL more forceful about proposed Texas 'bathroom bill': http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18660658

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39037249

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center steps in to save premature baby hippo. Their expertise with the delicate veins on preemies seems to have saved the little baby rhino. I will admit to crying when hubby showed it to me :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/feb/22/premature-baby-hippo-saved-by-childrens-hospital-staff-video-report <-- has a video of her as well. Adorable!

Offline Anteros

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-39097813

Well not as much a story as something to make you smile :)

adorable pandas are adorable

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »
https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/839604439094710272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Patrick Stewart is fostering a pit bull. Really just made me smile--that pit bull's face is so happy looking. ^^

I suppose that it's not so much news per se, but it did make me smile, so....close enough!  ;D

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »

Pygmy baby hippo venturing out with mommy for a bath *heart melts*

Offline Valerian

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
I couldn't resist posting this sweet little story about a dog saved from a fire.   :D

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
This bug can eat plastic!

This was really uplifting & cool to read--maybe if scientists research more about the greater wax moth, there will be more strides in dealing with the environmental issue of plastic trash!  :-)

Offline HannibalBarca

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »
The 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are:

• ELO

• Joan Baez

• Journey

• Pearl Jam

• Tupac Shakur

• Yes

A worthy group of musicians!

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01:53 AM »
http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/student-creates-first-synthetic-retina-visually-impaired/

Bio-synthetic retinas! Very cool--very great news to see this sort of advance in technology/medical science, and I hope that these improve as more work and research is done. Would be great if this can be perfected for the visually impaired--current implants that have metal can be damaging, whereas these might be a lot better/healthier for a person.

Offline Sain

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2017, 04:26:51 AM »
http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/student-creates-first-synthetic-retina-visually-impaired/

Bio-synthetic retinas! Very cool--very great news to see this sort of advance in technology/medical science, and I hope that these improve as more work and research is done. Would be great if this can be perfected for the visually impaired--current implants that have metal can be damaging, whereas these might be a lot better/healthier for a person.

This is super cool indeed. Really promising that they are looking at patents commercialization options themselves too (from what I understand) since it would take much longer for some corporation to try and adapt the technology rather than the scientists themselves bringing it to markets.

e. :D What do you know the scientist behind that article you linked is actually guilty of writing a lot of breakdowns of feel good scientific breakthroughs down to layman level. I remember having seen the research paper on this one, but here is one of her blog posts of another really interesting discovery.

Scientists unveil a giant leap for anti-aging
Describing snippet: "This is the closest we are to a safe and effective anti-ageing drug that's perhaps only three to five years away from being on the market if the trials go well," says Sinclair, who maintains a lab at UNSW in Sydney.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:34:24 AM by Sain »

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls

Offline LordRod

• Lord of the Manse of Rod
  • Deverified
  • Enchanted
  • "...You will find me there, staring back at you."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »

Offline HannibalBarca

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »
Not so much a 'cure' but a potential neutralization of Parkinson's Disease

https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/05/10/1923245/microsofts-emma-watch-is-a-game-changer-for-people-with-parkinsons

This is huge in my family.  All three of my father's siblings died of Parkinson's--he was the only one who didn't develop it.  My cousins will be ecstatic over this, and I'm expecting they all know about already, but I'm going to let them know about it regardless!

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »
Not so much a 'cure' but a potential neutralization of Parkinson's Disease

https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/05/10/1923245/microsofts-emma-watch-is-a-game-changer-for-people-with-parkinsons

This is very wonderful--thank you for sharing this. :)

Offline Caela

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:34:19 PM by Caela »

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
Environmental group creates App to help average person collect data on bees to further research them and ensure their health/continue survival

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/environmental-group-seeks-to-create-buzz-around-bee-conservation/ar-BBBLlOr?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Do your part to keep our honey loving friends alive. ^_^

Online Oniya

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
I heard about a similar app for birders a few weeks ago on NPR. 

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/frontier-cancer-care-turning-blood-050309527.html

This was pretty cool, and I found it to be uplifting. This is a very new cancer treatment, and I hope that there is more research done on it. I think it's taking the right approach for treatment.

For me, it is always uplifting to see the strides made in medical science!

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
I never stop smiling at this man finding out he is going to be a grandfather--it came out a while back but I sometimes still watch it when I need to smile. He has lost his wife and really was hoping he could be a granddad, and then his daughter surprised him with the news that she was going to have a baby.

That granddad is the most adorable granddad. He just makes me wanna give him a hug, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2sM7tzILeE

Offline Captain Maltese

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/frontier-cancer-care-turning-blood-050309527.html

This was pretty cool, and I found it to be uplifting. This is a very new cancer treatment, and I hope that there is more research done on it. I think it's taking the right approach for treatment.

For me, it is always uplifting to see the strides made in medical science!

There was a story about this on the Norwegian TV news just the other day, about a woman with advanced cancer who was given this here in Norway. Since she had a rare gene defect that seem to be related to the therapy in a positive way the doctors gave immune therapy a shot. First injection, she was in a hospital bed where she'd been the last year or so. Now she walks into the doctor's office. Still not fully cured, but she isn't dying any more. It is clearly still a new and experimental treatment. But for some, it seems like it works.

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
Dad bikes 1,400 miles to hear deceased daughter's heartbeat on Father's Day

Not going to lie, the video makes me tear up a bit.

Offline Mithlomwen

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
I never stop smiling at this man finding out he is going to be a grandfather--it came out a while back but I sometimes still watch it when I need to smile. He has lost his wife and really was hoping he could be a granddad, and then his daughter surprised him with the news that she was going to have a baby.

That granddad is the most adorable granddad. He just makes me wanna give him a hug, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2sM7tzILeE

Oh my gosh....that was the sweetest things ever! 

Dad bikes 1,400 miles to hear deceased daughter's heartbeat on Father's Day

Not going to lie, the video makes me tear up a bit.

Ugh....I just cried.....

So so special. 

Offline Mr. Vyce

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
http://www.boredpanda.com/boy-write-note-buy-stuffed-panda-leon-ashworth/

Young boy writes a note on a box for a cute stuffed panda saying his mom can't afford it right now but next friday she will get paid so please don't buy the panda. And the staff sees it and decides to give him a nice present by pooling money and buying it for him. :) Just too adorable

Offline Mr. Vyce

Offline Mr. Vyce

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:13:33 PM by Mr. Vyce »

Offline Lustful Bride

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2017, 08:49:58 AM »
Vogue (U.S. edition) describes Scania as a bucolic summer idyll with lovely, romantic scenery, great restaurants, castles and spas,  and open spaces of greenery, hills and beach. That's in my neck of the woods... :D

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »
Vogue (U.S. edition) describes Scania as a bucolic summer idyll with lovely, romantic scenery, great restaurants, castles and spas,  and open spaces of greenery, hills and beach. That's in my neck of the woods... :D

As someone who grew up in Simrishamn, they are not wrong :)

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »
As someone who grew up in Simrishamn, they are not wrong :)

*high fives Sara* Was around close to Simrishamn only five days ago, the country around there does look very green and inviting. :)

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/breakthrough-device-heals-organs-skin-single-touch/

This is amazing. If it makes it to human trials and works, this would be beyond wonderful.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41336762

An airport has launched an appeal to reunite young passengers with hundreds of teddies left behind on their travels.

The lost property office at Glasgow Airport is overflowing with soft toys, with 21 left in the last three months.

Pictures of the lost toys are being shared by the airport on social media.

Staff said they knew children could be left "distraught" by losing a cuddly friend will also be introducing a "take care of my bear" tag.

The tags will be given to youngsters travelling with soft toys and will be marked with the owner's details.

As a lover of teddybears I can only say: yay go Glasgow Airport! I always loved my teddies and have most of them from when i was a small child and many many more these days. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose one when you are traveling. Thankfully Brumm was found after many hours of me crying.

Online Oniya

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
Staff said they knew children could be left "distraught" by losing a cuddly friend will also be introducing a "take care of my bear" tag.

(I want these to look like the Paddington tag)

Offline Lustful Bride

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2017, 04:32:48 AM »
NASA and its Russian counterpart Roscosmos agree to cooperate on setting up the first space station orbiting the moon. Essentially a lunar version of ISS, intended as a research lab for exploring the moon and a staging post for future efforts to land humans on the moon and on Mars. :) The project will be led primarily by NASA, but funded, manned and with technological input by both countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/27/russia-and-us-will-cooperate-to-build-moon-first-space-station

Just great to see this happen.

Offline Sain

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2017, 04:58:53 AM »
NASA and its Russian counterpart Roscosmos agree to cooperate on setting up the first space station orbiting the moon. Essentially a lunar version of ISS, intended as a research lab for exploring the moon and a staging post for future efforts to land humans on the moon and on Mars. :) The project will be led primarily by NASA, but funded, manned and with technological input by both countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/27/russia-and-us-will-cooperate-to-build-moon-first-space-station

Holy shit that is cool.

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »

So much awesome!

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:53:55 AM by Lustful Bride »

Offline Deamonbane

• “If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Oh, I don't get angry. I have people for that.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
Iceland just qualified for their first FIFA World Cup, after a historic run in the Euro Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_at_the_FIFA_World_Cup

Just... really proud for them.

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »
After 5 years in captivity, a US mother, Father, and their children have been released from Taliban imprisonment.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/militants-free-american-woman-and-family-held-for-5-years-in-afghanistan/ar-AAtl1xM?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »

Offline Mr. Vyce

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
Aaron Courtney, a 31-year-old high school African-American football coach in Gainesville, hugged a Nazi outside of Richard Spenser's speech on Thursday, asking "Why do you hate me?"

Citing the teachings of his father, who is a bishop, Courtney told the Daily News, “Something in me said, ‘You know what? He just needs love. Maybe he never met an African-American like this.”

And so he told the Nazi to give him a hug. And despite some initial resistance, Courtney said, “I reached over and the third time, he wrapped his arms around me, and I heard God whisper in my ear, ‘You changed his life.’”

The crowd around them immediately reacted and when Courtney pressed him again, asking “Why do you hate me?” Furniss finally answered, “I don’t know.”

"I believe that was his sincere answer. He really doesn’t know,” Courtney said.

After Furniss was ushered away by police, he took a photo with Courtney’s friend.

The 31-year-old said, “I honestly feel that was a step in the right direction, for him to take a picture with a guy that he hated when he woke up this morning.”

Offline Sain

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
Two of those kinds of news that make you believe in advance of mankind and hold tight on the seat as science about to take world on a spin.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-brain-implant-human-patients-memory.html

Brain implant tested in human patients found to improve memory recall
A team of researchers with the University of Southern California and the Wake Forest School of Medicine has conducted experiments involving implanting electrodes into the brains of human volunteers to see if doing so might improve memory recall. The group gave a presentation at this year's Society for Neuroscience meeting recently outlining the study and what they found.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-scientists-1st-gene-body.html

US scientists try first gene editing in the body
Scientists for the first time have tried editing a gene inside the body in a bold attempt to permanently change a person's DNA to try to cure a disease.

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/ingenious-device-can-detect-melanoma-chosen-dyson-top-design-2017/

This is pretty kickass. I hope they'll be able to pass FDA standards. :)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »

Offline Sain

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
That robot has just seriously made my day. That backflip:D

Thank you for finding and sharing that, Sain!

Online Oniya

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
That robot has just seriously made my day. That backflip:D

Thank you for finding and sharing that, Sain!

I started to scroll down to make my reply - but then I saw there were out-takes!

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:18 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42066014

Yeah the article is also a little sad but...

Basically autistic children will often not just have a favourite thing but that thing becomes really important. And when you lose that something it can be heartbreaking. Thelittlebluecup project (named after the kinda famous case where a mom desperately asked for a sippy cup that was no longer in production that was the only thing her child would drink out of) is helping parents and children find the thing they need. Such a sweet gesture.

Offline Lustful Bride

« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
Police Officer adopts the child of a drug addict to give it a good home.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/cop-adopts-homeless-addicts-newborn-baby/vi-BBG0mD6?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

This made me tear up a bit--was happy to see the officer do what he did. :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42066014

Yeah the article is also a little sad but...

Basically autistic children will often not just have a favourite thing but that thing becomes really important. And when you lose that something it can be heartbreaking. Thelittlebluecup project (named after the kinda famous case where a mom desperately asked for a sippy cup that was no longer in production that was the only thing her child would drink out of) is helping parents and children find the thing they need. Such a sweet gesture.

I've heard of programs/exchanges like this--what a lovely thing to do for people with autistic children. <3

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/scientists-successfully-breed-sections-barrier-reef-back-health/

I hope they will be able to restore more of the reef or maybe even other damaged places. <3

Offline Mithlomwen

• Goddess
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2017, 05:17:26 AM »
With the horrible news of the fires in California, there's this video clip:

Man saves wild bunny from flames....

I bawled. 

Offline Caeli

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/f99a0972daf043a5b2e7be7deb3d5d0d/Australian-Parliament-allows-same-sex-marriages

Australian Parliament says yes to same-sex marriage.
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s Parliament voted Thursday to allow same-sex marriage across the nation, following a bitter debate settled by a much-criticized government survey of voters that strongly endorsed change.

The public gallery in the House of Representatives erupted with applause when the bill passed. It changes the definition of marriage from solely between a man and a woman to “a union of two people” excluding all others. The legislation passed with a majority that wasn’t challenged, although four lawmakers registered their opposition.

“What a day. What a day for love, for equality, for respect. Australia has done it,” Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told Parliament.

The Senate passed the same legislation last week 43 votes to 12. The government later announced that same-sex couples will be able to apply to marry starting Saturday, with the first weddings potentially from Jan. 6.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/f99a0972daf043a5b2e7be7deb3d5d0d/Australian-Parliament-allows-same-sex-marriages

Australian Parliament says yes to same-sex marriage.
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s Parliament voted Thursday to allow same-sex marriage across the nation, following a bitter debate settled by a much-criticized government survey of voters that strongly endorsed change.

The public gallery in the House of Representatives erupted with applause when the bill passed. It changes the definition of marriage from solely between a man and a woman to “a union of two people” excluding all others. The legislation passed with a majority that wasn’t challenged, although four lawmakers registered their opposition.

“What a day. What a day for love, for equality, for respect. Australia has done it,” Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told Parliament.

The Senate passed the same legislation last week 43 votes to 12. The government later announced that same-sex couples will be able to apply to marry starting Saturday, with the first weddings potentially from Jan. 6.

wonderful!!! That really made me smile.

Offline Cassandra LeMay

Offline Arianna

« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline Sain

« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
To me this was the real positive news of the year.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-milestone-year-gene-therapy-medicine.html
In a milestone year, gene therapy finds a place in medicine

I may have linked before, but this needs more highlighting. People born blind are starting to see and other incurable diseases finally have a way to get cured. I hope governments and healthcare organizations around the world make the transition of these therapies into common use as this and other gene-editing technologies are just amazing beyond words.

Offline Szandor

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »

Offline Deamonbane

• “If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Oh, I don't get angry. I have people for that.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Happy New Years, folks :)

« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
To me this was the real positive news of the year.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-milestone-year-gene-therapy-medicine.html
In a milestone year, gene therapy finds a place in medicine

I may have linked before, but this needs more highlighting. People born blind are starting to see and other incurable diseases finally have a way to get cured. I hope governments and healthcare organizations around the world make the transition of these therapies into common use as this and other gene-editing technologies are just amazing beyond words.

I'm always seriously excited to read more about developments with gene therapy. I consider it to be utterly amazing and miraculous. It's things like that that make me love science. If you find more about gene therapy, please do share it here, Sain. :)

Hopeful Images from 2017, courtesy of The Atlantic

This is wonderful, thank you for sharing. :)

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/29/obama-twitter-good-news-2017/
Hope everyone had a good New Years!

I like seeing prominent figures spreading the word about good news--thanks for this, Szandor.

Happy New Years, folks :)

Happy new year!  8-)

Offline Sain

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:47 AM »
This was another pretty amazing one considering how indoor farming is on the rise (at least in here where farming in the snow isn't that viable).

Pioneering new technology set to accelerate the global quest for crop improvement

Speed breeding means that it is now possible to grow as many as 6 generations of wheat every year -- a threefold increase on the techniques currently used by breeders and researchers. Credit: John Innes Centre

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-technology-global-quest-crop.html#jCp

Offline Sain

« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2018, 05:20:00 AM »
I'm always seriously excited to read more about developments with gene therapy. I consider it to be utterly amazing and miraculous. It's things like that that make me love science. If you find more about gene therapy, please do share it here, Sain. :)

This piece talks a little bit about a significant real world challenge for some gene therapies. It's not strictly uplifting in nature, but I'd consider hearing about people considering every practical challenge as a positive sign of their dedication to the task.

Offline Orval Wintermute

« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »
Say what you like about the Catholic church as a whole but Pope Francis seems like one of the good ones.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/wing-prayer-pope-francis-marries-couple-papal-plane-chile
Instead of just blessing a couple's civil marriage the Pope performed the official Catholic ceremony. If the couple can't dine out on "the Pope married us in mid-air" for at least the next decade there is something wrong with the world.

Offline Arianna

« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
Say what you like about the Catholic church as a whole but Pope Francis seems like one of the good ones.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/wing-prayer-pope-francis-marries-couple-papal-plane-chile
Instead of just blessing a couple's civil marriage the Pope performed the official Catholic ceremony. If the couple can't dine out on "the Pope married us in mid-air" for at least the next decade there is something wrong with the world.
That made me tear up a little. I love this man so much... He is what this world needed.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »
That made me tear up a little. I love this man so much... He is what this world needed.

He really is. I just wish he was younger, because I really get the sense sometimes that he genuinely wants to drag the Catholic Church by the scruff of its neck into a more progressive stance. But he's really old, even by pope standards (ninth oldest to be elected, apparently), and fighting two thousand years of inertia will take time. Hopefully his eventual successor takes up where he leaves off.

Online Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Shamaniac ~ Melinoë ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Black Fury stepping sideways
  • View My Rolls

Online Oniya

« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/peeved-by-price-gouging-and-shortages-hospitals-will-now-make-their-own-drugs/

Four of the US's major hospital systems are starting a non-prof to keep prices for generic drugs down and supplies up.  Still very hush-hush on details, but a well-deserved slap in the face to Pharma-boy Shkreli and his ilk.

Offline Valerian

« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »
I happened across this while reading up on some other (much more depressing) news, so finding this story made me feel better about the world.

Train passenger wakes to find £100 gift from stranger

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
I happened across this while reading up on some other (much more depressing) news, so finding this story made me feel better about the world.

Train passenger wakes to find £100 gift from stranger

Really loved this, thank you for posting it, Val. ^^

Online Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Shamaniac ~ Melinoë ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Black Fury stepping sideways
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2018, 05:47:35 AM »
Carrie Fisher's posthumous Grammy win.

http://ew.com/music/2018/01/28/carrie-fisher-wins-grammy-spoken-word-album/

Space mama did us proud. <3

Offline Sain

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »

Technically everything these guys do counts as news, and I find them super uplifting so here goes ;D

Feel kinda sorry for the robot there. It's amazing though how quick they're advancing. Multipurpose helper robots might not be too far away!

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 11:09:33 AM »

Technically everything these guys do counts as news, and I find them super uplifting so here goes ;D

Feel kinda sorry for the robot there. It's amazing though how quick they're advancing. Multipurpose helper robots might not be too far away!

I’m waiting for the day one of these bots mule kicks that guy. :)

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »
I needed to feel better about the world today and this helped...

Legalization of same-sex marriage linked to reduction of suicide attempts among high school students

Also proof that me being a hermit is good for the environment!

Staying home...

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
Not really a news news story, but it made me happy anyway. 

Offline Sain

« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
Dietary supplement shows promise for reversing cardiovascular aging

Original article

I for one am always happy to hear that some studies are actually getting to the bottom of aging related issues. Read about some in vitro NAD+ tests some years ago, then mouse, and now looks like they're finally getting evidence with human experiments. Really great. And as an added bonus if it affects cardio vascular diseases then there's probably incentive for big pharmas to adopt and push this treatment into market at some decent pace!

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2018, 01:46:35 AM »
https://www.tehvibes.com/technology/by-2019-the-first-bionic-kidney-will-discard-the-need-for-dialysis/

More breakthroughs in bionic kidneys.

Scientists from the University of California, San Francisco have managed to create the first bionic kidney that can replace damaged kidneys. This kidney is a perfect replica for human kidney and should save millions of lives. The bionic kidney can be put into the human body by plain surgery and so far it has been shown to work effectively with everyone. It consists several microchips that are working with the work of the heart. This bionic kidney filtrates toxins from the blood in the same way as human kidneys.

Offline RampantDesires

• Oracle
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2018, 12:25:13 AM »
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180410084233.htm

This was super cool. Scientists were able to induce some sensation in the arm of a paralyzed man via brain stimulation. This has some potentially groundbreaking medical implications! ^^