Interest Check: Custom Sci-Fi/Dark Fantasy/Steampunk Fusion Setting!

Started by Lunaris, September 02, 2016, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chreestafer

Definitely interested in this story line.  I'm really leaning towards an alchemist of sorts. I like the concept of not being to special but finding a way to stand out.

Maybe start him out as a miner or farmer.

I do have a question. Was all the old world stuff eradicated?

I'm thinking of having my character be a collector of sorts. Maybe he goes into fallen cities and finds trinkets or books. Maybe he can he a merchant of those sorts.

Still dancing around ideas in my head
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

SheenaTiger

Quote from: Chreestafer on September 09, 2016, 03:52:05 PM
Definitely interested in this story line.  I'm really leaning towards an alchemist of sorts. I like the concept of not being to special but finding a way to stand out.

Maybe start him out as a miner or farmer.

I do have a question. Was all the old world stuff eradicated?

I'm thinking of having my character be a collector of sorts. Maybe he goes into fallen cities and finds trinkets or books. Maybe he can he a merchant of those sorts.

Still dancing around ideas in my head

Definitely not. Especially the Mechanists are using old structures for their cities and scavenge technology of old.
I guess in Mu, there is barely a chance for that but the former nomad Severed with the main bulk from which Alchemists stem might know about many ruins they had come across but never plundered.
Generally slow between posts ... sorry but Health-Issues and other RL-Things happen.
My RP-Search / BDSM-Test (2015-08-16) / BDSM-Test (2018-12-23) / BDSM-Test (2022-11-28) / My A&A (2020-12-16)

QuoteThe complete Domination over a Submissive is not based on fear and harshness, but is based on trust, love, guidance and understanding.

Elven Sex Goddess

Physical Description/Dress Style:
Name:  Lavinia  Sangreal

Race:  Empusae

Faction: the Focused

Classes:  Monk (Diplomat) Secondary:  Protector

Height:  5'9"  (With ears 6'9")

Weight:  136 lbs

Eye Color:  heterochromatic -(shifting hues in chaotic
random pattern from silver, light gold, copper hues.)

Hair Color:  Platinum white

Skin Tone:  Alabaster

Background Information:  Myths, fiction always have a basis of truth in the world's works of literature.   The most common mythical creature of the past.  Is a Jackatrope for a rabbit like creature.  Technically not a rabbit but a hare.   A rare cross breed of hare and antelope.   However, such is not the reason Lavinia has chosen her form to focus on and hold.   It is a representation of the white rabbit,  herald of the king and queen of Hearts in the fiction works of Alice in Wonderland.   

Most of her life has been while growing up with a nomadic monastery.  Learning the ways of discipline and focus as a monk.  All  in training for her life focus of being a leader, a diplomat of her people.    Her role is not as Infiltrators.   Such distinction should be inherently to others.    It is not that Lavinia cannot change or alter her appearance.  It is as choosing to be one of the Focused.   She chose her form for a genial potential with first impressions in the terms of diplomacy.   

Challenges come when a person travels the world.   Let alone such challenges are right at home on the island of Mu.    Thus her martial training as a monk.   With the secondary class as a 'protector'.   Her skills tested many times as like all of Empusae.   She has participated in the hunt and destruction of the shapless abominations that lose themselves and are affront to all.   

Her teacher has deemed her ready to travel the world.  To journey and meet others of the different races.   To gain insight and prepare her for the future roles she will play for her people and society in the world.   

In the end,  what trails in her journey throughout the world.   No real set pattern,  for chaos is what weaves through life and the world.  It is where fate takes her.  And hopefully the end result, the product is a accomplish polished diplomat of her people.  That much like the  White Rabbit that led Alice down the rabbit hole.   She will be herald that invokes integrity and trust with other races.       

Lunaris

@Elven Sex Goddess: Great character! ;D

There's just one thing, though... a secondary class. Since she tends to stick to her base form, Protector might be a good bet, since she could just focus on toughening her own skin to increase her durability in fights and other such shifts that wouldn't require wilder shaping or delving into chaotic magic.

@Chreestafer: Alchemists are indeed the underdogs in Caelia. Not as much as Severed (which tend to be viewed as useless by all the other races and are not Playable because...well...too weak), of course, but yeah. Sheena has the right of it. There are tons of ruins from the old world, though they tend to be overrun by nature and wild creatures and are highly dangerous to traverse as a result. The things found within (especially if it is technology) are of very high value to Mechanists and (if it is written materials/documentation) Lorekeepers.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Lunaris on September 09, 2016, 07:10:52 PM
@Elven Sex Goddess: Great character! ;D

There's just one thing, though... a secondary class. Since she tends to stick to her base form, Protector might be a good bet, since she could just focus on toughening her own skin to increase her durability in fights and other such shifts that wouldn't require wilder shaping or delving into chaotic magic.

I added Protector as secondary class.   Also going to clarify the eyes.   Heterochromatic.  Can mean two different eye colors or multiple color in the eyes.

Lunaris

Great!

*giggles* But...I stated that most Empusae are heterochromatic in their Racial Description. I know what it means. XD Although, if you wanna put the two different eye colors, you could totally do that. =] I'm going to be putting together some stuff in one of the group areas as more sheets start to roll in. I've got a few submissions (har) already. Once I do, a link shall happen!

Chreestafer

Ok, still dancing with ideas.

This is a far shot, but what about possibly making a loreseeker, who lost his powers? how, don't know, maybe the darkness got to him and drained t, or he's cursed? but now he, in all aspects, is nothing more than a alchemist seeking to regain his powers?

Again just thoughts, so if you don't feel like letting me run with it, I'm perfectly ok with it :)
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Lunaris

Hmm. If you're going with that angle, perhaps your character was a Loreseeker who was the apprentice or associate of a Voidthrall. Whether or not your character was aware of it, their associate/mentor got theirself caught summoning a Distorted being or tampering with powers beyond their control. Loreguards will either terminate the Voidthrall or sever their connection to magic. Usually, in cases of guilt by association, Loreguards will sever a Loreseeker's connection.

So...there's a potential angle. Your character (knowingly or not) associated with or worked under someone who was discovered to be a Voidthrall. Loreguards responded by terminating that mage with extreme prejudice and severing your character's magical abilities due to association.

I can see a former Loreseeker wanting to do anything possible to restore their connection to magic. Magic is interwoven into every aspect of Loreseeker society and being, so it'd be as if they'd ripped a part of your character's soul away.

Chreestafer

Quote from: Lunaris on September 09, 2016, 10:35:22 PM
Hmm. If you're going with that angle, perhaps your character was a Loreseeker who was the apprentice or associate of a Voidthrall. Whether or not your character was aware of it, their associate/mentor got theirself caught summoning a Distorted being or tampering with powers beyond their control. Loreguards will either terminate the Voidthrall or sever their connection to magic. Usually, in cases of guilt by association, Loreguards will sever a Loreseeker's connection.

So...there's a potential angle. Your character (knowingly or not) associated with or worked under someone who was discovered to be a Voidthrall. Loreguards responded by terminating that mage with extreme prejudice and severing your character's magical abilities due to association.

I can see a former Loreseeker wanting to do anything possible to restore their connection to magic. Magic is interwoven into every aspect of Loreseeker society and being, so it'd be as if they'd ripped a part of your character's soul away.

Awesome!

I'll have a more in depth character sheet tomorrow for you :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

SheenaTiger

Physical Description/Dress Style:

Name: Patrica Tabatha Rivers (or Pat or Tabby)
Race: Severed
Faction: Alchemist
Classes: Chemist/Bomber
Height: 1,75 m / 5'9''
Weight:  63kg / 138.9 lbs
Eye Color: most of the time purple (Natural: green)
Hair Color: most of the time purple (Natural: red)
Skin Tone: most of the time normal, neither dark or pale nor purple

Background Information:
Patricia is a severed, there is no denying that, despite the fact that she seldom is seen with her natural hair color and thus sticks out like a sore thumb among other non-alchemist-severed. She had grown up for some time with her family and studied the trade of her father: Medicine. It had not take long for her to pick up a lot of interest in Alchemy though, once she had learned about the possibilities, and imagined a world in which Alchemy could do all the work her father was doing, but with much more ease.

Her father realized that he would not be able to hold back his daughter from going down this path, so he organized her a place at a small school for Alchemists. It was a rather small school, only 5 students, counting Patricia among them, but the teacher was a graduate from the Academy in New Haven and most important, Patricia's father was able to pay the fee to enroll her, which proved to be much more safe than letting her begin her own experiments without any guidance.

It took several years for Patricia to finish her studies, but she showed prowess with certain kinds of mixtures, nearly always getting them right and had early on followed the path of the chemists, as helping others was still a deep part of her nature. Having the mixtures at her side when bandaging up her fellow students after their mixtures exploded was quite helpful as well, as she could use the experiences she had made at the side of her father quite well, especially in the beginning of her training.

But learning with other eager students would not leave her with just her potions, helpful as they might be, no she even picked up some of the more dangerous mixtures along the way, even though she barely uses them, but never, ever scare her. It is far to likely that Patricia might overreact and throw a vial with acid or a potent explosive into your face.

All in all, Patricia is a shy woman, sticking mostly to herself and her experiments, which had led her to a point, where she mixes many more cosmetic things and it is not unusual to find her with a new haircolor or her skin boasting a bright neon color while she was attempting to create a better healing potion or a mixture to shrink some of parts of her body back to their original size after they changed size shortly after testing a new potion. Of course, as curious Alchemist she is nearly constantly on the search for new ingredients, preferring the herbal and colorful kind but not shy to test other things as well.
Generally slow between posts ... sorry but Health-Issues and other RL-Things happen.
My RP-Search / BDSM-Test (2015-08-16) / BDSM-Test (2018-12-23) / BDSM-Test (2022-11-28) / My A&A (2020-12-16)

QuoteThe complete Domination over a Submissive is not based on fear and harshness, but is based on trust, love, guidance and understanding.

Lunaris

I just read through the entirety of Patricia's sheet and I love it! Well done, ShenaTiger! =)

SheenaTiger

Quote from: Lunaris on September 10, 2016, 04:44:36 AM
I just read through the entirety of Patricia's sheet and I love it! Well done, Sheena-Tiger! =)

I dunno.. .the ideas come quite naturally to me, given a little bit of time.
Like, why would she be a chemist?
What else would she maybe try to do?
How could she as severed (it's still her race after all) have purple hair like I like my characters to have?

3 simple questions, ending up in a simple background which leaves a lot open to have reasons to go out there, plundering ruins ^^

Krys

What do you guys think, would a magical shop make sense in that setting? Maybe Akarions Emporium has a door leading to this world as well.
Disclaimer (WIP):
English isn't my native language. I'm deeply rooted in a culture with significantly different (much more direct) communcation strategies than typical for the extremely polite british or canadian cultures, or the "optimistic" approach often used in the USA. Additionally, I'm not neurotypical in several ways, warping my perception and communication to an even further degree.

But: my english is JUST good enough to lull many readers into a false sense of security. Think of it as the communicative equivalent to "false friends words" which, while extremely similar in outward appearance in two languages, mean something slightly but importantly different. Like "I want to become a steak" makes perfect sense to a german... that still would prefer not to be butchered.

So please, if you perceive my words as rude, my intentions as unemotional or just weird: ask me. I'm not always successful in my attempts to correctly guess the fluff and embellishments needed for successful communication. Not in my native german tongue, much less so in english. Please do not interpret them as bad intent, but feel free to ask for clarifications. I'll try my best to solve such misunderstandings, and learn to prevent them.

SheenaTiger

Okay, this took me some time thanks to constantly interesting stuff popping up ^^
But here, a collection I think, could be helpful for someone wanting to make a Mechanist (only females though): https://uk.pinterest.com/christianpohle/sci-fi-style/

It's near impossible to find pictures matching really well what I would envision considering the descriptions... but I would say, unless one has a very experienced character who has seen a lot of stuff, that character would hardly have many replaced bodyparts. They cost some kind of currency after all to be produced and fitted to the person.
In terms of clothes... if there are no glowing parts... it's either not visible due to the light around one or they are shut off or only well visible in AR.

Lunaris

@Krys: Yes, it would! It'd be a perfect fit within a Loreseeker city. As for Eirian, being Fae makes sense, given that she's a half-elf in other settings. Fae are adaptable and often become a part of the societies they choose to fool around in. So a Fae Loreseeker (or anything, really) works well.

@Sheena: Actually, the link you provided doesn't really work. Not for me, anyway. Look to the Mechanist description to find a couple of pictures that paint a picture of how they look.

Alternatively searching "Cyberpunk" in Pinterest can get you some ideas.

Looking for "Sci-Fi Characters" also works!

You're only partially correct about body augments, though. Lots of Mechanists have augments present, from cybernetic legs, to ocular implants, to other types of modifications. The difference is how advanced and sleek they are. It is not determined by experience, but rather what the Mechanist does for a living. =]

QuoteMechanists tend to divide themselves along class lines, whether intentional or not. Inventors and Explorers are the best paid and most famous of their people and it is often easy to tell them from others as their tech tends to be of the highest and purest grades. They get updates and new products faster than any others.

Engineers, designers, builders, doctors, and others that work in technological and medical fields are usually referred to by the catch-all term 'Inventors' and are at the forefront of the Mechanists' ever advancing technology. They are driven to stabilize, improve, or invent new devices that contribute heavily to Mechanist lifestyles. 'Peacekeepers' such as Soldiers, Security Officers, and Special Agents do their part in the ongoing war against the Loreseekers, work to keep the peace within Mechanist society, and track down stolen technology or trace hackers. 'Explorers' focus on venturing beyond the borders of Mechanist territories to seek out the ruins of Pre-Impact cities or technology that can be re purposed for present-day use.

Farmers, merchants, and other professions that are not focused on the war effort or advancement of technology live life as the middle class of Mechanist society and are simply known as 'Citizens'. Their lives are comfortable enough, for the most part, but they will never strike it rich or see themselves getting honored for their accomplishments unless they somehow find some way to introduce a surprising innovation or invention to society.

Scavengers are the lowest on the Mechanist totem pole. Theirs is a motley crew of society’s rejects, from criminals, to disgraced or discredited inventors, to battlefield deserters. The technology they possess is often stolen, recycled, or looted from dead soldiers or explorers. They often live in slums on the outskirts of Mechanist cities where they plot to ambush other Mechanists or try to devise new ways to lift themselves out of poverty.

SheenaTiger

My bad, still learning pinterest -.-

Even with that description, I do not think it is viable for younger humans to have many implants.
The human body simply grows nowadays until an age of 20-25.
Those constant changes would require in some periods monthly replacements... with "older" Mechanists I see no such issue.

If I would play one, I might be an oddball I guess ^^

Lunaris

For younger people, I'd take it in a case by case basis. It is more common for teenagers and those that are still growing to use wearables instead of cybernetic implants and replacements.

It should be noted that Mechanist implants do not follow present day conventions in our world. Their technology and method of constructing it are centuries ahead of us. On top of that, they have evolved in such a way that their bodies easily accept them. Some implants are designed to grow or shrink along with the rest of the body.

Krys

Well no, no shop of mine in a loreseeker city. They are to fanatical for my taste. I have a deep seated distatse for anyone claiming to have "the Truth" (TM), and no char of mine would be willing to leave in a city of fanatics.

As talked in PMs, my char for Caelian could be a pixie/faerie faetech living in Aelfheimr or even Elysium? Windling sized, extremely curious, brilliant in both magic and technology.
Disclaimer (WIP):
English isn't my native language. I'm deeply rooted in a culture with significantly different (much more direct) communcation strategies than typical for the extremely polite british or canadian cultures, or the "optimistic" approach often used in the USA. Additionally, I'm not neurotypical in several ways, warping my perception and communication to an even further degree.

But: my english is JUST good enough to lull many readers into a false sense of security. Think of it as the communicative equivalent to "false friends words" which, while extremely similar in outward appearance in two languages, mean something slightly but importantly different. Like "I want to become a steak" makes perfect sense to a german... that still would prefer not to be butchered.

So please, if you perceive my words as rude, my intentions as unemotional or just weird: ask me. I'm not always successful in my attempts to correctly guess the fluff and embellishments needed for successful communication. Not in my native german tongue, much less so in english. Please do not interpret them as bad intent, but feel free to ask for clarifications. I'll try my best to solve such misunderstandings, and learn to prevent them.

Lunaris

Fair enough. I see what you mean. It's possible in a Fae city, too. The shop, that is.

And yes. The Faerie Faetecher could work. If they are adept with magic and technology (and as a Faetecher) I would be fine with them having one Mechanist and one Fae class if you wish.

Krys

Songweaver or Spellwarden andField Medic or Mana Techer. Which of the 4 lend themself to gadgeteering, and which need the least amount of equipment (remember her size / carrying capacity)?
Disclaimer (WIP):

Lunaris

Fae classes don't really rely on devices. That's a Mechanist thing. Field Medics deploy items such as drones and beacons to assist with or bolster healing and regeneration. Manatechers can amplify their spells with cannons or satellites.  In either case, their devices are either lightweight or float about on their own. Sort of like this.

Or this.

Krys

Hmm, and what about crafting? Any classes great at building small minions?
Disclaimer (WIP):

Lunaris

I haven't given crafting much thought, but I'd imagine that if the description of a class says it uses devices, they may know how to build or maintain them. And that's where their day job comes in. It wouldn't be a stretch for a Faetecher to work as an engineer, programmer, or such.

Krys

Songweaver Fieldmedic it is then. I play a song, and all my drones dance along.
Disclaimer (WIP):

SheenaTiger

Quote from: Krys on September 13, 2016, 01:24:38 PM
Songweaver Fieldmedic it is then. I play a song, and all my drones dance along.

Yay! A bard for on the road... a bard-to-go ^^