You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 18, 2017, 10:56:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Gnothi's Stories Without Homes - Seeking Male, Female, and Trans Characters  (Read 3393 times)

Offline GnothiSeautonTopic starter

• The Baddest Bitch in All the Realm. Mother of The Bieber. Defender of the Brotherfucking Faith. Captain of the Raven. Queen of Gilea. Lover of all things Kenneth Parcell and Lucielle Bluth.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land by day, Isle of the Damned by night, Church of the Sacred Union every Sunday
  • "Illiteracy?!? What does that word even mean?"
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Gnothi's Stories Without Homes

*queues up Sarah McLachlan songs*

For the price of one PM, you can give these poor, neglected stories a home...

Welcome to Gnothi's Stories Without Homes thread.

Every once in a while, my muse tends to have a mind of it's own.  It likes to get away from me and focus on one of my ideas much, to the point where I just *need* to write something for it in order to get the scene or story out of my head and put my attention to other things.  My muse is a pain, but it wants what it wants.

This thread is intended to be a sort of wanted thread/display thread for stories and ideas that I've already begun in terms of a starting post.  Either partners abandoned before it could start, or my muse just couldn't stop thinking about it. 

The stories here range from light and casual, to extreme and disturbing.  Each one will be accompanied by a short blurb spoilered, wherein I'll give light on the idea, the sort of character I'm looking to play beyond my introduction post, as well as what sort of character and direction I am hoping for with the story.  Nothing is set in stone, but it should be noted I strongly favor plot and story over smut.

If a story interests you, please PM me.  I might not be the quickest with PMs, with my schedule offline as well as my workload on here with my group games and attentions, but I try to get back to people.

One big thing to keep in mind:  Don't let the size of some of these pieces intimidate you.  In most cases, they're the product of an over-active muse, in addition to just setting the scene and stage for the story.  Most of my posts are a few paragraphs at most, and not novel-sized posts like some of these.

Also, please refrain from posting here in the thread.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:13:27 PM by GnothiSeauton »

• The Baddest Bitch in All the Realm. Mother of The Bieber. Defender of the Brotherfucking Faith. Captain of the Raven. Queen of Gilea. Lover of all things Kenneth Parcell and Lucielle Bluth.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land by day, Isle of the Damned by night, Church of the Sacred Union every Sunday
  • View My Rolls
Re: Gnothi's Stories Without Homes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
    Listings and Updates

Master List
    • Magnum Opus - Posted August 30th, 2016 - Seeking Male Characters - Taken
      A modern romance story following a terminally ill painter and her newfound muse in the form of a vagrant young man.
    • Contested - Posted August 30th, 2016 - Seeking Male, Female, or Trans Characters
      Set against the backdrop of an intense presidential election, this story follows the relationship between a popular Senator and a younger sex worker.
    • Owned - Posted August 30th, 2016 - Seeking Male Characters
      A look at a troubled and complicated relationship between a sex worker and a powerful and influential client.
    • Life Lessons - Posted August 30th, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters
      A modern romance featuring themes of adultery and taboo relationships between a teacher and a former student.
    • Playing with Fire - Posted August 31st, 2016 - Seeking Male, Female, or Trans Characters
      A story following a woman with unique abilities and the difficult relationships that follow.
    • Family Bonds - Posted September 1st, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters - Taken
      The tale of a man who, having escaped an incest cult at a young age, is reunited unexpectedly with his betrothed:  his devout sister.
    • Decay - Posted September 6th, 2016 - Seeking Female or Trans Characters - Taken
      A romance story about culture clashes with a 1% Biker recently released from ten years behind bars.
    • Claiming; or A House of Swords - Posted September 7th, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters
      The story of a twisted romance between two unlikely individuals as they seek to claim power in George R. R. Martin's Westeros.
    • Don't Let Me Down - Posted September 20th, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters
      A reunion of two lovers following difficult circumstances after thirteen years apart.
    • Family Reunion - Posted September 20th, 2016 - Seeking Male Characters - Taken
      This is essentially the story listed previously entitled Family Bonds.  This version, however, is with myself seeking a male character to write against while I write the younger sister.
    • Domestic Servitude - Posted September 21th, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters
      A story of intrigue, drama, and betrayal between a couple and their live-in submissive.
    • Lessons to Live By - Posted October 4th, 2016 - Seeking Male Characters
      A modern romance featuring themes of adultery and taboo relationships between a teacher and a former student.
    • Don't Let Me Down* - Posted October 4th, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters
      A reunion of two lovers following difficult circumstances after thirteen years apart.  Seeking someone to portray the abused character.
    • Owed - Posted October 5th, 2016 - Seeking Female Characters
      A look at a troubled and complicated relationship and it's evolution between a young sex worker and an older, powerful and influential client.

Updates
    • August 30th, 2016 - Creation of Thread, Magnum Opus, Contested, Owed, and Life Lessons
    • August 31st, 2016 - Addition of Playing with Fire
    • September 1st, 2016 - Addition of Family Bonds.  Removal of Family Bonds.
    • September 6th, 2016 - Addition of Decay
    • September 7th, 2016 - Addition of Claimed
    • September 8th, 2016 - Addition of Don't Let Me Down (1).  Removal of Decay.
    • September 20th, 2016 - Addition of Family Reunion
    • September 21st, 2016 - Addition of Domestic Servitude.  Removal of Family Reunion.
    • October 4th, 2016 - Addition of Lessons to Live By, and Don't Let Me Down (2)
    • October 5th, 2016 - Addition of Owed
    • October 11th, 2016 - Addition of Desperation
    • October 15th, 2016 - Removal of Magnum Opus
    • October 22nd, 2016 - Addition of Rent to Own
    • November 20th, 2016 - Addition of Playing House.  Removal of Don't Let Me Down (1), Don't Let Me Down (2)
    • December 7th, 2016 - Removal of Contested, Playing with Fire, Desperation, Rent to Own.  Shuffling of thread.
    • December 10th, 2016 - Removal of Playing House.
    • December 21st, 2016 - Addition of a bump post.
    • December 23rd, 2016 - Edit of bump post above to be new home of Contested.  Addition of a new post listing current cravings.
    • January 9th, 2017 - Reopening of Playing House.  Re-assortment of current cravings.
    • January 14th, 2017 - Reopening of Decay.  Closing of Domestic Servitude.  Addition of Guiding Hand.
    • January 24th, 2017 - Various thread edits.  Removal of some stories.  Tidying up.
    • January 28th, 2017 - Addition of The Old College Try.
    • January 31st, 2017 - The thread has been overhauled in a variety of ways.  To make the thread nicer and less scattered, older stories that are no longer desired have been removed to my storage thread.  Some stories have been moved around and placed in some of the former posts.
    • February 25th, 2017 - Addition of Contested.  Removal of taken ideas.
    • March 6th, 2017 - Addition of Duty.  Removal of several ideas.
    • April 1st, 2017 - Addition of Like Father Like Daughter.
    • April 10th, 2017 - Addition of Desperation.  Removal of several ideas.
    [/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:04:19 PM by GnothiSeauton »

• Lady
    • Addict
    • View My Rolls
    Re: Gnothi's Stories Without Homes
    « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
    Owned

Idea:  In a sense, this is not unlike Contested, listed above, in that it's a story between a sex worker and a person of influence.  But where it differs is that this is intended to be closer to a romance.  With this idea, I was looking to explore a young woman who is in the sex industry, who gets into trouble, and forms a relationship with a client who bails her out, and the evolution of their relationship from there.

My Character:  I'm looking to write the prostitute.  She's a young woman in her mid twenties who, unlike the cliche stories, is a woman who enjoys what she does.  It's empowering and exhilarating, not demeaning and remorseful.

Your Character:  I'm looking for an older male character.  I would prefer a family man in his early to mid fifties, as age difference is something I truly want to explore.  Perhaps a judge or lawyer?  I have a few faces in mind, but again, will defer to your decision.

Themes and Outlook:  I want to explore their relationship, from the first time they meet, to the bitter end.  I don't think that a relationship is something that she wants, and is doing it more to keep him happy, with the lifestyle he has given her, and the certain sense of comfort that comes with him.  Being able to resist the pull of the former career is something that she can't let go of, and would love to explore the relationship and the struggle with that.

The room had been cold, just flirting that line between comfortable and uncomfortable.  It felt good upon her nakedness, soothing, calming the still fast beating heart and heat within her.

He had been in the shower, the sound reaching her in the main part of the hotel room.  She knew what was expected when it came to Thomas, or whatever his name truly was.  They would do the deed, comfortably bask in that afterglow, for only a moment, before he would carry himself to the bathroom to clean her from his body.  The gentle, older man expected her gone by the time he emerged from the steamy shower, and Alicia Wesson was fine with that.

It was easier, she thought, to not see her when he dealt with the shame that came with cheating on his wife and family.

Funny how that so often seemed to be, she thought to herself, as she wiped her folds with a few Kleenexes.  How eager they were, how desperate they were to have her, and others like her, sparing no expense, just for a little bit of their attention and presence.  And then, how uncomfortable and shameful they were after the deed was done, when all that was desired was for loneliness.

The musings on such paradoxes were entertaining from time to time.  The attempt at unraveling the mysteries that were the minds of her clients.  Some just wanted someone to talk to.  Some just wanted to feel loved and desired.  And some just wanted to fuck.  Each and every one with their own unique reasons.  A lonely life and busy career.  A misunderstood family man.  A stressed soul just needing some sort of release.  She didn't dare try and psychoanalyze her clients.  In the end, none of that mattered.

The only thing that truly mattered to her was how much, and for how long.  Money and time.  The most valuable things in the world.

Tick, tick, tick went the clock in her head.  She had a few minutes to get dressed, gather her belongings and payment, and head out into the maze of halls of the hotel.  After a few minute wait for the car, she'd be on her way back into her normal routine, changing in the backseat while her driver navigated the streets and thoroughfares.  From the back of the car, she would emerge, her navy-blue cocktail dress folded away neatly in her bag, donned in the simple, casual attire so often seen around campus.

Back to her apartment, back to the life and lie she lived to all of those around her in her personal life.  The dutiful college student.  With enough time, she thought she might be able to sneak in a nap, a short rest to recharge her body and mind before plunging into her studies.

Until the phone would ring again.

Just as it had while she was sitting there upon the edge of the bed, vibrating away from the depths of her small clutch.  Alicia rose from the bed, stretching her taut, lithe figure before retrieving her phone.  A quick glance at the screen, and she did not hesitate to answer.

“Hey.” She said in a soft, gentle whisper.  “I was just getting ready to call you.  I'm getting ready to get dressed and leave my Noon appointment.”

Alicia could almost hear the grin upon Joanna's face.  “'Atta girl.” The Madam had said.  “Listen, I need to talk, like, right now.  I've got a bit of an emergency on my hands.”

Her eyebrows raised at the statement.  “What sort of emergency?” She asked after a slight pause.

“Nothing major or anything like that.” Joanna said, which made Alicia breathe a sigh of relief, knowing what dangers and troubles lurked in such an industry.  “I had Amie scheduled for one of my V.I.P's, a big one to me.  She got sick this morning, and I need someone, like, as soon as possible.”

Alicia turned her head to the door of the bathroom, the shower still going.  “But I just had an appointment though...” She said, her voice filled with uncertainty.  “Isn't there someone else?”

A sigh came from the other end of the phone.  “Sweetheart, I need you.  I've got no one else available with their day free.” Joanna said.  “If it were any other client, I'd try to reschedule, offer a discount, whatever.  But I can't with this one.  He's my VIP of VIP's, and you're right up with alley with what he likes.”

When Alicia hesitated, Joanna pounced.  “I personally vouch for him.  All of the girls who've had appointments with him like him.” She continued.  “Plus, he's an amazing tipper.”

Could she do it, she wondered?

“When and where?” She sighed. 

“You're a lifesaver.” Joanna grinned.  “He's at the Allegro, downtown.  Already knows what's going on and that you'd be running a little late.  He said to just meet him in the hotel restaurant.  He'll be looking for you.”

~~~

Ordinarily, when it came to arranged meetings with clients, Alicia preferred to stick to the sacred routine she kept for herself in preparation.

By no means was it some sort of strict, demanding regimen, nor was it something that could just be glossed over with an idle sense of care.  It was something that, in her mind, was simple.  Easy to follow.  Calming and soothing to perform.  After all, that was the entire purpose of her routine.

A long soak in the tub was often required.  If she were lucky enough, and her stores were stocked, the waters would be scented with fragrances from one of many bath bombs.  The water was always warm, hot, to help scrub away what dirt, sweat, and whatever else may have been lingering upon her flesh.  A drying out period, usually wrapped up in her softest of robes. 

From there, she would clear her head and mind of all of the negativity, all of the troubles and thoughts of her “normal” life.  Sitting before the mirror, applying makeup with a deft hand, she pushed such thoughts out of her mind, and focused on what was needed, what was required, for that evening, whatever it might have been.

By the time she left her apartment, she was often relaxed and calm.  Loosened up from the routine designed to calm and ready herself.  No troubling thoughts of whether she looked this way or that way.  Nothing but confidence in her steps, that sense of power and strength that was always comforting in what was to be done when meeting with a client.

But not always can one be as prepared and calmed when about to meet a client.

She sat alone in the little stall of the hotel lobby bathroom.  Her eyes scanned every inch of her face and eyes.  Makeup was touched up here and there.  Her dark hair brushed as best as she could in the small, barely private space.  She cleaned herself up as best as she could with the baby wipes in her purse, a refreshing spray of perfume here and there upon her body.  Every motion hurried, knowing that already she was running late.

She had made sure she was clean before leaving the other place, cringing as she asked her last appointment to use the shower, further prolonging their time together.  A hot shower with hotel courtesy soaps.  A far cry from the rich and expensive bath products that were tucked away in her room.

It made her feel as she had all those months ago...  Lost...  Naive about the ways of the business...  Ignorant of the value of such comforts...  Before she ever discovered the rush, the thrill, the empowerment of it all.

When she emerged from the stall, the young woman could not help but to give herself another look in the ling mirror of the bathroom.  Her hands smoothed over the navy blue material of the cocktail dress, picking away a stray hair here and there.  She looked good, she thought, as good as she could feel under the hurried circumstances.  The fountain of youthful innocence, containing that hint of something more...

A couple of deep, calming breaths.  The only thing holding her back as herself, she thought.  All that needed to be done was to step out and go.

Despite the lingering doubts in the back of her mind, the little ball of anxiety that went with knowing she was not at her absolute best, having just come from an appointment, she walked with a sense of confidence that was enviable.  Her long, dark hair trailing gently behind her, her high-heels clicking softly against the marble, she was ready for the night, and all that came with it, as she emerged into the restaurant of the hotel, waiting and looking for her client.
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:00:53 AM by GnothiSeauton »

• Lady
    • Addict
    • View My Rolls
    Contested

Idea:  This was a bit of a twist of one of my older ideas entitled "Whipped", in that a younger se worker becomes the object of an older client's obsessive desires.  But this has been changed a bit over time, with more of a focus on the relationship between the two as the surroundings change and become somewhat contentious.

My Character:  I'm looking to write the role of a successful female senator in her late thirties.  One of the true independents, well liked on both sides of the political aisle, an endorsement desired by both sides.  But beneath the charming smile lays a sociopath with a cold heart, willing to do what it takes to achieve her heart's desires.

Your Character:  Totally up to you.  I would be fine with any gender; male, female, or transgender more than acceptable to me.  I saw them as being a bit on the younger side (twenties or so).

Themes and Outlook:  I would really like to focus this as a political drama of sorts.  I saw the relationship between the two of them becoming more and more strained and contentious as it unfolds, with my senator becoming more and more possessive over her secret lover.  More than happy to discuss more.

Ashley Whitman
    Senator, California (I)

The cold, winter night's air felt so completely blissful upon her face.  It's crispness was a much welcomed change from the inside of the building, soothing and refreshing after having to make the rounds of the rich and powerful.  She could have stood there for hours, watching her breath steam in the air, floating up into the dark, cold gray sky.

It always made her think back to when she was but a child.  Looking out of the window each and every winter, hoping, wishing, praying for snow. Such nights made her reflect on that childhood mysticism that accompanied winter.  How nice it would be, to go back to those times.  Those simpler, easier times, when the greatest thing in the world on nights like that would have been a blizzard of snow.

Her melancholic thoughts were dashed away with the coming rush of reporters.

It took a certain amount of control to keep from groaning out loud.  Instead of giving the disdain she felt for them, Ashley put on her best smile and grin, her hands stuffed into the pockets of her long coat as she began to make her way down the steps.  Security came up around her like a protective shield, keeping the hungry sharks at bay as she gave them a little nibble for their sites.  A trademark smile.  A wave here and there.  Just enough to keep them sated.

“Senator Whitman!” One of them called out, brandishing a phone.  “What are your thoughts on Secretary Donaldson's surprise wins in South Carolina and Michigan?”

Ashley allowed a soft, amused laugh to escape her lips.  “I wouldn't say they're surprising.” She lied.  “The Secretary is a very capable and deft individual.”

“Are you close to endorsing one of the three, Senator?” Another voice called out.

A few more steps, she reminded herself.  The car was there, waiting at the curb, the black SUV of peace and quiet.  All she had to do was to make it there while walking the delicate tightrope that was Washington Politics.  “Now now, I don't think it would be prudent of me to endorse anyone at this time.” She said.  “I think any of the three are excellent candidates with strengths and weaknesses like all others before.”

More questions were shouted out, words clawing at one another for dominance over one another.  She said her peace, had given them just enough to chew on for their articles and posts.  “No more questions tonight, I'm afraid.” She said.  “Momma has to get home and get some rest before getting up with the kids in the morning!”  They ate it up with a few chuckles and snickers.  They all always ate that shit up, when it was served with a grin and smile.

A few more moments, she thought, keeping the pleasant, cheerful demeanor on her face, as the opposite door opened, and a man slid in beside her.  The warm, inviting smile kept upon her face for just a few more moments, until the car eased forward and began to creep down the busy avenues.

“Jesus Christ.” She murmured, removing a glove from her hand to massage her dimples.  “If I have to put on one more goddamn fake smile tonight...”

Mark Dalton laughed beside her.  “I think you're done for the night, Senator.” Her chief of staff remarked.

“Did Donaldson really win South Carolina and Michigan?” She asked.  “Who the hell did he screw to get that?”

“It's looking that way.” Dalton remarked as the glow of his phone illuminated the back of the cab.  “Thirty five in S.C., and thirty seven in Michigan.  Brewer got thirty four and thirty, respectively.  Jones got thirty one and thirty three.”

Ashley could not help but to allow an amused chuckle to escape her lips.  It wasn't surprising, the three way tie in the primaries.  For weeks, close to months, the polling was suggesting that the three would be running close races.  But none predicted that the Secretary of Homeland Security was going to pull out wins in the states.

The party heads had to be going nuts, she thought to herself.  They had all thought it would be a cakewalk.  An easy path to victory to dethrone the failing Republican president.  Select a leader they could all rally behind around, a candidate that could unite the party and the country.  And instead, they seemed to have a three-headed viper on their hands, snipping and snapping at each head, all in the name of democracy.

“You know the calls are only going to increase, right, Ash?” Dalton asked, his tone going more serious.  “They're not going to stop.  You're the crown jewel.”

Ashley could only nod her head at that truth.  She did not need to be told, to be reminded, of the position she was in.  Her poll numbers were high in her home state of California.  The It Girl of Washington.  Respected and admired by both parties.  The true Independent.  She, who kept her self above the infighting, who stayed out of the mudslinging and forged working friendships and relationships on both sides of the aisle, who helped to salvage troubled bills and legislation.

They all wanted her at their campaigns and rallies.  Both Democrats and Republicans courted the lone Independent of the Senate like Scarlet O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.  Supplying the endless flattery, the constant invitations, etc., etc.  They all wanted her, a victory to say to the American People that they were the right candidate for their races.  It didn't matter if it was a mayoral seat in the middle of nowhere in California, or the Democratic candidates for president.

They would call, and call.  Pour on the pressure to endorse one of them.  To choose between the three of the unsavory choices.

Secretary of Homeland Security Terry Donaldson, with his too extreme, hawkish views.  Representative Michelle Brewer of Massachusetts, with her pie-in-the-sky dreams and far-too-left views.  Governor Andrew Jones, of New Jersey, with that slimy reputation and past scandals.  They all had their baggage, and to choose between any of the three was if to choose a method of execution.

Ashley leaned forward to the front, and the driver behind the wheel.  “Paul, take me to the Apartment.”

The driver only gave a curt nod as Ashley sat back.  Dalton, on the other hand, could not resist injecting himself.  “Tonight?” The man asked, raising an eye brow. 

“Yes.” She said, putting her head against the cold glass of the window and closing her eyes.  “After two and a half hours of shaking hands and trying to raise money, I wanted it.  And now, knowing that I'm going to have to deal with those three buffoons tomorrow, I'm going to need it.”

“Do you have a preference for the night?” Dalton asked, undoubtedly looking through the listings of the site on his phone. 

A moment passed, as she rested her head against the mirror, drinking in the cooling sensation to fight off the looming headache.  She debated what she wanted that night, what sort of mood she was in.  “Surprise me.” She said.  “You know what I like.”

“Blue or pink?”

Again, she fell silent, debating the offer.  A boy, or a girl?  “Surprise me.”

• Lady
    • Addict
    • View My Rolls
    Lessons to Live By

Idea:  This is the inverse of the story above entitled Life Lessons.

This idea is focused upon the adulterous relationship between a teacher and one of her former students.  What begins as a serendipitous one night stand begins to turn into something more than that as the two of them navigate the difficulties of their feelings while being in relationships with other people.

My Character:  My character is an older female, in her early to mid forties.  She's a married woman, with kids, who, sometimes, just needs to get away.  Her marriage has been hitting a dry spell, her career as a teacher has been more demanding than ever.  But she's comfortable and happy with her life.  She loves her kids, loves her husband, despite the stresses.  And she loves her career as a teacher, teaching young minds and inspiring them to grow, a passion that comes out in her teaching.

Your Character:  Your character would be a younger male in his mid twenties, a former student of hers who was one of her favorites and one who was a good kid in school. 

Themes and Outlook:  One of the twists I had in mind was that this young man works at her husband's publishing firm, unknown to either of them until they reunite at the office Christmas party.  I would really like to explore the relationship between the two of them, while they are in the middle of relationships with other people.  I think it could be a fascinating thing to write, that struggle between the two of them, that competition with each others' significant other for love and attention.

Bethany Hamlin

The Crawford in the heart of Downtown hadn't been her first choice in accommodations.  On those special, rare nights, she liked to splurge on herself a bit, dipping into her savings for luxury.  Most often, it was the Ritz that she booked herself into, seizing upon the spa and fine dining offered to unwind, where almost everything could be had with just the pressing of a button.  But as booked as it was in the coming chill of November, she had to set her sights lower, and lower.

Spending the evening in the lounge of the Crawford, or any sort of bar/lounge, had not been her first choice.  The thought of spending a  just a few hours in the spa had been damn appealing.  But even she had to admit to herself...  Just stepping into the lounge bar made Bethany Hamlin feel as if what remaining tension and stress that had clung to her insides had been expelled with a soft, gentle breath.

She walked gracefully, with a quiet confidence in every step while navigating through the patrons.  A few eyes turned in her direction as she went past.  The little black dress that hardly ever saw the light of day from inside the back of her closet clung to her slender figure in a flattering way.  It brought a certain flush of color to her cheeks, to feel eyes upon her in such a fashion, a feeling that was oddly comforting, soothing in her age.  A reassuring note that she still had it.  They could look all they wanted, think what they wanted to think.  None of them would be lucky with her.  None of the men who looked at her in such a fashion ever did when she treated herself to such a night.

Some might try.  Some might be brave enough, undeterred by the wedding ring upon her finger.  Casual flirting, a few remarks here and there that only made the evening all the more entertaining for her.  Bethany didn't mind the flirting.  Not at all, on such nights.  They were a welcomed change, a comforting and sometimes amusing twist to the evening that was all about taking a break from the stresses and frustrations of the life that awaited her at home.

“A bourbon, neat, please.” She said to the bartender, a soft pleasant smile upon her face as she took a seat at the bar.

A breath escaped her lips.  Eyes closed softly, the corners of her lips gently curling into a soft smile.  For the moment, Bethany just wanted to savor the moment of being free and on her own for the evening.

No cooking dinner for the family.  No having to go over the girls' homework.  No great and grand battle for the almighty power of the television remote.  No worksheets to grade, and certainly no boring, idiotic papers to read over.  The one night out of the year where she left the life of a mother and wife, put away the career of a teacher, and was simply just herself.  Doing what she wanted to do, without having to worry about homework or dinner or anyone else's schedule but her own.

The sip of the searing, and soothing, alcohol presented to her only made the splendid reality of her night all the more real in her mind.  A soft, gentle sigh of contention came from deep within her, feeling the muscles of her body relax and unwind with the single sip.

Me-Nights did not usually take place so soon after the beginning of another school year of teaching English.  The once-a-year night where she treated herself, where she cut herself away from all of the stresses and frustrations of home and work so often were closer to the end of the year, where the rush of students trying to make last minute miracles with their grades, when she had to prepare herself for what was often the depressing, draining prospect of reading over so many finals essays and tests. 

Another sip of the soothing alcohol, another shovel of dirt over the stresses and frustrations of her mind.  But for the life of her, she needed her night earlier than usual.  Any chance to get out of the house, to get away from everything, and just be free.

If only for a night...