You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
March 20, 2018, 09:14:05 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Now open for stories.
                                            ~a mentor project

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A Day In The Life Of A Shelter Worker  (Read 176 times)

Offline VerdiTopic starter

A Day In The Life Of A Shelter Worker
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »

I've had a passion for animals my whole life, since the time when I was a little girl saving frogs from drowning in swimming pools to the woman I am now who rescues animals from abusive owners. It is my life, my purpose for being, my reason for living. I take it very seriously. It brings me a lot of happiness, but it also brings me a lot of sorrow. Working with animals is not easy. There's a lot that goes into it that people on the outside looking in just don't see. I've had people tell me that "it must be fun getting to play with puppies all day long", but that's not what I do.

I watch animals die. I watch them suffer. I care for dogs who don't even understand how to act like a dog because they've been stuck in a crate their entire life, their time with me being the only time they've ever felt a loving hand. I rehabilitate broken animals who get scared by just the sound of a door opening, who shake uncontrollably when a human comes near them, because they were beat into submission by a previous owner. I help euthanize dogs who are too broken to be fixed, dogs who are too sick to live comfortably, cats who are so aggressive toward people and animals that one look at them causes them to attack.

It's emotional, and sometimes I don't know if I'm going to make it through the day, but this is my life. Knowing that I'm changing these animals lives triumphs over the pain that I feel from seeing them hurt. It means so much to me, in fact, that I've made it my mission in life to help as many as possible. Which is why I'm a vegetarian, dogsitter, and animal rights activist who works with PETA. I'm currently working at an animal shelter (where I also volunteer), a vet clinic/low-cost spay/neuter clinic, studying to become a vet assistant, and practicing to become a pet groomer.

I also own two furbabies of my own, an 8-year-old cat named Columbus, who I rescued from an abusive owner, and a dog named Chessie, who I adopted from the shelter where I work in 2017. My major long-term goal in life is to go to college for zoology, become a zookeeper, and work with wildlife conservation programs (mainly focusing on big cats). However, until then, I'm content with doing what I already do.

This blog is a place for me to talk about my day-to-day struggles and a way to vent the stress that I feel on the job. It's a way for me to show others what really goes on behind the scenes, and to chronicle my journey through life as I help animals and move up the ladder in my education to do so. I truly hope you all enjoy it!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:17:40 PM by Verdi »

Re: A Day In The Life Of A Shelter Worker
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
Working at an animal shelter is truly a pain in the rear sometimes. For the past few months, my manager has been focusing on puppies (which I suspect is because the shelter is struggling financially, and puppies bring in some quick and easy money). We've had several sets of them come and go for about three months now, and we just got a new set in today, which you'd think is fun... but it isn't. Puppies are probably the worst thing to take care of in shelters, especially when there's multiple sets of them at a time. As much as I enjoy what I do, it'd be nice to take a break from them for a while. It gets stressful and overwhelming having to deal with so many for so long. I hate to sound so negative, but lets go over the pros and cons of these adorable little poop factories so you can see for yourself...

● They're cute
● They get adopted fast, so they bring in money
● They're young, so they're easy to train
● They bring in more volunteers

● They're poop machines
● They roll around in their poop
● You can't pick them up without getting covered in their poop
● Their bedding has to be changed at least once an hour
● They'll dirty and soil their bedding immediately after you change it
● They have to be bathed almost daily
● They always come to us with worms, and cleaning up piles of worms after they've been dewormed is disgusting
● They're constantly barking which leads to lots of headaches
● Their teeth are very sharp, and they're constantly biting anything they can get their mouths on including your hands, fingers, feet, and legs
● Potential adopters will ignore adult/senior dogs in the shelter for them
● People make sporadic decisions about adopting them as gifts and end up bringing them back
● They also get returned a lot because people don't realize they require so much work

I could keep going... but I'll stop now.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:00:29 PM by Verdi »

Re: A Day In The Life Of A Shelter Worker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:17:17 PM »
A Shitty Poem For Senior Dogs Searching For Their Forever Home

You may not think I'm pretty,
you may think I've lost my touch,
but if you'd just give me a chance,
you'd see I have to offer so much.

Yes, my hair is graying,
and I may move a little slow,
But I am wise beyond my years,
and I have plenty of room left to grow.

I've been sitting here for months now,
hoping to find a family of my own,
but when I bark nobody hears,
they'd rather have a pup who's less grown.

Please help me enjoy my last few years,
in a home instead of confined in a cage,
I'll make it the best time you've ever had,
if you can just overlook my age.