Windows Vista - Profiles not Loading?

Started by Faustus, August 30, 2016, 07:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

I'm trying to help one of my friend's out with her system, but we're failing pretty miserably. Here's what we know about the system:

• Windows Vista OS
  • Original admin profile went defunct and would only load in Safe Mode with all files missing. Now it cannot load at all. Secondary admin account was created.
  • Secondary Admin profile sometimes shows the exact same error and boots the system back to the Log-In screen. This only seems to happen if you try to Log-Out in the first place to switch profiles.
  • System Restore shows no restore points (like, EVER).
  • Virus and Malware software returned negative.
  • I'm pretty lost at this point?
Any ideas anyone has would be awesome. The most common response is to System Restore it, but with her having no return points. . .

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

AmberStarfire

I think you should have an option for a repair installation but if I remember correctly with Vista, it used to write over all the my documents, downloads and similar folders.

Faustus

I haven't even seen a Vista in years, so this has been an experience already. We're trying to just get her documents, images and things before she bites the bullet and just goes for a new system. She's had this since she was in high school and she's just a year or two younger than me. So it's ooooold and due for an upgrade.

But yeah - I want to avoid wiping her files away pretty badly.

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

AmberStarfire

I've heard you can install linux in to a portable hard drive or USB key, and then then plug it into the computer. Go into the BIOS when it's loading and select to load it from the USB key. You should be able to get in and access her files using its operating system.

Faustus

Update: After growing at the laptop and poking at it, I managed to get into her files. The most important thing has been rescued. 8D

AmberStarfire